Percy Vincent Long, city attorney of San Francisco, was born March 26, 1870, in Sonora, Tuolumne county, California. His parents, William G. and Mary J. (Linekin) Long, were both natives of Maine. The father came to California in 1850, making the voyage around Cape Horn and on reaching the Golden state took up his abode in Sonora, where he became interested in mining, and since that time has given his energies to the development of the rich mineral resources of the state. In 1872 he was elected representative in the state legislature from the district comprised of the counties of Inyo, Mono and Tuolumne, serving during the twentieth general assembly, and during the twenty-sixth session of the legislature he was the representative from Tuolumne county alone. In 1890 he was appointed United States marshal by President Benjamin Harrison and served for four years, representing the northern district of California. He has a wide acquaintance in both mining and political circles and his influence in both has been widely felt.
Judge Percy V. Long, the second son, was a student in the public schools of Haywards and Oakland in his early boyhood, and continued his course in the high school there until he put aside his text-books at the age of seventeen years. He entered upon his business career in connection with merchandising at Haywards and continued in that until 1890, when, having formed a resolution to make the practice of law his life work, he became a student in the office of M. A. Wheaton, who directed his reading until May, 1891. At that time he became deputy clerk in the office of the clerk of the supreme court, and while discharging his duties in that connection he continued his law studies and in October, 1892, was admitted to the bar. However, he continued to fill the clerical position mentioned until January, 1895, when he entered upon the active practice of law in connection with Hon. Frank H. Dunne, now judge of the superior court, this association being maintained until 1897.
In the fall of 1900 Judge Long was elected justice of the peace, serving for a term of two years and was then re-elected in 1902 to serve for a four years' term. In 1903, however, he was chosen city attorney, and ere entering upon the duties of the latter position resigned as justice of the peace. He made a splendid record as a popular and trustworthy official and his course reflected credit upon his constituents and the party of his choice--the Republican--upon whose ticket he was nominated.
Judge Long was married in June, 1900, to Miss Emma B. Sexton, a native of California and a daughter of William Sexton, who came to this state in pioneer times and is now regarded as one of the best known insurance men not only of San Francisco but on the Pacific coast. He arrived in California from Maine in 1853, and was closely identified with many early events which shaped the policy of the state in its formative period. He filled the position of sheriff in Placer county about forty years ago and also occupied legislative and other positions. Both Mr. and Mrs. Long have always been residents of California, and in San Francisco and other portions of the state have a wide and favorable acquaintance. Judge Long belongs to Golden Gate Parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West and ranks high in that fraternity, having been for four terms a grand trustee, while from 1890 until 1902, inclusive, he was a delegate to the grand parlow. He is also well known in other fraternal and charitable organizations. He has been exalted ruler of the San Francisco Lodge of Elks and is a member of the Court Palo Alto of the Foresters of America, Golden Gate Camp, Woodmen of the World, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and South San Francisco Lodge, F. & A. M. Although a young man he has already attained distinction as a leader in political and fraternal circles, and at the bar has won the prominence which comes through merit and earnest, honest labor.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page