ABEL, Simeon, Fithcille, (Brozerh): Farmer. A native of Bozrah, was born in 1822 and educated in the common schools. He is a farmer, and is prominent in the community in which he has been so long a resident. In the days of the old state militia Mr. Abel held the commission of a lieutenant. He is a republican in politics and has been assessor, member of the board of relief, selectman, constable, and collector, the later for twenty years. In 1869 he represented Bozrah in the legislature, serving on the committee on banks. He was the census enumerator in his town for 1880 and 1890,and is now a justice of the peace. These offices he has filled with great acceptance to his constituents and the town, whose interests  he has always earnestly striven to promote to the best of his ability. He is a member of the Congregational church, and its clerk. His wife, who is living, was Fanny E Stark, and he has three sons.


ABELL,Silas Palmer, Lebanon: Farmer. Was born in Lebanon, August 10, 1822, the youngest of seven children. His father dying in 1825, and the family not being blessed with much of this world's good, the subject of this sketch when nine years of age was put out to work for his board and clothes and was to attend school in the winter months until sixteen years of age. At the age of sixteen he made another bargain with his employer, in which he was to stay with him until he was twenty on years of age, and was to receive in addition to his board and clothes, one hundred and twenty five dollars. Young Abell, by improving time at school and evenings at home, was able to teach school two winter terms before he was of age, for which his employer received ninety dollars. During all these years there was no written agreement between the parties. The young man was faithful to his employer, and the latter was as kind as a father to his ward. He attended a select school for one term after his "time was out", and continued to work for his old friend during the summers and to teach school during the winters, until he was married. Mr Abell and his wife live on the same farm still, which they have owned since the death of their old friend. The old gentleman (Col. Julius Clark) died in 1868. Mr. Abell married Miss Sophronia Robinson of Lebanon, March 22, 1846. They have had six children, of whom three are still living, viz: Mrs. C A Brown, Mrs. Elisha P Spafard, and Myron R Abell. Mr. Abell has been an assessor, a member of the board of relief, selectman, town agent, notary public, justice of the peace, appointed to the latter office for the first time in 1850 by the legislature. He has probably  written more wills than any other person now living in his part of the town, and has settled, either as executor or administrator, nineteen estates of deceased persons in his district and those adjoining. He was a member of the legislature during the sessions of 186 and 1880. In his early manhood Mr. Abell was a democrat and voted with that party. He has subsequently been identified with the free soil party, the republican, and the prohibitionists; being led to change his political affiliations first because of his abhorrence of slavery, to which he believed the democratic party to be wedded, and last, for the reason that he held the temperance reform to be paramount in importance to any political party whose platform is not soundly constructed on prohibition principles. Mr. Abell is an independent thinker, and makes it a point to vote as he thinks. He holds no office at present, except that he is clerk of the Congregational church in Lebanon, of which church ie was on of the deacons for eighteen years, until he resigned in 1887.
ADAMS, Nelson, Hew Haven: Merchant and Manufacturer. Mr. Adams is a direct descendant of the colonial Adamses of Massachusetts, and was born in Hubbardston, Worcester county, July 6, 1831. As a scholar in the public school of the place, he had few equals. At seventeen years of age the chair factories of Gardner, Mass., were the first attraction, but more purely mercantile pursuits were his desire; and, with no introduction of assistance, he found employment first in the Bacon works, near Boston, and next held a responsible place in the stock yards of Brighton, which led to the business of dressing and curing Provisions for the markets of Fitchburg and vicinity. Then going to New Haven in 1856, and adding Bone and Fertilizer business, followed that line of trade and manufacture to the present time, having been thirty-eight consecutive years in business, depending only upon his own resources. During that time he has been honorably connected in his line of the manufacturing business in several cities, including New York, Hartford, Bridgeport, and Springfield. An active, busy life most of necessity attend these  various interests, requiring a fair degree of judgment to keep the several mercantile trusts entirely solvent during so long a period. Mr Adams might be classed as an expert in his lines of trade and manufacture, on one in the state-probably few in New England-having been for longer time or in a more familiar was connected with that industry. That he has been a busy man may be inferred from the fact that never since he was twenty-two years old has he been a day without business of some kind. When he was twenty four he built and owned a house free and clear, without financial assistance from anybody. He has always relied upon himself financially, and has never had a just debt that he was not ready to pay when asked to, or before. In character, Mr. Adams is of a pronounced type, as were his ancestors; and in habits, more natural than acquired, has an inherent disfavor for narcotics and their like. He has owned and driven houses from youth, and has a good word for them, and for their more considerate treatment; also a kind act and word for the helpless among all creatures. He takes an interest in the work of the Humane Society, having been a member of the Connecticut society since it was chartered. In 1868 he married Jennie E, daughter of Thomas P Dickerman of New Haven. They have had three children, on son and two daughters, but one of whom, a daughter is living. Mr. Adams is on of the directors of the New Haven Co-operative Savings Bank and Loan Association, and one of its incorporators, it being the pioneer association of its kind in the state. He has always held republican principles, and voted that ticket, but has never favored receiving political or local office yet taking a lively interest in the affairs of  the country and in local enterprises. He has had considerable coast-wise traffic by water, and his library contains quite a large volume of canceled bills of lading. In all Mr. Adams' transactions it has never been said the dollar was the all-absorbing thought of life, and it may be added that he is more than willing to refer all inquiry as to his past or present dealings to his partners in business in each of the above named cities who may be living at the present time.
