JAMES O. WOOD
JAMES O. WOOD, farmer, Phidelta, Banks CO., Ga., son of Josh and Stacy (Wheeler) Wood was born in Jackson county, Ga., in 1833. HIs paternal grandfather, John Wood, was a native South Carolinian, and a farmer, and a soldier in the last war with Great Britain. Mr. Wood's father was born in South Carolina, and was raised a farmer. He came to Georgia in 1826, and settled in Jackson county, but some years later moved to what is now Banks county. He was a member of the Baptist church. His maternal grandfather, James Wheeler, was a native of Virginia, and a farmer. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and after the war migrated to Georgia and settled in Jackson county, which at that time was very sparsely peopled.
Mr. Wood was raised on the farm, received a very limited education, and when reaching maturity engaged in farming. In 1863 he enlisted in a company commanded by Capt. Whitehead, which was a part of Maj. S. J. Winn's cavalry battalion. He was in a number of battles, and in that at Limestone was severely wounded and sent to the hospital, and after remaining there four weeks was sent home. He started in life poor, but by hard work, economy and good managemen he has made money and secured a competency. He bought his first land during the war, and paid for it with Confederate money, and now has a good farm of 450 acres, with a good home on it. His farm is under splendid cultivation, and he is considered one of the best farmers in the county. He has wisely invested a portion of his farm profits in the Harmony Grove mills, whereby he has consumers of his surplus farm product right at his door. Himself and wife own twenty-six shares of stock in the Georgia railway, and he owns twelve shares in the North Eastern and four in the Gainesville Southern. Wise farmers will encourage the establishment of maufactories near them.
Mr. Wood was married, in 1859, to Miss Louise-born Franklin county in 1827daughter of Joel and Elizabeth (Mays) Thomas. He was born in Elbert county, Ga., but when about two years old his father moved to Franklin (now Banks) county. He was a farmer and was a soldier in the war of 1812. Of the children which blessed this union, four survive: James M., W. E., physician, Dalton, Ga.; Arthur W. and Belle. He is a Master Mason, and Mrs. Wood is a devout member of the Presbyterian church.
Source: Memoirs of Georgia, Volume I., Southern Historical Asssociation, 1895
Copy and Copyright 2003 by Jacqueline King
by DONNA BRAND
background by DONNA BRAND