Transcribed and compiled by Margie Daniels margie at majorinternet dot net


 

Dr. T. H. Andrews

Among the able and skilled physicians of Cuthbert, Randolph Co., Dr. T. H. Andrews holds an honored and enviable position. He was born in 1846, in Gadsden county, Fla., and is the son of Frederick and Eliza (Odom) Andrews. Frederick Andrews was a native of and grew up in Pulaski county, Ga., and there married his wife. Soon after their marriage they moved to Lee county, where they remained about one year, thence to Randolph county, which was their home for several years. There he served as tax collector of the county, and for awhile taught school and engaged in a mercantile business in Cuthbert. In 1844 he moved his family to Florida, where he died in 1846. He was one of the foremost men of his day, and possessed an excellent education for his time; the result of a quick grasping mind, and wide reading and study. His schooling was meager, but he gained great learning through close application to books. He was a devotee to music and possessed remarkable skill in, and knowledge of this art. Of literary tastes, he was a frequent contributor to the early newspapers and periodicals of the state. He was a captain in the Indian war of 1835-36, and was a democrat of potent influence. After her husband's death Mrs. Andrews returned to Randolph county, Ga., where she resided until her demise at the age of seventy-four years. She was a woman of great intellectuality, and a happy disposition that accorded with her husband's character, and their domestic life was a beautiful example of love and devotion. Her father was James Odom, of Pulaski county, Ga. The Odoms were early settlers of Pulaski county, and her grandfather, James Odom, was a revolutionary soldier, who lived to the age of one hundred and ten years. The family was wealthy and eminent in political and social standing. Six of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. Andrews lived to maturity, and of these five are now living; James F. of Early county; D.C. of Randolph county; W. P. of Early county; Mrs. Susan Morgan, of Early county, and Dr. T. H., the subject of this sketch. Warren Andrews, another son, was a member of the Fifty-fourth Georgia regiment, and as a brigade drummer was captured at the battle of the Wilderness and died of smallpox at Rock Island soon after. Dr. T. H. Andrews began the study of medicine in 1869 in the office of Dr. Rodgers, of Columbus, Ga. He attended lectures and was graduated from the university of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, March 12, 1875. His first year of practice was in Decatur county, then he moved to Randolph county, where he has since followed his profession. He located in the winter of 1876-77 on the farm he now owns. He possessed no more than his profession, but with a brave will and great energy he has succeeded so well in life that he can now look out over an estate of 2,500 acres of land, 400 of which is in a high state of cultivation, a large residence and fine out-buildings. Dr. Andrews was married April 27, 1876, to Addie B. Jordan, of Putnam county, a daughter of Wiley B. Jordan of that county. They have had ten children born to them, as follows: Eliza, Sallie B., Susan, Hull, Patti Lee, Birdie Lee, Percifer, Ida, Agnew and a babe. Dr. and Mrs. Andrews are members of the Missionary Baptist church. As a physician and planter he occupied a leading place among citizens of Randolph county, and professionally and socially his standing is first-class.

 

W. S. Arrington

W. S. Arrington, planter, of Randolph county, is a native of Georgia, and was born in Baldwin county in 1844. His grandfather was Frederick Arrington, of English ancestors, who lived and died in North Carolina. His demise was at an early age, and he left a widow and two children: Hardy and Laronia. Hardy Arrington, when sixteen years old, moved to Washington county, Ga., where he married Mary Smith, a native of that county. Soon afterward they changed to Baldwin county, then to Lee county, where they resided two years, thence to Randolph, and there they settled in the fourth district, where a year later (1845) Mr. Arrington died, in his thirty-third year. The widow was married again to Solomon Owens, who is yet living. By the first marriage she was the mother of James Arrington, who went west before the war and died in service; Lorinia, wife of Hardy Hay, living in Texas; Georgiana, wife of Thomas Newton, now deceased; Laronia, who died single, and Mr. W.S. Arrington, the subject of this sketch. By her marriage with Mr. Owen were born: Jessie Owens, and Mary, wife of Richard Stewart, living, and John, deceased. Mrs. Owens remained at the old homestead until her death in 1887, aged seventy years. She was a devoted a devoted wife, a kind mother and a sincere Christian. The subject of this sketch was but a small boy when his parents came to Randolph county, and there he grew to his majority. He farmed the two years immediately proceeding the war, and when the ------ of civil strife was sounded he left the furrow to enlist with the army of the south. March 12, 1862, he joined the famed Company H, Fifty-first Georgia volunteers, under Capt. Balls, and served until wounded in the Shenandoah Valley campaign, at Cedar creek, September, 1864. His company was in Longstreet's corps, Lee's army of North Virginia, and was in the thickest of the fighting, at the second battle of Manassas, at South Mountain, Md., Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, the Wilderness and Gettysburg. Then he was back to Funkstown, Md., Cold Harbor and Petersburg. The corps went to Knoxville, Tenn, then back to Lee's army. At the battle of Cedar Creek, when Mr. J.T. Bailey, member of Company H, and from Randolph county, was wounded while carrying the colors, it was Mr. Arrington who took them from his hands. A few minutes later he, in turn, was shot through the side and forced to give up the flag to a comrade. He was taken prisoner on the field of battle and sent to a hospital in Baltimore, and upon his recovery was released and sent home, in March, 1865. Mr. Arrington was married to Martha Lee, a native of Sumter county, and daughter of Jefferson Lee. The father died in Sumter county, leaving three daughters and one son. The latter was Thomas Lee, who was killed during the war. The daughters were: Caroline, wife of John Belcher, now living in Florida; Martha and Sylvania, now deceased, who was married to a Mr. Raegen. Mrs. Jefferson Lee died about 1879. Mrs. Arrington, as a girl, attended the schools of Sumter county and at Americus, and when her mother moved to Randolph county entered the schools of that county and finished her education. Mr. and Mrs. Arrington have had born to them two children: Alice, wife of A. E. Mazell, and Ionaci. The latter attended school at La Grange and spent three years at Eufaula, Ala., under the instruction of Miss Simmons. She is accomplished in the science of music and is now in the Shellman high school. The family are members of the Baptist church. After the war Mr. Arrington devoted himself to farming. He was interested in a merchandise business at Shellman for about eight years, the same being looked after by his son-in-law, Mr. Mazell. Mr. Arrington owns several fine farms in Randolph county and has 1,000 acres of land under cultivation. He is familiarly known to his friends as "General", a title given him in the army by his companions, who believed that his bravery was of a caliber commensurate with the appellation.

 

 

J. T. Bailey

J. T. Bailey planter, Springvale, Randolph Co., Ga., was born in the county in which he now resides, in 1839. His father was Zachariah Bailey, a native of Virginia, born near Lynchburg in 1793. He came to Georgia when grown and settled in Morgan county, where he married Bertha Grier. She was born in 1804 and was the daughter of James Grier. (His father was born in Ireland.) They resided in Morgan county until about 1831, when they moved to Randolph county and lived for a time near Cuthbert, where he engaged in farming. He then moved to the place where his son, the subject of this sketch, now lives. There he purchased a tract of woodland and built a log house, where he lived a year removing to a site on the opposite side, where he built a home, in which he died in 1845. He was a soldier in the Indian war of 1835-36, and was active politician, being a Whig. He served as sheriff and held other positions in his county. The wife, who was an excellent woman and a grand helpmate to her husband, died in 1864. She was a Christian lady and a strict member of the Methodist church. To this union were born six children: Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, who lives in Clayton, Ala.; Mrs. Mary Key, deceased; Mrs. Sarah Harris; J. T., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Mildred Sharp, of Dawson, Ga., and Zacharias, of Robinson county, Texas. Mr. J. T. Bailey was brought up on the farm where he now lives, and at the outbreak of the war he enlisted in Company H, Fifty-first Georgia regiment, volunteers, army of Virginia. He was in Longstreet's corps of Lee's army, and was in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellors Ville, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Knoxville, in 1863, and in 1864 was in the battles of the Wilderness and in all the engagements of his corps from Spotsylvania on to Petersburg and to Cedar Creek. At the last place he had his left arm shattered with a minie ball, and upon his recovery was discharged from the service. He returned home, where he has since been engaged in farming. He went out as a private, and was promoted to ensign (color-bearer), with the rank of first lieutenant. Mr. Bailey was married, in 1872, to Mary Jenkins, of Quitman county, a daughter of Leroy Jenkins, a native of Georgia and an early settler of Randolph county. Mrs. Bailey was born and raised in Randolph county. They have seven children, all at home: Mary, J. T., Annie, Charles, Sarah, Lillie, and Maud. Mrs. Bailey is an active member of the Methodist church. Mr. Bailey is a Democrat in politics, and takes quite an interest in county affairs. Mr. Bailey and family reside in a pleasant home about eight miles from Cuthbert. He is a practical and substantial farmer and is well informed on all practical subjects. He is an industrious and thrifty man and a good manager, and is very highly esteemed by all who know him, for his uprightness and purity of character.

 

Dr. W. W. Binion
Planter and physician, Benevolence, was born in Webster county in 1860, and is the son of Rev. M. B. L. and S.T. (Lasseter) Binion, natives of Hancock and Webster counties respectively. Rev. Binion was born in 1836, in Terrell county, and his wife died in August 1881, aged thirty-five years. Rev. Binion entered the ministry of the Missionary Baptist church in early life, and has occupied the pulpits in southwestern Georgia for nearly forty years. He is a graduate of the Mercer university and a man of fine scholarly attainments. He is still actively engaged in the ministry, and his charge includes the churches of Benevolence, Bronwood, New Bethel, and Chickasaws. Rev. Binion has served the Bronwood church for over twenty years. He is a popular minister and man, and one of the ablest preachers in the state. He lives on a big farm near Parrot. To Rev. Binion and wife were born ten children: Dr. W.W., B.L., of Hancock county; Minnie L., Hancock county; Mrs. Anna May Gonn, of Cuthbert; Mrs. Nettie J. Keese, of Benevolence; S., of Terrell county; Robert B., of Hancock county, and three deceased. Rev. Binion was married, the second time, to Miss Susan Massie, of Marshall, Ga. Dr. Binion was brought up on the farm and educated in the schools of Webster county. In 1882 he commenced reading medicine under Dr. A.K. Patterson, of Weston, Webster county. He attended lectures at Atlanta, from which place he was graduated in 1885, and began practice in the neighborhood in which he now lives. He has been remarkably successful from a professional as well as a financial standpoint, and enjoys a reputation ranking him in the front of the medical profession. In addition to a large practice, he has farming interests, all of which is the result of his ten years labor in Benevolence. The doctor was married in January, 1886 to Ida L. Harris, of Marion county, daughter of a prominent planter, now deceased. Mrs. Binion was educated in the high schools of Marion county and at Weston. She died in 1890, aged twenty-two years, leaving one child, Clay. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Dr. Binion belongs to the Baptist church, and in politics is a democrat.

