Abstracts of Taylor County Georgia 

Donated by Guelda Hay and transcribed by Margie Daniels

Home ] Abstracts Taylor in the Confederacy ] Abstracts Pg. 3 ]


Abstracts From Minutes Of The Inferior Court Of Taylor County Georgia

 

From Feb. 19, 1852 to March 7, 1868 when the Inferior Court must have been discontinued-probably throughout the state.  Their work seems to have been taken over in part by the Ordinary.

I omitted cases where people were sued for payment of debts ect., which was a part of the work done by the Inferior Court.  They also tried lunacy cases, habeous Corpus cases, people accused of theft.

Much of the court work concerned roads and bridge building.  At that time the men were supposed to work the roads a certain number of days each year.  The work was done by simple tools by hand and with plows.  The County had the main road from the Northeast running across the northern part of the county towards area of Columbus and West.  At first it was an Indian path and then from Clinton in Jones Co., it was called The Horse Path, then in early 1800's was made a Federal Road, then with a telegraph wire from Richmond to New Orleans, it was called the Wire Road.

Another road south of the county ran from Traveler's Rest near present city of Oglethorpe, towards Buena Vista and to Fort Mitchel below Columbus.  It was another important early road much in use but the interior of the county of Taylor was thinly settled in 1852 so there was much work to be done on roads and bridges and and new roads laid out.  To do this there was a need for the road commissioners and patrol commissioners which was a yearly job of the Court to appoint them.  Part of the time the patrol work was combined  commissioners work.  Evidently the bridges were not built as well as they are now for there was a continuous program of building and repairing them as well as the jails.

This is abstracted to show who did these things, when they did it and how much these things cost. Also the varied services and problems of early days.  Smallpox was evidently a problem and an old-timer told me that the area south of Butler Baptist Cemetery had many unmarked graves called the Small pox Cemetery. (Mr. L. T. Peed)

 

Inferior Court Minutes of Taylor County Georgia

Feb. 18, 1852

Justices Jeremiah Wilcharm, Hiram Drain (Drane), T (Thomas) J. Riley, John Sturdivant and Isaac Mulkey presiding.

The court decided the county site should be called Butler in honor of the notorious Butler Family (of and be located at the fifty mile station on the Muscogee Railroad [known as Wolf Pen]).

W. A. Skellie was elected to be County Treasurer.

S. (Serrence) H. (Haynes) Dwight was appointed to take the census of the county.  March 25, 1852 was a date set for sale of Butler lots and notice of sale to be given in the Columbus Inquirer, (Columbus, Ga.); Georgia Telegraph (Macon Ga.); Southwest Georgian (Oglethorpe), and Southern Democrat.

Militia Districts determined:"

Prattsburgh # 737 (now Daviston), Halls District # 743 (now Carsonville), Reynolds District #741, butler District #757, Cedar Creek District #1071, White Water District #853 (now Howard & Rustin), Blackman's Mill for Halls (Carsonville, and Daviston for Daviston District on 2nd Saturday in March.  The Panhandle in Crawford above Patsalige added later to Taylor).

March 1 1852  

The court commissioned John Thompson, Sheriff; J. M. McCants, Clerk of the Superior Court; James Turner Harmon, Clerk of the Inferior Court.  James B. Hamilton , Judge of Probate (Ordinary), Charles A. Loyd, Tax Collector and Jonathan Stewart, Surveyor.

March 1, 1852 

The court appointed the following reviewers of roads: 

J. T. Harmon, Henry Joiner and James B. Hamilton to lay out a road from the home of J. T. Harmon by way of Lewis Bridge on White Water to Butler, Jonathan Stewart, George Hays and Lewis Hill to mark our a road from J. Stewart's Mills on Cedar Creek (crossing White Water at or near the mouth of Rambullet. (Lebanon) to Butler and report to the court.

Halls, Daviston District at Daviston, Reynolds District at Reynolds.

John Thompson was commissioned sheriff, J. M. McCants, Clerk of the Superior Court, James T. Harmon, Clerk of the Inferior Court, James B. Hamilton, Judge of the Probate Court, Charles Loyd, Tax Collector and J. Stewart, County Surveyor.

Jonathan Stewart, George Hays and Lewis Hill appointed to review and mark out a road form J. Stewart's Mill on Cedar Creek (crossing White Water at or near the mouth of Rambullet) to Butler.

March 15, 1852

Justices Jeremiah Wilchar, Hiram Drane, T. J. Riley, John Sturdivant and Isaac Mulkey.

William Hurst, R. C. Baily and John Hericks appointed reviewers of a road leading from Butler to intersect the old Federal Road near the west line of the original 12th district.

J. Parker, Jackson Colbert and H. H. Magham appointed reviewers of a road from Butler to Carsonville by way of McCants Mill.

Jeremiah McCants, C. Y. Perry and Thomas Wilson appointed reviewers of a road from McCants Mill to Prattsburg.

Henry Millirons given the contract of clearing and heaping of the under growth of the streets of Butler $14.00.

March 8 1852
Justices Drane, Riley Sturdivant and Mulkey.
A. M. Rhodes commissioned as receiver of tax returns.

The court took deeds from John L. Parker and Andrew McCants, John T. Gray and John Sturdivant.

John L. Parker sold to James H. Tucker for $34.80, 28 acres of land in the 14th district of Talbot County in the SE corner of Lot 32.   In lot 33 south of the railroad ( a 3/4 interest) to Andrew McCants, John T. Gray and John Sturdivant for $94.00, who in turn sold it to the Justices of the court and one from John L. Parker for land in lots 32 and 33 in the 14th district of Talbot County and south of the railroad known as the Butler Land that had been formerly owned by John L. Parker and James H. Tucker.  (About 56 acres) to locate the court house on.

On 11/11/1851 John L. Parker had sold to James H. Tucker 28 acres of land in the 14th land district of the Talbot County in lot 32 for $34.80 and 6 days later that and more 18 more acres in lot 33 for $95.00 to Andrew McCants, James H. Tuckier sold 3/4 of those 46 acres John T. Gray, and John Sturdivant. 

John T. Gray, and John Sturdivant later sold it to the justices of the inferior court (those 46 south of the railroad known as the Butler Land) for $100.00 on March 8 1852.   John L. Parker sold to the justices of the inferior court for $5.00, 10 more acres of land in lot 32 adjoining the above.


