Georgia Memoirs vol. 2
M. T. Duskin merchant and farmer, was born in Stewart County in 1839. His grandfather, Michael Duskin, was a native of NC, where he married Elizabeth Atkins, the daughter of an old resident of that state. In 1830, with his wife and family of 8 children, Michael Duskin came to Georgia and settled in Stewart county, where he lived until 1847, when he went to Florida with his wife and part of his children. He died there about 2 years later at the age of sixty years. His wife survived him many years and died at the age of eighty four. The founder of the Georgia branch of the Duskin family was one of the original Whigs and was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church. The oldest of his sons was John L. B. Duskin, who was born in Edgefield district, Near Raleigh NC, Sept 30, 1813. He was about 16 years old when his father came to Ga., and long before manhood had commenced his successful career as a farmer. In 1838 he married Miss Mary Hardie of Stewart county. She was the daughter of Theophilus Hardie of Washington county, where she was born in 1820. Mr. Duskin was a soldier in the Indian war of 1835-36, and was a man of great influence in the community in which he lived. Like his father and mother and in fact all the Duskin family, he belonged to the Methodist church. He died on his farm, where he had first settled, at the age of 67. His wife and the mother of the subject of this sketch, survive him and resides with her children, seven of whom are living; M. T. , the subject of this sketch; Sarah Elizabeth Parker; Mary L. Boyett, living near Lumpkin Stewart County.; Josie K. Kenyon of Webster county; M. L. living near Lumpkin; Martha e. Thornton, near Columbus, Ga.: John Emory living in Montgomery, Al., Those deceased are W. J. died in the CSA 1864, and Mrs. Argent K. Griffs. Mr. M. T. Duskin lived in Stewart county until 1885, and there received his early education. He now lives on the Lumpkin and Eufaula road near Georgetown, Quitman Co. He was 22 years old when the WBTS began, and enlisted at the first call, in Company K, Second Georgia regiment, under command of Capt. J. I. Ball. His first active service was in the seven days fight around Richmond, thence to Malvern Hill. He was in the North VA. Campaign, and was wounded in the right leg at the second battle of Manassas. He was confined in the hospital and at home for 10 months, but as soon as able, rejoined his command, and was in the battle of Chickamauga, where he received his second wound. He was in Longstreetís corps through the east Tennessee campaign, and was in the battles of the Wilderness and then in the campaign around Richmond. AT the time of the surrender he was home on furlough. Mr. Duskin was married in 1865 to Mrs. Mariah J. Keith, the daughter of Williamson Perkins, a Native of Talbot County, in which she was born in 1841. Mr. and Mrs. Duskin have one child living: Lena T.; three daughters, Eula F., Ola B., and Mary Eliza, having died in childhood. Miss Lena, now at home with her parents, is a charming young lady with a talent for music that has been highly cultivated by a through training and instruction at the hands of eminent artists. She was educated in the public schools, by private tutors, and at Andrew Female college of Cuthbert, Ga. The family are members of the Methodist church and Mr. Duskin is steward of the Rocky Mount congregation, and superintendent of the Sunday school. He is a liberal supporter of the church and a strong advocate of through education. Mr. Duskin is a through, progressive business man and his enterprise is felt by the whole section in which he lives. Beginning a poor boy, he has fought his way to a position in life where he can stop and look back with satisfaction at a most honorable and successful career, achieved by his own individual efforts. In politice he is a democrat.
