[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Mr. J. Ira Rawls

Paulding New Era
20 Dec 1883
Transcribed by: 


Death of Mr. J. Ira Rawls.  A gloom was cast over the town of Dallas on Monday morning last by the announcement that Mr. J. Ira Rawls was dead.  He died at his room at the Christian hotel of typhoid-malarial fever about two o’clock Monday morning, surrounded by friends and relatives. 

Mr. Rawls was born and raised in Wilkinson County, Ga., and up to about ten months ago was a resident of that county.  Dallas was at that time coming into notice as a town that was likely to build up, and Mr. Rawls come here looking out for a place to locate in business.  He was not long in seeing the many advantages which Dallas possessed, and soon established a general mercantile business at this place, taking into partnership with him his brother, Mr. Robert I. Rawls, and Mr. Elbert Davis, a highly esteemed friend of his in Toombsboro, and opened up business here under the firm name of Rawls, Bros. & Co.  From that time until the day of his death he had steadily gained in popularity making friends by the score, and today there is no one in our community, who is more universally loved and respected than was Mr. Rawls, and our people mourn with the family over his death. 

He was confined to his bed for about sixteen days, and up to last Thursday was not thought to be in a very dangerous condition.  Early last week a telegram was sent to his mother and brothers, which called them to Dallas and to his bedside.  His mother and one of his brothers remained, but two of them returned to their business in South Georgia, thinking that their brother was in no danger.  Thursday morning, when his physician visited him, he saw immediately that he had changed for the worse, and told the family that he was then in a very dangerous condition, and requested them to call in some other physician in consultation with him.  Dr. John Thad Johnson was telegraphed for and arrived here early Friday morning but seeing that the attending physician was giving the patient every attention he returned to Atlanta on the next train.  From Thursday, up to the time of his death he sank rapidly, and on Sunday morning the other brothers were telegraphed for, and Mr. B.H. Rawls, who is located at Indian Springs, arrived about 10 o’clock Sunday night, but the other brothers, being further off, did not get the telegram in time to get here before their beloved brother was ill in death. 

His remains were carried to Stephensville for interment, and the family was met in Atlanta by the remaining tow brothers, who not getting the telegram in time to get here before the down train left this place, were waiting there for the other members of the family.  A large crowd of citizens followed the remains to the depot, and many sorrowful faces were seen as the train moved off with the remains of one they loved so well and one they knew they would never again see. 

Mr. Rawls was a young man, about 24 years of age, of fine business qualifications and was doing a thriving business in this place, and will be greatly missed in this county. 

In early youth he joined the Church and was never known to do anything unbecoming a Christian gentleman.  We were in the room Sunday night about 8 o’clock when Rev. B.F. Payne offered prayer, and during the whole time of the prayer the young man, then thought to be unconscious, prayed fervently, and after prayer, in answer to a question as to how he felt about a future home in heaven, he replied that he would be saved. 

Mr. Rawls was well attended from the beginning of his illness, but it seemed impossible to say the onward course of the terrible disease.  His mother was continually at his bedside administering to his every want from the time she arrived, and his brother worked with untiring energy to save him and to nurse him back to health; but, alas! It was all in vain.  Death came and relieved him from all the cares and troubles of this life, and he passed away without a struggle to meet his Father in heaven, surrounded by his mother and three brothers and numerous friends. 

He leaves a mother and five brothers to mourn his death.  The bereaved family has the sympathy of the entire community.  We extend our sympathies to the bereaved family in this their hour of bereavement.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Last modified: Wednesday, 07-Apr-2010 18:00:00 CDT