March 8 1852 (out of order in book)

Absolem M. Rhodes appointed tax receiver.  The court then took a deed from Andrew McCants, John T. Gray, John Sturdivant and James Covington paying them $100.00 for land conveyed to the above by James H. Tucker and known as the Butler Land on the south side of the rail road. (deed signed later March 26 1852 and recorded in deed book A, page 44).  Earlier Nov. 11, 1851, John L. Parker had sold to the above mentioned James H. Tucker, 28 acres in the southeast corner of lot 32 in the 14th land district where the courthouse was located for $34.80, which was sold to the justices, seemingly for $100.00  "the said parcel of land to locate the court house on, and also a deed.

 

March 8, 1852 (out of order in book)

Absolem Rhodes appointed tax receiver.

The Justices with help of Sheriff and Clerk of Superior Court drew 36 grand jurors and 48 petit jurorers.  The court then proceeded to take a deed from John Sturdivant, John T. Gray, Andrew McCants and James Covington to a certain tract of parcel of land to locate a courthouse on and also a deed for a certain parcel of land for the same purposes as the above from John L. Parker.  (see below)

(The first deed dated March 26 1852.  Sold to the Justices of the Inferior Court Jeremiah, Wilchar, Isaac Mulkey, Hiram Drain and Thomas J. Riley for the sum of $100.00 all the land conveyed to them by James H. Tucker and known as the Butler land on the south side of the railroad.  Recorded in Deed Book "A", page 44.  In an earlier deed dated 11-11-1851 and recorded in  Book "A" of deeds, page 27, John L. Parker had sold to the above James H. Tucker for $34.80, 28 acres of land in the southeast corner of lot 32 in the 14th district of Talbot County where the court house is now located.)

(Second deed recorded in deed book "A", page 29 and dated March 3, 1852, shows John L. Parker selling to the Justices an additional 10 acres of land for $5 in lot 32 in the 14th district.)

Lot 32 had originally been granted to Jacob Meadows, soldier of Oglethorpe County on Oct. 11, 1830.   Lot 33 adjoining lot 32 on east side was granted to E. M. Landrum and taken up by Cornelius Bradley on Sept. 4, 1848.  On Nov. 14, 1851 Conrelius Bradley sold 18 acres of lot 33 to James H. Tucker for $60.  James H. Tucker sold to the Justices 46 acres in the SW corner of lot 33 in 14th district for $95.  

Lot 33 probably included the place where the train depot is now, the trains from Macon via Ft. Valley were turned around on a large turn table located in the area where the road to Fickling Mill begins in Butler near the home of the late Dr. Beason.  In the same locality there was a large well and water tank for the trains.  Also there was a wolf pit dug deep enough so that a wolf could not get out and covered with brush that would give way underneath the wolf when he walked on it.

Remember that this was called Wolf-Pen and there is a legend that Butler was a trading post where skins of animals were traded for supplies.  In the late 1800's an old newspaper stated that wolves were still in the area.

In the first deed book, page 290, Cornelius Bradley  sold to Robert Scandrett land south of the Muskogee railroad called Stage Stable lot for $100, likely to have been in lot 33 .  ON Nov. 11 of the same year, Robert Scandrett sold the lot to Britton Pope for $400.

It was in this area also that Charlton Y. Perry and wife, Harriet, owned a hotel.  Mr. Perry was one of the first Commissioners of Butler when it was chartered in 1854.  He died and in the returns from his estate were records showing hams and other supplies bought for the hotel.

March 15 1852 

William Hurst, R. C. Bally and John Herricks appointed reviewers of a road from Butler to intersect the old Federal road neat the west line of the 12th district (towards Mauk).  J. Parker, Jackson Colbert and H. H. Mangham to review on a road leading from Butler by way of McCants, Charlton Y. Perry and Thomas Wilson appointed reviewers of a road from McCants Mills to Prattsburgh.  Also ordered that Henry Millirons have the contract clearing and heaping the undergrowth of the streets of Butler $14.

April 19, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.  The Inferior Court in Chambers appointed James Thompson appraiser for the right of way for the Southwestern Railroad, Columbus Branch, on the part of the County.

Also ordered that a court house of bricks be built in Butler 44 feet by 60 feet, 3 feet from 1st floor to ground.  Lower walls 2 bricks thick, upper 1 1/2 bricks thick, the lower story 12 ft. high in the clear and upper story 14 feet high to be built on the plan of the court house in Buena Vista (Marion County, Ga.).  4 chimneys and 8 fireplaces.  Inside walls plastered with 2 good coats, well white washed to receive sealed bids until the first Tue. in June.  The said house to be completed in 18 months.  The clerk to advertise in the Southern Democrat and the Columbus Times.  It was also ordered that the court build a jail house on the same terms to be finished by Jan 1, 1853.  The jail house to be built 22 feet by 18 feet two stories high with each story to be eight feet in the clear with the lower story to be double walled with 4 inches of space between the walls filled in upwards with 4 inch scantling. The lower floor 12 inches thick and the space between floors to be 10 inches thick.  On the outside door upstairs 3x6 with 2 shutters, the outside one to be iron and the inside one 4 inches thick lined with sheet iron.  Also trap door 3 feet square with two shutters, all with sufficient hinges and locks.  The lower room to have four windows two feet by sixteen inches with iron bars three inches apart.  The upper story to have four windows tow feet square with iron bars four inches apart.  The outside to be weather boarded and painted red and completed by Jan. 1, 1853.

April 26, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

The county treasurer ordered to pay Jonathan Stewart $41. for surveying the streets of Butler.  Perry C. Carr, Edmund Stewart and James T. Harmon appointed road commissioners for Cedar Creek District for 1852.

May 10, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

County treasurer ordered to pay J. T. Harmon $5 for food for blind son of Stephen Dickerson.  Ordered that Judge Isaac Mulkey be paid $5 for jury boxes.

June 1, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that P. O. J. may be paid $12 for advertising, A. J. Colbert $20 for the use of Solomon Millirons, $10 to T. J. Riley for use of Mrs. Nicks, a blind woman, $10 to John M. Hobbs for rent of a house for a court room for May Superior Court, $173.75 to B. F. Griffin for blank books for the county, W. A. Skillie $2. for freight on books and the Tax Collector was ordered to collect 50% on the State tax for county purposes.

The court then let out the building of the court house to Patrick Adams for $5,400 and the building of the jail house to John M. Hobbs for $945.00.

J. H. Wallace, E. C. Butts, and James Williamson, B. L. Ross and J. Thomas Ross for Hall's District (now Carsonville), Henry Long, Joseph /Brannon and Alfred Coleman for Reynolds District, Richard Holt, Setpimus Brewer and Sterling Bartlett for Butler and Jackson Fountain, James Willis and William Hurst for Howard (White Water district).