 

William C. Bynum
One of the most popular men connected with politics in Randolph county is William C. Bynum, sheriff. He is what is known as a born politician, that is, he has the happy faculty of always making and never losing friends. He is now serving his fourth term as occupant of one of the best offices in the county's gift, with a favorable outlook for a still further hold on it. William C. Bynum was born and reared in Randolph county and is the son of Reuben and Emma (Collins) Bynum. He was educated in the public schools, and at the age of twenty entered into business for himself at Shellman. He was first elected sheriff of Randolph county in 1889, and three times since then have the people voted him the man for the place. Outside of his official duties he has large farming interests and conducts a very big livery stable in Shellman. Mr. Bynum was married to Fanny Kleckley, a daughter of Joseph Kleckley of Macon county, Feb. 25, 1876. The have one child J. Carlton. Mr. Bynum is a Mason and belongs to the Knights of Pythias fraternity. He is a splendidly equipped business man and a citizen who is a credit to the county.

 

Thomas Dean
The Dean family hold an honored place in Georgia's history, and in peace or war the name is always to be found. Thomas Dean was a native of Virginia and settled in North Carolina near Raleigh, where he raised a family. He was with the colonies in the struggle for independence, and served them by speech and sword. About 1820, when well up in years, he followed a brother, John, who were previously settled in Talbot county, Ga., and moving to this state located in Jasper county. He had the following children: Wiley, Henry, John, William, Jane, who married Warren Ambers; Nancy, married to William Alexander; Candis, wife of James Alexander; Mrs. Sarah Williamson; Mrs. Elizabeth Kendrick. All these had families and settled in Georgia but William, who migrated to Texas. Henry, the second sone, born near Raleigh, N.C., in 1802, came with his parents to this state. When about reaching manhood, he left home and took up life in Harris county. Here he married Melinda Richardson, a native of Jasper county, Ga. and a daughter of Robert Richardson, an old settler and farmer of that county. He served in the Indian wars, and for years was an influential citizen and big farmer of Harris county. He began life without capital or help, and through his own industry and habits accumulated much property. At the breaking out of the war he owned 100 slaves. He died in 1886, leaving a large estate in Harris county. Before the war he was an active whig, and afterward a democrat. Mrs. Henry Dean died, aged forty-five years. To them were born ten children, five of whom are living, as follows: T.E., living near Shellman; Mrs. Valonia Hewell, of Chattahoochee county; Robert P., of Talbotton, Talbot county; Mrs. Lizzie Miller, of Harris county; and O.Z. Dean. Mr. O.Z. Dean the subject of this sketch, was the youngest child, and born in Harris county in 1850, where he attended the public schools. In 1868 his father purchased a large tract of land around Shellman and the son was sent there to look after it. In 1872 he came to Randolph county to live permanently, and took up his home on a fine tract of 600 acres. This land is almost entirely level, well cultivated and equal to any in this section of the state. Mr. Dean married Tallulah C. Phelps of Randolph county, but a native of Calhoun county. She is the daughter of Z.E. Phelps, a native of the Carolinas. They have six children: Birdie, wife of J.A. Martin, a merchant of Shellman; Estelle, Henry, Phelps, Pearl, and O.Z., all at home. Mr. and Mrs. Dean are conscientious members of the Baptist church and he is a democrat. They live in a fine home in Shellman and he is one of the prominent citizens of the town.

 

GEORGE W. DOZIER
Mayor of Coleman, and a leading farmer of Randolph county, was born in Sumter county in 1838, and descends from a family well known throughout the state of Georgia. James and Nancy (Moore) Dozier were among the early settlers of Sumter county, coming from North Carolina, of which state they were natives. They located northwest of Americus and lived there until their death. James Dozier was a soldier in the war of 1812, and the wars with the Indians in Florida and Georgia in 1835-36. He was a well-to-do farmer, a democrat in politics, and a warm personal friend of Andrew Jackson. He died in the sixties, at the age of seventy-seven, his wife having died a few years before him. They were respected members of the Primitive Baptist church. To them were born the following named children, all of who lived to maturity: Edmond, died at the age of sixty years, in Georgia; Nancy, wife of James M.N. Lowe, died aged sixty-one years, at the home of Mr. Geo. W. Dozier; L.R., who settled in Clay county late in life, and there died; and John B. John B., the third child, was born and attained his majority in Sumter county. His wife was Jane Ogletree, a native of Georgia. They had two children, who, upon the parentsc death in 1847, went to live with an uncle, L.R. Dozier. The children were James I. and George W., the last-named the subject of this sketch. In 1853 they moved to Clay county, and both attended school there. James L., the elder, finally located in Dougherty county, while G.W. lived in both Clay and Dougherty until 1870, when he settled on the Bramlett place in Randolph county, where he resided until 1889, when he moved to Coleman, in order to educate his children. Mr. Dozier married Mary Jane Jones, the daughter of Willis Jones of Lee county. She was born in Louisiana on Bayou Bartholomew, and was but a child when her parents moved to Lee county. She was educated at Dover, Terrell county. To Mr. and Mrs. Dozier have been born seven children, as follows: James F., a graduate of the Agricultural college at Cuthbert; William Mercer, George W., Jr., Mary Eveline, Mabel Clarence, Raburn R., and Willis C., deceased. Mr. Dozier has taken pleasure in giving his children the benefit of good schools and possesses justifiable pride in their educational accomplishments. Mr. Dozier was a brave soldier in the ranks of the gray, and no private who entered either army has a better record. He enlisted in 1861 in Company H, Fifty-first Georgia volunteers, and served until the surrender. He was in the second battle of Manassas, at Chancellorsville, and connecting engagements, and the great battle of Gettysburg, at Frenchtown, Knoxville, Tenn., the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg. On April 6, 1865, he was taken prisoner at Farmville, Va. and was held until July 26 at Point Lookout, Md. Mr. Dozier for two years was color-bearer of his regiment, with the rank of first lieutenant, and his was history is replete with narrow escapes and thrilling experiences. Since the war he has devoted himself to farming, and for awhile was engaged in merchandising at Coleman. He owns a fine farm ten miles south of Cuthbert, besides good residence and store property in Coleman. He is a democrat and a Mason, high in the honors of that fraternity. The family are all members of the Missionary Baptist church, and are highly esteemed by all who enjoy their acquaintance.

 

DR. W.S. DUDLEY
County school commissioner and retired physician of Cuthbert, Ga. was born in St. Matthew's parish, S.C., and is a great-grandson of John Adam Treutlen, the first elected governor of Georgia, and a hero in the great struggle for independence. John Adam Treutlen was first appointed governor and afterward elected by the people, serving until Jan. 8, 1778. He was a man of great personal courage and splendid executive ability. He and a brother, Capt. Frederick Treuitlen, came to America together in the early settlement of the colony. Their father started with them, but died and was buried at sea. The Treutlens cam from England to Georgia and located at a point on the river above Savannah, in the neighborhood of a place known as Sister's ferry. Unable to find a church of his denomination, Mr. Treutlen, soon after coming here, united with the German Lutheran church at Ebenezer. His death was most deplorable, he being assassinated by the British and their sympathizers, and his body draw and quartered in the presence of his family. This tragic event followed a systematic persecution he had been subjected to on account of his loyalty to the cause of the patriots. Capt. Frederick Treutlen and wife are buried at St. Simon's island, and have many descendants. Gov. Treutlen had several children, John, Christian, and a daughter, Mary. The latter married Edward Dudley, who was a native of England, and a man of wealth and scholarly accomplishments. He was assassinated in St. Matthew's parish, S.C. just after the revolutionary war, during the period of lawlessness which then prevailed. The wife lived to an old age and did in St. Matthews. They had born to them the following children: William John, who died without issue; Guilford, who married Miss Gilliland, of Savannah; Mary, wife of A. Amaker; Dorothea; and Edward. The last mentioned died at the early age of twenty-three years, leaving two sons: Walter Stafford and Rinaldo Pearce. The mother of these children was Elizabeth Kennedy, of Scotch-Irish descent. She was born in Effingham county, Ga., and there reared and educated. She was married the second time to John G. Morel, by whom she had a large family of children, eight of who lived to be grown. She died in 1857, at a ripe old age. Walter Stafford Dudley, at ten years of age, was sent to live with his guardian, Adam Amaker, in South Carolina, while his mother returned to her parents in Georgia. He attended the public schools, then went to a literary school at Cokesbury, S.C., and next to Citadel academy, the military school of South Carolina. This thorough training of mind and body well prepared him for the active and useful life he has since followed. He studied medicine and was graduated from the Charleston Medical college in 1854. He began his professional practice in Orangeburgh, S.C. and continued it for five years, when ill health obliged him to remove to his plantation in the country. During the civil war he raised several companies for service, and a number of times went to Charleston to enter the service. After the war he engaged in teaching, and in 1867 he moved to Cuthbert. In 1880 he accepted the presidency of the Middle Georgia Agricultural and Military college at Milledgeville, which position he occupied until 1884, when he went to Jackson, Miss., were he taught for a short time in a female college. He lived in Tennessee and Florida for a while, and then returned to Cuthbert, where he holds the position of county school commissioner, and is engaged in the insurance business. Dr. Dudley was married to Miss Elliott, a native of South Carolina, by whom he had three daughters: Mrs. Mary Bailey, of Florida; Mrs. Annie Taylor, of South Carolina, and Mrs. Emma Thomas, of Tampa, Fla. His first wife died in 1868. Dr. Dudley's second wife was Sarah Miller, of Charleston, S.C. He was the third time wedded to Miss Mary Wilson, of Tallahassee, Fla., and to them have been born two children: David, and Catharine Treutlen. The family are communicants of the Presbyterian church. Dr. Dudley is one of the most widely known educators in the state, and his superior mental acquirements have given him a position in the front rank of his profession.

