Hon. Philip M. Walsh, now representing his district in the general assembly of California and serving as chief deputy district attorney, is a native son of San Francisco. He was born on the 1st of May, 1870, his parents being Maurice D. and Mary Walsh, both of whom were natives of Ireland and came to California in 1866. Prior to this time the father had served his adopted country as a soldier of the Civil war, becoming a corporal of the sixty-ninth New York regiment, forming a part of what was known as the Irish Brigade. In the family were three sons and one daughter, Philip M. being the eldest.
At the usual age Philip M. Walsh became a pupil in the public schools of Oakland, California. In his early business career he became a reporter on the Oakland Times, and in 1890 became a court reporter, filling that position until 1895. In the meantime he had devoted all his leisure hours to the reading of law, and in 1895 was admitted to the bar, since which time he has engaged in practice. In 1899 he served as a deputy district attorney, and in 1900 was appointed chief deputy under John J. Allen, which position he is now filling. He also has a good private practice and has proved his ability to cope with intricate problems of the law and carry them forward to a successful solution.
The political support of Mr. Walsh is given the Republican party, and political questions elicit his deep and earnest consideration as they affect the municipal, state or national welfare. In 1902 he was elected to represent his district in the general assembly of California for a two years' term, and although he is one of the younger members of the body he is also recognized as an active and valued member of the house, fearless in support of his honest convictions and laboring effectively for the promotion of the best interests of the commonwealth. Socially he is identified with the Native Sons of the Golden West and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
In 1894 Mr. Walsh married Miss Annette Lefevre, a daughter of Dr. A. Lefevre, who was one of the leading dentists of California. Theirs is a pleasant and hospitable home and the circle of their friends is constantly growing as the circle of their acquaintance broadens.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume I
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page