ADAMS, Sherman Wolcott LL B, Hartford: Attorney-at-Law; President Board of Park Commissioners. Was born in Wethersfield, Conn., May 6, 1836, and is a son of the late Welles Adams of that place. The latter was descended from Benjamin Adams, an early, but not one of  the earliest, settlers of the township. The subject of this sketch is also descended from Ens. William Goodrich, Ens. John Nott, John Robbins "Gentleman," Michael Griswold, Gov Thomas Welles, and other pioneer settlers of Wetherfield;and from Henry Wolcott, the Windsor settler. His education was obtained in a common school (in the section now known as South Wethersfield) in the academy of the town, and in a select school or "institute" at Cornwall, Conn. His early life was partly spent upon his father's farm, and partly in a general "store" in Wethersfield belonging to his father. It was while in the latter occupation that he turned his attention to the study of law. His legal studies were pursued in the offices  of the late Thomas C Perkins and Hyman H Barbour; after which he studied at, and was graduated from, the Law School of Hartford University, taking the degree of LL B in the class of 1861. In March, 1862, he received from Secretary Welles a commission as acting assistant paymaster in the Navy; reported at once to Com. Hiram Paulding at the navy yard, Brooklyn, for duty on board the gunboat Somerset. The vessel proceeded to the gulf and was attached to the eastern gulf squadron. Here Paymaster Adams remained until June, 1864, on the same gunboat. At that date, being much worn down, he was relieved and came north to settle accounts, and also to regain his impaired health. In October, 1864, he called upon Secretary Welles and tendered his resignation, which was accepted.. Returning to his profession in 1865, Mr. Adams has continued in practice ever sine in Hartford, with the exception of one year, 1868-9, spent in Europe. While there, he devoted special attention to the study of the French and German languages, and translated and published Eugene Tenot's narrative of the Coup d'etat of 1851. He has also made occasional translations from the German, Spanish, and Italian languages, and has paid some attention to the Dutch, Portuguese, and Danish. He is also fond of studying the natural sciences, more especially botany. Mr. Adams has been much of a delver in matters of local history, having written many articles in that line. He is the author of several chapters in the Memorial History of Hartford County. He is a member of the National Historical Association, and the Connecticut Historical Society, having been one of the officers of the latter institution for some years, and compiled the pamphlet recently issued by it authority. While republican in politics, Mr. Adams has never been an active politician. Nevertheless, he represented his native town in the legislature of 1866, when he introduced a proposed constitutional amendment, providing for a sole capitol for the this state. It passed, but barely failed to receive the requisite two-thirds majority in the following year. He is the author of some of the laws of the state, of which, perhaps, the most important is the "judgment-lien" law. He is also author of the resolution providing for a topographical survey of the state,  passed in 1889. Beginning in 1877, her was for six years associate judge of the Hartford police court. Since 1884 her has been president of Hartford's park commissioners, and was the active member of the commission for the erection of the Memorial Arch. While not robust in health, he has never Ceased to be active in some useful labor. He is unmarried.

ADKINS, Henry R, Winsted: Harness-maker, has spent most of his life in the business of harness-making. He is a well know resident in his section of the state. He commenced life in the old town of Plymouth, and afterwards removed to New Hartford. Thence he transferred his interests to Winsted, where he has since resided. He is a member of the First Congregational church of that place, and a man of exemplary life and character. His Wife, who is still living, was Miss Ruth Ann Baker prior to marriage. Both of the children, the fruit of this union, are dead. Mr. Adkins was born in the town of Plymouth, January 30, 1815, and received a common school education.


ALLEN, Bennet Rowland; Hartford, Insurance Agent, Stock and Bond Broker, was born in Enfield, May 17, 1838, and was educated at E Hall's classical school in Ellington, Wm C Goldthwait's in Longmeadow, Mass, and at the Connecticut State Normal School in New Britain. He become a teacher in the Ellington school, which was one of the leading classical schools in Hartford county in its day. Subsequently he is engaged in manufacturing business at Windsor Locks, remaining there from 1861 until 1868. A portion of the time he was the manager of the Medlicott mill, which was occupied through the was in the making knit goods for the soldiers' use. Afterwards he became a member of the firm of C H Dexter & Sons, Mr. Dexter, the founder of the company, being Mr. Allen's father-in-law, and engaged in the manufacture of manilla papers. In 1868 he removed to Hartford and became the local manager of the Hartford Fire Insurance Company, the Royal Insurance Company of England, and of the Pennsylvania Insurance Company of Philadelphia. In addition to the management of the local transactions of these companies, Mr. Allen is engaged in the business of a stock and bond broker. He is held in the highest esteem in business centres in this city, and is deserving in every way of the universal confidence felt in his ability. He is prominently associated with Masonic interests, being  a knight templar; is a member; also, of the Connecticut Society Sons of the American Revolution. Mr. Allen is a republican, politically, but has paid no attention to public office, having resolutely refrained through life from seeking public position. During the war he voluntarily sent a substitute into the service, and was thoroughly interested in the success of the Union cause. The business in which he was engaged at the time as manager of the Medlicott company made it of great importance that his service should be retained here. Mr. Allen is active and influential member of the Asylum Hill Congregational church. His family consists of a wife and son The former was Miss Annie Pierson Dexter of Windsor Locks prior to her marriage. The son occupies a responsible position in the Society for Savings on Pratt street.
ALLEN, Francis Burke; Hartford, Second Vise President Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company: born in Baltimore, Md, in 1841 and received a thorough education, preparing him for the avocation of a mechanical engineer. In February, 1862, he was appointed in the engineer corps, United States navy, from Illinois, remaining inactive service until 1868. He was with various ships and squadrons, and on special duty in New York during the entire period. His service through the war was exceptionally creditable. In 1868 he resigned his commission in the navy to enter the service of the Novelty Iron works in New York. Afterwards he was assistant to the superintendent of motive power on the Northern Pacific RR. In 1872 he became the special agent of the Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company in the New York department. In 1882 he was promoted to the position f supervising general agent in the home office, and in 1888 was made vice-president of the company. His department involves a general supervision of the company's business in the field and the superintendency of agents. Mr. Allen is exceptionally adapted to this work by training and experience. He is connected with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers of New York, the American Society of Naval Engineers, Washington, D C , the Marine Engineers' Society of New York, the National Association of Stationary Engineers; and is lieutenant commander of the National Association of Naval Veteran Association of Connecticut, member of the Army and Navy Club of Connecticut, and of Robert O Tyler Post, G R. Her is the senior aid on the staff of Commander Wells,N A of N V, and is one of the most popular of the naval veterans of the state. He has resided in Portland, Me, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Ne York, and is widely known by reason of his business and naval associations. Mr. Allen is a member of the Congregational church, and a gentleman of the most enjoyable personality. He has a family, consisting of a wife and five children. The name of Mrs. Allen prior to marriage was Miss Margaret Louise Williams. In politics Mr. Allen is a republican.
