Brantley was one of the last Georgia counties created (156th). The county was formed in 1920 from Charlton, Pierce, and Wayne counties and was named for Benjamin D. Brantley, a member of a prominent local family, although some historians claim the name honors State Senator William Goodman Brantley of Brunswick.
There are two municipalities in Brantley County, Nahunta, the county seat, and Hoboken. Nahunta sounds Indian, but in fact the name is a colloquialism derived from railroad maps and a sign, "N.A. Hunter Siding."
The 35,789-acre Dixon Memorial State Forest, shared by Brantley and Ware counties, is administered by the Georgia Forestry Commission. Brantley County residents also have access to the Harrington Tract Wildlife Management Area (shared with Glynn County) and the Rayonier Wildlife Management Area (shared with Wayne County).
Fort McIntosh is a military fort from the
American Revolution located near the Satilla River in Brantley
County, Georgia near the present site of the intersection of US
Route 82 and Georgia Route 110 near the town of Atkinson, Georgia.
Click on the arrow and drop down the boxes to select
© 2005 - gagenweb.org