 

H.B. ELDER

 

Planter, of Randolph county, is a son of William N. and Catharine (Jackson) Elder, and was born Feb. 9, 1822. His father was a native of Virginia, and his mother was from South Carolina, and both lived to a good old age. Mr. Elder was brought up on the farm and picked up his education in odd hours he found chance to spend in the old log school house. When the war broke out he was conducting a tannery in Monroe county, and the Confederate government needing tanners as well as soldiers, he was exempted from service. He ran the tannery and a general merchandise store during the whole of the war and for years afterward. He has for a number of years operated a large stone quarry on his farm, and the material there produced is in great demand all over the state. Mr. Elder was married to Susan Reading, a daughter of P.D. Reading, and they have had born to them eight children, of whom only three are living: W.C., Emma K., and Herbert P. Mr. Elder is a conscientious member of the Methodist church and a stanch democrat in politics. He owns a fine farm, to which he gives his attention, and where he lives in happy retirement from an active, busy life, amidst his family and grandchildren.

 

WILLIAM D. HAMMOCK

 

For many years identified with the Baptist church as a minister of the gospel and its teachings, Rev. William D. Hammock, is one of the prominent citizens of Randolph county. His father, William Hammock, was from Twiggs county, Ga., and was the son of Paschal Hammock, who descended from one of two brothers, who came from Ireland and settled in Georgia, probably in Savannah. Paschal followed farming and lived to be eighty-four years old, dying in Coleman in 1865, having come to Randolph county just before the war. He was twice married, William Hammock being by the first marriage, and there being two other sons and two daughters. By the second marriage there were three daughters and one son. Paschal Hammock was quite well educated, and at one time was wealthy. He was a democrat in politics and a devoted member of the Baptist church. William Hammock, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in the spring of 1814, and was married to Barbara Woolley, a native of South Carolina, born Aug. 3, 1814. They were wedded in 1833, and in 1835 settled in Randolph county, near what is now known as Cottonhill. In 1836 he had to leave his family to go into the war against the Indians, and as a precaution against danger, they were sent to Twiggs county. In 1837 he returned near Coleman, and purchased a farm, where he continued to live until his death, in 1863. This was caused by exposure, while he was visiting his sons who were in the army and stationed at Cumberland gap. He was a self-made man whose motto was: "Do right, and attend to your own business." He accumulated considerable property, and left a large estate at his death. He was a democrat, but paid little attention to politics, his farming interests and domestic duties occupying his time. He was a genius in some things, and while never learned as a carpenter, he was able to build with his own hands a big part of the old farm-place house, which is now occupied by Rev. Mr. Hammock. His wife died Feb. 2, 1894. Familiarly known to the present generation as "Aunt Hammock", her demise was the cause of much genuine regret. She was a devout member of the church, and the mother of nine children: Mrs. C. E. Garrett, Bluffton, Ga. James Paschal, who died in 1862 at Knoxville, Tenn; Zilpha E., the wife of S.E. Davis, a Primitive Baptist minister, of Early county, Ga. William D., the subject of this sketch; John G., of Worth county, Ga. Mrs. Anna Singleton, of Bluffton, Ga. Daniel W. of the firm of Hammock & Rish, Coleman, Ga. Mrs. Riley F. Moore, of Randolph county; Joseph J.; James, who died at Knoxville, in the war, and left a wife and one child--Lula. The latter died at an early age, and the mother now lives in Montezuma, Ga. The father belonged to Company G. Fifty-fifth Georgia regiment. Rev. William D. Hammock was born on the old home place, within a mile of where he now lives, April 13, 1842. He was educated in the local schools, and in April, 1862, responded to the call of the south for troops to repel invaders, and enlisted in Company G, which was later assigned to the Fifty-fifth Georgia regiment. They did service in Tennessee and Kentucky till the capture of the company at Cumberland gap. Rev. Hammock was in Knoxville, Tenn., sick, when his company was captured. He afterward returned to a place near Chickamauga, and after the battle was sent by Gen. Bragg to report to Co. A. W. Pierson, at Atlanta. In February, 1864 he went to Andersonville and was connect ed with Capt. Wirtz, of the prison, till April 7, 1865. After the war he stayed at home with his mother, and on Nov. 10, 1870, he married Victoria J. Lanier, a native of Early county, and a daughter of John Lanier, planter, of Early county. Her father died when she was a babe, and her mother and children moved to a place adjoining Mrs. Hammock's, where she grew to womanhood. She died Feb. 4, 1887, a good Christian mother and a helpful, loving wife. The issue of this union was one child, Eva, now the wife of W. H. Jenkins, of Coleman. She has one son--William. In August, 1888, Rev. Hammock was married again, to Julia Jenkins, daughter of John H. Jenkins, of Clay county. Mr. Jenkins now lives in Coleman. Mrs. Hammock was born and reared in the house in which she was married, and was educated in the schools of Fort Gaines. They have one child, Willie D. Mr. and Mrs. Hammock belong to the Baptist church, of which Mr. Hammock is an elder. He was ordained June, 1886, to preach the gospel, and has since been actively engaged in the pulpit most of his time. His charge is at present the Mount Zion, Gilliard and Mount Vernon churches of Clay county, and the Friendship church of Randolph county. He has been a member of the Baptist church since he was sixteen years old. Rev. Hammond (k) is a Mason, high in the degrees of the fraternity. He owns a fine farm two miles from Coleman, which he cultivates, and where he lives. In 1865 Mr. Hammock was summoned to Washington, D.C., in connection with the noted case of Capt. Wirtz, the officer in command of Andersonville prison during the war.

 

S.T. JENKINS

 

Now of Denver, Colo., son of W. C. Jenkins and Penelope McLendon, was born at Indian Springs, Ga., June 14, 1838. When two years of age his father died, and his mother moved to Randolph county, Ga., where he was raised a country boy, and graduated at Graystown college, Kentucky, in 1860. He chose teaching as a profession, and in May, 1861, turned over a selected school of forty boys in Cuthbert, Ga. to the Presbyterian minister, and entered the army in the Fifth Georgia regiment. He was afterward an officer in the Forty-seventh Georgia until the last year of the war, when his health failing, he was placed in the secret service of the Confederacy in Florida, where he was engaged until the war closed. In a few days after the war closed he was merchandising in Cuthbert on a capital of less than $10, doing his own cooking (in a sardine box) and working night and day. In three months he had made $1,500, selling no whisky and no drugs. In two years he had an almost unlimited credit, established by buying and selling for cash only, and was worth $20,000. In 1867 he was forced into the credit business, and had plenty of it, but cotton dropped from thirty-seven cents to seven cents per pound, and he was overwhelmed with bankrupt notices. He compromised with his debtors, but refused to do so with his creditors at an offer of fifty cents on the dollar. But instead, he paid all the principal and interest-the latter amounting to more that $10,000-for he was over twenty years in canceling his indebtedness. Seeing that all cotton was destruction, he began the publication of "The Southern Enterprise", in Atlanta, Ga. "Diversified Industries" as his motto, and this was the first paper in the south to publish a regular immigration department. Four years of the best energies of his life were devoted to this work, during which time he was practicing what he preached, on Harvest Home, his celebrated fruit farm near Cuthbert, Ga.; and it is gratifying to his friends that he has lived to see Harvest Home peaches famous throughout the United States, and the palm yielded to his native section for growing the finest peaches in the world. Twelve years ago he moved to Baltimore and engaged in the law and collection business and in the manufacturing ripe fruit carriers, a novel invention of his own, in which ripe peaches can be shipped anywhere without ice, some having been successfully sent to Europe. Three years ago he was compelled to leave the south and make his home in the far northwest, among strangers, in search of health for a dear son. Mr. Jenkins was married to Miss Nannie T. Jackson, of Virginia, in 1866, and they have three children-Claude J., Pearl K., and Robbie. All of his family are members of the Baptist church, and he is a master Mason. Mr. Jenkins fruit farm, Harvest Home, is all the business tie he has to his dear native south.

 

PETER E. KEESE

 

Merchant, Benevolence, Randolph county, was born in this county, and was the son of E.H. and Henrietta (Kingston) Keese. Mr. E. H. Keese, a prominent planter of Randolph county, and honored citizen, was born Nov. 10, 1826, in South Carolina, near the Georgia line. His parents died when he was a small boy, and left him with an uncle, with whom he remained for a short time, when he came to Georgia and found a place in Randolph county, where he went to work for wages, laboring six months and going to school the other six. He also followed the business of a peddler, and sold tinware and domestic goods to the housewife and mother. He married Henrietta Kingston, a maiden of Randolph county, having been born near Benevolence about 1836. After his marriage he purchased 100 acres of land, two and one-half miles north of Benevolence, where he resided till his death, may 21, 1894, except one year, during which he sold his place and purchased one adjoining, upon which he resided a few months, only to buy back the home place. He was an ardent worker in his church-Baptist-and one of its most liberal supporters. He united with the church in 1852 and was a strict member up to the end of his life. As a husband and father he was a noble example. He was affectionate as well as genial, and possessed all those traits of character which go to make a home pleasant and attractive. He was a man who cherished only the kindest feelings toward his fellow-men, whatever their grade, condition or race. To do good was his aim in life. Place, position, power, honor or worldly glory never entered his mind. Only a few knew his true worth, and only his most intimate friends knew what a peerless character was covered by an exterior of unassuming simplicity. He was a beloved Christian gentleman. He took no part in politics, more than to exercise the right of suffrage, but was a stanch democrat. He served in the state militia for a while during the late war. He was quite successful in business, and at the time of his death left quite a large fortune. To Mr. and Mrs. Keese were born eleven children, as follows: Rev. A .E., of Bowman, Ga., president of the Gibson institute; Mrs. Mollie E. Mitchiner, who lives near Dawson; Peter E., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Sarah E. Harris, Benevolence, Ga.; Mrs. Theodosia Graham, of Fort Gaines, Ga.; Mrs. Emma F. Ward, on the old home place; Mrs. Robert Ellen Crozier, living near Benevolence; H. L., Benevolence; W.S., teaching school at Bowman; Miss Alma E., at school at Bowman; Johnnie. Mrs. Keese was a devoted member of the Baptist church, a good Christian and a loving mother. She died in June, 1894, aged fifty-eight years. Mr. Peter E. Keese lived on the home place with his parents until after he reached his majority. His education was obtained in the schools in Benevolence and Fort Gaines. When twenty-four years old he moved to Benevolence and engaged in merchandising, at the same time farming. He has been twice married. His first wife was Susan Wade, daughter of John Wade, of Hancock county. She was born in Randolph county, but when a child her parents moved to Hancock county, where she grew up. She was an excellent woman and a conscientious Christian, and her death, but two months after her marriage, was deeply lamented. His second wife was Irene L. Wiggins, born in Fort Valley, Houston Co., Ga., and the daughter of William A. Wiggins, now deceased. The have one child-Lillian Keese. Mr. and Mrs. Keese are members of the Baptist church. In politics he is a democrat. Mr. Keese is now a partner in the firm of Perryman & Keese, general merchandise, Benevolence. He has a pleasant home in that promising little town, where he stands high as a citizen and business man.