ALLEN, John; Old Saybrook: Senator, was born in Meriden on the 6th day of February1815. He was the eldest of four children of Levi Allen, a farmer and prominent citizen of that place. He is a legal descendant to Roger Allen of Ne Haven, who was a contemporary of Rev. John Davenport and deacon in his church. His grandfathers, Archelaus All and Aaron Hall of Wallingford, were patriots of the revolution, and served in the war for our national independence. After receiving a good academic education he was placed in the store of Major Elisha A Cowles, in his native town, where, under the several changes in the style of the firm, he served a clerkship from the age of fourteen to twenty. In the spring of 1836 he removed to New York, and entered the employ of Perkins, Hopkins & White, wholesale merchants, then extensively engaged in the dry-good jobbing business with the South. He remained with that firm in confidential relations through a period of unusual instability and difficulty in the mercantile affairs of the country, during which time, by active participation in the business, he gained valuable experience in laing the foundation of his future prosperity.  Upon the re-organization of that firm in 1842, he became interested as a partner with Perkins & Hopkins; and upon a subsequent re-organization, was of the house of Hopkins, Allen & Co. It was, however, as a member of the last-named firm, whose high reputation was a fitting tribute to its enterprise, integrity, and success, that he became prominently known to the business world. On the 10th day of November, 1847, her was married to Mary Ann Phelps, daughter of the late Hon. Elisha Phelps of Simsbury. His intercourse with the people of the South made him familiar with their views and policy in reference to the institution of slavery, and preceiving the growing antagonism between free and slave-labor, which forshdowed serious difficulty to the country, he resolved to withdraw from mercantile business (then conducted largely upon credit), and established a residence in the town of Old Saybrook, where his family now resides. Being in active sympathy with the government of the United States in its efforts to maintain it integrity and suppress the rebellion, he received an unsought nomination to represent the nineteenth senatorial district in the state senate of Connecticut, and was elected thereto in 1863, and again in 1864, and in both years was chairman of the joint standing committee on finance, whose labors were of the highest importance in that critical period of public affairs, when the state was raising money for the war. The financial measures recommended by that committee and adopted by the legislature, not only enabled the state to creditably place its full quota of men in the field, but established a policy in the revision of the tax laws which has met the approval of the people of the state for twenty years, and reduced to a minimum amount of public debt. The present equitable method of taxing railroad property, in the basis of what it will sell for, by which the market value of its stock and bonds is made the measure of value of such property for purposes of taxation, was suggested by him. On the 17th day of June, 1864, Mr. Allen introduced into the Connecticut legislature the first resolution in favor of the abolition of slavery by constitutional amendment. He was on of the delegates form Connecticut to meet a convention of loyal Southerners at Philadelphia, on the third day of September, 1866, called to give expression to the sentiments of the people in support of congress against the defection of Andrew Johnson. He was prominent in the movement that arrested the "peace flag" heresy at Saybrook, or the raising of any flag not representing all the states of the Union. He was one of the fellows of the corporation of Yale College while he was senator, in the years aforesaid, the old law being that the six senior senators were members ex officio of that corporation. In the Hayes presidential campaign of 1876, Mr. Allen was a republican presidential elector in this state. In 1867 he was elected president of the Peoria, Perkin & Jacksonville Railroad Company of the state of Illinois, which position he held in the active administration of the property for twelve years. In 1883 he was again elected to the state senate from the 21st district, formerly the 19th, and served during the sessions of 1884 and 1885 as chairman of the joint standing committee on railroads. He was chairman of the legislative committee in charge of the public services at the inauguration of Warner's statue of William A Buckingham in the battle-flag vestibule of the capitol. For many years he has been identified with the public library in Old Saybrook, and president of the organization. In matters of church government he is a Congregationalist, in theology a Unitarian, but he attends the Episcopal church with his excellent wife. In politics he is a republican. He has two sons and four daughters. His second daughter is the wife of Hon. William Hamersley of Hartford.
Allen, Jeremiah M, Hartford: President Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company, was born in the town of Enffield, May 18, 1833, and was educated at the Westfield Academy in Massachusetts, preparing him for the profession of a mechanical engineer. After finishing his studies, he devoted himself to teaching for four years, spending what time he was able to win from that pursuit in special lines of research and investigation. In 1865, when only 32 years of age, he became the general agent and adjuster of the Merchants Insurance Company of Hartford. Subsequently he was appointed to a similar position by the Security Fire Insurance Company of New York and engaged in the business with characteristic earnestness and energy. But the insurance field in which Mr.Allen was to become a pioneer and the most successful managers, had not at that time commanded more than a cursory examination from American underwriters. The works of personal preparation in his case, however, had been continued with the utmost fidelity, and when the time arrived for him to engage in the enterprise that has occupied his maturest thought and energy, he was amply fitted for the task. Mr. Allen was an accomplished scientist when he became the president of the Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company in 1867. This company, which has become one of the prominent insurance organizations in New England, was incorporated June 30, 1866, the cash capital being $100,000. The late Enoch C Roberts of this city was its first president, and retained the position until the beginning of 1867, when Mr. Allen was elected to the presidency, and the company commenced the career of prosperity, and the company commenced the career of prosperity that has won the admiration of underwriters everywhere. When he first entered the field there might have been reasonable doubts concerning the success of the enterprise. It was new and untried in this country. The ablest talent is special lines was needed for the inauguration even of the first business of the company. In President All the man needed most of all for originality and leadership was found, and the work of his life has been one of gratifying success. The history of the great organization of which he is the president is the history of his own business career. Mr. Allen is the president also of the Hartford Board of Trade-an organization that has exercised important influence in business and manufacturing centers in the capital city. He is a member of the board of trustees of the Society for Savings, director in the Security Company, the Connecticut River Banking Company and the Orient Insurance Company, and one of the trustees of the Hartford Theological Seminary. He is also associate executor and trustee of the large estates left by Messrs.  John S Wells and Newton Case, the two estates agregating upwards of $1,500,000. These facts indicate more successuffly than columns of writing would the position which President Allen holds in a community in which fiduciary trusts are bestowed only upon men of the highest personal integrity and honor. To be thus honored in the city of Hartford is the proudest attainment to be reached in a business life. President Allen was one of the organizers of the Asylum Hill Congregational Church, and is a member of the Connecticut Congregational Club. In personal thought, aim, and life he is one of the most admirable exponents of New England Congregationalism. His scientific attainments have been already indicated in this sketch. The concrete proofs of his scientific knowledge will appear from the fact that he has been for a number of years on of the non-resident lecturers at Sibley College, Cornell University, member of the American Association of Mechanical Engineers, and of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He is also a member of the American Historical Association at Washington, D.C., the American Academy of Political and Social Science at Philadelphia, and a life member of the Connecticut Historical Society at Hartford. In politics President Allen is a Republican. He has been a member of the court of common council in Hartford, and of the board of water commissioners. For ten years he was actively identified with the management of the American Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb in this city, and is a gentleman of the broadest public spirit. The wife of President Allen was Miss Griswold, daughter of Hermon C Griswold of Ellington, and the family includes two children.
