History of Haralson County, Georgia
Haralson County was created when the Georgia General Assembly passed an act
to create and organize Haralson County from part of Carroll and Polk counties,
making it the 112th county in Georgia. The same act creating the county
provided for its annexation to the then -Fifth Congressional District, the Blue
Ridge Judicial Circuit, and the First Brigade of the Eleventh Division of the
Georgia Militia. Researchers searching for ancestors in Haralson should also check Paulding
County because of its carvings out and boundary changes over a several year
period. The county seat is Buchanan, GA. Haralson was named for General Hugh A. Haralson, a U.S. Representative
and an officer in the State Militia from LaGrange, Georgia.
Tallapoosa, the Dogwood City, was named for the river that runs through
Haralson County. Tallapoosa is also known for having opened the first free
school in Georgia in 1889. The Annual Dogwood Festival, the Haralson County Arts
and Crafts Festival, and the Waco Fest are among the annual festivals held
throughout the year in Haralson County. The John Tanner State Park is a major
recreational attraction of the county.
Notable personalities from Haralson County include House Speaker Thomas B.
Murphy, who has held the office of State House speaker longer than anyone else
in the United States.
Cities/Towns in the area: Bremen, Buchanan, Tallapoosa, and Waco.
Neighboring Counties: TO the North -- Polk TO the Northeast -
Southeast - Carroll -- Southwest - Cleburne, Alabama
|Incorporation was granted for Buchanan (Dec. 22, 1857) and it became
the county seat. Originally it was called Pierceville, the town name was
changed to honor President James Buchanan. The name was changed
after it was discovered that another town in Georgia was already named
|Tallapoosa (don't laugh), was originally named Possum Snout, was
incorporated as a city December 20th, 1860.
|Bremen was originally called Kramer, but when it was incorporated it
was given the name Bremen. (The Kramer name came from a German immigrant
who owned a vineyard there. When it became incorporated Kramer wanted
the name changed to Bremen after Bremen, Germany.
|Dean was changed to Wacoville (population 150) 1883. In 1885
Wacoville was chartered and changed to Waco.
Pacific Railroad was constructed 1883.
|The first entirely free school in Georgia was organized in
Tallapoosa - alas a public school system formed in 1889.
|Lithia Springs Hotel was built in 1892. This grand hotel brought
visitors from the north and south to enjoy extravagant lodgings &
hospitality. It was stated to be the largest wooden building in
the South during this time period. Boasting 175 rooms, an
elevator, ballroom, banquet hall, billiard/pool room, it was probably
the awe of the South. Lithia Springs was billed as a place to
visit for one's health, New Yorkers (The Yanks) traveling to the hotel
endured a train ride of approximately 32 hours and a hard hit to their
purse at $38.65 for a round trip passage.
|In 1896, Felton, was the last town to apply for charter, and had a
population of 100.
Haralson is rich in history, we hope to provide more here at a later time
after we have done more reading and research.