http://www.gagenweb.org

Newton County was created by the Georgia General Assembly on 24 Dec. 1821, and was named for the Revolutionary War hero Sgt. John Newton is remembered for saving several patriots from execution when he made prisoners of their British Guards.. Sgt. John Newton is remembered for saving several patriots from execution when he made prisoners of their British Guards. Formed from parts of Henry, Jasper and Walton. The Creeks gave up their claim to the land through a negotiated treaty in 1813 with Governor Thorp.  The first white settlers settled in E. Newton County (Winton); "The Brick Store" was built in 1822 and still stands today.  Newtonsboro was established when the water supply lessened in the area and settlers moved westward.  The name was changed to Covington after General Leonard Covington, a hero in the 1812 war, it was incorporated in 1853.

Locations in Newton are:  Almon, Brick Store, Cornish Mountain, Dial Town, Gum Creek, Magnet, Mansfield, Newborn, Oxford, Porterdale, Rocky Plains, Salem, Starrsville, Stewart

 
Trivia - Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, Mississippi, and Texas' Jaspers and Newtons are all joined at county lines.

Our Affiliates:
GeorgiaGenWeb.org - http://www.gagenweb.org or http://www.gagenweb.org 
Southernfolk.us - http://www.southernfolk.us  AHGP - http://www.ahgp.org


Our Site is Hosted by:  USGenNet - http://www.usgennet.org