ALLEN, Samuel, New Hartford: Justice of the Peace, is a native of Barkhamsted, where he was born March 15, 1823. He was the third  son of Joel and Rosanna Case Allen, whose children were eight in number. He received his education in the district schools of his native town, finishing with a few terms at the North Canton academy. At the age of twenty-one he removed to Pine Meadow-which has since been his home-and worked for six years in the rule shop of H Chapin. In 1850 he formed a partnership with his brother, Philemon Allen, in a brass foundry, and two years later he bought out his brother's interest. In 1867 he sold his foundry business, and associated himself with another brother, Anson J Allen, in mercantile business in Pine Meadow. For twenty-one years Mr. Allen retained an interest in this store as senior partner. In 1887 he retired from business on a handsome competency, gained partly from his successful and upright mercantile course, and partly from a large interest in Iowa lands, of which, in 1855, he purchased some nine hundred acres. Mr. Allen is a republican, having joined that party in 1856. He was in earlier years a democrat, but joined the American party in 1855, and was by them sent to the general assembly of that year. He was again elected to the legislature in the 1889, by the republicans, and served on the appropriations committee. He has held various offices of trust in New Hartford, has been grand juror, is now and has been for twelve years a justice of the peace, and is a member of the board of relief. He was the last captain in his native town in the old state militia, holding his commission until the disbanding of the organization, about 1844. He has the esteem and respect of all parties in the town, with whose interests he has been identified for nearly fifty years. In May, 1846, Mr. Allen Married Miss Eveline U Case of North Canton. They have no children.
ALSOP, Hon. Joseph W: Middletown: Physician and Farmer, was born in New York City August 20, 1838, and was educated in the Yale and Columbia Scientific Schools and in the medical school of the University of New York. He is a descendant of New England stock, being the third of the name belonging in Middletown. Mr. Apsop's father was born and brought up in that city, and on his mother's side he is a Bostonian by descent. Most of his active life has been in Middletown where he has held important and responsible public trusts. He has served in both branches of the court of common council and represented the city in general assembly, serving on the democratic side of the house in 1873. During that year he was assigned to the chairmanship of the school fund committee and discharged the duties of the position with great credit and fidelity. He was elected to the senate from the Middletown district for three consecutive terms, during two of which terms he was chairman of the committee on agriculture, the six years of continuous services beginning in 1881. As a state senator Dr. Alsop won the approval of all parties, his course from first to last reflecting honor on is district and state. He has been a member of the State Board of Agriculture since 1881, and is now a member of the state commission on the diseases of domestic animals. He is a trustee of the Connecticut Hospital for the Insane at Middletown, having held the position since 1880, and being at present the secretary to the board, and has been a director of the connecticut Industrial school for Girls at Middletown since 1881. Hi is also a director of the Russell LIbrary Company, and of the St. Luke Home in Middletown for aged and indigent women. Dr. Alsop was nominated for lieutenant-governor by the democratic state convention, which was held in this city September 16, 1890, and received a majority exceeding 500 in number at the election November 4th. The personal popularity of the Doctor, who is known and honored throughout the state, added strength to the democratic ticket. In addition to his professional life he is a special partner in the firm C.E. Jackson & Co.; he is also one of the most successful stock breeders in the state. The truth is the Doctor is a Genuine Farmer and values the avocation for its own sake. At the election last fall the farmers extended to him a most gratifying support. Dr. Alsop has five children living. (Dr. Alsop died in Femwick, June 24, 1891, after the above sketch had been prepared. -Ed.)
AMES, Anthony, Danielsonville: Retired Merchant and Banker. Was a member of the general assembly in 1889 and served with credit on the republican side of the house. On account of his connection with the state board of education, his influence was of great importance in the lines of public school improvement. Mr. Ames was born at Sterling, Jan. 18, 1826, and was educated in the West Killingly academy at Danielsonville. At the age of 18 he commenced teaching school and followed that pursuit for six years. When he was 28 years of age, he engaged in the dry good business at Danielsonville in partnership with George Leavens. Subsequently, he disposed of his interest and established himself in the business of a merchant tailor. In 1858 he was elected town clerk, treasurer, and registrar of births, deaths, marriages, retaining the position for twenty years. In 1878 he was appointed treasurer of the Windham County Savings Bank. Ten years afterwards he was compelled to give up this place on account of impaired health. In 1889 he represented killingly in the legislature, serving on the railroad committee and the committee on education.  He has been a member of the school board at Killingly for 30 years, and is at present the acting school visitor. Mr. Ames will complete his third term as a member of the state board of education in July, 1892. He is a member of Moriah LOdge, F and M., of Danielsonville, occupying the position of secretary. The lodge is one of the largest and most influential in eastern Connecticut. The wife of Mr. Ames, who is still living, was Miss Abby M. Wheaton prior to marriage. There are no children. The subject of this sketch is most favorably known throughout the State in which he has represented the best interests of education and citizenship.
ANDREWS, George S, South Glatsonbury: Farmer and Miller was born in South Glastonbury, March 30, 1819, and was educated in the common schools of the twon and the Glastonbury academy. In 1852 Mr. Andrews vistid London uner contract with the late Samuel Colt of Hartford for four years to stock firearms for the allied armies in the Crimean war. After his return home he engaged in farming in South Glastonbury. He also opened a feldspar and flint quarry in the place and built a mill for grinding the product to be used for porcelain and china ware. The enterprise is one of extensive possibilities and will increase in value hereafter. Mr. Andrews is a democrat in politics and has twice represented his town in the general assembly, being a member for the consecutive years of 1876 and 1877. He has served a number of terms on the board of selectmen and has held other local offices. He is connected with the Episcoal church. Formerly he resided in Hartford. His life has been spent chiefly in farming and machanical pursuits. The wife of Mr. Andrews was Miss Louisa H Killam prior to marriage, and is still living. There are three children in the family. (Mr. Andrews died at his home in South Glastonbury, April 8, 1891, after the above sketch ahd been prepared.-Ed.)

