County was named in honor of Governor Peter
Early, a Virginia native who served Georgia as a
congressional delegate, and, later, Governor of
Georgia from 1813 to 1815.
In 1817 a limited number of people
settled in Early County, but by 1818 quite a few
took up residence on Harrod's Creek (now known
as the Old Factory Creek) on the Chattahoochee
No provisions were made for the
election of county officers until the
Organization Act was passed in 1819. A
temporary courthouse was established at the home
of Richard Grimsley for the election of county
officers and sessions of the Inferior Court.
The first court was held on March 27, 1820 and
continued to be held here until 1825.
As settlers began to settle in
different parts of Early County it became
necessary to create new counties for the
administration of law and order. The following
counties have been created from the original
Decatur, in 1823.
from Decatur and Irwin, in 1825.
Dougherty, from Baker. in 1853.
Calhoun, from Early and Randolph, in 1854.
from Early and Randolph, in 1854.
Mitchell, in 1857.
Colquitt, from Thomas and Lowndes, in 1856.
from Thomas and Decatur, in 1905.
Seminole, from Decatur, in 1920.
Read more history on our