History of Macon County
by Louise Frederick Hays
The History of Macon County
Submitted by Harriett Fuquay
History of Macon County Georgia by Louise Frederick Hays
Timothy Barnard was the first white man known to be a resident of the lands now called Macon County. He was a man of unusual intellect. Marrying into the Euchee Tribe of Indians, he became a member of the tribe and as such, he gained influence over the Indians, controlling their politics and holding them ever loyal, not only to the white man but to the United States Government. Barnard's Settlement, on the Flint, was a popular place between 1790 and 1820.
He was of English descent and of gentle blood. His grandfather, Sir John Barnard, was a English Baronet and at one time Lord Mayor of London; was prominent in the House of Commons and had a distinguished judicial career. His son, Col. John Barnard, married Jane Bradley in London in 1743. She was the daughter of Wm. Bradley of Lee Street, Red Lyon Square, County of Middlesex, Gentleman. Wm. Bradley, at the time of his death, owned lands in Georgia, South Carolina and Spanish Bonds of over a million dollars. Col. John Barnard settled his family on Wilmington Island, which had been granted him by King George II. There he reared a family, descendants of whom are among the leading families of Georgia today, including the Adams, Chisolm, Demere and Screven families of Chatham County. Timothy, the oldest son of Col. John Barnard and Jane Bradley, filled with the youthful spirit of adventure and lured by the stories of untold wealth, left his Wilmington Island home, brav!
ing the dangers, and went into the Creek Nation some time before the Revolution. The path into the nation led through this country but it is not supposed that he would have stopped alone in an uninhabited place. Since we know that he married a Euchee Indian girl, we can very naturally suppose that he went direct to the Euchee (Yuchi or Uche) town on the Chattahoochee. Here it is related he married his Euchee wife and started back eastward in search of a location for a settlement. It might be supposed that he stopped at Intuchculgua, the Euchee town, in the northwest corner of Macon County. Or he may have stopped at Padgeeliqua (from Padgee - a pidgeon, and liqua -sit-pidgeon roost) where there was a crossing over the Flint. This was a large Euchee town, eighteen miles up Flint River (now Taylor County) until broken up by Benjamin Harrison and his associates who murdered sixteen of the gun-men. But where ever he wandered with his Indian wife, we are certain that Timot!
hy Barnard located his settlement in Macon County on the right banks o f Thronateeska (thronato, flint; eska, where it is picked up --creek--Flint) River one and one-half miles below where the Opilthlucco (Buck) Creek joins the Flint and here he remained for more than forty years.
His home was located on the west side of Flint River on the present site of the town of Oglethorpe. Sampson Kitchens, who is ninety years old, states that the Indian store was about where the Oglethorpe depot is today, and that it was known as an Indian Trading Post. He remembers some of the Indians by name. Among them John and Pete. He further states that the cemetery between the railroads known as the Small Pox Cemetery was the Indian graveyard. The Early map of Georgia, 1818, marks this home place and also the farm of his sons on the left bank of the Flint several miles north of his settlement. The map also shows his farm in the forks of the Creek which still bears his name, Barnard's Creek (incorrectly marked Barnetts Creek on the Macon County map). Sam Harp states that he has found Indian utensils and other relics on this place.
His farm was undoubtedly located on the lands above and including Miona Springs, which was known to be a great meeting place of the Indians. The Indians clung to the streams and they found the tributaries of the Flint a most agreeable and alluring place to them on account of the fish, the game and the fertile soil close to the banks.
Benjamin Hawkins, a graduate of Princeton and a United States Senator from North Carolina, was appointed "Principal Agent for Indian Affairs South of the Ohio" by President Washington on November 19, 1796. His first move was to visit Timothy Barnard and to learn from him the customs and manners of the Indian and as much or their language as possible. He found Barnard living in great happiness with his Indian wife and children, with an abundance of everything that the soil or the herd could yield, and practicing a crude, but profuse hospitality. He owned a number of negro slaves, had a peach orchard on the very land which the peach industry has made famous in this generation; he had a herd of cattle, many horses, owned and cultivated much of the best land of Macon County. He had newspapers and his daughters owned silverware and silver beads.
After a visit from February 5th to 21st, 1797, to Barnard, Benjamin Hawkins, accompanied by Barnard and his son, Homanhedge, started out for the Ocmulgee. After crossing the Flint at Barnard's Crossing, they turned north and soon came to the farm where Barnard's son, Timpoochee, with his Creek wife, was moving into a recently constructed house. A little further they saw his sons, Pheloga and Yuccohpee, clearing a field and preparing logs of pine for their houses. A friendship was formed between Hawkins and Barnard which continued through the years; Hawkins visited Barnard repeatedly, spending three days with him in April, 1798. Recognizing Timothy Barnard's unusual ability, and his accredited standing with both the whites and the Indians, Hawkins made him his Chief Counsellor, and he was fortunate in having such a diplomat to serve between the agents of the United States Government and the Chiefs of the Indian Tribes. He appointed him his Principal Temporary Agent !
of the Indians south of the Ohio, and made him his Interpreter, for which he received a salary of $700 a year.
