Simeon S. Slawson, whose fine farm and residence are located a short way south of Sacramento in Sacramento county, is an old resident of this portion of the state, having lived here for nearly forty years. As a practical farmer and business man he has achieved a most desirable degree of success, and also as a public-spirited citizen he has lent his cooperation and assistance to many enterprises and institutions by which his community has been elevated and developed.
Mr. Slawson first came to this state in 1863, and after a short time spent in Calaveras county he went to Carson City, Nevada, near which place he lived until 1865. He has made his home and had his business interests in Sacramento county, California, ever since the latter year. he began life without conspicuous advantages, but has gained a large estate during his residence here. He owns four hundred and fifty-four acres of land in Sacramento county, and most of this is devoted to hay and grain raising. His home ranch consists of two hundred and fourteen acres, and evidences of prosperity and up-to-date farming methods are to be seen on every hand.
Mr. Slawson was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, May 13, 1841, being a son of Dewitt and Elizabeth (Horton) Slawson, both natives of Orange county, New York. When he was seven years old his parents moved west to Perry county, Illinois, being early settlers there. In that county Mr. Slawson grew to man's estate, and from the thorough training on the farm went into agricultural pursuits as his life work, which he has continued with excellent success ever since. His education was secured mainly in the public schools of Perry county, Illinois, and he also had the privilege of attending for a short time at McKendree College in Lebanon, Illinois.
February 13, 1870, he married Miss Anna A. Hite, who was born in Schuyler county, Illinois, being a daughter of Alexander and Arabella (Mathews) Hite, father native of Virginia, and mother of Ohio. Her parents crossed the plains with ox teams and brought her to this state in 1853. They were among the earliest settlers of Sacramento county, and they passed the remainder of their lives in the county. Mr. and Mrs. Slawson have one son, George H., who is at home.
In politics Mr. Slawson's adherence will be found with the Democratic party. As one interested in the various phases of agriculture, he affiliates with the Sacramento Grange No. 12, P. of H., as does also his wife, and his son is at this writing master of the grange. He and his wife and son are members of the First Christian church at Sacramento, the son George being an active worker in the church and Christian Endeavor Society.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page