The Stories
Post information on these stories to the Indian Captive message board.

Up ] The Stories Pg. 2 ]

Indian Wars:

Some settlers with ten wagons went to Albany, Berks County, PA, for the purpose of bringing a family with ther effects to a point near Reading. As they were returning, they were fired upon by a number of Indians on both sides of the road. The wagoners ran into the woods and the frightened horses ran off. The Indians then killed George ZEISLOF and his wife, a boy aged twenty, another aged twelve, and a girl aged fourteen. Another girl in the party was shot through the neck and mouth, and scalped, but made her escape.

On the same day the Indians burned the home of Peter KLUCK, about fourteen miles from Reading, and killed the entire family. While the KLUCK home was burning, the Indians assulted the home of a family named LINDENMAN nearby. Two men and a woman ran upstairs where the woman was killed, and the men then ran out of the house. Although LINDENMAN had been shot in the neck, he succeeded in shooting an Indian.

In 1866 at age 11 years my Grandfather, Roque Ramos was taken captive by Warriors of the Apache that at that time were "administered" to by the Southern Apache Indian Agency at Ojo Caliente in the Territory Of New Mexico. My grandfather and a little girl (not related to him) were taken from a ranch owned by Ursulo Ramos near Aconchi, Sonora, Mexico. Roque and the little girl named "Chonita," according to one oral history account, were eventually brought to Ojo Caliente, located northwest of Canada Alamosa (Monticello) in the Territory of New Mexico. My Grandfather was rescued from captivity in August 1870 but the fate of the little girl became unknown. According to oral history accounts, Roque was adopted by a wife of Cochise while he remained with the Tribe. What became of the little girl?
Did Cochise and the people of Ojo Caliente come to Mescalero or go to Arizona? Is "Cochise" a true Native American name?

According to World Book Encyclopedia:
"In 1867, a frontiersman named Thomas J. Jeffords went to Cochise's camp and persuaded him to let mail carriers pass through the Indian land. In 1872, Jeffords led General Oliver O. Howard to Cochise to discuss peace. Cochise agreed to stop fighting and moved his band to a reservation in Arizona".

Mary Jane Downing, daughter of Reuben Downing and Charity Richardson, was supposedly captured by Indians about 1830-40 in northern Illinois, and later returned to her family. This might have occurred in Cook, Kane, DuPage or Kendall counties, or thereabouts. Can anyone tell me where to look for confirmation?

I am trying to locate John Sager,born about 1775-1800.
His family was killed in a raid and he was taken captive by the
indians and held for abt. 7 years. He escaped and became
an army scout. He married Margaret Deline in 1818 and their
first child was born in Wayne Co., N.Y in 1919.I can find no parents on either of these people. My husband is a decendent. Thanks in advance. Myra  (from Indian Captives message board, please respond there)

The MITCHELL family lived in Derry Township, Westmoreland County, PA, on the Loyalhanna, about two miles east of Latrobe. In 1791 the family consisted of the mother and two children, Charles, aged seventeen, and Susan, aged fifteen, the father having died a few years before. During this year, four Indians approached the home while Charles and Susan were in the stable attending to the stock. Charles tried to escape by running, but was captured. Susan hid under the feeding trough and the Indians were unable to find her. The mother was then captured and she and Charles were led to the north. Mrs. Mitchell was found to be too old to travel and was killed. Charles was taken to the headwaters of the Allegheny River. He remained with the Senecas for three years until his escape.

Captain Joan SLOAN was a prominent figure in the early history of Westmoreland County, PA. In 1795, he and his nephew, John WALLACE, and two neighbors named HUNT and KNOTT left Derry Township, Westmoreland County, for a trip to the valley of the Big Maumee. Here they were attacked by Indians. KNOTT was killed, SLOAN wounded, and HUNT captured, never to be heard of again. SLOAN and WALLACE proceeded to Fort Hamilton.

Little Jacob NICELY, son of Adam NICELY, was aged five when he was captured by the Senecas. The NICELY family resided on Four Mile Run in Westmoreland County, PA, about two miles from its junction with the Loyalhanna. It was either the summer of 1790 or 1791.

