Warren O. Robison has succeeded well in life's affairs, and is among the most influential and best known of the men who have devoted themselves to the agricultural and stock-raising enterprises of the San Joaquin valley. He is a pioneer of the state, and has been continuously identified with the interests of San Joaquin county since 1858. Thus there are many pioneer experiences in the forepart of his career, and his life is an interesting combination of both the old and the new in California history.
He was born in Genesee county, New York, November 14, 1822, so that he is now an octogenarian and wondrously active and capable for one who bears the weight of so many years. His parents were Joseph and Abigail (Strong) Robison, both natives of New York state. One of their sons, George, was a soldier in the Civil war.
Mr. Robison, in 1836, accompanied his parents to Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and was there reared to manhood and completed his education in the Pennsylvania schools. After he arrived at maturity he went to the middle west, and during the winters of 1850 and 1851 he was employed in the lead mines at Dubuque, Iowa. In the spring of 1852 he left that city bound for California. He joined the large company which was so well known as the "Rickey crowd," and he drove an ox team from Dubuque to Volcano, California, the trip being made by the way of Salt Lake. For a time after reaching this state he was engaged in gold mining, and also embarked independently in the dairy industry near the Mountain Ranch in Calaveras county. In 1858 he came to San Joaquin county and located on a ranch about eleven miles from Stockton on the Sonora road. Ever since that date he has been assiduous in prosecuting his ranching and stock-raising interests, and has made this line of enterprise unusually profitable. When he came here he purchased six hundred and eighty acres, part of which was school land, and it was all new and unimproved, and one of the best monuments to his industry and good management is the fine estate which he has developed in the subsequent years. He resided on the ranch and gave his active and personal supervision to its conduct for a number of years, until early in the eighties, when he removed to the city of Stockton. His residence at the corner of California street and Hazelton avenue is considered one of the finest in Stockton, and this city is noted throughout the west for its beautiful homes, being in fact a city of private residences. Since taking up his abode in Stockton he has not, however, given up his ranching concerns, and still pays personal attention to the agricultural and stock industries in which he has gained his greatest success.
Mr. Robison is independent in politics, and in all public affairs he is eminently public-spirited and ready to advance the common weal of his community. He stands among the self-made and well made men of California, and has achieved his success by his own diligent and persevering endeavor. It is related that when he arrived in this state he had but "two bits" to his name, and without capital or influential friends he made the start which led him to prosperity and a position of high esteem among his fellow citizens.
In November, 1858, he was married to Miss Mary Flattery, a native of County Galway, Ireland, and of the ten children of this marriage five are now living, as follows: John O., in Stanislaus county; Margaret, at home; Mary, Catherine and Annie, all at home. Mrs. Robison is a daughter of John and Mary (McCue) Flattery, who were of old representative families of County Glaway.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume I
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page