ANDREWS, John E, Mt. Carmel Center (Hamden): Real Estate and Insurance, was born in Cheshire, November 17, 1831, and received a common school education. His father was a farmer in that place, and the son a the age of twenty bought his time and spent the succeeding seven years in an axle factory. At the expiration of that period he engaged in mercantile pursuits, real estate, insurance, and building. He was one of the influential men in the community in building up Mount Carmel Center and in securing the post-office for the place. He was connected for two years C.A. Burleigh in the flour, feed and coal business, and afterwards with the firm of J.E. Andrews & Son  for seven years at Mount Carmel. For a period of four years he held the office of first selectman and town agent, being elected in a strong democratic town, although being himself a republican in politics. During his administration a public hall was erected at a cost of $15,000. He was one of the charter members and first master of Hamden grange, and is an influential member of the Congregational church, being connected with the finance committee of the ecclesiastical society. Mr. Andrews has been married twice. His first wife was Miss Celia Kinney of Litchfield. The son by this marriage, George L. Andrews, is the postmaster at Mount Carmel Center and has been the chairman of the republican town committee.The second wife was Miss Hannah E Norton of Bristol. She is still living. Mr. Andrews is at present a justice of the peace and assistant postmaster.


ANDREWS, Joseph, West Haven (Orange): Carpenter and Builder, was born in Meriden, February 14, 1832, and was educated in the common schools. He is at present first selectman and town agent in Orange, where he is engaged in the building business. He has held the position of warden of the borough.. In Politics he is a republican. Mr. Andrews is a past master of Annawan Lodge, F and A.M. in West Haven, and has been a representative in the Grand Lodge. He has resided in the towns of Wallingford and New Haven, and is prominently known in his section of the state. His wife, who was Miss Eliza Jane Peck prior to her  marriage, is still living. One son is a physician in Buffalo. Mr. Andrews is a member of the Congregational church.
ANDROSS, William Francis, East Hartford: Secretary Connecticut State Agricultural Society, was born in East Hartford, Conn., June 21, 1850, has passed his entire life in that and the adjoining town of South Windsor. He received his education in various public and private schools, and was married September 21, 1874, to Irene E Bidwell of Manchester, by whom he has three children, two sons and one daughter, few men being more fortunate in the domestic relations. As a business man, Mr. Andross has been engaged in market gardening, tobacco growing, and at present as a commercial traveler in the fertilizer and chemical line, representing the well-know house of H.J. Baker & Brother of New York. For the past ten years he has been actively connected with the commercial fertilizer trade, acting at different times for the Bowker Fertilizer Company, the Bradley Fertilizer Company, the Soluble Pacific Guano Company, and is also at present agent for the Brockway Carriage Company of Homer, N.Y. and the Hartford Life and Annuity Insurance Company. While not specially active in politics, he is a decided republican, and has held various town offices. Mr. Andross is perhaps best know throughout the state as secretary of the Connecticut State Agricultural Society, to which position he has just been unanimously elected for a fifth term, and has filled its difficult and onerous duties with remarkable ability and success. He is also a vice-president of the Tolland County Agricultural Society, a director in the New England Tobacco Growers' Association, the Patrons Mutual Fire Insurance Company, the Hartford County Agricultural, and the Hartford County Horticultural societies. He took an active interest in the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, and was a charter member and first secretary of South Windsor Grange, No. 28, and was for two years a member of the State Grange executive committee, having the trading arrangements of the order in hand; was also a charter member of Crescent Lodge, I.O.O.F., of East Hartford. Mr. Andross has also been an extensive contributor to the agricultural and local press, he thorough familiarity with tobacco growing in the Connecticut valley giving his articles a more than ordinary value.
ANTHONY, Francis Granger, New Haven: Deputy Collector, was born in Lima, Livingston county, New York, October 6, 1830. He is the son of William Miles Anthony, who was a native of Harwinton, in this start, where he was born in August, 1804. Mr. Anthony's education was acquired in the public schools of Lima and the neighboring town of West Avon, with part of a year at a select school in Batavia, N.Y. The death of his father when the lad was but thirteen years of age terminated his attendance at school, as the family were left without means, and thus were uncle to incur the expense of a liberal education. During the years of his father's death Mr. Anthony came to New Haven,-part of the trip, from Rochester to Albany, being made on a canal boat,-to live with his uncle, Willis M. Anthony, who proved to be better, if possible, thank a father to him. Here he spent nearly four years as clerk, first in Washington Yale's drygoods store, and then with Fairman & Johnson. He is one of the original "Forty-niners," having taken the California gold fever on it first outbreak. On the 6th of February, 1849, he sailed from New York with a party of gold-seekers for California on the bark Clarissa Perkins, going around Cape Horn, the trip occupying two hundred and seventeen days. Arriving in San Francisco, the party disbanded, and Mr. Anthony went to the mines. He was a practical gold miner for two years, meeting with varying success, making some days $200 a day, other days nothing. Was a baker in Nevada, California, for about one year, at which business he did better than at mining-the income being more certain, and not so much up and down as in "prospecting for diggins." He returned east in 1852; lived in Michigan two years, operating a foundry; went to Kentucky in 1854, where he was in general Merchandizing eleven years at Athens, in Fayette county, seven or eight years of which time he was postmaster. The succeeding five years he spent in New York City, and in 1870 he returned to New Haven, where he has since been employed in the tax collector's office; at the present time is the deputy tax collector, and for the last thirteen years has been the rat-book maker. He has been a director in the Masonic Mutual Benefit Association of New Haven for fourteen years, and is a present executor of several estates. He is also a commissioner of the superior court for New Haven county. His acquaintance with New Haven people is very extensive, his business giving him familiarity with nealy every tax-payer in the  city. He has been a lifelong democrat, though not an active politician; is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity in which he has take all the degrees up to and including the thirty-second. He has held the office of recorder of New Haven Commandery. Knights Templar, since 1880; belongs to the Arabic order of the Mystic Shrine. Mr. Anthony was married July 31, 1854, to Miss Electa Hulbert of Ann Arbor, Michigan, by whom he has had three children. Mrs. Anthony died February 29, 1888, and but one of the children, the youngest, has survived her.