July 3, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

The court ordered that Stephen Johnson be appointed as appraiser of the right of way of the Southwestern Railroad, Muscogee branch, with James Thompson previously appointed.  Ordered that Jacob Bickley, George G. Dias and C. F. Fickling be appointed reviewers of a road form C. F. Ficklings Mill on Patsalige to Butler.

July 13, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Thomas G. Blackman was commissioned a justice of the peace for the 853rd District, GM (Howard) and he with Martin Kinsey and Perry Watson were appointed reviewers of a road beginning near the 39 mile station running by Blackmans Mill on Big Whitewater to Kinsey's Mill on Little Whitewater thence to the line between Taylor and Marion on lot 6 in the 12th district.

Aug. 9, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered by the court that John M. Thompson, Major Brooks and James Revel be reviewers of a road form Butler to Flint River at Kegler's old Ferry on fraction lot 239 in First District.   Received report of George McDowell, Allen Whittington and James Revel of a road from Patsalega meeting the new road in Crawford (Crawford County extended west of the Flint river to Patsalaga Creek in what is now Taylor County until around 1854 when a group of people petitioned the legislature to be added to Taylor County) on lot #268 as it is reviewed and marked out by way of Reynolds to Col. George w. Towns Mills (G. W. Towns was Gov. of Ga.)

Ezekiel Adams appointed a road commissioner for Reynolds in place of Dr. A. Coleman resigned.

Ordered that the road from Tazewell to Butler be turned, commencing at Geo. Layfields by way of Willis Jinks and crossing Big Whitewater at Jackson Fountains Bridge on lot 173 in the 12th district.

Ordered that the road leading from Lowe's bridge to Butler be turned by way of John Garnder's and Hardy Williamson's.

Ordered that the court pay John M. Hobbs $30 for building a bridge across Whitewater at the mouth of Rambullet (where Lebanon is now)

Sept 7, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Daniel Whatley, George Hays and John Williamson appointed reviewers of a road from Hills bridge on Whitewater to butler and see if the road can be put on a better ground and nearer than the present route.

Enoch Garret, Benjamin Williamson and Willis Whatley appointed reviewers of a road from George Layfields to Butler.

Oct. 23, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that the Court pay C. M. Graves for 3 seals and postage of $32.(Seals for Inferior court, Ordinary and Clerk of Superior Court)

John Sturdivant appointed road commissioner in the place of Sterling Bartlett, resigned.

John H. Wallace, Gipson Dean and Thomas Wilson appointed reviewers of a road from Prattsburg to Butler.

Dec. 3, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

A. J. Colbert, G. F. McCrary and Britton Pope appointed commissioners for the next five years to let out the bridge on Big Patsaliga Creek at John McCrary's.

Dec. 4, 1852

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that S. Jackson, J. H. Winchell and Wm. H. Lowe be appointed commissioners to let out the building of a bridge across Whitewater where Lowe's bridge was and keep it in order for 5 years and J. T. Harmon ordered to put Hiss's bridge in good order.

Feb. 1, 1853

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that William B. Fulfort be paid $75. for building the bridge across Whitewater where Lowe's Bridge formerly was an Jesse Cason be paid $375 for building a bridge across Patsaliga near John McCrary.

Ordered that the county pay in case of the smallpox in Butler and the county food and nurse in case of the smallpox in Butler, McCants and company be paid $10.75 for goods furnished, Wright and Hamilton be paid $7.68 for goods furnished, Thomas D. Brand be paid $10.80 for money expended, R. C. Jones be paid $34 for nursing the Morrell's family 17 days.

Ordered that William Chew be paid $4 for making a coffin William Morrell and John M. Thompson, Sheriff, be paid $14.65 for blankets and jail fees.

Ordered that Perry C. Carr and Edmund Stewart, Justices be paid the usual fee for holding an inquest on the body of Henry Battle, murdered.

Feb.1853

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that John Herricks be paid $15. for the use of Josiah Layfield.

April 5, 1853

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that Seaborn J. Smith, Esq., William Mathews and D. A. J. Willis be appointed road commissioners for Daviston District for 1853, and William A. Skellie, Lawrence Walker and Jesse Stallings for Halls District, John Sturdivant, Sr., William Stuckey, and Andrew McCants for Butler District, John B. England, James M. Willis and Willis Jinks be appointed for Whitewater district (Howard), William Royal, Esp., John S. Murray and John M. Hobbs appointed for Cedar Creek District, David Brand, James Revel and John H. Davidson for Reynolds

Ordered that the house appropriated for a hospital for smallpox be burned and Gideon Bland be paid $40 for it. (Bland was a 27 year old carpenter on the 1850 census of Talbot)

May 3, 1853

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that Dr. John Walker be paid $183.05 for attending to cases of smallpox and that all the materials of a house moved away from Butler by Isaac Stringfield be burned by the sheriff.

May17, 1853

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that Haynes Dwight, Joseph Brannon, George Dias be appointed land processioners for Reynolds District.

June 15, 1853

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that the tax collector collect 50% on the state tax for county purposes and 12 1/2 % as a paupers fund.

August Term, 1853

Ordered that Price Stringfield be paid $25 fro services as a nurse in the smallpox in the county, John F. Herricks be paid $30 for support of Josiah Layfield (would have been 113 years old at this time by 1850 census of Marion County, Ga.), Jackson Fountain be paid $16.25 for inquest held on body of Joseph Cox, D. L. Griffin be paid $2.75 for work on jail, Hamilton and Wright be paid $4.48 for goods furnished for burial of Joel Brit, Ellison and Wilson be paid $10.12 for furniture furnished at the hospital for the smallpox, Jacob Hortman to be paid $20 for taking care of Joel Britt, T. J. Riley to be paid $40. for use of Solomon Millirons and Mary Butler, that H. H. Long, John H. Garner and Wm. B. Brooks be reviewers of the district line between the first and thirteenth districts in Macon and Taylor counties leaving the Talbotton road near the house of William Wells and following said district (line) to Reynolds.

Nov. 21, 1853

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and Drane.

Ordered that William B. Fulfort be paid $60 for building and keeping in repair of Hills  bridge across Whitewater for the next 5 years, that Wilborn Jinks, James Layfield and John Herricks be appointed reviewers to lay out a road form James M. Millers to Butler, that John B. England, James M. Willis and Isaac B. Griggs be appointed Commissioners from Talbot County to have the bridge across Patsaliga at Huffs repaired.

January 3 1854

Justices Riley, Mulkey, Sturdivant and William Lowe presiding.

