Peter V. Dorland, who resides and has a fine farm near Trigo station, San Joaquin county, with postoffice at Farmington, came to this county in 1878. He was then a young man of nineteen years, vigorous in mind and body, but his worldly possessions lay in what the future years, by his diligence and thrift, would bring him. For several years after coming here he was in the employ of others, being engaged in farming operations in different parts of the county. In a few years he was able to start out for himself, and in the early eighties he began frming on a little place of his own. In 1890 he settled on the ranch where he now lives, near Trigo station, and has since been prospered as his progressive activity and energy deserve. He is the owner of three hundred and seventy-five acres, all of which is under a fine state of cultivation, and in addition he farms other tracts adjoining, making his operations all told cover more than two thousand acres of the noted San Joaquin valley land.
Mr. Dorland was born in Lenox county, Ontario, Octobe 3, 1859, being a son of Philip and Chralotte (Trumpo) Dorland, both natives of Canada. His father spent most of his life in Lenox county, but shortly before his death was in Texas for a time. He died in Canada many years ago, when his son Peter was a small boy of about ten years. The good old mother still resides on the Dorland homestead in Lenox county, Ontario, being now an octogenarian in years.
Mr. Peter Dorland was reared in Lenox county, and attended the public schools of his district. He lived in his native county until 1878, when he made the decisive move of his life by coming west and casting in his lot with the people of San Joaquin county, where he was achieved a successful culmination of his labors and gained the esteem of all his fellow citizens. He has fraternal affiliations with the lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Farmington, and is in other ways identified with the social and public affairs of his community.
On January 25, 1903, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Jean Stevenson, of San Joaquin county. By her first marriage, with Clarence Stevenson, she has one living son, also named Clarence.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page