HISTORY  Walton County was laid out by the Lottery Act of 1818; was organized in 1819 and named in honor of George Walton, one of the three Georgians who signed the Declaration of Independence. The first court held in Walton County was at "Cow Pens", about three miles southeast of the present courthouse, and Judge John M. Dooley from the northern district presided. Cow Pens is said to have received its name from its use by Richard Easley of Athens, Georgia. Mr. Easley, owning large herds of cattle, came into possession of lands surrounding the spot where Cow Pens is now located and sent his herd there to graze.  Mr. Easley having built several protective "pens" or shelters for his cattle would call this place "Cow Pens" to differentiate between his other grazing places.   A fire in 1857 swept the entire section fronting Broad Street between the streets now known as Spring and Washington. The Courthouse was the only building left standing. Following the fire, the first brick buildings were erected.  

LINKS   Please check here for pertinent links. NEW * 5,000 MARRIAGE RECORDS*  *Marriages Record*


This site is part of the GeorgiaGenWeb Project @
GAGenWeb.org & GeorgiaGenWeb.Org

Our Affiliations include:

American History & Genealogy Project
SouthernFolk.US
GAGenWeb.Org
US Data Repository

Make sure to visit GAGenWeb.Org main pages
to visit our Library of Online History books, Military site,
Online NewsPaper Articles, GA Criminals, Indian Captives
and many more great sites of interest - our county list is
here.


Our Site is Generously Hosted by:
Hosted by USGenNet
USGenNet.Org

Georgia GenWeb County Selection  County Manager Contacts  Georgia Books  Cemetery & Churches  What About Georgia  Counties Formation  Georgia Resources  Georgia county map  Burned  Mail Lists  Military  Newspapers  Voyage to Georgia

2005 GAGenWeb.Org
All Rights Reserved.
Legal Notice

 

 

eXTReMe Tracker