Ordered that William Stuckey, James S. Bartlett and George Hays be appointed commissioners to let out the bridge across Whitewater at Stuckey's and that William Drane, M. D. be paid $30 for his services in the smallpox.  E. B. Waters, jailor be paid $40.50 for keeping and dieting 3 prisoners, John Clark, William Lewis and Abraham Hortman.

Feb. Court 1854

Charlton Y. Perry was appointed guardian of Vina Robinson.  William Brooks family in the smallpox hospital, John Herricks be paid $25 for Josiah Layfield, John Davis be paid $12 for the use of Mary Ann Adams, $12 to Blue Hancock for found child and $12.50 each for blind son of Stephen Dickerson, Mary Butler and Solomon Millirons.

Ordered that Charles E. Moore, William Wilson and Cross R. Davis be appointed road commissioners for 743rd district (Carsonville) for 1854.

W. W. Bowden, Bennett Stewart and Daniel Royal be appointed commissioners for Cedar Creek for the present year of 1854.  John H. Wallace, Julius Lockhart and William H. Greer commissioners for Prattsburgh (Davidson).

James M. Willis, J. P. Wilborn Jinks and Thomas G. Blackman appointed commissioners for Whitewater (Howard) district.

Thomas D. Brand, James S. Bartlett, John C. M. McCants appointed for 757th (Butler district).

H. H. Long, Sampson K. Adams and James M. James for Reynolds district.  Wilborn Jinks and John F. Herriicks reported their review of a road form Howard down the south side of the railroad to J. M. Willis then across to the north side and down to intersect the Daviston road then directly to Butler.

Feb.14 1854

The terms of county officers seemed to have been two years from the beginning of the formation of the county in 1852 through 1853 and possibly elections had been held in Jan 1854 as certain officers take oaths of office.

Jas. T. Harmon and John A. W. McCants take oaths as deputy clerks of Inferior Court and James T. Harmon as deputy clerk of Superior Court.

John M. Thompson appointed deputy sheriff by James Layfield (was 32 years old on 1850 Talbot census) sheriff.

April 3 1854

Ordered that an election for two justices and bailiffs for 768 G. M. (panhandle district) be held at James Griffiths on 3rd Sat. in April.  

Ordered that W. B. Fulfort be paid $72 for building a bridge across Whitewater at Stuckey's.

Ordered that Seborn Mulkey, William A. Robinson, James McNight (McKnight) and Charles Mulkey be each paid $8 for their services as guards in the case of Hiram Carter in having the smallpox. (Hiram 46 yrs old on 1850 Talbot Census)

May 16 1854

James Wilsher took oath as deputy sheriff and was sworn in.

July Term 1854

Ordered that Davis (or David) Castlebury (age 24 in 1850 Marion Co. census) be paid $23.78 for groceries furnished for smallpox purposes.  John Hericks be paid $25 for Josiah Layfield and $1.50 for services rendered in cases of smallpox.  William Wilson and John Joiners partners in trade mentioned.

Ordered that John A. Hamilton be paid $1 for services as bailiff and David Lawson be paid $3.50 for services as constable in arresting, jailing and guarding of William Lewis, Prisoner.

Ordered that William W. Wilson be paid $2 for service in relation to the smallpox.

August Term 1854

Ordered that Robert Scandrett be paid $4.25 for provisions the Carter family in smallpox.

Ordered that Ezekiel Royal be paid $16 for board of 4 hands for smallpox, Davis Castlebury be paid $5.50 for merchandise in the cares of smallpox and that Price Stringfield be paid $97 for service as attendant and nurse in Carter family during the smallpox.

Ordered that T. J. Riley be paid $100.00 for building a bridge across Patsaliga.

Ordered that Jessee Adams, Charles Loid and James R. Hudson be appointed reviewers of a road from Butler to Ficklings Mill on Patsaliga. 

Ordered that the road from Butler to Lanier be made a public road to the Macon County line.

Ordered that the road from Hills bridge to Butler be turned to where the road was originally laid out by way of Barnes and the Rev. John Howell's on the through the Red Level.

August 10 1854

Ordered that C. B. Dickson, William H. Griffith and Benjamin Beeland be appointed road commissioners for Panhandle for the present year. 

Ordered that William Mulkey, John A. Hamilton, John H. Grace, Samuel Hilburn, John F. Lockhart, Newton Mulkey.  Fielding Rucker and James Layfield be paid $1.50 each for guarding the jail the night of 9th inst at Butler.

October 10 1854

Ordered that I. Newton Mulkey be paid $4 for guarding the jail on the nights of Oct. 10-13.

November 1 1854

Ordered that John Sturdivant, J. P., be paid for holding inquest on body of Alexander Sudeth, dec'd.

November 24 1854

John Mitchell appointed commissioner to assess damage to A. G. Perryman against the Southwestern railroad.

January Term 1855

Ordered that Thomas T. shine, Gid Newsom, Jesse Tennison, Joshua Tennison and Charles Stewart be added to the Reynolds district.

Ordered that Hardy P. Wilks be paid $2 for rough lumber. James Layfield, sheriff be paid $47 for jail fees in the case of James L. Hesters.  William A. Skellie late treasurer of Co. Paid to John H. Wallace present treasurer county funds.

Ordered that John S. Brooks be paid $24 for the use of Sarah Ricks and Sarah Sutton and $12 for Mary Butler.  $12 to be paid to John M. Hericks for use of Josiah Layfield, $12 to Jessee Adams for use of Mary Adams, $6 to C. Pullen for 2 mo. and 18 days in 1854 taking care of Mary Adams.  James T. Harmon paid $50 for extra services as clerk of Inferior Court.

Ordered that W. . And J. A. Hamilton be paid $4 for paper furnished the court in 1854.

Ordered that James Bateman be paid $4 for guarding the jail four nights., James M. Wright $17 for seventeen nights and Thomas Cameron one dollar for one night.  Isaac Mulkey and Co. be paid $5.45 for goods furnished the court and William Roberts $2 for work on the jail in Sept., 1854.

Jan 8 1855

Ordered that G. W. Gilbert, Samuel Dukes and Francis R. Perry be appointed reviewers of a road to continue the road from Gray's Ferry to Reynolds and mark out the same.  That John S. Murray, Archibald Hill and Allen Johnston be appointed reviewers of a road from Benjamin Lancaster's Collin Bridge on Cedar Creek and thence to the County line.

Ordered that the road from Butler to Lanier be altered and turned around lot of land of Caleb Lindsey.  That the road from Butler to Ficklin's Mill by way of John Windham's as last laid out be established.