 

J.J. McDONALD

 

The McDonald family, which has achieved much prominence in the annals of Georgia's history, descends from the McDonald who was born on the isle of Skye, Scotland, and coming to America, settled in Fayetteville, N.C. There a son, John, was born and grew to manhood. He married a Miss Shaw, a native of that state, and with his family came to Georgia and located in Screven county, from which he afterward removed to Randolph county. He was among its first settlers, was a farmer, an old-line Whig and a strict member of the Presbyterian church. He died about five years after taking up residence in Randolph county, leaving his wife, who survived him many years. They were blessed with five children: Edward, now deceased; Archie, who settled in Mississippi, where he died; Mrs. Dollie Smith, of Randolph county; Mrs. Abbie Cheshire, now deceased, and Mrs. Catherine Ivy, who lives in Randolph county. Edward McDonald, the eldest of these children, was born in 1812, and died in December, 1878. He came from North Carolina with his parents and commenced life as a clerk for a Mr. Buchanan, one of the first merchants of Cuthbert, and was at times employed by Jesse B. Key and John McKay Gunn. He continued in this capacity till the building of the railroad to Cuthbert, when he opened a cotton warehouse and engaged in buying and selling cotton. He was very successful in his business affairs and acquired much wealth. He was opposed to secession, but when the state withdrew from the Union he was quick to respond to duty in defense of home and property rights. He was very charitable and liberal with his means, and was a friend to nearly every one. He was often called on before the war for help in the way of endorsements of obligations. At the close of the war he found himself impoverished, and just where he had started many years before. With a new will he began business again, and opened his warehouse. He had much to contend with, and was frequently imposed on by friends, by whom he lost much money; still he persevered and regained a goodly portion of his previous accumulations. Mr. McDonald was a notary public for many years, at one time clerk of the superior court of Randolph county, and was also a justice of the inferior court. He was made a member of the Masonic order early in life, and derived much pleasure from the associations he there formed. Like his parents, he was a regular attendant and a member of the Presbyterian church. Previous to the war he was active in behalf of the whig party, but in later years was a firm democrat. Mr. McDonald was a conspicuous figure in business circles in his day, and was a public-spirited citizen, who did much to rebuild his city and county. In private life he was the most companionable of men. He married Eliza Hannah Ross, who was born in Laurens county, Ga., and was the daughter of James L. Ross, a native of North Carolina, but whose progenitors came from Scotland. Some members of the family came to Georgia, and the name became well known throughout the state. Eliza Hannah McDonald was born in 1825, and died aged sixty-six years. She was a woman possessed of the most striking traits of Christian character, and was loved by all who enjoyed the privilege of her acquaintance. She was the mother of nine children: James J., the subject of this sketch; Edward, cashier of the Cuthbert national bank; Mrs. Mollie Baldwin, Mrs. Mattie K. Lumlin, Miss Nettie, George, president of Cuthbert bank; Ross, Floyd, and Lilah, who died in youth. Mr. James J. McDonald, the eldest son-the subject of this sketch-was born Feb. 12, 1845, in Randolph county, where he attended school till the breaking out of the late war, when he enlisted as a private in Company A of the Second Georgia cavalry, serving throughout the struggle. When his colonel, C.C. Crews, was made a brigade commander he acted as aide-de-camp until the war closed. His first battle was Murfreesboro, Tenn.; then Perryville, Ky., and then Murfreesboro again. He was on Gen. Crew's staff when Stoneman was captured in Georgia. When peace was declared Mr. McDonald returned to his home, Cuthbert, and engaged in the drug business, which he conducted until about 1872. Since that time he has turned his attention to farming and banking and dealing in stocks, bonds, lands, etc. He is now one of the largest planters in southern Georgia, owning vast estates in Randolph and Calhoun counties, and is a large shareholder in the bank of Cuthbert. Mr. McDonald is a prosperous business man, and his career, crowned with rare success, has been achieved by fair and honorable methods. He has ever held his honor sacred, and every obligation he assumed was faithfully carried out. He possesses a remarkably clear and well poised judgment, and is seldom in error in any business project he has carefully investigated. Through every moment of his business and private life there has shone a rigid and unflinching integrity, which has never yielded to any stress of circumstances, and was never led by any plausible consideration of policy. He is a free giver to deserving charity, and a friend of the needy. The allurements of political life have no charm for him, and beyond the discharge of the duty every private citizen owes to public affairs, he takes but little part in politics, though a stanch democrat. With the exception of serving in the general assembly from Randolph county in 1877-78, he never held an office. Mr. McDonald was married. May 3, 1866, to Eudora L. daughter of John W. and Sarah B. (Bailey) Harris, of Randolph county. They have had born to them three children: John H., who died aged two years; Eva Gertrude, who died at Wesleyan Female college, at Macon, July 21, 1887, aged seventeen years, and Annie, who married John W. Drewry, and lives in Cuthbert, Ga. The family are members of the Methodist church, and Mr. McDonald, like his father, is an eminent member of the Masonic order. They live in a beautiful home in Cuthbert, surrounded by all the comforts of life.

 

J. H. MANRY

 

Merchant and planter, Bethel, Randolph Co., was born in Early county in 1841, and is the son of William and Ann (Collier) Manry. William Manry was a native of Georgia, born Dec. 17, 1820, and settled near Blakely, Early C., when the county was infested by Indians. He moved his family to Calhoun county in 1849 and located near Randolph county line, not far from the present residence of J.H. Manry. Here he lived until his death in 1886. In early life he was a mechanic, and worked at his trade in connection with farming. Later he gave his entire attention to farming with gratifying success. He was an open, whole-souled man, born to pour sunshine into the world and make others happy. Of a generous nature, liberal to a fault, kind and considerate, he was a friend of everybody. He was a hard worker, but always found time to enjoy the society of his large and happy family, to whom he was impressively devoted. Mrs. Manry was born May 10, 1818, and died Aug. 23, 1865. She and her husband were consistent members of the Missionary Baptist church. To them were born eight children, seven of whom were sons. Of the children five are living: J.H., the subject of this sketch; J.B., a farmer of Calhoun county; William Jr., of Calhoun county; Simon W., Calhoun county; Penelope, of Calhoune county. All the deceased children were sons, and two of them were lost in the battle of Sharpsburg. Benjamin F., eighteen years old, was killed in this battle. He was a member of Company E, Fifty-first Georgia regiment, to which company his brother, John B., also belonged. The latter was known to enter into the conflict and was probably killed and his body buried among the unidentified dead, as nothing as ever been heard from him since. Joseph is the third dead son. Mr Manry was the second time married to Mrs. Martha A. Culbrath, a native of Alabama. They had four children: B. Franklin, Easter, Belle and Sidar, all of whom live in Calhoun county. Mr. J. H. Manry, the eldest son of William Manry, was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools. At eighteen years of age he commenced life for himself as overseer for Benjamin Hodge, of Calhoun county. He had just settled on part of the old home place when the call for volunteers for the war was made. He enlisted in Company E, Fifty-first Georgia regiment, and was placed in Gen. Longstreet's corps. He was in the thickest of the battle of Sharpsburg, and at the Wilderness was disabled by a piece of shell which incapacitated him for duty for a few days. He refused to go to the hospital, however, and was soon back in the ranks. The shell which struck him killed seven of his comrades, including the color-bearer of the regiment. He was in many skirmishes, seeing active service all the time he was out. At Gettysburg he was taken prisoner and confined sixteen months at Point Lookout, Md. and four months at Fort Delaware. While in prison he waited upon one hundred of his sick comrades, and during the scourge of smallpox handled thirty-six cases. Mr. Manry says his stay in prison, compared with the experience of some others, was pleasant, and the greatest exception was when he was handcuffed, two hours of which was for laughing. During his confinement he helped provide for the comforts of his sick comrades by making finger rings of bone, which he found sale for at one dollar each. He was finally sent home on a parole for forty days, and when he started back the army had surrendered, so he returned to his parents home and resumed farming. Mr. Manry was married in 1862 to Easter O. Saxon, a native of Randolph county. She was born Jan. 3, 1843, and was a daughter of Richmond and Jane (Martin) Saxon, early settlers of Randolph county, where she was reared and educated. They have had fourteen children, those living being John B., Albany, Ga.; Mrs. Nannie Bynum, living near Shelman, Randolph Co.; Mrs. Mary Webb, of Calhoun county; Mrs. Dosea Wiggins, Calhoun county; Miss Sarah, at home; Mrs. Etta Grubbs, living on the old home place with her parents; Richmond A.; Miss Lula; J. H., Jr.; Miss Lydia and Bessie. Those deceased are Mrs. Ida Taylor, Minnie and a baby boy. Mr. Manry settled in Randolph county in 1868, near where he now lives, at New Bethel. He conducts a general merchandising establishment there, and in connection with his farm has a gin and mill. He owns about 1,800 acres of land, 1,100 of which are improved, all the result of his own energy and industrious habits. When he returned from the war he had nothing to commence life with except his will. Mr. Manry, wife and family are members of the Baptist church, of which he is one of the deacons. He has belonged to this church since he was fifteen years of age. In politics he is a democrat, and while he has never aspired to office he takes a very active interest in the welfare of his party. He is broad-minded and liberal and of sympathetic and generous disposition, characteristics that have made him justly popular and influential among his fellow-citizens. His success has been due not only to his natural fine ability as a business man, but to his integrity and fair dealing as well.

