Alexander Lee Miller's History Of Bethel Association
BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH (1856-1932)
|The Bethel Baptist Church came into the
Bethel Baptist Association by a petitioner letter on November 1,
1856 at the session held with
the Blakely Baptist Church. Brother W. S. Leggett was reported as
the Pastor that year and C. H. Davis, Clerk. Jas. Freeman and O. H.
Davis were the first delegates. The membership was reported as 10.
The following Pastors have served Bethel Baptist Church since its
organization: 1856, W. S. Leggett. R. Thornton from 1857 to 1861. No
Pastor reported in 1861 and 1862. R. J. Powell served as Pastor in
1863. No Pastor reported in 1864. R. Thornton was Pastor in 1865 and
1866. R. A. J. Powell succeeded him and served until 1869. J. S.
Parker then began his Pastoral ship and served until 1872. No Pastor
reported in 1872, L. R. Sims was Pastor in 1873. John Martin
succeeded him and served until 1878.
No report in 1878. H. R. McLendon became Pastor in 1879 and served
until 1881. He was succeeded by J. H. Corley who served until 1885.
R. B. Taylor then served as Pastor in 1885. Then came J. S. Knowles
for the years 1886 and 1887. J. W. Martin became Pastor in 1888 and
served for five years. W. M. Howell served in 1893. No report
for years 1894, 1895 and 1896. J. E. Dykes served as Pastor in
1897 and 1898. No Pastor reported in 1889, 1900 and 1901. J. A.
Rooks then became Pastor until 1906. No Pastor reported for years
1906, 1907, 1908 and 1909. J. E. Dykes then became Pastor
and served for 10 years. No Pastor reported in 1920 and 1921. J. A.
Etheridge succeeded as Pastor in 1922 and served until 1927. In 1927
J. L. Pate became Pastor and served two years. No Pastor was
reported in 1929. J. L. Pate served as Pastor in 1930. J. A.
Etheridge succeeded him in 1931.
The Clerks of the Bethel Church have been as follows: C. H.
Davis in 1856; Jas. Freeman to 1868; J. J. King to 1869; J.
Underwood to 1872; no report in 1872; John Melton to 1881; G. A.
*Granberry* to 1885;
to 1891; J. C. Camp
succeeded him and served as Clerk for 17 years; O. A. Cox in 1910;
J. F. Robinson until 1918; C. J. Cox in 1918 and 1919; No report in
1920 and 1921 R. W. Woolf until 1925; no clerk reported in 1925; C.
W. Shierling to present date (1932). The present total membership of
this church is 97.
Note: Was this the same
G. A. Granberry from the same family where "George received land in Warren
County during the Land Bounty?
Granberry , George WARREN
1880 Clay Census - M. R. Camp - (Nephew-J.
C. Camp) (Male) W- 17 - At School (is this the same J.C)