ANTHONY, W.A. (Prof.), Manchester: Electrician. The subject of this sketch was born November 17, 1835, at Coventry, Rohde Island. He attended the village school, where he gegan at an early agethe study of algebra and geometry. He also read all the books on science to be found in the school library and obtained considerable experience with machinery and tools in his father's mill. At the age of 15 he went to the Friends' Boarding School in Providence, where he pursued his favorite studies in mathematics and science, and for a time assisted in the preparation of experiments for the lectrues on chemistry and physics. Completing his preparations for college at the academy at East Greenwich, he entered Brown University in 1854, fbut under the compulsion of his deepening interest in mathematical and scientific studies he left Brown to enter the Scientific School at Yale, where he graduated in 1856. After graduating, Prof. Anthony became the principal of agraded school. He then taught science in an academy, then physics and chemistry at Agricultural College, and in 1872 he was called to Cornell University to take charge of the department of physics. He remained there till 1887, and left behind hime an imprint that the work of Cornell in his specially strong in electricity and optics, and he devised a great number of experiments to illustrate his instruction. Even in the academy, in 1863-66, his students in physics were required to preform experiments for themselves. This was the begining of his physical laboratory instruction, which he tried to improve upon and extend as long as he had to do with students, and to prepare for their careers the physicists and engineers of the next generation. It is interesting to not tat in 1874, after trying in vain to cprcure a Gramme machine from Europe, as a peice of laboratory apparatus, he designed and constructed on for the university laboratory himself. This machine was exhibited at the Philadelphia centennial exhibition in 1876. It is still in use and doing good services in the physical laboratory at Cornell. In 1881, appreciating with clear foresight the important place that electrical applications were to take in the near future, Professor Anthony set on foot a movement looking to the establishment at Cornell of a special course of study for the training of electrical engineers. This plan met with great opposition at first, but was finally successful, and the course is now one of the best attended in the university. In 1887, desiring releif in a change of occupation, Prof. Anthony resigned the appointment he had held with so much credit to himself and so much honor to Cornell, and assumed the duties of electrician for the Mather Electric Company of Manchester, in this State, in which capacity he has since continued, devoting himself to the improvement of the apparatus and the extension of the affairs of the company.
ARNOLD, Charles, Thompson: Cashier of the Thompson National Bank, was born in Coventry, R.I., September 12, 1843, and was educated at the common schools, and at the Westerly, R.I. high school. He followed the business of a carpenter in early life, but for the most part has been a bookkeeper, and latterly a banker. He was bookkeeper for the Grosvenordale Company at North Gosvernordale, for twelve years, and has been connected with the Thompson Bank for five years. At present he is cashier of the Thompson National Bank and treasurer of the Dime Savings Bank of that place. He is a republican, but has never held public office. He is a deacon of the Baptist church in Thompson, and is connected with the Putnam Council, Royal Arcanum. His wife was Annie A Sweet, and they have one son and two daughters. Mr. Arnold is a well know as any man in the northeastern section of the state, is recognized as a financier of more than average ability, and has the respect of business men everywhere.
ATWOOD, Eugene F (Rev), Bloomfield: Pastor of Congregational Church, is a descendant of Dr. Thomas Atwood, who came from Essex, England, in 1640, to Plymouth, Mass., and settled in Wethersfield, Conn., about 1660. On one line he is a direct descendant from Solomon Stoddard of North Hampton, Mass., and Rev. John Warham, the first pastor of Windsor. He was born in Woodbury, March 14, 1847. He is married and has two children, a boy and a girl. He enlisted at fifteen years of age from the district school July 14, 1862, in Company A, Fifteenth Connecticut Volunteers. He has served two years as state chaplain of the G A R, was also commander of D.S. Cowles Post, and delegate to the national encampment of the G A R in California. After the war he began a course, preparatory to entering college, in a private school in Woodbury. In 1868 he entered Madison University (now Colgate), Hamilton, N.Y. In 1870 he removed to Oberlin, Ohio. After two years in the college he entered the Theological Department, and graduated in August 1875. In December, 1875, he was ordained and installed pastor of the Congregational church at Arcade, N.Y. In the summer of 1877 the society voted to tear down the old church and build a new one at a cost $6,000, and granted Mr. Atwood a leave of absence for six months. He immediately entered the government employ as assistant superintendent of construction, and with a party he assisted in laying out Fort Keogh on the Yellowstone river. In the fall he returned, and, finding some dissatisfaction arising from his activity in raising the forney for the new church, he at once resigned his pastorate to accept a call or Rodman, N.Y. Here a great revival followed his labors, and the church was repaired at a cost of $3,000. The Home Missionary Society extended him a call to the pastorate of the Congregational church at Deadwood, Dakota, and to supervise their new work in the Black Hills. In the fall of 1878 he accepted this call. Here he found full opportunity for the exercise of his natural organizing and financial ability. He assisted in organizing and procuring pastors for nine churches. This association of churches voted to locate a college in that region and appointed Mr. Atwood their financial agent. A college charter was secured, the first granted by the territory of Dakota. A preparatory school was sustained, forty acres of land secured at a value of $8,000, and a building erected at a cost of $3,000 more. A bill was introduced in the territorial legislature to establish a Normal school in connection with this school at Spearfish. The bill was so amended as to include three other Normal schools, locating two in North and two in South Dakota; these are now in successful operation. The position of county superintendent of schools was offered. Mr. Atwood, but his health began to fail under his multiplied labors, and he was obliged to resign his pastorate and return East. After a few months's rest he accepted a call to a small country church in Bridgewater in this state, where he remained three years, and then accepted a call to the church in East Canaan. A division in the society as to location of the church arose, and Mr. Atwood resigned. Soon after one party withdrew and formed the Plymouth church of North Canaan. After supplying a few months in Harwinton, he accepted the call to his present pastorate in Bloomfield in May, 1887. Mr. Atwood has take much interest in photographing the historic homes of old Connecticut, and is at present the accredited lecturer of the Connecticut Historical Society. He is frequently called to read papers pertaining to the history of Connecticut before learned societies in other states, and is much in demand for memorial and other addresses in locations where he is known.