 

REV. JOHN MARTIN

 

Minister of the gospel and planter, of Randolph county, is one of the oldest settlers now living in this county, having resided here continuously since 1831, except one year spent in Stewart county. Mr. martin was born Jan. 3, 1821, in the Union district, S.C., and was the son of James and Hester (Bogan) Martin, natives of South Carolina and of Irish parentage. Robert Martin, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, and his wife, Polly, were born in Ireland, and came to this country before the revolutionary war, in which he served as a soldier. He had a brother, who also came over at the same time and settled in the palmetto state. He, too, was in the patriot army, and while making his escape from the British troops was forced to swim a river. In doing so he was shot in the arm, so crippling him that although the shore and safety were within a few yards he was obliged to succumb and was drowned. Robert Martin was a farmer, and died at an old age in South Carolina, leaving a large family of children. One of his sons, James, was born in 1788, and when a young man moved to Georgia and settled in Jasper county, where he married the mother of Rev. Martin. He, too, followed farming, and died in Randolph county on the tract of land his son now owns. He left South Carolina with his family in 1821, and coming overland to Georgia, settled in Jasper county, where they resided to 1831, when they moved to Randolph county, and located on a piece of land where he continued to live until his death in 1869. He was a man vigorous in physical development and of high mental attainments. Five of his sons became ministers of the gospel. His wife's death occurred just previous to her husband's demise. She was a good mother and wife, and a member of the Baptist church from childhood. This union was blessed with ten children, who are as follows: Rev. Isaac, who died in Texas; Rev. Robt. now in Texas; Rev. John, the subject of this sketch; Rev. Crawford, now of Texas; Rev. Charles C., of Randolph county; George, of Randolph; James C., of Cuthbert; Mrs. Eastor Houston, of Louisiana; Mrs. Jane Sapon, of Randolph county, and Nancy, who died in childhood. Rev. Mr. Martin grew to manhood on the place where he now lives, and was educated in the common schools of that time. He was engaged in farming all his life, and in 1866 opened a store which he continued until a few years ago. He has been uniformly successful with everything he has been associated with in a business way, the result of his quick mind and industrious habits. He professed religion in his nineteenth year, and soon after was licensed to preach. In 1844, he was ordained as a minister of the Baptist church, and has since occupied the pulpit regularly, devoting most of his time to the poorer churches. His charge now embraces one church in Randolph county and one in Stewart. His has been an unusually active life, and one which has ever brought him the love and esteem of all who knew him. He was married in 1838 to Martha Truitt, born in Jasper county in 1821 and a daughter of Riley and Boneta (Smith) Truitt, natives of Wilkes county, Ga. Mrs. Martin was the youngest child, her father having died soon after her birth. She was reared and educated in the common schools. To Mr. and Mrs. Martin have been born thirteen children, eleven of whom are living; J. M., who lives with Rev J. W., Hester, wife of W. S. Curry, living on the old settlement place; Amanda, wife of C.F. Curry, of Randolph county; R. B.; Mrs. Sarah Watson; Mrs. Tyree Saxon; Mrs. Mattie Swan, and Miss Lillie Martin of Randolph county; J. A. and C. W. Martin, of Shellman. The two children deceased are Mrs. Mary Jones Pope, who died in Texas, and R. T., killed at Bainbridge, Ga. Rev. Mr. Martin is the grandfather of fifty-two children and the great-grandfather of twelve, and the immediate family connections number over 100 persons. Mr. Martin is a stanch supporter of the principles of democracy, and takes great interest in the welfare of the party. The family home is eleven and one half miles southeast of Cuthbert, and the neighborhood is known as the Martin settlement. Mr. Martin was appointed postmaster during Harrison's administration. The post office was established before the war and was known as Bedford, and J.C. Martin was the first postmaster. During President Harrison's administration the name of Bethel was given to the office. Mrs. Amanda Curry is now the post-mistress.

 

H.C. NEWTON

 

The present generation of Newtons, one of the oldest and most influential families of the palmetto state, is represented in Randolph county, Ga., by H.C. Newton, a successful merchant of Cuthbert. They are descendents of the Newtons of England. His great-grandfather, Giles Newton, was a resident of Henrico county, Va., and reared a family of two sons and four daughters as follows: James Newton, Younger Newton, Martha Bullard, Elizabeth Summerall, Ann Herndon and Portwood. He and his two sons, James and Younger, served as patriots in the war of the revolution, at the close of which they moved with their families to Marlboro district, S.C., and entered and purchased large tracts of land on both sides of the North and South Carolina line. Having amassed quite a fortune in lands and chattels, he died Oct 15, 1807, leaving to his wife, Bettie Newton, several plantations and quite a number of negroes and cattle. James Newton died a resident of Marlboro district, S.C., in 1836. He names in his will three sons and three daughters, as follows: James Newton, William Newton, Pleasant Newton, Martha Wright, Elizabeth Purnell and Sarah Adams. Of these, Pleasant died a resident of Marlboro district, S.C. James and William moved away, probably to North Carolina or Georgia. Younger Newton, son of the above-named Giles Newton, was born in Henrico county, Va. in 1761, spent his early manhood in defense of his country, and after the British yoke had been broken and independent, he took to himself a wife, Miss Curghill, of Roanoke, Va.--and moved with his father and brother, James, to Marlboro district, S.C., and reared a large and industrious family, consisting of five sons and five daughters, as follows: Giles Newton, moved to Georgia or Alabama; Benjamin Newton, moved to Indiana; Younger Newton; Cornelius Newton; Daniel Newton; Sallie, married Mose Parker and moved to Ohio; Nancy, married John Usher; Julia, married John P. Adams; Elizabeth, married Samuel Snead, and moved to North Carolina; Mary. Younger Newton, grandson of Giles Newton, and father of H.C. Newton, was born in Marlboro district, S.C., June 6, 1792, served in the war of 1812, at the close of which he married a Miss Smith, of North Carolina. To this union were born six sons and two daughters, as follows: Giles; Cornelius; Alexander; Anderson; William; Younger S.; Ann and Elizabeth. Having lost his wife in the year 1840. he married Miss Harriet Covington, of North Carolina, daughter of Bexley Covington, and his first wife, who was a Miss Hunter. To this union were born thirteen children, five of whom died in infancy, the remaining eight are as follows: John C., killed at Drury's bluff, May, 1864; David D.; Martha, married A. B. Covington; Dudley C., died in Mississippi, Tallahatchie county, July, 1871; Nancy, married P.E. Odom; Peter S.; Frances, married H.C. Northam; H.C., subject of this sketch. H.C. Newton was born April 11, 1855, in Marlboro district, S.C., was the tenth child of his parents, and is the youngest son now living. He was given an excellent education, first going to private schools for his youthful instruction, then to Boykin and Pine Grove academies, in preparing for a course at Wofford college, in South Carolina. He would have graduated from the latter institution, but left his studies four months before the completion of the term, to accept a position as bookkeeper at Rockingham, N.C. He then began his business career by opening a merchandise store near the old home place of his family. He conducted this two years, then taught school for three years, after which he again turned his attention to mercantile life and opened a store at the same place, which was named after him, Newtonville. He was the first postmaster of the village, and served eight years. In 1892 he moved to Marion county, S.C., to accept the position of principal of Peedee academy. The following winter, he came to Georgia and settled near Cuthbert, on the old Mattox homestead. This he afterward sold, and now resides is Cuthbert, where he is engaged in the mercantile business. Mr. Newton takes a prominent part in politics and is a leader in the people's party. He was nominated on this ticket in 1804 for the general assembly, and with the energy, characteristic of the man, started in on a systematic campaign; but it was discovered that he could not legally hold the position to which he was nominated, as he had not been a resident of the state long enough. Mr. Newton accepted the situation gracefully, and retiring from the ticket, gave his successor the same efforts he would have exerted for himself. Mr Newton was married to Myrtle A. Newton, of the same county as his own. She was educated at Boykin academy. They have one child, Gertrude. The family belongs to the Methodist church. Mr. Newton is a master Mason, and a member of the Kappa Alpha society. Mrs. H.C. Newton is a daughter of Ira L.P. Newton, who was a son of the above-named Daniel Newton. She is the first born in a family of ten--five daughters and five sons. Her oldest brother, L.S. Newton, a bright and energetic youth, recently graduated from the Georgia-Alabama Business college, at Macon, Ga., and is now stenographer for H.H. Newton, at Bennettsville, S.C. Cornelius Newton, uncle of H.C. Newton, was born Dec. 25, 1797, was too young for service in the war of 1812, but defended the flock of his father from the wolves and panthers, while his older brothers were defending their country from British invasion. He married Miss Dorcas Purnell, in 1818, reared a family of seven sons and seven daughters, the youngest of which, H.H. Newton, at the age of sixteen, joined his brothers in defense of the Confederacy, where he served three years. He was badly wounded at Haw's shop, near Coal Harbor, Va., May 28, 1864. He graduated from Wofford college July, 1869; was admitted to the bar at Bennettville, S.C., 1870. He was married to Miss Martha Johnson, May 28, 1872. Of that union only one son was born, H. H. Newton, Jr.--who graduated from the same institution, June, 1805. Having lost his wife, he married Miss Mary Elizabeth McRae, of which union three daughters were born--Mary, Anna and Elizabeth. Anna died in 1887, and her mother in 1888. He then married Mrs. Kate McCall Monroe, to which union three daughters have been born--Katie M., Martha and Julia. He (H.H. Newton) has served as delegate to numerous conventions, both political and religious; was delegate to the straight-out convention that nominated Hampton in 1876, and was largely instrumental in liberating his state from carpet-bag rule of that period; represented his county in the state legislature, 1880-82, declining to permit his friends to run him for same a second time; served as solicitor of the fourth circuit six years; served as a delegate to numerous annual conferences of the Methodist Episcopal church, south, and twice made delegate to the general conference. He is correspondent for the "Commercial Law association", and has a large and lucrative practice in his section of his state. This branch of the Newton family are, with one or two exceptions, exclusively an agricultural people, and Methodist in religious belief.