Ordered that Nathan M. Rogers (47on 1850 Marion County Census, H. H. Long and Bryant Ingram be appointed road commissioners for Reynolds for 1855, William H. Griffith (50 in 1860 Taylor Co. census), Benjamin Beeland and C. B. Dickson for Panhandle, E. C. Butts, William Mathews, SR., and D. P. Bates for Daviston, R. be. Rucker, William Davis and A. J. Colbert for Halls District (now Carsonville, James M. Willis, Jackson Fountain and G. W. Wade for Whitewater (now Howard), E. W. Bowden, Archibald Hill and Bennett Stewart for Cedar Creek, John Sturdivant, Willis Whatley and Jerry McCants for Butler.

Ordered that Jon A. Hamilton be paid $2 fro 2 days service as bailiff to this court.

March Term 1855

Joab Willis got bid to build bridge across Patsaliga at Fickling's at $248.00 and Blackman got bid to build a bridge at Blackman's at $180.00 (over Whitewater).

April 2 1855

Ordered that William W. Wiggins, Deputy Sheriff be paid $23 for carrying James L. Hesters (prisoner) to Bibb County jail.

May 11 1855

Ordered that Joab Willis and S. T. Rigdon be paid $258 for building a bridge across Patsaliga at Fickling's

Ordered that E. C. Butts, William Mathews and D. A. J. Willis be appointed commissioners of patrol for present year for Daviston District, Bartley McCrary, Jessee Stallings, And Lawrence Walker for Halls (now Carsonville), C. B. Dickson, James Griffith and Benjamin Beeland for Panhandle, Daniel Royal, Y. S. Joiner and William Bryant for Cedar Creek, James Willis, John England and Thomas Blackman or Whitewater (Howard) and H. H. Long, Joshua Tennison and Dr. Alfred Coleman for Reynolds.

June 21 1855

James T. Harmon appointed clerk of Inferior Court in place of Seaborn Mulkey, resigned.  

Mary Ann Adams epileptic carried to asylum by Jesse Adams after trial.  He paid $25 to carry her, clerk paid $10.

July Term 1855

Ordered by the county that John Sturdivant be paid $17.50 for holding inquest on body of William  Lewis, and William Roberts paid $4  fro work on the jail doors.

County paid subsistence money for the following, Nancy and Elizabeth Bachelor, Josiah Layfield, Sarah Rix, Stephen Dickerson's blind son and Mary Butler.  Thomas G. Blackman paid $180 for building a bridge across Whitewater at Blackman's Mill.  
Cornelius Clark declared lunatic.

Nov 6 1855

Ordered that James Hollis be paid $11.16 for lumber to cover Fountain's Bridge across Whitewater. Paid for advertisement for election to be held the first Monday in January 1856 to elect a judge of Inferior Court to fill vacancy caused by the death of William H. Lowe.

January Term 1856

John A. W. McCants and George W. McCants file bankruptcy proceedings. Many firms and lawyers named.

Jan. 14 1856

John H. Wallace appointed county treasurer for 1856-7

April 1 1856

Ordered that the following be appointed road commissioners for 1856.  
Henry H. Long, Bryant Ingram, Nathan Rogers and G. G. Potter for Reynolds, 
C. B. Dickson, C. F. Fickling and Samuel Peter Corbin for Panhandle, 
Jessee Stallings, T. Northern and A. J. Colbert for Carsonville  (first time called Carsonville), 
David Bates, William H. Grier and E. C. Butts for Daviston,
John B. England, Joseph Hollis and James M. ?Willis for Whitewater (Howard),
William A. H. Royal, John S. Murray and Joshua J. Harris for Cedar Creek,
Thomas D. Brand, Absolem Rhodes and James so. Bartlett for Butler

April 8 1856

Ordered that William Chew be paid $18 for tables and benches furnished courthouse and William Roberts $10 for loan of a negro man.

Ordered that Jesse Tennison, Joshua Tennison, Allen Whittington and Henry H. Long see if advisable to change road running through land of Mrs. Rhoda Morris and J. H. Wallace, Dr. Merkison and Jeremiah C. McCants appointed to review and report on public utility of a road from McCants Mill to intersect the road leading from Carsonville to Daviston at Samuel B. Baldwin's plantation.

Ordered that funds be paid for use of Josiah Layfield, Sarah Rix, Nancy and Elizabeth Bachelor, blind son of Stephen Dickerson and Mary Butler.

May 12 1856

Ordered that John S. Murray , Bennett Stewart and A. L. N. Wilson be appointed patrol commissioners for Cedar Creek District for next 12 months and C. B. Dixon, Thomas J. Drawhon and Benjamin Beeland for Panhandle district.

Ordered that the Petit Jurors be paid each his proportionate share of the money received at the last term of the Superior Court for verdicts and confessions and no more.

Ordered that Gabriel  Binswanger (age 30 born Germany in 1850 census of Talbot and Macon County, occupation peddler) be paid $12 for blankets for jail.

William W. Wiggins mentioned as Sheriff.  Isaac Mulkey, Clerk Inferior Court.  William P. Whittington, Constable in 1854 from Reynolds district. H. H. Long, Justice of Peace Butler Boundaries.

W. W. Wiggins, sheriff states, "I have proceeded to lay off the prison boundaries in said county around the jail in the town of Butler, commencing at the southwest corner of said town the boundary then known by a pine tree near the Baptist Church, blazed, thence north 500 yards, to the house occupied by the negroes of Mrs. Montfort, thence east 1000 yards near house of Benjamin Gray, thence south on the town Incorporation 500 yards, thence back to the beginning line on the southwest corner.  This has been done to the best of my ability unaided by a surveyor as there being no county surveyor in said county and as I believe being in conformity to law and said  bounds containing about 100 acres."

May 29 1856

James Griffith qualified as a Justice of the Inferior Court.

Ordered that Jackson Perkins be paid $9 for attending as a witness on the part of the State vs. George L. Taylor and Jonathan McCrary be paid 15.50  for taking off and putting irons on prisoner and for work on jail.

June 19 1856

Nancy Hobbs petitions  that she be given custody of her minor children, Paschal B. and John Hobbs, presently in custody of her husband, their father, John Hobbs.  Her petition was granted.

Ordered that James Wilchar, jailor, be paid $90.10 for keeping in Jail a negro man  named Edmund (property of James Montgomery, deceased) for 106 days at 84 3/4 Cents per day.  Ordered that W. W. Wiggins sheriff, be paid $20 for safekeeping, bringing before the court for commitment and trial and putting back in prison and executing a negro man, Edmund, property of James Montgomery, deceased. 

