The Museum of Geneva History
165 First Street -
next to Community Center
See "Geneva: History Alive", an audio tour of the Museum, on CMF Pubic Media, Issues and Voices That Matter.
The Museum of Geneva History was dedicated in 1965 by the Geneva Historical Society after receiving land donated by Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Kilbee and taking out a small loan for the construction. The Society needed a place to house the many artifacts that they had been collecting from settler families of the Geneva area since the Society was formed in 1952. The Museum contains two large rooms divided into interest areas. There is a kitchen, bedroom, mercantile, pioneer crafts area, and hundreds of interesting items from Geneva, ranging from prehistoric mound findings to musical instruments and Geneva citizen's military uniforms. Virtually all of the items in the museum were donated or loaned by past residents of the area and demonstrate early life in the Village of Geneva. There are also turpentine and orange grove tools; a cattle ranching display; a square grand piano; a Magic Lantern (preceded the slide projector); items from the early Russian, French, and English settlers; and prehistoric and Native American artifacts found in Geneva mounds/middens. Come see a very educational museum that is "much larger than it looks". On loan at the present is a beautiful 1910 violano - a player-piano, player-violin. Admission is free. Donations are accepted.
The Museum was dedicated in 1966, with Leo Rehbinder, son of an early Russian immigrant family, cutting the ribbon. Judge Don Cheney of Orlando, a noted historian, preservationist, and head of the Orange County Historical Commission was the speaker. Mr. and Mrs. W.G. Kilbee, donors of the land, also took part in the ceremony. In 1977 a second larger room was added, completing the Museum. Come visit!
The Museum also has the Village Store with Geneva history books, T-shirts, caps, prints, old-fashioned wooden toys, etc.
Home Page History Genealogy The Society Fort Lane Park Books, T-Shirts, etc.