Mrs. Polly Campbell, a representative pioneer woman of Sacramento county, residing about three miles north of Elk Grove, has been a resident of this state since about 1851. She is a native of Pennsylvania, born on the 29th of October, 1825, and her paretns were Jonathan C. and Phoebe (Stiles) Tice, who emigrated from their native state of Pennsylvania to Steuben county, New York, when their daughter was in her second year. The parents afterward went to Michigan, where they spent their remaining days. The father followed the occupation of farming throughout his entire life and passed away in 1850 at the age of forty-six years. Their daughter Polly was raised in Steuben county, New York, and in 1842, about eight miles from Havana, she was married to Jared Campbell, also a native of the Keystone state. They became the parents of six children, with two of whome they made their journey to the west, but only one is now living, Garrett L. Campbell, who makes his home in Idaho.
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell removed from the Empire state to Iowa in 1846 and there remained until 1852, when they started westward, locating first in Utah, whence with her husband and two children she came to California, making the journey by wagon. Many of the emigrants who traveled in this way suffered many hardships, trials, and privations, but during their journey they were unmolested and altogether the trip was a pleasant one save for the fact they lost much of their live-stock and finished their journey with a cow and a horse in the yoke. Passing through Dutch flat they camped just beyond the American river, and Mr. Campbell made his first purchase in Brighton township, Sacramento county, becoming owner of about five hundred acres of land. Pioneer conditions existed in this part of the state and the county bore little resemblance to the present improved district with its fine farms and orchards, its thriving towns and its beautiful capital city. Mr. Campbell died a number of years ago but Mrs. Campbell still makes her home in Sacramento county, owning a quarter section of land in San Joaquin township, about fourteen miles from the city of Sacramento, and three miles from Elk Grove.
Mrs. Campbell is to-day one of the venerable pioneer women of this part of the state. She is a member of Enterprise Grange of Patrons of Husbandry and socially she has a wide acquaintance. More than a half century has passed since she arrived in California, and her mind bears the impress of many events which now constitute a part of the history of Sacramento county. Because of her long residence here and her many good traits of character she certainly deserves representation in this volume.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page