ATTWOOD, Julius, East Haddam: Attorney-at-Law; President National Bank of New England, was born at East Haddam, February 23, 1824, and has resided in that town continuously since his birth, except from the years 1847 to 1854. He was the fifth of the seven living children left y his father, who died in 1829, five of whom are still living. He was educated in the common schools of his native town until he was twelve years of age, after which time he was employed for five years in coasting trade and in ferrying on the Connecticut river. Not being robust, he served a four-year apprenticeship at shoemaking, but did not continue that occupation after attaining his majority. During his leisure, while an apprentice, he studied by himself and fitted himself as a teacher, and for seven years he taught in the public and higher schools on Long Island and in Maryland. Returning to East Haddam in 1854, he commenced business in a "country store" and continued in trade until 1870, when after a course in reading law, he was duly admitted to the Middlesex county bar, and has followed the profession of law since that time. In 1856 he was elected justice of the peace, which office he has continuously held ever since; and for fourteen years of that time was trial justice of the town; also from 1866 was for nineteen years town clerk and registrar of East Haddam. Elected judge of probate for the district of East Haddam in 1859, he has held that position ever since-for thirty-two years-it being probably a longer continuous period than that held by any other judge in this state now living. In 1873 and 1874 he represented his town in the general assembly, but was defeated afterwards when nominated for the office of senator for the nineteenth senatorial district, by a small plurality, there being a local panic that year among the "pound fishermen" along the sound sore. Being again nominated to that office, he declined. In 1866 he served one year as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F., of connecticut, and represented that body in the sovereign grand lodge during 1867 and 1868. For many years he has been connected with the National Bank of New England as a director, and has been its president since 1883. Visiting Europe in 1880, he traveled extensively in France, Italy, Switzerland, German, Holland, Belgium, England, and Scotland. Politically, he has always been connected with the whig and republican parties. Though favoring Methodism in his youth, in his riper years he thought he could more honor the memory of its great founder by being received into the older church that John Wesley and his brother Charles never dared to forsake; and for forty-eight years he has ben a communicant in the Episcopal church. Mr. Attwood has twice married; first in 1852 to Sarah A Gould of Stonybrook, Long Island, who died in 1860, leaving one son, Frederick J Attwood, now a resident of Brooklyn, NY, who is also married and has four children. Second, in 1862, he married Catharine Palmer of East Haddam, who is still living and whose only child, Bertha Palmer Attwood, is now a student in the Yale Art School, New Haven.
AUSTIN, Wilbert N, Plymouth, was born in the town of Goshen, June 23,

1859, and was educated in the Torrington high school. He is proprietor of the stage line between Thomaston and Terryville and carries the United States mail. He is a vestryman of St. Peter's church in Plymouth and is thoroughly interested in the work of the church. In politics Mr. Austin is a democrat. He lived in the town of Goshen until he was thirteen years of age, when he removed to Torrington, residing there for five years. Most of his business life has been spent in Plymouth. He was married in 1882 to Miss Minnie I Mattoon of Plymouth. The have one son, Ellsworth Wells Austin, born May 23, 1891.


AUSTIN, Willis Rogers, Norwich; Retired Cotton Dealer and Banker, was born in Norwich, January 31, 1819, and was educated for the bar, being a graduate of the Yale Law School. He spent a number of years in Texas after his graduation form the university, being engaged chiefly in cotton speculation. Subsequently, he engaged in the banking business  in Philadelphia. Success was met with in each of these enterprises, enabling him to retire from active pursuits a number of years ago. Mr. Austin traveled extensively in this country and Europe before finally returning to his old home in Norwich for a permanent residence. In 1874 he was elected a member of the general assembly from he town of Norwich, his colleague being the Hon. Allen Tenney. His associates in the house that year from New London county included Railroad Commissioner Wm H Hayard, Erstus D Day of Colchester, chairman for tour years of the republican state central committee, and the Hon. Benjamin Stark of New London. In 1875 Mr. Austin was re-elected by the largest majority that had been given up to that time to a representative in the legislature from Norwich. The centennial period was also a most fortunate one, politically, for Mr. Austin. After having carried the city of Norwich by the largest majority ever received there by a republican representative, the natural step was advancement to the senatorship in the old eight district. In 1876 Mr. Austin was elected senator from that district, his colleagues in the senate including Gen. S E Merwin of New Haven, Edward W Seymore of Litchfield, now of the supreme court, Washington F Willcox, now member of congress from the second district, Charles C Hubbard of Middletown, subsequently state comptroller, and ex-Lieutenant-Governor E H Hyde of Stafford. Mr. Austin has also served as a member of the republican state central committee. He has been the president of the agricultural society, member of the state  board of the Second National Bank of Norwich, and vice-president of the Dime Savings Bank in that city. He was on the staff of General Bacon, having the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He is a member of the Episcopal church. His wife was Miss Mary McComb prior to marriage. She is still living; also one son. In 1883 Mr. Austin, with his family, spent the year in Spain; 1884 was padded in Northern Africa, and 1885 in traveling generally through Europe. It goes without saying that Mr. Austin is one of the most cultivated men in the state. He is a clear and forcible speaker, when the occasion requires, and his judgment is entitled to the fullest deference.
AVERY, Erasmus D, Groton: Mr Avery is now eighty-three years of age, having been born May 12, 1808. Groton is the place of his nativity. In childhood he attended the village schools there, afterward spent some time at Plainfield Academy, and finished his education in the private school of Rev Timothy Tuttle in Ledyard. At the age of eighteen he embarked in the mercantile business in New York city, continuing there for about ten years, when, his health failing, he went to Florida and engaged in similar business at Pensacola. He regained his health, established a prosperous trade, and remained until 1861, when at the breaking out of the war of the rebellion he was compelled to leave suddenly and abandon a very considerable property, entailing great pecuniary loss. Returning to Groton, he established his residence there, and has maintained it ever since, although his business connections are mostly with New London, just across the Thames. Mr. Avery was one of the incoporators of the Mariners' Savings Bank in New London, in 1867, and has been one of its directors ever since; he is, and has been for several years, a director in the New London City National Bank; also a trustee of the New London Savings Bank. He has been connected with the settlement of upwards of twenty different estates, and is now the agent and trustee of various properties. He is trustee and treasurer of the Bill memorial library, director and treasurer of the Groton Cemetery Association, and president of the Groton Monument Association. Mr. Avery has represented his town or district six time in the legislature, three times in the senate and the same number of time in the lower branch. He was a member of the Groton war committee for raising troops throughout the entire period of the civil war. As a member of the general assemble he has assisted in the election of three United States senators,-Hon. Lafayette S Foster or Norwich., Hon. James Dixon of Hartford, and Ho. Orville H Platt of Meriden. He has been assessor and auditor of accounts i his native town for a number of years, and for a some time clerk and treasurer, as well as committee-man, in the Groton Congregational church, of which he has been eight years a member. His life has been one of great activity and usefulness, and his public services to the town and state have been of inestimable value. Mr. Avery married Miss Sarah Hinchkley, who, with three of their four children, is still living. He was formerly a Henry Clay whig, but since the organization of the republican party has been prominently identified therewith.
