Pleasant Grove Baptist Church

Over 100 years old 


 By: Violet Moore

 

In 1854, there were only four Baptist Churches in Macon County County Line , Hamburg , Lanier and Oglethorpe.

 

[Note: This was probably the churches on the west side of the Flint River because “my church”, Marshallville Baptist Church was constituted as Greenwood Baptist Church in 1848 then moved to town [Marshallville] when the Railroad came through in 1850 & 1851 and has remained there since]

 

  Centennials-plus have been celebrated by the Oglethorpe and County Line Baptist Churches , both of which are well launched into their second century.

  The Hamburg Baptist Church , serving a postoffice village that now has only the ontime home of the postmaster to mark its old location, was drawn into the Oglethorpe church when that early settlement, burgeoning with its new identity as railroad terminus, wrested the county seat from by-passed rivertown Lanier.

  Not only the population but every stick and stone of the buildings disappeared from the Lanier site.

 

[Guess maybe Mrs. Moore did not visit the site as the Postoffice building still stands in 2002 with a slot in the wall to drop you letters.]

COPYRIGHT  NOTICE: These electronic pages may  NOT be reproduced in any format for or presentation by any other organization or persons.  Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, submitter, or the legal representative of the contributor, submitter, and contact Margie Daniels  with proof of this consent.  1996 -2006

Material on located on this site belongs to the contributor, copyrighted for their compilation and many are private records not found in any public domain records.  The data remains the sole property of the submitter and does not become a property of any organization.  The submitters have not entered into any agreements with the CC's of this site or their space provider to have permanent use of any material on this site.

Margie Daniels , Millie Stewart  and   Davine Cambpell  County Managers


Last date updated 04/10/2006

This site is part of the Georgia GenWeb