Little Jacob and his sisters were picking blackberries when Jacob returned to the house. After fetching a cake, Jacob started to return to rejoin his siblings when a band of Senecas, who were concealed in the woods, captured him. The father with some companions followed the captors as far as the Kiskiminetas, where they lost the trail.

After many years no trace of the captured child was found. Finally, in 1828, a man from Westmoreland County, trading among the Senecas in Warren County, recognized Jacob and brought back the information to the mother, who was then over seventy years of age. As the father had died, a brother then traveled on horseback to the Seneca reservation. When he found the long-lost Jacob, he had been adopted by the Indians, had a family, and considerable possessions.

Pennsylvania Archives, Vol 8, p 140

On Sunday morning , March 12, 1780, a party of Wyandots from Ohio fell upon five men and six children at a sugar camp at the mouth of Reardon Run on Racoon Creek near the line between Beaver and Washington Counties, PA.

The white people were members of the TUCKER and TURNER families of Noblestown, Allegheny County and the FOULKES family of the northern part of Washington County. The white men were killed, and the children, three boys and three girls captured. Among the children were George FOULKES, aged eleven, Elizabeth FOULKES, aged nine, and Samuel WHITTAKER, aged eleven. The captive children remained among the Indians for many years.

Ref: 'History of Beaver County, PA 1888'

Similar Report: further:......

Elizabeth Foulkes grew up among the Indians and subsequently married Samuel Whitaker, a fellow captive, and then located on the Sandusky River in Ohio.

George Foulkes was prisoner eleven years, during which time he became so thoroughly acquainted with Indian character as to be fully qualified as an Indian Scout. He was the special friend and partner of Capt. Samuel Brady. On his return from captivity he married Catherine Ullery, who lived on the Ohio River. After peace was restored they removed to a farm four miles from Darlington, where he died in 1840.

Indian Wars:

Some settlers with ten wagons went to Albany, Berks County, PA, for the purpose of bringing a family with ther effects to a point near Reading. As they were returning, they were fired upon by a number of Indians on both sides of the road. The wagoners ran into the woods and the frightened horses ran off. The Indians then killed George ZEISLOF and his wife, a boy aged twenty, another aged twelve, and a girl aged fourteen. Another girl in the party was shot through the neck and mouth, and scalped, but made her escape.

On the same day the Indians burned the home of Peter KLUCK, about fourteen miles from Reading, and killed the entire family. While the KLUCK home was burning, the Indians assulted the home of a family named LINDENMAN nearby. Two men and a woman ran upstairs where the woman was killed, and the men then ran out of the house. Although LINDENMAN had been shot in the neck, he succeeded in shooting an Indian.

Settlers reported  to have been killed or captured.

Compiled in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA

Elizabeth BAKER; Tennessee; Aug 1793.
Richard BARD; Apr 1758.
Thomas POTTER; Apr 1758.
Samuel HUNTER; Apr 1758.
Daniel McMANIMY; Apr 1758.
William WHITE; Apr 1758.
Alex BARR; Westmoreland County, PA; 1768.
Col. Alex BARR; Near Wheeling on Ohio River; 1785.
William WALLACE; Near Wheeling on Ohio River; 1785.
John Michael BASHOUR; Buffalo Valley; July 1778.
Maria BASKET; Susquehanna River; 1758.
Nancy BASKET; Sackum; 1758.
John K. BAUMAN; Moore Twp Jan 1756.
James BEALY; Paxton, PA; Aug 1757.
Robert BELL; Hanover Twp. Nov 1757.
Christian BEMBAR; Mahoney Creek area; Jan 1756.
K. BESLINGER; Bethel Twp. Nov 1755.
Conrad BETEBENDER; Adam Boserd settlement; Apr 1757.
Mrs. David BIALMEN; Lynn Twp; Mar 1756.
Henry BICKLE; Buffalo Valley, PA; 1778.
Nathaniel BINGHAM; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
George WOODS; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
Robert TAYLOR; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
Francis INNIS; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
John McCONNELL; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
Hannah GRAY; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
Susan GILES; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
Robert COCHRAN; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
Thomas McKinney; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
Alexander McALLISTER; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
James ADAMS; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
Jane COCHRAN; Tuscarora Valley, PA; June 1756.
James BLAIR; McCord's Fort, PA; Apr 1756.
John BLAIR; McCord's Fort, PA; Apr 1756.
Col. Anthony BLEDSOE; Tennessee; 1793.
Col. Isaac BLEDSOE; Tennessee; 1793.