In compliance with a treaty and realizing the necessity of reaching supplies for his settlement, Timothy Barnard blazed a pathway from the Uchee Town in Alabama, passing Coweta Town (later Ft. Mitchell) on the Chattahoochee, paralleling for twenty miles the Ancient Horse Path, running through Muscogee, Chattahoochee, Marion and Schley Counties, going through the Euchee Town of Intuchculgua, in Macon County, where the old road is still called the "Old Indian" road, to Barnard's Store on the Flint. Here the path forked, one line extending from Barnard's settlement due south, joining the Indian Path which crossed the northern part of Florida from Mobile, the ancient capitol of the Creek Nation, to St. Augustine. In this way he established a route to Mobile, Pensacola and St. Augustine.
The other fork of Barnard's Path crossed Flint River at Barnard's Crossing, later known as Travelers Rest, following the old River Road along the banks of the Flint, through old Drayton in Dooly County, through Crisp County, lower corner of Turner County, through northern Dougherty, crossing the Ocmulgee Town Path, turning eastward, it passed through Worth, Tift and Berrien Counties, crossing the Alapaha River, passing through northern part of Clinch, Central Ware, crossing Hurricane Creek and Satilla River in Pierce County down through southern part of Wayne, crossing the St. Marys River, passing through two sections of Charlton and Traders Hill, following the St. Marys River by Colerain through Camden County to the town of St. Marys.
Barnard's Path was the main thoroughfare from the Chattahoochee to the ocean and was in general use in the first of the last century. It is shown in "Carey and Lea's Complete Historical, Chronological and Geographical American Atlas of 1823 Plate 25" and in "Farmers New American Atlas." Tradition says that one of Barnard's camping grounds on this trail was just west of Isabella, later called San Barnard. This was a famous camp and hunting ground as late as 1850. San Barnard served as the first County site for Worth County. The Daughters of the American Revolution in Sylvester named their Chapter "Barnard Trail."
In more recent years, a trail known as Hathorn Trail followed the first part of this fork from Barnard's Path to Dougherty. Mr. I. F. Murph of Marshallville used Hathorn Trail in 1863 during the War between the Sttes, when he went to Goose Creek. Fla., below Tallahassee, with six wagons for a supply of salt for the community.
There was a trail called "Old Slosheye Trail" which led from Hartfort (Hawkinsville) to Drayton connecting there with Barnard's Path. This trail is shown on original Land Grant No. 184 of 7th District, Dooly County, made to Robert Jemison of Bledsoes District, Putnam County, on August 16, 1824. The land surveyed, September 1, 1821, original plat and grant in possession of Carl L. DeVaughn,. For this trail also see Fleming History Crisp Co. Vol. I.
These paths were the first established trails in South Georgia and did much toward the development of Georgia. They linked Indian Villages in the western part of the state to the English settlements in Southwest Georgia and to the Spanish settlements in Florida. They were constantly used by Indians and white settlers and each year brought pioneers seeking suitable lands for farms and homes. It developed into a great thoroughfare and brought the isolated traders into close connection with the important trading posts at Traders Hill, Colerain, Centervillage and St. Marys. These trails were used later as the stage coach routes.
During the years Benjamin Hawkins was in the Creek Nation, he and Timothy Barnard kept up a continual correspondence. Many of these letters are preserved in the American State papers. Mr. Barnard was conducting a rural free delivery mail system of his own,. He had a well known mail route between 1796 and 1807, and mail was carried by his own runners, his sons or his nephew, John Cloudy. His mail went along Barnard's Path and Barnard frequently stopped for the night at Trader's Hill on his way to St. Marys. He sent his mail by boat up and down Flint River, particularly when writing to Mr. Hawkins.
Submitted by Harriett Fuquay
From: "History of Macon County" by Louise
Frederick Hays Pg. 729
CHAPTER II continued page 30
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, submitter, or the legal representative of the contributor, submitter, and contact Margie Daniels with proof of this consent. 1996 -2006
Material on located on this site belongs to the contributor, copyrighted for their compilation and many are private records not found in any public domain records. The data remains the sole property of the submitter and does not become a property of any organization. The submitters have not entered into any agreements with the CC's of this site or their space provider to have permanent use of any material on this site.
This site is part of the Georgia GenWeb