J. E. Harris state senator of the 12h dist, Oak Grove, Quitman county, was born in Stewart county in 1839, and is the son of Thomas R. Harris and Caroline Brown. Thomas R. Harris was born in Virginia moved with his parents when a boy to Oglethorpe county, Ga. and lived there until his marriage in Clarke county, about 1833, when he moved to Stewart county. He had two brothers, James who settled in Walton County Ga., where he died and Lewis who moved to Texas. Thomas R. continued to reside in Stewart county engaged in farming until his death in 1872, at the age of 62. He was no politician, though he always voted the Whig ticket. He was a faithful member of the Baptist church and was quite, unassuming Christian gentlemen respected by all. His wife survived him, dying Oct. 3, 1892, aged 75 years. She too was a devoted member of the church. They had four children: Mrs. Florence Lewis of Thomaston, Upson Co., Ga. and Lewis of Texas. Mr. J. E. Harris was reared principally in Stewart county and attended the public schools there until he went to Mercer university. He was in the senior class when the war broke out, and with fellow students enlisted at once, joining Company E. 31st regiment, Georgia Vol., Capt. L. R. Redding commanding. His first service was as Savannah, where his company was attached to the 31st regiment under Col. Phillips, Lt. Col., Crowder, Maj. Clem. Evens. The first engagement of any note was the seven days fight at Richmond. The next was the battle at Cedar Mountain, followed by Sharpsburg, then Fredericksburg. He was then detailed to the quartermaster's department, serving until the close of the war. He then returned home to Stewart county, and in 1865 married Miss Mary Roxanna Turner, born in Troup county. She was a daughter of Rev. Jos. T. Turner, a Methodist minister, and was educated at the Masonic Female college in Lumpkin. To Mr. and Mrs. Harris were born 6 children: Everard L., is a graduate of Atlanta Medical college and is a practicing physician in Clay county; Neta Olivia; Thomas Richard; Joseph Aubrey; Carie Cottie and Willie all at home. Mr. Harris is a stanch democrat, and one of the manipulators of state politics. He has been a member of the board of education for 6 years, and also county commissioner for several years. He was county surveyor a number of terms, and in 1890 was elected to the general assembly, and in 1894 was chosen state senator from the 12tgh senatorial dist. Mr. Harris is a member of the Baptist Church, but his family are adherents of the Methodist faith. About a year after his marriage Mr. Harris moved from Stewart to Quitman county where he has since been engaged in farming.
Jasper N. Hill, planter, Hatchers station Quitman Co., was born in Warren county Ga., Sept 9, 1823. He was the son of William C. Hill and Mary Dykes Hill, the father being native to Richmond, Va., of Irish descent, and the mother a native Georgian. William C. hill was born in 1781 and lived in Virginia until abou8t grown to manhood, working in the capacity of clerk in Richmond. From tehre he came to Warren county Ga. He married and settled in that county where he continued to reside until Feb. , 1823 when he moved tgo Randolph county, now Quitman county and took up his abode about 400 yards from the present home of the subject of this sketch. He owned quite a large tract of land, possessing seven lots in Quitman county and seven lots near Cuthbert. He built himself a house in the woods and so sparse was the settlement of the country at that time there was only one house between his place and Lumpkin. There were then a number of Creek Indians in the country, but this hardy pioneer faltered not but fearlessly set to work clearing ground and opening up a way for other settlers. He established a mill within five miles of where Cutberth is now situated. He farmed, milled and operated a saw and grist mill and did blacksmithing. In the Indian war of 1836 he took a prominent part, and was in Roanoke on the Sunday the Indians burned it. William C. Hill and wife were strict Primitive Baptists and he a Whig in politics. The father died Jan, 1845, and the mother October 1836. At the death of the mother there were 13 living children. They were: Asaph A., at one time judge of Stewart county; Willoughby D., who was a merchant in Roanoke; Pheope Ann wife of William Brooks of Warren county; William C.; Mary C., wife of John Mainord of Cutbert, Ga.; Allen W. , a prominent man of Stewart county at one time, dying near Galveston, Tx., in 1862; Eliza Webb, wife of John Mangham of Talbot County, Al.; Albert Madison; Jasper N., the subject of this sketch; Sarah C., wife of Ahas Grady; George T. B.; Julia, wife of Elihu Calloway; Hulda wife of James Redding. All these children lived to be over 21, but the only one surviving is Mr. Jasper N. Hill, the subject of this sketch. He was only nine years old when his father settled in the wilds of Randolph county, now Quitman, and he enjoys the distinction of being the oldest settler in this section of the state, having lived her for 63 years. Though at an advanced age, Mr. Hill has a keen memory, and his recollections of his boyhood days and the early