[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Mr. J.F. Carter

Paulding New Era

11 Jul 1884

Transcribed by: 

A Horrible Accident.  Last Friday, when the excursion train on the E.T.Va & Ga. Railroad stopped at the depot in Dallas, a large number of our citizens got aboard.  Among them were Mr. J.F. Carter, a young man about twenty-three years of age, and two of his brothers and three sisters, who live near town.  There had been seated for the excursion several flat cars, and they got aboard one of them.  After the train started Frank climbed onto one of the brakes and proceeded to make himself comfortable on his elevated seat. 

His friends, brothers and sisters urged him to get down, reminding him that he was in great danger, but he replied that he knew what he was doing and that he apprehended no danger.  The other side of the Chattahoochee Bridge, near the six mile siding, he was notice by some on board to have a pistol in his hand and to lean over as if intending to shoot down between the ears.  It is thought that he dropped the pistol and leaned over so far looking after it that he lost his balance and slipped form the brake.  When he started to fall he made a beseeching appeal for help, but although several hands were stretched forth to save him, he fell betweens the cars and the ponderous wheels passed over him crushing the life out of him instantly and horribly mangling his body.  His body was entirely severed near the middle, about four inches of the backbone being torn out, and one of his legs and an arm cut off. 

As soon as the train could be stopped it was backed back to the place of the accident.  A most horrible sight was presented and the grief of his brothers and sisters was pitiable to behold.  Coroner Hillburn, of Atlanta, was notified and came out and viewed the remains and ordered them taken up and removed to an undertaker’s and prepared for burial, and they were taken to the city on a special train. 

The railroad company purchased a casket and a new suit of clothes for the deceased and paid the expenses of preparing the body for burial.  Mr. Pinson Carter, the father, was telegraphed of the accident, and went down and assisted in the sad duty of preparing the body for burial. 

The remains of the deceased were brought to Dallas on the excursion train, which arrived at 9 o’clock p.m.  Saturday they were interred at the Dallas cemetery in the presence of a large crowd of people who had assembled to pay the last sad rites to the deceased. 

The family have the sympathy of the community in their sad affliction.

[an error occurred while processing this directive] Last updated: Tuesday, 06-Apr-2010 18:00:00 CDT