Compiled in Pittsburgh, PA

Major ADAIR; Ft. St. Clair, PA; Apr 1792.
Samuel ADAMS; Near Ft. Bedfore, PA; Dec 1777.
Robert AISLES; N.W. Augusta Co, VA; 1783.
Mrs. June ALCORN; Cambria Co, PA; ca 1789.
Robert ADKINSON; Bryant Station, Fayette Co, VA; Aug 1782.
Francis ALBERT; Bethel Twp, PA; June 1756.
Kathren ALBERT; Bethel Twp, PA; May 1757.
Jacob ALLEMAN; Whitehall Twp, PA; Oct 1763.
James ALLEN; Near Bethlehem, PA; Oct 1763.
John ALLEY; Lickinging River, KY; 1782
Gottlieb ANDERS; Gnadenhutton; Nov 1755.
Joanna Christina ANDERS; Gnadenhutton; Nov 1775.
Johanna ANDERS; Gnadenhutton; Nov 1755.
Zephaniah MILLER; Ft. Andes; 1778.
Abel CADY; Ft. Andes; 1778.
Robert DONALDSON; Ft. Andes; 1778.
Robert FLEMING; Ft. Andes; 1778.
James McMICHAEL; Ft. Andes; 1778.
John APPLE; Near Ft. Henry; Nov 1775.
Mrs. John ARCHER; Near Ft. McDowell; Nov 1757.
Joe ARCHER; Near Ft. Jackson; 1753.
Andrew ARMSTRONG; Near Ft. Antes; May 1778.
Lt. Edward ARMSTRONG; Ft. Granville, Mifflin Co., PA; 1756.
James ARMSTRONG; Ft. Augusta; Oct 1755.
James ARMSTRONG; Near Ft. Antes; June 1777.
John ARMSTRONG; Near Shamokin, PA; 1744.
Woodworth ARNOLD; Near Shamokin, PA; 1744.
Capt. ASHTON; Kentucky; 1782.
Capt. ASHLEY; Kentucky; 1793.
James ASKFORD; Ten Mile Creek, VA; June 1774.
Job BACON; McMichael's; Dec 1755.
Joseph BAKER;
Mrs. BAKER; Tennessee; Aug 1793.

I am trying to find the parents of Susannah Foote, she who married Stephen (later about Rev.) Ashby about 1768 and was captured by the Shawnee in the early part of 1789 somewhere on the Ohio River. Stephen Ashby was born about 1746 in Virginia, the son of Elizabeth and Thomas Ashby Jr. Stephen was raised in Virginia, one of at least seven known children of Thomas and Elizabeth Ashby. In about 1768 he married Susannah Foote either in Virginia or Pennsylvania. During the Revolutionary War they lived in Cecil Township in Washington County, Pennsylvania

I have never been able to locate Susannah Foote's parents, siblings, or those of her children who returned to live with the Shawnee after she was returned to white society. Am really stymied and would like to find this part of the trail.

I'd be grateful for any help.


Gordon's History of Pennsylvania, p 624.

"On the 19th of March 1764, the Indians carried off five people from within nine miles of Shippensburg, and shot one man through the body. The enemy, eleven in number, were pursued successfully by about 100 provinicals. The houses of John STEWART, Adam SIMMS, James McCAMMON, William BAIRD, James KELLEY, Stephen CALDWELL, and John BOYD were burnt. These people lost their grain, which they had threshed out with the intention to send it for safety furthur down among the inhabitants."

[NOTE: Further study on the John Boyd family finds that the mother Nancy URIE and her baby were killed on this date, and five of her children were captured and lived with the Indians until three children, Rhoda, Agnes, and Thomas, were released to Col. Bouquet; one child, David, was returned by his adopted Indian father. Also, it has been questioned if this attack may have been at Carlisle. miriam]

Sounds like you have looked at the lists of returned captives, but mine must be different from yours. What I have are the copies sent to England by Col. Bouquet (we were still English at that time you know).