 

W. J. OLIVER

 

One of Shellman's principal business men, banker, merchant, miler, and one of the largest planters in Randolph county is W. J. Oliver. He was born three miles from where he now lives, on the old home place of his family, property of which he now owns. It was in 1854, and his father was James W. Oliver, a native of South Carolina. The latter, when a young man, coma to Georgian and was employed on farms in Laurens and Wilkinson counties. Here he met and wedded Susan Greene, who was the beautiful daughter of an old settler and well-to-do planter. In 1836, with his wife, he moved to Randolph county and purchased the tract of land which became the homestead, and on which he lived until his death. His family was brought to their new home in a one-horse wagon, and lived in camp under the big hickory trees till the husband could fell trees and build a home of logs. All was a wilderness about them, but the axe of the woodsman soon opened up a clearing, and then followed the cultivation of the land and its improvement. James Oliver was among the first settlers in this section of the country, and his first few years here were full of privation, hardships and disappointments. He came from old Virginia stock, however, and knew how to conquer, and with a will and energy bound to succeed he achieved that end. When he died in 1856, aged fifty-eight years, he left an estate of about 2,000 acres on the home place, with about 500 acres cleared, 100 slaves, and 1,200 acres of land in the southern part of the county, all the result of a life of industry, good habits and wise judgment. His farm was in a high state of cultivation, with fine improvements and a big mansion thereon, erected just before he died. Mr. Oliver was a leading man of his day. He was a lover of humanity, and born without even a knowledge of the trait of selfishness, he took as much pleasure in the happiness of others as that of himself. He was liberal to schools and charities, and was a public benefactor in helping many of these institutions. In politics he voted with the Whigs, and while he always was an active member of his party, it was not for the purpose of seeking office, but to promote the interests of the country, which he believed could be best done through the medium of legislation pledged by his party. It was in the Masonic fraternity that he shone-where love and truth, friendship and charity were taught. A lodge was held for a long time at his residence, and for years he represented his lodge at the Grand lodge meetings. While he belonged to no church, he was a good man, whose example as a kind husband and father and patriotic citizen was worthy of the emulation of all. The wife continued to reside at the old homestead till her death in 1890, at a very old age. They had three children-all sons-of whom Mr. William J. Oliver, the youngest, it the only one now living. George W., deceased, was tax collector of the county for a good many years. He served as a soldier during the late war, in which, at the battle of Chancellorsville, he lost his left leg. He was furloughed, and came home, and upon his recovery, he acted as an enlisting officer at Fort Gaines, Ga. He was a man of traits of character like his father, and was popular with every one. After the war he took charge of his father's estate, and managed it until Mr. W.J. Oliver became of age in 1876. George W. Oliver left a wife and two children-a son and daughter. The mother lives in Shellman, and the daughter is the wife of Robert Powell, of the same place. The son is a conductor on the Central railroad. The estate of the father was equally divided between the children and mother, excepting the 1,200 acres of land in southern Georgia, which was bequeathed to the children. After the death of the mother and brothers, Mr. W.J. Oliver purchased from the heirs their interests, and now owns the whole of the old home place. William J. Oliver was raised on the old farm place and educated in the public schools, and at what is known as Rehaboth institute, in North Shellman. In 1883 he moved to Shellman to run a ginnery, and in 1884 started a merchandise business. In 1890, he established the Shellman Banking company, of which he is president. He now operates a large ginnery, with grist and planing mill in connection with it, which was built in 1894 at Shellman, and is one of the finest in the state. Mr. Oliver was married in 1877 to Mary Lee Taylor. The mother died, leaving four children: James Thaddeus, Leila Corrine, Dixie Alma, and Ross Layton. In 1892 he was married to Esther Bell, a daughter of John Bell, a leading farmer of Randolph county. Mr. Oliver is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He is a democrat, and though always active in political affairs, he has never sought political preferment. Mr. Oliver is endowed with a strong will power, great tenacity of purpose, and his life has been one of devoted industry and earnest practical results. He is a progressive man, and a hustler, and his efforts have largely contributed to the welfare of the people of Shellman, who entertain the highest regard for him.

 

PHILIP PEARCE

Prominent planter of Springvale, Randolph Co., was born in Stewart county in 1839, and is the son of Everett E. and Rebecca (Cooper) Pierce. His father, Everett E. Pierce, was born in South Carolina and when a young man came to Georgia, and married his wife in Randolph county, where he afterward settled, about 1844. He had served his country in the war of 1812, and against the Cherokees in 1835-36, and was one of the leading farmers of his day. He was a self-made man and a carpenter by trade, and is said to have built the first frame house in Columbus, Ga. He was a strong democrat in politics, and wielded a salutary influence in his county in his earlier years. His death occurred in 1875, aged seventy-five years. His wife, and mother of the subject of this sketch, survived her husband, dying in 1890, aged seventy-eight. She was the daughter of John Cooper, who came from South Carolina with early settlers, locating in Randolph county and building on the place Mr. Pearce now owns. He died there in 1837 well up in years, and leaving a large family of children, all of whom are now deceased. To the parents of Mr. Pearce were born two children, the subject of this sketch, and Mrs. Sarah J. Shirley, now deceased. Mr. Philip Pearce was brought up on the old farm place in Randolph county, and was educated in the old log school house of the early day. He enlisted in the late war, joining Company E, Third Georgia regiment, Capt. Martin J. Crawford commanding. His regiment was in Bragg's army, and near Louisville, Ky., he was captured and taken to that city. About a month later, at Vicksburg, Miss., he was exchanged, and returning home he was remounted and joined his command in Tennessee. At the time of the surrender he was with Gen. Young in South Carolina, near Columbia. He was detailed at Aiken, S.C., as a courier to take important dispatches from there to Columbia, a commission which he successfully accomplished. When peace was declared he came home, riding the horse he started out with in the fall of 1862. He then went to Alabama, where he lived about three years, when he returned to the home farm in Randolph county, where he has since engaged in farming. Mr. Pearce was married in 1860 to Leah E., daughter of Everett J. Pearce. Though of the same name the families were not related. Mrs. Philip Pearce's parents were also old settlers of Randolph county, and they had a large family of children. She was the third child, and was reared and educated in Randolph county. To Mr. and Mrs. Pearce have been born nine children, as follows: Philip, residing in Stewart county; Lula, wife of J. G. Pinkston, of Lumpkin; Viola, wife of George Harris, of Texas; Florence, widow of B.W. Barfield; John T.; Jennie, married to Dr. Tims, of Texas; Edward, Scott, and Effie, at h ome. Mrs. Pearce is an active member of the Methodist church and well known for her kindness and charity. Mr. Pearce is a stanch democrat, and was sheriff of Randolph county from 1881 to 1885. He is still a prominent figure in the councils of the leaders of his party in county and state affairs. Mr. Pearce is widely known for his deeds of charity, and as the friend of the needy and struggling. Much interested in the cause of educational development, his generous heart has frequently prompted him to help poor and unfortunate children to an education. He is one of the largest planters in his section of the county, and has a fine farm, well stocked and improved.

 

 JOSEPH NEWTON STANFORD

 

Born Oct. 27, 1848, in Randolph county, Ga., and was the second son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Phillips) Stanford. He was reared in Cuthbert, and having determined when young in years upon the newspaper business for his avocation in life, he entered a printing office, where he learned all the details from the case to the editorial chair. He is the present owner and editor of the "Leader," which he founded April 16, 1891. His first work was done on the "Reporter," a journal owned by Mr. T. Bird, and his next was on the Cuthbert "Appeal." Mr. Stanford was employed there until 1881, when "The Enterprise" was established, and he took charge of that, continuing on it until the "Liberal Enterprise" was started. About this time he established the "Leader," a weekly newspaper which has secured a good circulation and enjoys popularity and a liberal patronage. Mr. Stanford is one of the oldest newspaper men in Randolph county, and is well known throughout the state. He married Catharine Dunaway of Stewart county, by whom he has a family of ten children: Clara Elizabeth, James Benton, Gertrude, Annie, Daisy, John T., Shelley, Tisna, Lena, and Harold. Mr. and Mrs. Stanford are members of the Baptist church, and he is prominent in the Knights of Pythias fraternity. They enjoy a pleasant home in the outskirts of Cuthbert.

 

J. W. STANFORD

 

From a family whose collateral branches extend into many states of the south, and whose name is not only historic but renowned and influential, was born Dr. James W. Stanford of Cuthbert. His immediate ancestry were noted, upon both maternal and paternal sides, among the pioneers of southwestern Georgia, for their intelligence, probity, and mental and physical vigor. This combination of character and constitution, and innate worth, manifest themselves in the career of members of the present generation. Thomas Stanford was born in what is now Morgan county, Ga., May 15, 1806, and was the son of Thomas and Keziah Stanford, early settlers of middle Georgia. The latter lived for many years there, and had born to them a large family of children. Later in life they removed to Newton county and settled near Yellow river about ten miles from Covington, where they resided until coming to Randolph county about 1828. They purchased a farm about seven miles from Cuthbert, where the senior Stanford died in August, 1839-well advanced in years. After his death his widow removed to Alabama, where her last days were spent. Mr. Stanford was very wealthy at one time, but always liberal in charity, and free with the use of his means to help friends in pecuniary distress, he suffered heavy losses while living in Newton county. He was a soldier in the Indian wars during the years 1835-36, and a man of unflinching integrity, patient and considerate in private as well as in business life; of a sunny nature and a heart filled in sympathy for his fellow-man. Thomas Stanford was citizen not only honored but loved by those who knew him. His domestic life was a model in happiness, and to the family circle came ten children, five boys and five girls-all of whom lived to be men and women grown, but all now deceased. They were Mary, the eldest, who married and settled in Habersham county; Edward, settled in Newton county; William, settled in Henry county; Martha, married, lived in Alabama; Thomas, Jr.; Nancy, married George Hobbs and settled in Randolph county; Elizabeth, married a Mr. Elliott and moved to Alabama; David, settled in Texas; John, settled in Arkansas; Keziah. Thomas Stanford, Jr., father of J. W. Stanford, was but a boy when his parents moved from Morgan to Newton county, where he grew to manhood. On Dec. 24, 1835, he was married to Elizabeth Phillips, a native of Morgan county. She was born April 24, 1819, and was the daughter of James and Mary (Phillips) Phillips, natives of the Carolinas. A coincident worthy of note in connection with this union of her parents is, that, though their families were entirely unknown to each other both started from their respective homes in North and South Carolina on the same day, and reached Morgan county, Ga., at the same time. Mrs. Stanford, when a child moved with her parents to Newton county, where she was married. Her husband farmed until about two years before his death, when he moved to Cuthbert, where he was employed as a bookkeeper, and served as bailiff of the county. He was a man of fine business capacity, and was a high, noble-minded citizen. He died Feb. 3, 1859, leaving a wife and five children: Martha Ann, who married John R. Scott, of Stewart county, and is now living in Lockesburgh, Ark; Mary S., single, and living with her mother; John Thaddeus, of Cuthbert; Joseph Newton, editor and proprietor of the "Leader" of Randolph county; and Dr. James W. Stanford. Mrs. Stanford, mother of the above children, is a devoted member of the Baptist church, having untied with that denomination when a girl of fifteen years, and has been a member of the Cuthbert congregation for over half a century. Though beyond three-quarters of a century of years, Mrs. Stanford is hale and hearty, and remarkably well preserved. Dr. J. W. Stanford, the youngest child by the first marriage, was born Nov. 4, 1852, and received the benefit of the public schools in his youthful days. He was but a boy when he entered a printing office in Cuthbert to learn the trade, and continued there until 1873, when he accepted a position in a drug store and began the study of pharmacy, for which he had long had a predilection. In 1876 he commenced business for himself and now has a flourishing and extensive business and is one of the substantial citizens of Randolph county. His capital when he started in life was a superabundance of will and energy, supported by a fixed determination, which brough its sequence-success. Nov. 12, 1876, he was united in marriage to Sarah Burr, the daughter of Augustus P. and Catharine (Beasley) Burr, of Cuthbert. An interesting family of eight children followed this union: James W., Jr., William B., Edgar, Harry, Leland, Emmett, Frank, and Grover. Dr. Stanford is one of the leading members of the Baptist church, a denomination with which he united when fourteen years old. He is superintendent of the Sunday-school, one of the trustees of Bethel Male college, and also of Mercer university. He is an enthusiast on the subject of education, and has always taken an active lead in the cause of intellectual improvement. He has doubtless provided means to more young men who were needy and struggling to acquire learning that any other man in southwest Georgia. He is a royal arch Mason and H. P. of the local chapter, a Knight of Honor and a member of the American Legion of Honor. He lives with his family in a handsome home in Cuthbert.

