Mrs. Georgia Klench, who is well known in her locality as a vineyardist and almond grower, has been a resident of San Joaquin county since 1896. About five and a half miles in a westerly direction from Lodi she owns forty acres of land, on which she has a pleasant and comfortable home, and thirty-seven acres are devoted to grape culture and also a few acres to the gorwing of almonds. She has been a successful manager, and the "oakhurst Vineyard," as her estate is known, has gained an excellent reputation for both quantity and quality of products.

Mrs. Klench is the widow of the late Joseph H. Klench, who died in San Joaquin county August 12, 1897, after having been a resident of the county about a year. Mrs. Klench was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, April 12, 1852, being a daughter of Jacob and Rebecca (Gregory) De Haupt, her father born near Paris, France, and her mother a native of Pennsylvania and of Scotch parents. Mrs. Klench was reared in her native county and state, where she was likewise educated, and on February 8, 1874, was married to Joseph H. Klench. He was born in Pennsylvania, and his parents resided in Stockton, California, during their last years. For a number of years Mr. and Mrs. Klench resided in McKean county, Pennsylvania, and they were residents of that state practically all the time until they came to California. Mr. Klench was affiliated with the Masonic order and with the Maccabees and with the Knights of Pythias, and in politics was a Republican. Mrs. Klench is a member of the Eastern Star at Woodbridge, of the Rathbone Sisters at the same place, and also of the Rebekahs, and belongs to the White Apron Club of her neighborhood, being a highly respected member of her community, tactful and business-like in the management of her affairs, and a credit to her six in all phases of her activity.

Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II

The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine

Return to Biographies Index, Volume II

Return to California AHGP home page

Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page