Original Hebron Prebyterian Church, Ashland, Banks County, Georgia
Note: James McCarter was one of the early settlers of Franklin County and in 1796 he gave land on the east side of his plantation for Hebron Presbyterian Church. After the congregation outgrew the original log church, Mr. McCarter gave additional land on the west side of his plantation for the second church (1806) and a new cemetery, the one presently in use. The old Cemetery contains the graves of some of the early members of the church as well as the McCarter family. It was James McCarter's wish to be buried in the original cemetery.
The cemetery fell into a neglected state and was restored in 1979 by some of the McCarter descendants. No inscriptions were found on the many of the graves but the following known McCarter family members are buried there:
McCarter, James died June 14 1830
McCarter, Susannah died March 26 1829 (wife of James)
Glasure, Sarah McCarter died June 18 1844 (daughter of James and Susannah McCarter)
Glasure, Charles R. died Nov. 24 1834 (husband of Sarah McCarter)
Compiled 2004 by Jacqueline King