history of the country in which he has lived nearly three quarters of a century is fresh and fervid. During the troublesome times of 1836, when he was a lad of 13 years, took place the most thrilling experience of his younger days. It was a rapid ride with his family to escape the clutches of the murderous Creek Indians. Word reached the family of the approach of the savages while at dinner. They left the table, home and everything, and mounting horses hurried away to Houston County. They remained in Houston county until July 4, when they returned home. He lived with his parents until their death, and has since continued to reside upon the original home place. He was married May 25, 1854, to Miss Eliza N Pittman, daughter of Jesse Pittman who was born within 3 miles of where she now lives. During the late war Mr. Hill served in the Home Guards, being present when Atlanta was taken. Mr. and Mrs. Hill are the parents of 11 children, all living except one, who died in childhood. They are: William A., married and living near Georgetown, and present school commissioner of the county; Fannie, wife of J. J. Castillow; Jessie L., teaching school at union; James P., living with parents; Jasper N. and Robert L. living at Providence, La.: Mattie E., wife of Walter Crumbley; Alexander S. Providence, La.; Charles C., teaching in Calhoun county; Julia May, at home. Mrs. Hill and most of the family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Hill has devoted his life and time to duties on the farm, and is one of the largest farmers of the county. He lives nine miles east of Georgetown, in a handsome residence he built on the plan of convenience, just after the war.
James Franklin Hogan, plantar, Sanford, Quitman County, was born in Wilkinson co., Ga., in 1835. He was one of a family of eight children, and left an orphan in childhood. He was cared for by his grandmother until 12 years old, when she died. Thrown on his own resources at an early age he had little time to even accept the few chances of education offered, but with an iron will and untiring industry he was later able to educate himself and prepare for the success he has achieved in life. In 1856 he married Miss Martha Ann Ridley, daughter of Everett Ridley. Mr. Ridley, who was one of the triplets, was one of the earliest settlers settlers of Wilkinson county and was the son of Robert Ridley, who came to Georgia from Virginia. The latter lived to be quite an old man. In 1859 Mr. Hogan moved to Dale county, Al. settling near Barnes Cross Roads, where he engaged in farming until the war broke out. Dec. 12, 1861, he enlisted in Capt. A. H. Johnsonís company, First Al. Calv., Co. F, with which he served fifteen months, when he transferred to Robinsonís battery, Light artillery, which afterward became the famous Wigginsí battery. He remained in this command the rest of the war, and at the time of his discharge he belonged to Doberalís division. At Greenville, NC this division was chosen as Jefferson Davisí guard and they followed the old leader to Wilkes county, Ga., where they were disbanded May 15, 1865. There were few men on either side in the late war who saw more active service and hard fighting than Mr. Hogan. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, at the siege of Savannah near the end of the war. After the war Mr. Hogan took his family to Quitman county and purchased 600 acres of land, partially improved, where he now lives. He has resided there since and has added to his original purchase until he now owns 1900 acres a large portion of which is under a high state of cultivation. His present residence, one of the finest in this section of the state, was completed in 1894. The home of Mr. Hogan has been blessed by the birth of 10 children, six of whom are living: Everett C., married and residing near byí Letitia E., wife of J. T. Tye, living on an adjoining farm, and R. G. William G., A. C. and Margaret M., living at home. Those deceased are: John F., died in 1883, single; Joel D., died in 1894, leaving a family: Walter W., died in 1887, aged 19, and Martha A., died in 1894, aged 17 years. Mr. Hogan has always shown a deep interest in the cause of education, being for a number of years a member of the board of education, and has taken much pains in the education of his children. He and his entire family are members of the Liberty Baptist church, of which Mr. Hogan is a deacon. He is founder of the church near Sanford and has bee its main support. He is also superintendent of Sunday school. He is a strong democrat, though he takes no very active part in politics. At present he is a member of the board of commissioners of roads and revenues. Mr. Hoganís estate lies near the old locality known as Brubleton. This place was the old court ground originally in Stewart County, where Justice court was held, and received its name from the fact that the people would assemble there and drink whiskey sweetened with molasses, which caused the bumblebees to swarm around. The whiskey was purchased of Clem Climons, who established a grocery at this place. He was succeeded by Louis Lee, who established Bladen Creek post office now extinct.