Volume 39 Fall, 1956 Number 3
Indian Captives Released By Colonel Bouquet
by William S. Ewing

(I got this from:
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
Library and Archives Division
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburg, PA 15222-4200
it only cost $6.40 and that includes S/H)

for Boyd I have

List C
November 30, 1764
List of Necessaries furnished to the Captives of Pennsilvania
Fort Pitt NOv ye 30th 1764
No. Names
11 Tho Boyd 1 shoe pack, 1 blanket
13 Andrew Sims 1 leggings, 1 shoe pack
1 Sarah Boyd 1 leggings, 1 shoe pack, 1 blanket

List A
November 30, 1764
Return of Necessaries furnished to the undermentioned Captives delivered to their Friends at Fort Pitt. Novr ye 29th 1764
No Names We the underwriters do
acknowledge to have received
at Fort Pitt, the Captives &
Necessaries as against our
Names respectively the 29th
of November 1764
15 Mary Stewart 1 shirt, 1 leggings,
1 shoe pack,
1 blanket John Martin
(my note, a lot of the captives had little, so they were given some clothing out of the fort stores, and their relatives or friends paid the fort later. John Martin signed for:
William, James, Martha Martin,
John Fisher, Mary Stewart, McCullough)

List H
A List of the Prisoners at the Lower Shawana Towns
Carried Up to Colonel Boquet Commander at Fort Pitt
James Stewart
Saley Boyles & Brother

List D
November 30, 1764
List of Captives taken by Indians in Augusta County, Virginia going home under the Care of Col. McNeill, Vollunteers, with a Return of the Necessaries delivered to them at Muskingum & ft. Pitt.
There is a John Burd which I assume is Bird and not Baird

So.....where did you get your lists? I ask because someone who maybe should be on the list, is not on mine. So I am trying to find if there are other lists.
Also, some of the children did not know their names so used their Indian names, or just their first name, or were listed such as "girl with sore knee".



Thanks for the reference mentioning the children and supplies. Am anxious to obtain a copy. What I have is a not too readable copy (and old script) of the 21 January 1765 New York Mercury - listing the children from Pennsylvania and north and south Virginia to be returned by Col. Henry Bouquet to Fort Pitt and Carlisle.

My ancestor William, the oldest child, was a sibling to the Boyd children.

One McCULLOUGH in his narrative relating to the BOUQUET campaign states: "Rhoda BOYD and Elizabeth STUDIBAKER escaped from the whites and went back to the Indians. Mary JEMISON, who had married among them, fled with her half-breed children, and hid until the troops left the country.

Children of John BOYD and Nancy URIE. Nancy was murdered by the Indians along with a small babe on 10 Feb 1756 - probably near Carlisle. (John Boyd - Daughters of the American Revolution.)

1. Sarah 'Sally' Boyd b. 1740 (oops, I had forgetten to mention her.); I have nothing further.

2. William Boyd b 1742 m Nancy Agnes Black - lived in Somerset County, PA; he was not captured. This is my line and I have documentation of the descendants.

3. David Boyd b 1743, d 16 Jul 1831 in Washington County, PA, m Elizabeth Henderson. He was returned to his father John BOYD in Carlisle by the old Indian who captured and raised him as his son. (David Boyd - Daughters of the American Revolution.) This family is well documented.

4. John Boyd b 1745 in Cumberland County, PA. I have nothing further.

5. Rhoda Boyd b 1748 in Cumberland County, PA. She was captured by the Indians and lived with them, escaped from the Bouquet troops to return back to her Indian family and later agreed to return home to Carlisle. Rhoda m Robert Smiley b 1732 in Scotland and they later resided in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. I have documented several lines of her children.

6. James Boyd b 1750. I have nothing further.

7. Thomas Boyd - I have nothing further.

Mary, I have a number of Pennsylvania County Histories which I scant for 'Indian Captives'. Some of the accounts have a slight variance - and may mention additional names, but I believe they are all worth to note. Miriam

What started me on all this was a book written about Jackson County Tennessee saying Henry Turney and Josiah Ramsey had land on Martin's Creek (which they did) and that they had both been Indian Captives. Since this is my Henry Turney I began to try to find the proof of this statement - found that Josiah Ramsey was an Indian captive as a child - but cannot find anything about Henry Turney.

