The history of California as the state of to-day began in 1849 and 1850, when from the central and eastern portions of this country men of enterprise, individuality and strong purpose made their way by land or water to the Pacific slope, there laying hte foundation for the present development and advanced position of this commonwealth. It is now an honor to be numbered among these early pioneers, the honor to which Mr. Miller is entitled. He is a native of Bavaria, Germany, born August 10, 1831, a son of John P. and Louisa (Koch) Miller, also natives of Bavaria, and there the mother spent her entire life.
In 1850 Mr. Miller came across the plains with mule teams, leaving St. Louis, Missouri, on the 29th of April, 1850, and arriving at what was then known as Hangown, but now Placerville, August 25, following. He at once cast in his lot with the gold seekers, operating first in Placer county, then in the southern mines near Jackson, also in the northern mines on Nelson's Creek, and was successful in his various ventures. Investing his earnings in a mule pack train, he was engaged in teaming to the mines for a short time, and subsequently embarked in agricultural pursuits on the Sacramento river, twelve miles above the city of Sacramento, where he resided from 1852 until 1854, in partnership with Isaac Stone, conducting business under the firm name of Stone & Miller. In the latter year Mr. Miller sold his interest in the ranch to his partner, and then secured employment as a cook and manager for George Hardy, the proprietor of Mineral Point House on J street, between Sixth and Seventh, in Sacramento, where he remained for five years. In 1857 he sent for his father and the reaminder of the family to join him in America, he paying all the expenses of the journey. In the fall of 1859 Mr. Miller embarked in the dairy business in Sacramento, and while thus engaged the memorable flood of 1862 came, and although this caused him heavy losses he persevered and continued in the business until in March, 1872, when he sold his dairy and turned his attention to other pursuits. From 1883 until 1898 he was a resident of Sutter county, California, engaged in dairying and the live-stock business near Nicolaus, and in the latter year established his home in Sacramento county. His first residence in this county was on a farm west of and near Florin, where he was successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits for many years, but in 1904 he took up his abode in Oak Grove, his pleasant and commodious residence being located at 207 First avenue, where he and his daughter are spending their days in the quiet enjoyment of the fruits of former toil. He, however, still owns a farm in Sutter county, consisting of eight hundred and seventy-three acres of rich and fertile land.
Mr. Miller was married August 14, 1862, to Mary J. Connerton, a native of Ireland, and they had eight children, namely: Lena, at home; William, in Sutter county; Frank, who also makes his home in that county; Elizabeth, the wife of E. A. Wright, of Sacramento county; Albert, a resident of Sutter county; Louise, the wife of B. Donaldson, of Reno, Nevada; Jennie, the wife of Arthur Mahon, of Sutter county; and Victor F., Jr., at home. The cause of education has ever found in Mr. Miller a true friend, and while residing in Sutter county he served as trustee of the Lee school district, and also held the same position in the American River school district. He gives his political support to the Republican party, and is a stanch advocate of its principles. He is one of the honored and highly esteemed citizens of his community, and it is safe to say that no man in Sacramento county has a wider circle of friends than Victor F. Miller.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page