William Thomas Stephenson, who has spent all his active career in this state, is one of the well known firm of Stephenson Brothers, who operate two of the finest ranches and agricultural estate in Sacramento county. His home is on the Lower Stockton road about ten miles sough of Sacramento, and he has interests in two farms comprising eight hundred acres, devoted to general farming, stock-raising and grape culture.
Mr. Stephenson was born in Chariton county, Missouri, February 8, 1857, a son of Igal K. and Miranda (Withers) Stephenson, both native Kentuckians. The father, who moved to California in 1877, has since been a resident of Sacramento county, and is now in his eighty-fourth year. He has taken a prominent part in the affairs of his township--Franklin--having served several years as justice of the peace. Politically he is a Democrat. His wife died in Missouri in 1862.
During the first nineteen years of his life spent in his native county Mr. Stephenson obtained his education in the public schools and was trained to farm life and work. He came out to California in 1876, and has ever since been a resident of Sacramento county. In 1879 he began farming and stock-raising in company with his brother James O., and in 1886 Edward G. Stephenson, another brother, came into the firm, since which time the three have conducted their extensive business under the name of Stephenson Brothers. In business circles they are regarded as absolutely reliable and thoroughly enterprising, and prosperity has characterized their work in all its departments.
October 15, 1898, Mr. Stephenson was married to Miss Helene J. Smith, of Elk Grove. Their son Dwight H. was born on December 4, 1900. Mr. Stephenson is a Democrat in poltics, with independent proclivities. Fraternally he is a member of Elk Grove Lodge No. 173, F. & A. M., of which he is a past master, and he is also a member of the Order of the Eastern Star at Elk Grove, being a past patron of the chapter.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page