July 14 Term 1856

Ordered that the attorney for the county William S. Johnson be paid such fees as shall seem to him to be reasonable and right for services rendered to county.

Ordered that John (Bird) Wright, jailor, be paid $39.65 for keeping and feeding Edmund, a negro man, in jail 47 days at 8.84 3/4 cents per day.

May 6 1856

ordered that W. J. and J. A. Hamilton be paid for large padlock for jail 1.50, 1qr paper .25

May 12 1856

Ordered that W. J. And J. A. Hamilton be paid for 12 yards black homespun for shroud for  Edmund 1.50.


01/30/2003

July Term, 1856.

Ordered that John Hortman be paid $6.00 for coffin and burial of Mary Butler.  W. T. Northern paid $25.00 for support of Mr.(s?) Cunningham.

Ordered that the Tax Collector levy and collect 25% on state tax for county purposes, 25% for poor school purposes and 12 1/2 for paupers. (First mention of support for paupers).

Ordered that Willis Hobbs, G. T. Coxwell and Joseph Johnson be appointed to review and change the road leading from Wilcher's Mills to Gorge T. Coxwell's.

Ordered that the road from Howard by Averitt's Mill on Whitewater, thence by John Herricks thence by Samuel Hughey's and thence to intersect the Tazewell Road at or near Bartlett's Mill.  S. L. Brewer and J. F. Herricks reviewed and approved said road.

Ordered that Gipson and M. Dean, James Whittle and John a Childs be appointed to lay out a road from Prattsburg to Butler crossing Patsaliga at Gipson Dean's (Isaac Mulkey still clerk Inf. Ct.)

Willis Edwards ordered to ba an appraiser for the Inf. Court to meet with the appraisers appointed by J. L. Downs and Muscogee Railroad to appraise damages fo railroad through lot 220 in 15th dist. the property of S. L. Downs.

8/5/1856

Gipson M. Dean, John A. Childs and James Whittle report they laid out and marked road from Prattsburg to Butler as follows:  Beginning at Prattsburg thence leaving the Daviston Road at Josiah Mathews plantation, thence by Thomas Wilson's and crossing the Wire Road at Dr. Merchison's, thence along the road to McCant's Mills to the place whereon the widow Taylor lives, thence by Thomas Silas, thence to cross Patsaliga at Joseph Fuller's, thence by the double ponds in the original 15th dist., thence to Butler, crossing the railroad at the road leading from Butler to Daviston.  

8/19/1856

Sheriff Wm. W. Wiggins death cause a vancacy for sheriff so Bartley McCrary appointed to fill office until an election can be had.

8/9/1856

Mark D. Lloyd to receive $20.00 to be paid to Charles A. Lloyd for his use.

8/27/1856

Ordered that Jeremiah C. McCants be paid $12.00 for lumber destroyed by burning the house wherein the Carter family had the smallpox.

10/10/1856

Ordered that James H. Winchell be paid $5.00 for clothing made for Edmund (who killed James Montgomery) by order of W. W. Wiggins, late sheriff.

 

January Term 1857

Ordered that James M. Willis, J. P. be paid  $23.00 for holding and inquest on body of James Barefoot on 12/12/1856.

Ordered that Arza T. Murray, John S. Murray and A. L. Wilson review and lay out a road commencing at the n/w corner of James Taylor's land, form thence to Mc Lendon's bridge on Whitewater thence to Turner's bridge on Cedar Creek.

 pg 92 Willis Mc Lendou paid $14.00 for use of Penny  Smith. Mrs. Pulleu paid $14.00 for Miss Sarah Ann  Partin, W. Maynard paid $14.00 for Hial Donegha.  Willis Hobbs pd. $14 for Thomas Bozeman.

2/14/1857.  

Gideon Newsom, A. J. Colbert and R. B. Ricker presiding.

Ordered that all the portion of Taylor which was cut off from the County of Macon lying west of Whitewater is hereby annexed to the 1071 District, said district line shall extend down Whitewater to Barfield's bridge and from thence run due east till it intersects line of Macon. 

2/26/1857. 

Edmond Stewart, J. P. and John Bird Wright, Jailor.Justices Andrew Colbert, Rucker, Edmond Stewart presiding, Isaac Mulkey, Clerk Inferior court.

4/7/1857 

The following Road and Patrol commissioners appointed for 1857.  John L. Parker, James T. May, Jerry C. McCants, Elam B. Waters.

William M. Stuckey and Wiley B. Shepherd for Butler District.

Bryant Ingram, Henry H. Long, John D. Mitchel, Alfred Coleman, Asa Marshall and David P. M. Brand for Reynolds District

Joel E. Montfort, C. F. Fickling, Benjamin Beeland, Thomas J. Drawhorn, David Beeland and Abel Windham for Panhandle District.

Pg 101 

James Layfield mentioned as Ex-Sheriff

Ordered that Hill Donegheage, Jesse Moore, Mark D. Loyd's family, Sarah Ann Partin be paid maintenance money.

Pg. 98 

Wm. C. Sibley, E. C. Butts, T. J. Riley, James J. Gray, Joseph Sheridan and John Searcy for Carsonville

D. A. J. Willis, Hiram Drane, John P. Culverhouse, John H. Wallace, Wyatt Seley and James Mathews for Daviston.

James M. Willis, John B. England, Willis Jinks, Jordan Wilchar, Joseph Hollis and Jacob Elliston for Whitewater (Howard & Rustin) District.

Wm. A. H. Royal, Johnathan Stewart, Willis Hobbs, Benett Stewart, John S. Murray and A.L.N. Wilson (Alex. Leonard) for Cedar Creek.

pg. 102

July Term, 1857 Johathan Stewart petions and gets $40.00 for laying off and surveying into town lots a certain lot of land in Butler belonging to Wm. B. Johnson under an agreement with Johnson. (That was probably land where school was and Methodist church)

14 petitioners (not named) ask for establishment of a public road from Benj. C. Williford's to intersect the Butler Road at Jaesse Mathews.

19 Petitioners (not named) ask for a road to be established leading from Lowe's Bridge on Whitewater to Turner's bridge on Cedar Creek saying it will forma  connection with road leading from Turner's Chapel to Americus and will promote the interest of the county more than any other road in the county.  The petition was granted up on the verbal promise of Gregory Julius Turner that the bridge of Cedar Creed was to be no expense to the county.

8/10/1857

Ordered that t abridge be built across Patsaliga Creek on the road running from the agency on Flint River to Reynolds and that Benjamin Beeland, Joseph Branan, Bryant Ingram and Gideon Newsom be appointed to let out, superintend the building and keep in repair the birdge for 7 years. (2/1/1858 Osborn Dowling paid $97.00 for building the bridge) Jonathan Stewart paid $4.00 for repairing bridge at Lewis Hill's.