 

JOHN THOMAS STEVENS

 

Planter, Cuthbert, Randolph county, was born in 1845, in this county. He is a grandson of Stephen Stevens, a native of South Carolina, born near Charleston, who, with his family, consisting of wife, four sons and two daughters, migrated overland to Georgia in 1826, and settled in Houston county, being among the first settlers of that county. He was a farmer, a democrat in politics and a sincere member of the Primitive Baptist church, in which faith he triumphantly died. His wife survived him a few years. They raised six children: James, who moved to Mississippi just previous to the war; Luke located in Mississippi; Thomas, who settled in Stewart county, where he died; Julia A., who married a Mr. Edward Smith and settled in Alabama, where she is yet living; Erliffa, who died single, in Georgia, and Burrell. The last named was the youngest child of Stephen Stevens, and was born in South Carolina, Jan. 23, 1814. He grew to manhood in Houston county and received a very good education. He married Sarah Shivers, who was born July 30, 1818, in Houston county. She was the daughter of Jack Shivers, a native of South Carolina, and one of the early settlers of Houston county, who lived to an old age. For a while he resided in Terrell county, but later moved back to Houston county, where he died. He had four children: Eli, Allie, Sarah, and Sadie, all deceased. Burrell Stevens and wife moved to Randolph county and settled on the Chickasawatchee creek, now in Terrell county, where he lived about fourteen years. He then moved to a farm eight miles south of Cuthbert, which place he owned at the time of his death, Aug 3, 1878, while living in Cuthbert. He was deputy sheriff at the time of his demise, and served as a soldier in Gov. Joe Brown's state militia the latter part of the late war. He was a democrat, a member of the Missionary Baptist church, and a very successful farmer. Sarah Stevens, his wife, died Feb. 21, 1864. She was a member of the Primitive Baptist church. They had nine children, as follows: Celia J., born Jan. 19, 1840, died Oct. 14, 1841; Stephen, born Feb. 13, 1842, died Oct. 31, 1842; John Thomas, born Aug. 15, 1843; Julia Amanda, born Aug. 24, 1845, and married Alvard Wall, of Randolph county; Erliffa Ann, born March 25, 1847, married to James McMichael, died in February, 1894; James M., born Dec. 23, 1843, now living in Lumpkin, Ga.; William W., born March 11, 1851, living in Randolph county; Burrell A., born May 6, 1853, and Joseph L., born Sept. 15, 1857, living in Randolph county. Mr. Stevens was married, the second time, to Mrs. Sarah Britt, who died in 1893, in Terrell county. The subject of this sketch was the third child by his first marriage, and lived at home with his parents until 1862, when he enlisted for the war in Company H, Fifty-first Georgia regiment, under command of Gen. Sims. He saw a great deal of fighting from the first to the last of the war, and participated in the following battles: Seven Pines, second Manassas, Fredericksburg, Harper's Ferry, Gettysburg, Knoxville, the battle of the Wilderness, and all the fighting around Richmond. He then proceeded to Appomattox, and was there at the surrender. He was taken prisoner in the battle of Gettysburg and sent to Fort Delaware, where he was kept for thirty days and then exchanged. In the battle of the Wilderness he was shot through the foot, and at Chancellorsville a spent ball struck him under the right eye, severely injuring him. At the surrender Mr. Stevens was one of only three of Company H that was left of the company, the others having been killed, wounded or taken prisoner during the war. He returned to his home, walking over one hundred miles of the way, and commenced farming on the old place. In 1867 he was married to Miss Watson, born in February, 1842, in Stewart county. She was the daughter of Green Watson, a native of Georgia, who settled in Randolph county, where he died. He had a family of nine children, four of whom were sons. Mrs. Stevens was the fifth child, and the only one of the children now living. Mr. and Mrs. Stevens have had born to them two children: Sarah Lenia, wife of Mr. Mack Kenney, who lives on the home place, and Mary May, born Oct. 11, 1870, and died Oct. 21, 1879. Mrs. McKinney has three children. Mrs. Stevens and her daughter are members of the Baptist church. Mr. Stevens is a stanch democrat in politics. They live on a fine farm about nine miles south of Cuthbert.

 

DANIEL R. STEWART

 

The Stewart family, prominent in the annals of Randolph county history, from the time the county was cut out of Lee, is of Scotch descent, as the name plainly evidences. Daniel Stewart, who came from Scotland with his family about the year 1800, and settled in Buncombe county, North Carolina, was the founder. He served in the war of 1812, in the ranks of the United States army, and soon after it was over moved with his family to Georgia and settled near Macon. He had four sons and two daughters. He was a good type of the hardy Scotchman, whose blood is well mingled in the veins of Georgia's early residents. He was a Whig in politics and a stanch Presbyterian. He died in Marion county, Ga., to which place he had moved, aged eighty-eight years. John Stewart, his son, was a small boy when the family settled in Georgia. He lived near Macon with his parents until manhood, and then located in Marion county, where he married Miss Giles, a native of that county. He was a farmer there for a few years, whence he moved to Sumter county, where he resided until 1854, when he purchased a farm in Randolph county, near what is now Coleman Station. He was a man who enjoyed the respect and confidence of all whom his business and social relations brought him in contact with. He was a good liver and fond of his family. In early life he was a Whig, but after the war a democrat, and while taking a prominent part in politics, never aspired to office. His wife died in the summer of 1867, while on a visit in Sumter county. She was born in 1826, and was a good Christian woman, belonging to the Baptist church. John Stewart, after the death of his wife and the marriage of his children, went to live with his son, Daniel R. Stewart, where he died, in October, 1882, his death resulting from injuries received by being thrown by a mule. To this union were born the following children: Mrs. Mary Colline, of Randolph county; William Henry Harrison, died during the late war, of typhoid-pneumonia, in Knoxville, Tenn., being a member of Company G, Fifty-fifth Georgia regiment; Daniel R., the subject of this sketch; John T., of Calhoun county; Noah, of Randolph county; Mrs. Margaret Johnston, and Mrs. Christian Johnston, of Sumter county; A. P., of Randolph county; Naomi, died in childhood. Mr. Daniel R. Stewart, the third child of John Stewart, was born in Marion county, and came with his parents to Randolph county at the age of twelve years. He attended the public schools of Randolph and Sumter counties, and was only sixteen years old when the call was made for volunteers for the war. Youth was no barrier to his enlistment, and he joined the First Georgia state troops, but upon his company being reorganized he became a member of the Fifty-fifth regiment, commanded by Col. C. B. Haskey. The regiment was captured at Cumberland gap in 1863, but, fortunately for Mr. Stewart, he was then confined to the hospital with a case of erysipelas. At the time of surrender Mr. Stewart had charge of a wagon train at Augusta. After the war he returned to Randolph county, where he purchased a tract of land, which contained about sixty acres in cultivation. This little "garden spot" has been developed into a plantation of about 3,000 acres, which, with mills, gins and stores, represent the efforts of Mr. Stewart for the past thirty years. All this is the result of industry, economy, quick discernment and rare judgment. Mr. Stewart had no help but what his arms brought him, and he can justly feel proud when referred to as a self-made man. He is known as one of the most practical farmers of the county, and has about 1,000 acres under cultivation. In 1890 he commenced the business of general merchandising, his storeroom being located on the home place, and it has extended to very large proportions. Mr. Stewart was married to Nancy O. Pope, a native of Washington county, Ga., but principally reared in Randolph county. She is the daughter of Wiley M. Pope, who was a native of North Carolina, and was an early settler in Washington county. He was a well educated man and a minister of the Missionary church. He died at the age of eighty years, in Randolph county. Mrs. Stewart was educated in Washington county. They have one child, Theodosia E., the wife of Judge J. M. Griggs, of Dawson. The family are members of the Baptist church. Mr. Stewart is one of the leaders of the democratic party in Randolph county. He was elected to the house of representatives in 1891, and for a number of years was a member of the county school board. He is now a member of the jury commission. Mr. Stewart lives in a pleasant home about eleven miles southeast of Cuthbert.

