The Glover name is indisputably of Saxon origin, and was formerly spelled "Golofre", then "Glove" in the middle of the fourteenth century. Some of the oldest documents have been observed to be spelled "Glouver" a "u" instead of a "v" at the latter end of the word.
These families have been recorded in Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Warwickshire, about the middle of the fourteenth century . Little if anything has been discovered of the Glover family prior to William the Conqueror's time, 1066, and prior to the survey of the estates, and the recording in the Tower of London during his reign. William dispatched the Heralds out to gather the Genealogies about 1087. An account of the Heralds' visitation is given in Fuller's Worthies, written about the fifteenth century or about the twelfth year of King Henry Sixth, as returned by the Commissioners, A.D. 1433.
According to the survey made in the following Counties, the name Glover is recorded thus:
Among the worthies of the County of Berkshire, Johannies Glover, Sheriff, in the 12th year of Henry VI, A.D. 1433.
Buckinghamshire, John Glover of Kimball; Bedfordshire, Robert Glover of Monceter, Gentleman, Martyred at Coventry, September 5th, 1555; Middlesex-Kent, about 1558.
Robert Glover, Somerset Herald, son of Thomas and Mildred, was born in Ashford, Kent, according to the epitaph on his monument. He died, not forty-six years of age, Anno 1588, and was buried without Cripplegate, London, St. Giles, on the south wall of the Choir.
The names John, William, Robert, Thomas, Richard and Henry are among the earliest Christian names of Glover, that have been noticed by writers. These names have been perpetuated, and have descended like their estate, through many generations, both in the Old and New England.
In 1423 there was a William Glover who is noticed thus: "Friefment of a Budge in the town of Stratford upon Avon, in the second of King Henry VI, being a conveyance of land to William Glover and others."
In 1469, William Glover, in Wiltshire, collected fifty shillings for the charities of that Church, during the week on which falls the Nativity of St. John the Baptist.
Of John Glover we have dates as follows from English records: 1446 - Mr. John Glover, incumbent at the Rectory of Sutton, in the County of Surrey as early as 1454, resigned 1466.
Records of 1416 to 1628: John Glover, Vicar of Dockin in Wiltshire in 1571. After the death of John Glover, Stephen Richmond succeeded to the Vicarage. He was Master of Arts, sometime one of the Fellows of Magdalen College, and became Vicar immediately after the death of John Glover, who died 1571.
1593, John Glover - Page 236, "Charities from County of Kent": Mr. John Glover of this parish gave by will for over, five shillings per annum for the poor, to be paid out of the lands to the Surveyors for the time being, towards mending the highways of the parish, which ands are now in the possession of Mathew Parker.
1685 - John Glover, at St. John's Church, Margate, County of Kent. This church was one of the Chapels belonging to the Church Ministry, in the Island of Thanet, and very probably began building as early as the year 1050. It is situated on the open sea at Margate in Kent.
A memorial to John Glover, a Gentleman, who died in London, 1685, at the age of 56 years, born in 1629. He had a wife Susanna whom he left a nephew. According to the following inscription underneath obit. Mrs. Susanna Glover, his wife, obit in 1713 at age 75; born therefore in 1638.
I the second volume of Stow's Survey of London, noting index, the following is found: John Glover, Church Warden in 1707, buried in St. James, Clerkinwell; and Ann Glover his wife, buried also 1689.
1551-2: John Glover, a patron, resigned Feb. 3, 1551 the Vicarage which is in the Deanery of Stook, County of Surrey. (Vol. 1)
Robert Glover the Martyr, who suffered martyrdom on Sept. 5th, 1555, noticed by Fuller in his "Worthies," had brothers John, William and Thomas and possessed in Monceter, Baxterly and other places in the County of Warwickshire.
John and Robert were married. The name of John's wife was Agnes; the name of Robert's wife was Mary. William was unmarried.
Thomas left Warwickshire and settled in Ashford, County of Kent, according to the testimony of some, and undoubtedly it is correct. His Coat-of-Arms refers him back to Warwickshire. Robert, the Somerset Herald, was probably nephew to the Martyr. He had several children, the names of two only had been given: Hugh, whom he named, it is said, after Hugh Lattimer, who was often a guest at the house of his brother, John Glover. And Edward, who succeeded him during Elizabeth's reign, to Baxterley House or estate.
We find the following in Fox's Acts and Monuments - Pages 814, 817, 819.
The persecution of Robert and his brothers John and William, in September 1555. To this month belongs the memorable Martyrdom of the Glover Gentlemen, in the Diocese of Litchfield and Coventry, in Warwickshire, England.
This Robert Glover had issue, Hugh Glover, who inherited those lands as cousin and heir to his uncle John Glover, in whose time they continued until "John Glover" descendant of said Hugh Glover, by deed dated July 22, 1704, sold the same to Thomas Strong, Esq. He by Sarah his wife, one of the daughters of Louis Agud Gregory of ____ Hall in the County, had one son living in 1788, also one daughter named Lucy.
Sir Thomas Glover purchased Franklin Estate, and he, with Mr. Wakeman took a fresh grant from the Crown in the reign of King James of England, and afterwards by deed, reserving to himself certain Memorial Rights over residue of the Manor.
In England this is an occupational name acquired from the trade of making or selling glovers and is from the old English word Glof, meaning "glove."
Gilbert le (the) Glouere lived in Norfolk in 1273 and William le Glovers lived in Wurrey in 1293. Elias Glouer, et Margota uxor (and Margota, wife), Thomas le Glover, et Sibilla uxor, and Hugo Glouer are on the 1379 Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls. The letter U was often used instead of V in early writing.
In Scotland, Henry Cirothcarios (Latin for glove maker), burgess of Perth, swore fealty to King Edward I at Perth in 1291 and again in 1296. Patrick Glufar and Michail Glofar were burgesses of Glasgow in 1436 and 1440. David Gluur and John Gluvar were burgesses of Perth in 1498 and 1494. Nicholas Gloffar was a merchant burgess of Linlithgow in 1610. James Glover lived in Poicrofh in 1668.
When found in Ireland, Glover is either an English or Scottish importation.
Burke's General Armory describes the 11 different Glover arms.
In Virginia, Henry Glover and Joyn Farvill, alias Glover, were living on James Island in 1623. Richard Glover held a land grant in Gloucester County prior to 1683. William Glover obtained a 350-acre grant in Henrico County in 1691 for bringing six new settlers to the colony.
In Massachusetts, John Glover was in Boston after 1631. Charles, a shipwright, was in Gloucester after 1641 and Stephen was married there in 1658. Henry was in New Haven, Connecticut, after 1643.
Six Glovers were officers in the America Revolutionary Army.
The 1790 United States Census lists families of Glovers in Maine, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, North and South Carolina, Pennsylvania and Virginia.