Pg. 106

10/6/1857

Mrs. Millins paid $8.00 for clothing, shrouding for Josiah Layfield.

10/7/1857

True bill against Alfred T. Slaughter for murder of Thomas A. Walden and Slaughter ordered sent to Bibb Co., Macon Jail fo rsafekeeping.  Jailor of Taylor paid $20 to carry prisoner to Macon and $20. sent to Macon for his board. Guards of Slaughter paid $49.

Ordered that Adolph Baer (29 yrs old from Prussia, merchant, Taylor Co. Census of 1860) be paid $1.50 for engraving 2 seals.

11/5/1857

Vacancy in office of Inferior Court Clerk occasioned by death of Isaac Mulkey.  Charles Mulkey appointed to fill place till an election.

pg 109

1/11/1858

Enoch Garrett mentioned as Dep. Sheriff, J. B. Wright, Jailor.

12/2/1858

Osborn Downing paid $97.00 for building bridge above near Reynolds.

Feb. Term 1858

Robert L. Coursey pleads unable to pay honest debts.

Ordered that Bridgett Mullins be paid $22. for service and attention to Josiah Layfield for the last 6 mo. of his life. (Bridgett Mullins was 60 in the 1850 census of Talbot, wife of Lewis)

Mrs. Elizabeth Hamilton paid $17. for caring for Josephine and Thomas J. Walder, orphan children of Thomas Walsen Deceased from 10/5/1857-012/17/1857.

Catherine Cannon transfers title to lots 7 &* in Block 11 in City of Butler where she lived, to Robert Scandrett and authorized him to receive a title from the court for them.

Ordered that Theophilus Mc Gee be paid $4.05 back to him out of any funds in his hands arising form the sale of strays.

Ordered that John Anthony, Coroner be paid $12.50 for holding an inquest on body of Thomas Walden the first Monday in Oct. 1857

Ordered that Jesse Stallings and S. H. Dwight take the census of the county.

Ordered that E. B. Waters be paid $8 for work on jail and for irons etc.

Ordered that John Boyd had the right to change the road from Butler to Tazewell on Lot of land 66 by keeping up same and Wm. Anderson may change it on the other side of his house.

5/4/1858

Ordered that the old jail be torn down below the bottom windows and rebuilt with stronger bars, doors, windows and locks.  William Anderson got the job, to be done for $221.50. (The records tell fo people guarding the jail while prisoners are inside and some being sent to Macon for safekeeping.  It was built very strong by first specifications with doors lined with iron and many bars but the last had bigger bars, hinges etc.

Feb. Term 1858

Ordered that W.A.H. Royal, Jeremiah Wilchar and A. L. Wilson be appointed road commissioners for 1858 for Cedar Creek

John Canada and M.W. Willis for Whitewater dist.

D.A. J. Willis, Ely Rogers and Hiram Drand for Daviston, Wm. C. Sibley, W.T. Northon and John Sercey for Carsonville, C. B. Dixon, Benjamin Beeland and John S. Brooks for Panhandle, Bryant Ingram, Henry H. Long and John D. Mitchell for Reynolds and Judge John Sturdivant, Andy McCants and James Bartlett for Butler.

Gideon Newsom, Jessee Stallings, R. B. Rucker, Edmund Stewart and A. J. Colbert Justices of Inferior Court, Feb. term 1858

Columbus W. Wade mentions his store in Butler, groceries stolen from it. 4 hams, bacon 4 sacks flour, 1/3 rack of coffee, one pistol, 2 boxes cigare valued at $48.  June 23, 1858

Wiley B. Shepherd and Wm. J. Wilson mentioned as J. P.'s. 6-23-1858

August Term 1858

E. Stewart, D. Royal and C. Lindsey appointed to examine bridge across Whitewater at Lowe's bridge and have it repaired or rebuilt and John B. England, D. A .J. Willis appointed to let out building of a bridge across Patsaliga at Jinks.

List of goods in a store of George T. Rogers and son or R. W. Smith.

8-17-1858

Appointments for Road Patrol Commissioners for districts for 1858, John B. England, D.A. J. Willis and John H. Wallace for Daviston

Lawrence Walker, Joseph Riley and John Sercey for Carsonville, Martin Brooks, C. Dickson and David Shine for Panhandle.

Jordan Wilchar, George Elliston and Joseph Hollis for Whitewater, Herny Long, Asa Marshall and G. G. Potter for Reynolds

W. A. H. Royal, Johnathan Stewart and Willis Hobbs for Cedar Creek.

Ordered that the road from Butler to Stewart's Mill be changed leaving the road at the corner of J. H> Purvis's fence and intersecting the old road at Benj. Watson's

Ordered that S. Bartlett, W. Shepherd and E. Garrett renew route of road commencing on hill between  Anderson's And Garrett's and from thence the straightest and best route to Butler.

Ordered that Charles Mulkey and James T. Harmon be paid $25 each for extra services as Clerk fnd Deputy Clerk of this Court for 1857.

Ordered that John T. Gray be given the job of building a bride over Little Patsalaga near Bartley Mc Crary, Sr's on the old stage road and keep it up for 5 years for $75.

Ordered that Thomas Cameron be paid $8 part payment for repairs on R. B. Rucker be also paid $8 for repairs on jail and David Lawson be paid $4.50 for guards for jail and W. Mulkey, Dep. Sheriff be paid $1.90 for arrest of a prisoner.

8/18/1858

Ordered that J. M. Willis claimant, for Chesley B. Howard be paid $3.30 from sale of a certain cow strayed by J. A. Heath.

12/1/1858

Ordered that Wilburn Jinks be paid $150. for building Jinks bridge across Patselaga.

Feb. Term 1859

Jessee Stallings resigns his commission as Justice of Inferior Court

Patrick Henry Mc Elmurray homestead or bankruptcy proceeding named Eralburt W. Miller and Washington Wall as creditors

Feb. Term 1859

Ordered by the court that Daniel W. Miller, Washington L. Grice, James T. May, James A. Ricker and Henry Maghum be hereby appointed a board of examiners to examine teachers under the act of 1858 passed fro the purposes of education.

Ordered that George W. M. Gammon and Serrence H. Dwight  take the census of the county for the present year in conformity to the statute of the state.

Ordered that Thomas Ragland and company be paid $15 for 5 quire indexes for superior court (Thomas was 31 years old in 1850 census Macon Co. and living at Lanier later Miona Springs and now disappeared or overgrown).