 

COLUMBUS TAYLOR

 

One of the prominent and influential business men of Randolph county, of which he is a native, was born in 1844. His family came from South Carolina, his grandfather, Francis Taylor, being a native of the same district, that state, and coming to Georgia in the later years of his life, he died in Randolph county, where he had located. His youngest son was William Taylor, who was born in South Carolina, opposite Augusta, in 1816, and married to Matilda Bass, of North Carolina, took up a home in Randolph county, Ga., in the forties. He was the only one of his brothers and sisters to come to Georgia, and all of his life, save a few years spent in Early county, was passed on his farm in Randolph county. He was in the Indian wars of 1835-36, and in the early part of the civil war performed service in the state militia. He was a democrat in politics and a Baptist in his religious faith. He was a Mason high in its degrees, and in business a successful planter. He died in 1870. His wife was born in Sampson county, N.C., in 1822, and is yet living, residing with her daughter, Mrs. Grubbs, in Randolph county. She is a regular attendant of the Baptist church, and is hale and hearty for one of her many years. To this union were born seven children: Columbus, the subject of this sketch; Marion; Thomas B., who died in Calhoun county in 1875, leaving a wife and one child; Mrs. Martha E. Grubbs; Wiley L., Randolph county; Mitchell, and James M., of Randolph county. Columbus Taylor was educated in the local schools of Randolph county, and when eighteen years old joined the Confederate army, enlisting in Company B, Forty-seventh Georgia regiment, under Col. Williams. He served until the war was ended, and was most of this time in active campaigning. He was in the battles of Jackson, Miss., Resaca, New Hope, and Kennesaw Mountain, Ga., and scores of skirmishes. When the war was over he returned home and resumed farming. He was married in 1872 to Lucretia H. Pruett, of Calhoun county, where she was born. She is the daughter of Jeffrey W. Pruett, a merchant planter of Calhoun county, whose parents were Virginians. Mrs. Taylor is graduate of Bethel Female college of Cuthbert, who, after teaching school eight years continuously in the neighborhood with splendid success and to the entire satisfaction of her patrons, was married to Mr. Taylor, and is the mother of four children: William O., Lillie May, Gertrude and Edgar. Lillie May was married to Mr. A. K. Martin of Cuthbert. Mr. Taylor is a democrat, and in 1886-87 represented his county in the legislature. He has also been a useful member of the county board of education. In 1884, Mr. Taylor commenced the general merchandise business on the home farm, and in 1888 he moved to Cuthbert, where a year later he opened a store. This was moved back to the old place in 1893. Mr. Taylor conducts his business, which is ten miles out in the country, but his family live in Cuthbert, where the children are being educated. Aug. 6, 1895, he was elected ordinary of Randolph county to fill the unexpired term of M. Gormley, deceased. He was elected as a democrat by a vote of three to one over his populist opponent. Mr. Taylor and wife are members of the Baptist church. His business career has been and honorable one, and his reputation among business men is first-class, while socially he enjoys the highest respect and esteem among his fellow citizens.

 

J. F. TRIPPE

 

Planter, Shellman, is a native of Greene county, Ga. He was born in 1839, and is the son of James Madison and Rhoda H. (Rolland) Trippe, of Greene county, Ga. J. M. Trippe was born in Hancock county, Jan. 12, 1814, and his wife was born Feb. 1, 1818, in Greene county. In the last mentioned county they grew to maturity and were married, and there resided until their son, J.F. Trippe, was nine years of age, when they moved to Muscogee county and lived one year and thence to Stewart county. For seven years they lived twelve miles north of Lumpkin, then moving to Randolph county and settling in the tenth district, where they resided three years. The father died March 9, 1878. He was a brave soldier in the war and belonged to Company A, Second Georgia cavalry. The mother died Jan. 26, 1878, leaving one child, J.F. Trippe. He spent his boyhood days in Greene, Stewart and Randolph counties, and studied dentistry in Cuthbert under Dr. Hammel of that place, forming a co-partnership in 1859 with that gentleman. He practiced his profession at various points until the war, when he joined the regiment made up in Randolph county, the Cuthbert Rifles, which afterward became a part of the Fifth Georgia, under Col. M.K. Jackson, of Augusta. In about a year he was elected first lieutenant of the Second Georgia cavalry of Cuthbert, and then he finished the war serving under that intrepid officer, Gen. Forrest. He was in the battles of Corinth, Miss., at Murfreesboro, Tenn, under Forrest; at Perryville, Ky., under Bragg; Missionary Ridge, Resaca, Jonesboro, and Atlanta, Ga. Then he went to the Carolinas, engaging in skirmishes all along the way, till the surrender of Johnston. At Murfreesboro, Tenn., the escapes Mr. Trippe made were miraculous. He was in the thickest of the fight, and after the battle found where seventeen bullets had been shot through his clothes without him receiving a scratch or a wound. After the war Mr. Trippe found that dentistry was not in as much demand as products for the stomach, and he turned his attention to farming, which he has since pursued. While home on a furlough Feb. 26, 1863, he married May E. Mayo, a native of Marion county, Ga. She was born July 10, 1842, and is the daughter of Benjamin Mayo, of Marion county. To this union have been born seven children, as follows: James B. Trippe, living at home; William H., living near the home place; Mary T., deceased wife of John Freeman, of Worth county; Thomas T., living near the home place; Emma L., married to the husband of her deceased sister; John Lee, deceased, and Fletcher Milton. Mr. and Mrs. Trippe are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is clerk and one of the trustees. In politics Mr. Trippe is a populist, and in the fall of 1893 was nominated by the people's party the day before the election to represent the county in the legislature. The regular nominee, Mr. Newton, was found to be ineligible, and Mr. Trippe at the twelfth hour made a hard fight, proving his popularity in the county. He lives on a large farm near Shellman.

 

REV. P.S. TWITTY. Andrew Female college, of Cuthbert, Ga., in its forty years of existence, has graduated some to the most noted women of the state, and has established a reputation known in every part of the country. It was founded in 1854, and the first president was Rev. John W. Caldwell, a member of the Methodist conference. He was succeeded by Capt. A.H. Flewellen, Dr. A. S. Hamilton, Rev. J. B. McGehee, Rev. H. W. Key and Rev. P.S. Twitty, who is now in charge. The building was destroyed by fire in April, 1892, and was rebuilt at a cost of $22,000. It contains sixty rooms, all elegantly furnished, and possesses all modern equipments. Rev. P.S. Twitty was born in Meriwether county, Ga., in February, 1842. He was educated in the schools of Americus, Ga., and taught school for several years after the war. He was just reaching manhood when the call for volunteers was heard in 1862, and he joined the Sumpter Light guards, of Americus, Capt. W. L. Johnson. The company was assigned to the Fourth Georgia regiment, and participated in some very hard campaigning and desperate battles. While fate spared his life, yet he seemed particularly unfortunate in receiving wounds, and was four times injured during the war. The first was at Malvern Hill, Va.; the second at Antietam, Md.; the third at Washington, D.C., while on Gen. Early's raid through Maryland, and the last at Winchester, Va. He was captured at Gettysburg, and taken to Point Lookout, Md., where he was a prisoner for eight months. He was exchanged and returned to his command, serving to the conclusion of the war. He attained the position of orderly-sergeant while in service. For a while after the war he engaged in merchandising, and then taught school at Smithville. In 1872 he joined the Methodist conference, and until 1890, occupied the pulpit of their church. Part of this time he was presiding elder of the Waycross and Americus districts. In 1890 he was elected to the presidency of Andrew Female college. Rev. Mr. Twitty descends from one of two brothers who came from the northern part of Ireland to America in the eighteenth century. One brother joined Daniel Boone in the settlement of Kentucky, while the other located in North Carolina. From the latter springs the Georgia family, Peter Twitty coming to this state in 1800. John W. Twitty, the father of Rev. Mr. Twitty, was an itinerant preacher in the Methodist church and died in Americus in 1852 when he was thirty-three years of age. Mr. Twitty was married to Rebecca Smith of Americus, Ga., and to them have been born seven children: John, Lucy, Howard, Annie, Russel, Helen and Peter. He is a man of spotless integrity, and is conscious to all the affairs of life. He is amiable in disposition, courteous, and ever mindful of the feelings of others. Andrew Female college has enjoyed a prosperous career under his administration, and has been advanced in the standing of educational institutions of the land.

 

W. J. T. WHALEY

 

Planter and ginner, Shellman, was born where he now lives in 1848. He was the son of Wilkins D. Whaley and Malinda (Lindsey) Whaley, natives of Troup county. They came to Randolph county in 1832 and there lived all their lives. James Adolphus Whaley, grandfather of the subject of this memoir, with his wife came to Randolph county about the same time and settled the town known as Cleveland, on the line between Terrell and Randolph. He built a great mill on Lunkey creek and was an important personage in the neighborhood. They had eight children, all of whom are deceased. Wilkins Whaley married in Troup county, and was a blacksmith and farmer. He served in the late war and died in July, 1880, aged sixty years. His wife died in 1877, aged fifty-five years. To this union were born nine children that lived to be grown, one of whom is now deceased. They are Mrs. Nancy E. Hart, Mrs. Susan Sappington, Mrs. Fredonia Hart, Armenta Ellen McMillan, James A., W. J. T., Mrs. Texas Anne Arnold, Ardella, deceased, Mrs. Valeria Victoria Bigby. Mr. W. J. T. Whaley attained his majority in the neighborhood in which he now lives, and when fifty-three years old was married to Fannie E. Wall, a native of Marion county. She came to Randolph county with her parents in 1860, and was educated at Brookville, Randolph Co., and Pineville, Marion Co., She was the daughter of Thomas A. and Eliza (Powell) Wall. Mrs. Whaley was an excellent Christian woman, and her death in September, 1883, was much lamented. She left the following children: William Wesley, Thomas Wall, Joe Davis, Homer Powell, Annie May. Thomas Wall is married and lives in Randolph. Mr. Whaley's second marriage was to Fannie V.T. Stewart, born in Ellerville, near Americus, Ga. She was the daughter of W.D. Stewart, a native of Georgia, now deceased, and her mother was Martha Ann Stovall, born in this state and still living in Randolph county. Mr. Whaley was about twelve years of age when his parents moved to Dawson, where Mrs. Whaley was reared and educated. She is the mother of two living children, Birdie, and Robert Roy. Mr. Whaley belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church and is a democrat in politics. He is considered one of the best farmers in the county and owns a magnificent farm, in a high state of cultivation

.

 

Up ] Bio's and Historical memoirs of Randolph county ] [ Randolph Co. Memoirs of Ga. ] Cemeteries ] CSA Units Randolph County ]

 

 

 

We are proud to be part of The Georgia GenWeb www.gagenweb.org  and AHGP .
Disclaimer :  The GeorgiaGenWeb Project is not affiliated with USGenWeb.
2004 Margie A. Daniels
Like what you see and would like to see more?  Send your records, wills, bibles, land, CSA, deeds, probate and bios to Margie and I  will add them to the site.