During the French and Indian War and Pontiac's War he was living on North Branch of Shenandoah River near where Stoney Creek flows into it, near Edinburg, VA. This is not far from Augusta County, but ended up in Shenandoah county. (earlier was Frederick, Dunmore, etc.)

He comes from a German speaking family and we spell the name Turney, but in Swiss records it was Thuny. Two of his uncles stayed in Pennsylvania with some of their families moving west to Hannestown/Greenburg area. Some go by Turney and some by Dorney. (Dorney Park in Allentown Pa was land of one of them). So that confuses things a bit.

Could you check your lists for both PA and VA captives and see if there is anything on a Turney? Someone said an old Philadelphia newspaper listing had a John Turney of PA as a captive, but they can not find their copy now.

I have been round and round with this. If there was a Turney captured either in PA or VA I would like to have that information. I do know that around the Greensburg PA area there were attacks, and that the area near Woodstock/Edinburg VA also had an attack - think that one was on the Painter family who lived about 3 miles from the Turneys. So it is possible that a Turney was taken at either site.

So many of the children on the list use their Indian names, or are listed as Dutch John - could that be a PA John Turney? There is a Henry listed as captive - but is that a first or last name? There was a Henry family.

See my problem? Any help appreciated. I know the newspapers gave out names at the time, but how to get copies?

Some other names associated with Henry Turney - his brother Peter Turney Jr in 1774 was at Battle of Point Pleasant with Shelby. Henry and Peter Jr in 1774 had land on German Creek of Holston River (this near Bristol TN/VA). On 1777 petition from Washington Co VA are Henry and Peter Turney, John Teeter and John Beeler their brother-in-laws, Josiah Ramsey and his sons.

Sevier was an associate of Peter Turney Jr (Peter was a surveyor, among the first in what became Tennessee). In Virginia, the Turneys lived next to Abraham Bird and his Hawkins son-in-law, Sevier married a Hawkins and lived about 1 1/2 year at Woodstock, VA.....

I understand a Shelby, and Tom Ramsey were among the soldiers who went to get the captives. So Henry Turney did know and live among some of these names I find when researching captives.

He also for many years had land next to a Peter Looney and his oldest daughter married a John Looney who was part Indian. One of the Looneys had been at one time a captive.

The Looneys connect to Cooper and Fox who were also part Indian.

Cooper family lived near the Turneys in Virginia....also a Barger, Nuland/Newland, Koontz, lots of Millers since Woodstock land was owned by one of them......

Just throwing some names at you. It seems several of these families had connections to either part Indians or Indian fighters.....


By Doctor Wing - Pennsylvania Archives, Vol II, p 375

"John POTTER, the sheriff of Cumberland County, who resided in which had been ravaged, gathered some companies to resist the assailants, but it was only to witness the burning buildings, bury the dead and form a gathering of the fugitives; the nimble foe was always at a distance on some other depredations before the pursuers reached any point where they had been. James SMITH (a brother-in-law of William SMITH, the justice and commissioner on the road), a youth of eighteen, had been captured with several others while engaged in conveying provisions along the road, and a still larger number up the Susquehanna was slain and driven in. Twenty-seven plantations were reported as utterly desolated in the southwestern part of the valley and vicinity, and no prospect seemed to be before the people but that of being given up to the will of the savages."

By Doctor Wing - Pennsylvania Archives, Vol II, p 375

"John POTTER, the sheriff of Cumberland County, who resided in which had been ravaged, gathered some companies to resist the assailants, but it was only to witness the burning buildings, bury the dead and form a gathering of the fugitives; the nimble foe was always at a distance on some other depredations before the pursuers reached any point where they had been. James SMITH (a brother-in-law of William SMITH, the justice and commissioner on the road), a youth of eighteen, had been captured with several others while engaged in conveying provisions along the road, and a still larger number up the Susquehanna was slain and driven in. Twenty-seven plantations were reported as utterly desolated in the southwestern part of the valley and vicinity, and no prospect seemed to be before the people but that of being given up to the will of the savages."