Ordered that Abram Wainwright be paid $3.80 for services as coroner and fro services by bailiff in a inquest on the body of George Mc Dowell who died by violence.

John Turner to be paid $2 for two days service as bailiff during the term and that Jessee Stallings be paid $2 fro two days service as bailiff.  

2/15/1859

Bennett Stewart to be paid $23 for repairing Lowe's bridge across Whitewater.

Ordered that William G. Allman, S. H.  Adkins and James H. Allman appointed to point out a road commencing at Brooks Bridge on Cedar Creek thence due north to intersect the road from Stewart's Mills to Butler at or near Wm. H. Rays.

Ordered that Jonathan Stewart, Willis Hobbs and James N. Harris point out a road from Wilchar's Mill to Brown's Bridge on Whitewater (now Stuckey's)

Ordered that David O. Smith, Jesse Stallings and Willis McLendon mark out a road form Butler to W. W. Corbitt's

Ordered that the following be appointed road partole commissioners for their districts for 1859, William Waddell, W. H. Ingram and Joseph Brannon for Reynolds, Y. H. Caldwell, John Hudson, Jr. and John M. Hobbs for Cedar Creek, W. B. Shepherd, James R. Eliston and William Montgomery for Butler, David Beeland C. B. Dickson and Jacob Saylor for Panhandle

Henry H. Mangham Lawrence Walker and P. E.  Riley for Carsonville, John H. Wallace, D. A. J. WWillis and Leonard P. Breedlove for Daviston, Wilborn Jinks, Joseph Hollis and William Wilson for Whitewater.

Newsom, Stewart Rucker Colbert, Justices.

Lucius Q. C. McCrary, Sheriff

7/19/1859

James Griffith, M. D.

Jas. A. Rucker to be paid $4 he paid out for transporting prisoners to the Columbus jail and $2 each to C. A. J. Pope and J. W. Stringfield as guards.  

8/8/1859

W. S. Wallace paid $25 for transportation and maintenance for prisoners.

Dempsey A. J. Willis, John B. England and George A. Heath appointed commissioners to act with commissioners from Talbot County to build a bridge on Patsaliga Creek the dividing line between this county and Talbot.

Henry F. Wilson, Frances Wilson, Maryann Wilson bastard children of Adaline Wilson paid $10 to Henry Wilson (grandfather of them).

August Term 1859

Ordered that tax collector collect on the state tax 50% for county purposes  and 12 1/2 % for pauper funds.

Ordered that the court pay Hugh Knox, Jailor of Muscogee, $93.10 for board for prisoners from this county.

Elizabeth Presswood received $10 from County and infirm child of Hiarm Williams.

Elbert Fagan gets homestead or delcares bankruptcy.

Feb. Term 1860

James A. Rucker mentioned as Dep. Sheriff.

Ordered that Catherine Cannon be Paid for$1.25 for dining four jurors and a bailiff during the last superior court.  Griffith and Montrogt be paid $5.50  for blankets furnished county.  Chas. Mulkey paid $50.00 for extra clrk of inf. Ct. for 1859.

Mrs. Haried Perry paid  $12 for board of prisoners and guards at hotel.

Road Commissioners for 1860 

Town District:  Williw Whatley, Thomas R. King, Charles Lloyd

Whitewater: Joseph Hollis, Willis Jinks, Turner Willis

Cedar Creek;  A. L. N. Wilson, Zachariah Watkins, Willis hobbs

Reynolds: H. H. Long, P. J. Mullins, wm. H. Ingram

Panhandle:  Joes E. Montfort, Able Windham, C. F. Fickling

Carsonville: John T. Gray, William A. Wilson John Sercey

Daviston;  w. H. Grier, Hiram Drane, D. A. H. Willis

The above put in good order, measured and sign boards put up as the law directs.

Gideon Newsom and Samuel Montgomery to repair or rebuild the bridge known as Montgomery's across Patsaliga and Lawrence Walker, B. A. Northern and John Sercey build or repair one across Little Patsaliga 

August Term 1860

Justices Newsom, E. H. Wilson, Rucker, Colbert and John A. Childs, presiding

It appeared to the court that the laws stated it necessary for the inferior court and ordinary to act as examining committee in connection with some proper person to be appointed with them as one of the board of education so they appointed W. L. Grice

Feb. term 1860

Ordered that H. H. Davis be paid $1.20 fro claim docket for inferior court . 

August Term 1860

Isaac Ellis and wife Peggy, destitute and county to pay Wm. H. Heard the $20.00 for their use or send them to Alabama.  

John H. Wallace and Thomas E. Riley appointed to confirm and carry out agreement with Wm. B. Hohnson concerning a lot of land in or near town of Butler. 8/13/1860

Justices Rucker, Wilson and Childs presiding.

Ordered that W. J. Evans be paid $35 for furnishing the court house lightning rods as soon as the county jail can be paid for.

Feb. Term 1861 John Anthony to be paid $27.50 for inquest and burial of John T. (Morton) Moulton and B. F. Newson and G. W. Newson be paid $ 20. for post mortem exam of John T. Morton (Moulton)

Feb Term 1861

Justices Childs, Y. H. Caldwell, Waters and Willis

Drs Newsoms paid for post mortem of William S. Or L Hoskins and George McDowell

Following appointed road and patrol commissioners for 1861. 

Butler, North of RR: Jas. A. Rucker, J. P. and A. J. McCants, T. H. Brown

South of RR:  Jas. W. Gibson, J. P. and J. R. Ellison, H. L. Green

Whitewater Jas. M. Willis, Allen Crawford, Jordan Wilchar

Cedarcreek: William A. H. Royal, J. P. John S. Murray, Simeon Thompson

Reynolds:  Wm. Waddell , J.P. and william Ingram , Thomas Amerson

Carsonville: John Sercey, John T. Gray, T. McGee

Panahndle: C. B. Dickson, J. P. and Thomas Humphries, J. J. Saylor

Daviston: Wm. H. Helms, J. P. and William C. Sibley, F. M. McKinney.

 

Justices Waters, Childs, Y. H. Caldwell presiding

W. J. F. Mitchell and Lewis Hill paid for bridge repairs and Jhon M. Wilchar and James Jones for repairs on bridge at Montgomery's

August term 1861

Persons receiving assistance from the county

Hiram Williams Child

H. Donegan

Sarah Ricks

Nancy Lamb

Isaac Ellis and Wife

Jane ? Johnson and children

Sarah Gee and children

Rhoda Sutton

 

The War of Northern Aggression began during this time and the next page will be Taylor in the Confederacy