Franklin County, was created in 1784 from
lands obtained from the Cherokee Indian Nation, and named for Benjamin Franklin.
It covered a large part of upper Georgia, from the present day borders of Rabun
and Towns counties to Clark and from the Savannah river to the Oconee in Hall
and Jackson counties. The county seat of Carnesville was laid out in 1805 and
named for Thomas Peter Carnes.
The Clerk of the Superior Court has divorce and Civil Court records from 1900 forward as well as Indian records dating from 1860. Some of Franklin Counties records prior to 1850 are located at the Georgia Archives. Federal Census records are available from 1830 forward.
Our Site is Hosted by: USGenNet, Inc.