William Inglis, whose name is familiar to nearly every citizen of Stockton, whether of the present or past generation, is one of the solid and substantial old-timers, having come to Stockton in 1851 when there was little to mark the site in the way of permanent settlement, and having been closely identified with the business and public affairs during the fifty odd years since. A pioneer, a former mayor of the city, the oldest established and most successful baker in the city, Mr. Inglis deserbes more than casual mention in the history of the state.
Mr. Inglis is a Scotchman by birth and ancestry, born in Edinburg, January 29, 1827, a son of John and Janet Inglis, both natives of bonnie Scotland. In youth helearned the baker's trade in his native city, becoming an adept at the art, and in 1848, at the age of twenty-one, he emigrated to America and followed his trade in New York city for several years. In 1851 he came out to the Pacific coast and has ever since been a resident of Stockton. He had been in the town but a short time until he established the old New York bakery and restaurant, so well remembered by all old residents, its location being on the "Levee." He conducted this very successfully until 1859, and then became proprietor of the State Bakery, which he successfully conducted alone for twenty-five years, and in 1884 admitted his son, John A., to a partnership, since which time the firm has been known as William Inglis and Son. Theirs is one of the largest bakeries in the San Joaquin valley, and is an enterprise which for long continuance and high standard of business methods stands in the front rank among all similar businesses throughout the state.
The activity of Mr. Inglis has been not less in public or semi-public affairs than in his private business, and he has utilized many opportunities for public service. For a number of years he served as a member of the board of supervisors of San Joaquin county, and a portion of the time was chairman of the board, his service in this capacity being during the seventies and eighties. For three years the city of Stockton was fortunate in having him a member of the city council, and from June, 1897, to June, 1899, he filled the more important administrative position of mayor of Stockton. Since 1869 he has served as a director in the Stockton Savings and Loan Society. Fraternally he is affiliated with Charity Lodge No. 6, I. O. O. F., at Stockton, and for many years has been a trustee of the First Presbyterian church in the city.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page