John R. Ellis, postmaster and Justice of the peace, Oak Grove Quitman Co., Ga., was born in 1847 in Randolph county, in that part which is now Quitman county. He was educated in the common schools an din 1864 enlisted in the army, joining Company E. Georgia reserves, Osborneís battalion of cavalry. He was in active service in the skirmishes around Atlanta, Jonesbora and Griswoldwville,. After the war he returned to the home place and picked up his school books again. In 1868 he was married to Miss Mollie Lewis, a Native of Stewart County. They have no children, but hav adopted a son Joseph Hillman. Mr. Ellis is a democrat and has served as tax receiver for 4 years, county commissioner four years, and is at the present clerk of the common pleas court. When Oak Grove post office was established he was made postmaster, and there has been no change. He has been justice of the peace fourteen years and was also commissioned a US commissioner. Oak Grove, near where the Ellis family live, was established as a post office in 1886, and derived its name from the fact there were so many big oak trees around. It is in the North Carolina district, so named on account of several families from the state who located her early in 1830. In Oak Grove is located the Union Methodist church, built in 1867-68, the congregation having been organized in 1838, and the first church erected in 1850. The Ellis family has always been closely identified with this church since its organization, and father, child an grand child have worshiped under its roof. Mr. Ellis has been steward of the church for many years.
Thomas J. Ellis, farmer and miller, Oak Grove, Quitman Co., Ga., was born in Houston county, Ga., in 1834. He is of English descent, his great grandfather being James Ellis, a sea captain, who was shipwrecked on the NC coast about the middle of the last century. Our of a large crew on the vessel only Capt. Ellis and a mater were saved, and they only by swimming three miles, landing near Wilmington, NC. He did not return to England, but adopted this country for his home, and marrying Miss Elwell, of NC, reared a family of four children. Of these Evan, the youngest, was married to Miss Locke, a native of NC, and to them were 4 children, George W., the third child, being the father of Thomas J. and J. R. whose sketches here appear. George W. grew to manhood in NC, when he came to Ga., about 1827, a single man, and located in Houston county, where he married Miss Mary McLain in 1828. In 1834 he moved to Randolph county.
Originally Lee now Quitman county and located between Odcheodkee and Pataula creeks, in what is now the NC district. He lived there till his death, May 4, 1757, aged sixty seven years. His wife survived him, dying in 1882, aged 75 years. She was one of the original members of the Union Methodist church, located near the home of her sons. To Mr. Ellis and his wife were born 6 children: Thomas J., now living near the old homestead; J. R., of Oak Grove, and Martha are the living children, and Elizabeth, Evan and Lucy M. are the deceased. Thomas J. Ellis came to Quitman county with is parents at the age of two years and has lived there since. In 1859 he married Rebecca Gay of Quitman county. At the outbreak of the WBTS he joined the 32nd Ga. Inf., Capt Pruden commanding, and saw active service throughout the entire war. He was detailed by the secretary of the war of the CSA as a military conductor, serving in that capacity for a long time. He was discharged April 10, 1865, and returning home, has since engaged in farming and milling. To Mr. and Mrs. Ellis were born the following children: James, George, Thomas, Florence, Claudie, Robert, Glenn and Alva. The mother died in 1870 and Mr. Ellis was once again married his second wife being Ada Lewis, of Randolph county. They have one child Flossie Lee. Mr. Ellis was tax collector of Quitman county for 4 years, treasurer two years, and at the present is one of the county commissioners. He is prominent as a democrat in both local and state politics.
We are proud to be part of The Georgia GenWeb