William Tierney was among the notables of early San Joaquin county history who have passed to their reward, and after lives of conscientious, upright living and successful endeavor in material affairs have been called to the next higher realm of existence. Mr. William Tierney was a representative of the best class of the man of forty-nine who streamed into the Golden state and sought fortune and home on the sunny western slope of the continent. He was among the first to take up his residence and engage in agricultural labors in San Joaquin county, and when he died on December 9, 1885, the county lost one of its best citizens, a man of great individual worth and excellence, who had performed the tasks allotted to his years with credit, and who left behind him a family who, themselves an honor to his name, will cherish his memory and works till th epeaceful end of their own human lives.
William Tierney was born in county Tipperary, Ireland, January 8, 1820, and was reared on his native isle until he was twenty years old. He then emigrated to Aemrica, after which for some years he resided in Boston, Massachusetts. He first came out to California in 1849, by way of Cape Horn and then went to the mines in Calaveras county, where he remained until he returned to Boston. There he was married to Miss Ann Murphy, a native of county Meath, Ireland. In 1851 the young bridal pair took passage on a ship and by way of Panama arrived in San Francisco, whence they at once came to San Joaquin county. The country hereabouts was then wild and mainly unsettled, and when Mr. Tierney located on his ranch six miles east of Stockton he was among the pioneers of the locality. He remained on the same ranch, engaged in its successful cultivation, until his death. His wife survived him, but she also passed away, honored as one of the pioneer women, on January 8, 1894. Mr. Tierney served as a trustee of what was formerly known as the Enterprise school district, and was always known for his public spirit and willingness to assist in any work for the public welfare. He and his family were devoted members of the Roman Catholic church, and two of his daughters, in a noble spirit of self-sacrifice and individual consecration, have given their lives to the beneficient work of the church.
Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Tierney, and three are living at the present time: Margaret A., known as Sister Agatha, is a sister in the Dominican order in Stockton. John W., the only son, died January 8, 1893, when past thirty-seven years of age, and was a well known and highly esteemed citizen of San Joaquin county. Mary J., or Sister Aquin of the Dominican order, is superioress of the Sacred Heart parochial school at San Francisco. Miss Annie J., the youngest of the family, is residing on the old homestead and gives her attention largely to its management. She is a lady of lovable character and is popular throughout the community, and has also manifested much capability in the management of her affairs. She is a devout communicant of the Catholic church.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page