History of Cumberland County, PA - 1768

An occurrence which might have resulted seriously for the settlers was the murder of ten friendly Indians in the lower part of Sherman's Valley, on Middle Creek, in January 1768, by Frederick STUMP and an employee of his named Hans EISENHAUER (John Ironcutter). The authorities captured the murderers and placed them in jail in Carlisle, although the warrant for their arrest charged that they be brought before the chief justice at Philadelphia. That step the people of Cumberland County resisted, claiming it an encroachment upon their rights to try the men in the county where the crime was committed.They were detained at Carlisle until the pleasure of the authorities at Philadelphia could be ascertained, and were rescused by a large armed party on the morning of the 29th of January, four days after the arrest. The prisoners were carried away over the mountains and were never afterward found, though it was the opinion that they got away and took refuge in Virginia. The matter was finally dropped.

History of Cumberland County, PA, 1886

There were a number of blockhouses in Mifflin Township. One of the oldest was said to be located on the creek near the mouth of Brandy Run.

During the Revolution there lived, in the Brandy Run region, the celebrated Capt. Samuel BRADY, the Indian fighter and commander of a company of rangers. He was the grandson of Hugh BRADY, the elder, who settled in Hopewell Township. There was also living in this section, it is said, one Joseph AGER (AIGER), more familiarly known as "Joe AIGER", who returning one day to his home (about 1755), found his father and mother murdered by the Indians. Over their dead bodies, it is said, as of BRADY, that he swore eternal enmity against all Indians, and that he would take a hundred of their scalps for each parent who had been murdered. Tradition states that he fulfilled his oath, and that he would wander through the wilderness as far west as the Allegheny River and the valley of the Ohio.

Rupp - Indian Wars

"May 13, 1757, William WALKER and another man were killed near McCormick's Fort at Conodoguinet." (Cumberland County, PA)

In Cumberland County, PA the early settlers were annoyed by the Indians and consequently settled in groups as much as possible for self-protection. One of these was a place called Roaringtown, on the bank of the Conodoguinet, near a fine spring. An uncle of Judge CLENDENIN, late of Hogetown, went in the company of two others while to watch a deer lick in the dusk of the evening when they were fired upon by Indians in ambush. CLENDENIN was wounded and later died from loss of blood.

History of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 1886

Among the pioneers who settled at an early date in the upper portion of Newton Township - Newville - were the Moorheads. The name of John MOORHEAD is found in the tax list of 1750. One of the earliest of this family was Fergus MOORHEAD, who went westward in 1769 and purchased a large tract of land (patent) two miles west of the present town of Indiana, on the road to Kittanning.

Here he lived until the outbreak of the Revolutionary war. In 1775 he undertook to conduct a man by the name of SIMPSON from his home to Fort Kittanning. Near the Fort they were waylaid by the Indians. SIMPSON was shot and MOOREHAD was taken prisoner, carried to Quebec and sold to the British. When his wife was convienced that some misfortune had befallen him, she started through the wilderness for Cumberland County, with one child in front of her on the horse and one behind her. She went by the way of Fort Ligioner, and reached the Cumberland Valley in safety Just one year after being taken prisoner, MOORHEAD returned to his father's home in Cumberland County from Quebec, he having been exchanged as a prisoner.

Ref: Old Westmoreland - Washington-Irvine Correspondence

A small settlement of Delawares had been established near Fort Pitt. In the spring of 1781 KILLBUCK, the chief sachem of the Delware tribe, with his immediate kindred and families of the BIG CAT, NANOWLAND and a few other chiefs who remained friendly to the American cause, took possession of a small island at the mouth of the Allegheny river, opposite Ft. Pitt. Members of the settlement were of service in the defense of the frontier.

Two weeks after the infamous slaughter of Gnadenhuetten, the Chartiers settlement militiamen assembled again and marched toward Pittsburg to kill the Delawares who were living on KILLBUCK Island. The attack was made on Sunday morning March 24, 1782. On the Island was an officer with a small guard of regular soldiers. They were surprised by the Chartiers men and made prisoners. Several were killed, including NANOWLAND, the friend of BRADY, and one other who held a captain's commission. CHIEF KILLBUCK and most of his band escaped in canoes to Ft. Pitt, where Col. GIBSON was in temporary command. One of the two warriors who fled to Sandusky was chief BIG CAT.

Franklin County, PA

George POMEROY (PUMROY) and his wife, Margaret, resided near Letterkenny, Pennsylvania.

