The first Catholic Church in Pickens County was in Tate. It was built when the marble-cutters of Catholic faith came to the valley to do some work for Piedmont Marble Company. They built and dedicated the Church, returned to their homes and the Church went to ruins. Nothing remains of it today.
You can read more about this in the History of Pickens County by Luke E. Tate
Known to many as the home of Georgia Marble and other Marble Works.
Tate was the site of the first election and court in the new Cherokee Territory in 1832. The court was held in the house of Ambrose Harnage, later the settlement was named after him. The Post Office was officially known as Marble Works for several years, then renamed Harnageville. It was not renamed "Tate" until the early 1880's when the Railroad came through. One of the founding fathers was Colonel Sam Tate.
Incorporated in 1857.
Nelson aptly named for John Nelson, whose property was purchased by Georgia Marble Company for a finishing plant which was strategically located alongside the RR line. Nelson was also an accomplished gunsmith whose guns are highly prized by the area people that own them.
was settled by a group of Presbyterian families that came to the area predominately around the time of the Indian removal from the area. It is close to the site of the old Indian Village "Sanderstown". Mr. William C. Atherton owned of the first cotton mills in the area and it grew until the Civil War when it was destroyed by Sherman's raid. The location on the Western Atlantic Railroad was advantageous, and was later when it was the L&N RR.
Talking Rock is a quaint little town that has not decided that recreation of New York or Atlanta is a necessity for its area. The past is alive and well in Talking Rock.
Visit Talking Rock Realty - ask for Jane Neighbors. http://www.talkingrockrealty.com
|Thanks for visiting us - visit our parent site -
Return to Pickens County, Georgia History and Genealogy Project