Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church
In 1926 a few Baptist worshippers who had been for several years worshipping with the A.M.E. Christians of Geneva decided to build for themselves a house in which to worship. They named the church the Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church. This band of believers under the leadership of Rev. A. J. Muller began holding services near the present site under a bush harbor which had been moved from "the Still" (an area near the turpentine still.) Rev. McMillian gave the plot of ground for the church site. The services were held under the bush arbor on Old 100 for approximately one year.
In 1927 a frame church which stood west of the Geneva School was purchased from the Geneva Baptist Church. The foundation was laid for the church using yellow pine and the building was totally completed on April 27th, 1930. Those who served as trustees at the time were Rev. Muller, Deacon. J. M. Mobley, and Brother Lucius Lidge who made the arrangements for the day of celebration.
In 1979 the frame church unfortunately burned and the congregation had to construct another building for their services. The new church was completed in 1981 and was of concrete block construction and located near the spot where the old building had been. While the Church was being rebuilt the members were invited to hold their services at the New Bethel AME Church in Geneva.
There have been many fine pastors who have served the Church. Rev. A. J. Muller served from 1927 through 1937. Rev. I. S. Hurston of Sanford, Florida served from 1934 through 1935. Rev. H. Henderson served a part of 1936 and Rev. J. N. Anderson of Sanford served from 1936 through 1943. With the going home of Rev. Anderson, Rev. Muller served again until 1945, at which time Rev. S. W. Washington of Oviedo accepted to lead the congregation. Rev Miller served most energetically by setting up the Youth Department, re-organizing the Senior Mission Department, organizing the Choir and Training Union, establishing training sessions of Bible Study weekly and holding annual Vacation Bible School. Rev. Washington served from 1945 through 1964. In that same year Rev. H. J. Clark of Sanford cane and served until 1968. Rev. Q. D. Menefee of Sanford, Florida served a 3-month period in 1969. Rev. Enoch Rivers of Maitland, Florida came and served from 1969 through 1971. Rev. Q. D. Menefee returned and served from 1971 through 1974. Serving once more was Rev. H. J. Clark from 1974 through May 1987. Rev. Charles Jones of Sanford served from October 1987 through September 1997. Rev. Arnold Cotton became pastor in June 1998.
We give honor to those who have served as deacons -- namely, Dec. J. M. Mobley; Dec. E. G. Smith - until he was called into the ministry in 1935; Dec. Ossie Banks, Sr., - also served until his call into the ministry in 1956; Dec. Eddie L. Banks, Sr.; and Dec. Ossie Banks, Jr. Brother Evans Bacon also served as a deacon for many years and Dec. Glover Bagley served until the Lord called him from labor to reward in 1975.
Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church - completed in 1981.
Note: A complete history of the church can be found at the Oak Grove M.B. Church or in the Geneva Museum of Geneva History.
Geneva History page.
Home Page Genealogy The Society Museum Books, T-Shirts, etc.