AVERY, John, Lebanon: Farmer, was born in Preston, Nov. 9, 1806, and received a common school education. He is a farmer by avocation and has resided in the town where he now lives since 1823. He was a member of the general assembly from Lebanon in 1864 and has held other important offices. He has been the treasurer of the Baptist church in Lebanon since 1846 and is a member of the board of deacons. For 65 years he has been a total abstainer from the use of intoxicating liquors, and has been at the head of a temperance society for a considerable period. He has been a prominent Sunday-school worker, superintendent, and has been on the committee of the church for most of the time during the past fifty years. He has also held the office of justice of the peace. His father was Colonel David Avery of Preston, who was in the revolutionary war. His mother was Hannah Avery, Daughter of John Avery of Preston. Mr. Avery is the only one now living of a family of ten children. The first wife of Mr. Avery, whose maiden name was Clarissa M Stiles, died in 1860. The second wife was Miss Almira A Corey, who is still living. He has two children living. One daughter died in 1854. In politics Mrs. Avery is a republican.
AYER, Edwin, Old Saybrook: Farmer, was born in Saybrook (now Old Saybrook) Oct. 15, 1824, and is of the seventh generation in direct descent from John Eyre (pronounced Ayer), who migrated from Norwich, in England, to Newbury, Mass., in 1637. He received his education in the common schools of his town, and at the academies of Saybrook and Essex. He has followed farming through life to some extent, and also Lumbering; is now president of the Saybrook Bank of Essex. In 1849 he went with the crowd to California by way of Cape Horn, and was absent about three years. Was married in October 1852, to Miss Abbie M Youngs of Farmington, who died in 1882, leaving three sons and two daughters; two of the sons and one daughter are now residents of the state of Washington. He married for his second wife, in 1883, Miss CArrie E Youngs, who is now living. He held the military office of major of the Sixth regiment Conn. militia when he left for California, and has subsequently held various civil offices, such as selectman, assessor, chairman of school board, and justice of the peace for some twenty-five years, and represented his town in the legislature of 1872 and 1873. He is now living at his ancestral home, of which is family have held successive title since its first occupation by the English colonist.
BABCOCK, Charles H,, Stonington: Principal of Public School No. 16, was born in Groton in 1838, and has been engaged in teaching since he was sixteen years of age. He was educated in the seminary at East Greenwich, R.I., preparing him for the profession which has occupied him through life. He was an instructor in the New Jersey schools for a number of years. Mr. Babcock has held numerous offices in the town of Stonington, being at present a member of the boards of education and health, and a justice of the peace. He has also been a member of the board of assessors. He is an attendant of the Baptist church, and is connected with the Masonic order, being a member of the lodge in Stonington. In politics he is a republican. Principal Babcock has a wife and three children. The present Mrs. Babcock, who is his second wife, was Miss M Emma Gardner, of South Kingston R.I. previous to marriage. The first wife was Miss Abbie Hinckley of Stonington.
 BACKUS, William W, Norwich, the son of James and Dorothy Church Chandler Backus of Woodstock, was the sixth of a family of eight children, and at the time of his father's death was but thirteen years of age,-having been born October 22, 1803. His mother was the daughter of Charles Chandler, a member of the Windham country bar, and one of the leading lawyers a the bar of the state. His whole life have been spent in Norwich, except part of the year 1819 spent in Marietta, Ohio, in the mercantile establishment of Dudley Woodbridge, Jr. Ill health necessitated his return to Norwich, where, since 1819, he has resided at the home of his ancestors, completing seven generations. His time has been spent mainly in farm operation, causing the old farm, with large additions, to bud and blossom, raising large crops of corn, rye, potatoes, grass, ect; keeping a large amount of stock-annually fattening one hundred head and buying and selling many more. His losses have been many and his gains all the time. An eager student, he worked days and studied nights after going to bed-sometimes into the small hours. His genealogical researches have been tireless, and he has recently published an exhaustive record of the Backus family in a book of about 400 pages, including memoirs, poems, and many other papers of general interest beyond the limits of the family involved. Mr. Backus is a gentleman of large means, and his private charities and public benefactions illustrated his wisely philanthropic disposition. His recent gift of $75,000 toward the founding of the W.W. Backus hospital in Norwich is an example of his practical sympathy for the unfortunate and distressed. He is now living quietly at his home in Norwich in fairly comfortable health, though bent under the burden of nealy ninety years
BAILEY, Asher S, East Hartford: Flour and Grain Merchant, was one of the best-known business men of East Hartford, was born in Haddam, Conn., January 6, 1851. He was educated in the common schools of Haddam, and spent his life there until he was twenty-six years of age, working at his trade of a carpenter and joiner, when he removed to East Hartford. Since residing in the last-named town, he has been justice of the peace and school committee for ten years, and is well known for his active interest in public affairs. He is an earnest republican. His religious connections are with the First Baptist church of Hartford. He has been in mercantile business for the past twelve years. Hi is without any family, having lost by death his wife and only child.
BAILEY, Benjamin A, Danielsonville: Agent Quinebaug Company, was born at Marblehead, Mass., June 19, 1828, and was educated in the public schools of Massachusetts. He is connected with the Wuinebaug Company at Danielsonville and is a director in the Windham County National Bank of Brooklyn. Mr. Bailey has been engaged in the manufacture of cotton products and in mechanical interests during a large portion of his life. Since 1874 he has been the agent of the Quinebaug Company. He has resided at Great Falls, N.H., and at Biddeford and Lewiston, Me. In the latter city he was a member of both branches of the court of common council, serving as a republican. His wife, who is still living, was Emily W Burbank of Conway, N.H. They have had six children five of whom, four sons, and on daughter, are living. Mr. Bailey is a member of the Congregational church at Danielsonville.

Back to the index