Geneva Church of Christ
The local congregation of the Church of Christ in Geneva began its worship services on August 7, 1949, renting the Geneva Community Hall and continuing until April 22, 1951. B.C. Goodpasture, for over 25 years editor of the Gospel Advocate, Nashville Tennessee, and W.H. Chiett of Childersburg, Alabama, donated the lot on which the present church building stands. The structure, begun in the fall of 1950 was completed the following spring with the dedicatory service held April 29, 1951. The trustees at that time were Carl A. Kelly, P.M. Smithson, and Roy W. Nichols. Herman Fisher was involved in the actual construction of the church. The Sunday School building was completed in 1967 under the leadership of Roy Nichols and Billy and Richard Smithson. Ralph Brewer was minister at the time.
J.P. Lowery of Geneva, aided by Jewel Estes, served as minister of the congregation from its beginning until approximately eight years later. B.F. Jernigan of Portland, Tennessee, a winter visitor in Florida, worked with the congregation from January though March of 1958. The next minister was Ralph Brewer, Jr. of Sanford who began in April of 1958 and served until August of 1987. A young minister named Brian Wardlow who served until October of 1991, followed Ralph Brewer aided by Ken Scruggs of Eustis. The minister who came after Brian Wardlow was Kevin Farmer from Deltona. Jerry Harmond from Ocoee serves presently as the churchís minister.
Visiting preachers who have occupied the pulpit from time to time are William H. Roy of Cocoa; W.M. Milton of Sanford; L.B. Chastain from Mt. Dora; Forest Sweet, H.J. Bass, and Gordon Shoaf of Orlando; and Meredith Johnson of Monroe, Louisiana. Student preachers also have served at the Geneva Church of Christ. These include Cletus Stutzman of Mt. Dora, Donald Hampton of Geneva, and Paul Eubanks and Wayne Ayers of Pine Castle.
William Dossett and Jesse Hall, both formerly with the Lone Oak Church of Christ in Paducah, Kentucky, have conducted evangelistic meetings in the Church, as has E.J. Estes of Montgomery, Alabama. C. A. Kelly of Geneva and P.M. Smithson of Oviedo served as elders for the congregation from its beginning until into the 90ís.
In 1998 the Church was used as a background church on the popular TV show "E.R." which was being filmed in Geneva and in other areas of central Florida.
Return to Geneva History page.
Home Page Genealogy The Society Museum Books, T-Shirts, etc.