Mrs. Louisa S. Mohrmann, a well known pioneer woman of San Joaquin county, now resides within a few miles of Clements, where she owns a ranch of one hundred and sixty acres under a high state of cultivation. She is a native of Berlin, Germany, born on the 15th of October, 1836. Her parents, Henry and Julia (Miller) Frohmann, were natives of Prussia and her father served as a soldier in the Prussian army. Mrs. Mohrmann spent the first eight years of her life in her native country and then accompanied her parents on their emigration for America, her father having determined to try his fortune in the new world. They took passage at Hamburg on a sailing vessel, which after a voyage of forty-two days dropped anchor in the harbor of New York. From that city the family proceeded to Washington county, Wisconsin, where the father secured a tract of land and began farming. He continued to reside there until his death, and his wife also passed away in the same county.
It was upon the family homestead in Washington county, Wisconsin, that Mrs. Mohrmann was reared, being carefully trained to the duties of the household so that she was well qualified to take charge of a home of her own at the time of her marriage. She first gave her hand in marriage to Henry W. Schwartz, a native of Germany, and to them were born two sons, both of whom are now living. Mr. Schwartz died on the 16th of July, 1862, and his widow was again married in Wisconsin, this time becoming the wife of Christian Mohrmann, a native of Mecklenburg, Germany. To this marriage have been born three children, a son and two daughters.
In the year 1870 Christian Mohrmann with his family removed from Iowa to California, settling in San Joaquin county upon the ranch which is now owned and occupied by his widow. They had resided for several years in Keokuk county, Iowa, before they came to the Pacific coast. Mr. Mohrmann devoted his energies untiringly here to agricultural pursuits and continued to reside upon the old homestead until his death, which occurred on the 16th of January, 1896. He ws reliable in all his business transactions and manifested many sterling traits of character, which gained for him the good will and respect of his fellow men. He held membership in the Presbyterian church at Clements and in his political views was a stanch Republican, giving unfaltering support to the principles of that party. The cause of education found in him a very warm friend, and he gave active co-operation to various measures which have proved of permanent benefit to the community. Frraternally he was connected with the Knights of Pythias lodge at Lockeford, and at the time of his death the funeral services were conducted by his lodge, the interment being made in the cemetery at Clements. Mr. Mohrmann was a self-made man whose business prosperity was achieved entirely through his well directed efforts. He brooked no obstacles that could be overcome by strong and determined purpose, and as the result of his unfaltering energy and keen business discernment he gradually worked his way upward, gaining a comfortable competence. He was a kind husband and father and obliging neighbor and was widely and favorably known in his locality.
Mrs. Mohrmann still resides upon what is known as the Mohrmann ranch. She, too, is a member of the Presbyterian church at Clements and she belongs to the Rebekah lodge, the ladies' auxiliary of the Independent Order of odd Fellows at Clements.
Charles D. Mohrmann, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Mohrmann, is a well known agriculturist of San Joaquin county, residing near Clements, being the manager of the Mohrmann ranch, on which his mother resides. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen camp at Clements, also to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and he is a well known and representative citizen of his locality.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page