Dr. Crawford W.
Long on March 30, 1842, first used ether for surgical anesthesia.
Born in Danielsville, Georgia on November 1, 1815, he entered UGA,
then known as Franklin College at the age of 14. Upon graduating
five years later, he apprenticed under Dr. Grant of Jefferson,
Georgia, before leaving Georgia to attend the Medical Department of
Transylvania University and the University of Pennsylvania Medical
School. It was here that he received his surgical training.
Following one year’s internship in New York City, Crawford W. Long
returned to Jefferson and purchased the practice of his former
mentor, Dr. Grant.
County, originally part of Burke and Warren counties, was created in
1796 and named for Thomas Jefferson.
Louisville, the county seat, was named in honor of King Louis XVI of
France, because of the
support given by France to the Colonials in the Revolution.
Louisville was Georgia's third state capital, but its first
"permanent" one. The Jefferson County Courthouse, built in 1904,
stands on the site of Georgia's first permanent capitol, constructed
Louisville was the site of the Constitutional
Convention of 1798 in which the state's pre-Civil War constitution
was adopted. Georgia's Great Seal, which is still in use today, was
adopted at the same time.
The Old Market House, the county's major tourist attraction, dates
to the 1790s and served as the commercial center for the region
during the time that the state capital was in Louisville. The photo
above shows the old slave marketplace in Jefferson and Reese Grocery
in Jefferson. Read more history here.
Photos: Courtesy of Vanishing Georgia Project
Our server space proudly sponsored by: USGENNET