A son Thomas POMEROY, born 1733, was a farmer and resided on his farm two miles east of Roxbury. In 1763 the Indians made a raid along the North Mountain, and his wife and two children were killed. These victims were buried on the eastern side of the 'State Road', and over their graves at a later time a barn was built over their graves.

Another son John POMEROY went to Westmoreland County, Pa and was so distinguished in resisting the inroads of the Indians during the Revolutionary period that he became known as "the Indian Killer." He married Hannah Graham.

Franklin County, PA

John DIXSON (DICKSON), was born in Scotland in 1690, of the Clan Argyle. He came to the Conococheague Valley in 1735. He and his wife had nine children.

Son John DIXSON was killed by the Indians near the confluence of the two branches of the Conococheague.

Son William DIXSON, born in 1732, was nine years old when he was stolen by the Indians and concealed in a cave near his home. Later he was brought to his parents by a friendly squaw. He served until the close of the French and Indian war and in Fulton County, near Dunwoody, his entire command was massacred with the exception of only Sergeant DIXSON and two others escaping their lives.

Franklin County, PA

Three CULBERTSON brothers, Joseph, Alexander and Samuel, were born in 'Culbertson Row', at Ballygan, County Antrim, Ireland and settled in the Cumberland Valley, now Franklin County, PA before 1743.

Alexander CULBERTSON formed a company for the defense of the frontier against the French and Indians after the BRADDOCK's defeat in 1755, and was killed in action at Sideling Hill, April 6, 1756.

Samuel served with the Pennsylvania regiment in the French and Indian War, and served as sergeant-major in Col. Hugh MERCER's battalion.

Franklin County, PA

Elizabeth McDOWELL, daughter of William and Mary McDOWELL, married first James HOLLIDAY, born in Ireland, and the son of John HOLLIDAY, a pioneer of Peters township. James HOLLIDAY was a lieutenant of Capt. John STEELE's company, and participated in the Kittanning expedition in 1756. He commanded a detachment to the mountains west of Fort Loudon, June 9, 1757, and was surprised and killed by the Indians in the Big Cove.

Frontier Forts of PA

On September 13, after the failure at Wheeling, about 70 of the Indians went against the blockhouse of Abraham Rice on Buffalo Creek, within the present township of Donegal, Washington County, PA. The blockhouse was defended by only six men from 2 o'clock in the afternoon until 2 o'clock the following morning. Four Indians were killed and George Felebaum was killed in the blockhouse while peering through a loophole.

Pennsylvania Archives, Vol X

In Washington County a man was killed within a mile of the new county seat on Chartiers Creek, and a dozen persons were captured. Two of the captives, Mrs. Walker and a boy, regained their liberty, but the others were carried to the Shawnee towns on the headwaters of the Big Miami River

In 1785 Thomas Cunningham and his brother Edward jointly owned a farm on the West Fork in present Harrison County, WV. Thomas Cunningham, who had served in the Revolutionary War, very often took furs to the trading past and returned with supplies.

One evening while he was away on such a trip, a young Indian burst into the cabin just as Phoebe and her four children were sitting down to the evening meal. Other Indians surrounded the cabin, killed the children, and Phoebe was made a captive.

The party resided in a cave for two days and then after a two weeks march reached an Indian Village in Ohio. Phoebe lived for three years with the Indians and then one day Simon Girty rode into the village. Phoebe begged him to plea for her ransom, which he succeeded.

After many days she was befriended by a party going to Virginia, and was finally on her way home.

Phoebe was sixteen years old when she and Thomas Cunningham were married and was 25 when captured by the Indians. She returned when 28 and she and Thomas raised another family of children.

A Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in West Virginia is named for her memory.

Reminders of the difficulties of life on the Western Frontier are to be found in the Miller Cemetery located in Donegal Township, Washington County, PA, just off the eastern shore of Dutch Fork Lake Rte 40, midway between West Alexander and Claysville.

A modern granite monument within an iron fence carries this inscription:
"Whoso is heroic will always find crisis to try this edge. Here lie in the peace of God members of the family of Jacob Miller, Sr. and his wife, Mary Miller, the original proprietors of the land, c. 1774, their fellow patriots and, in unmarked graves, other resolute pioneers who established defended, and preserved the western frontiers of Pennsylvania 1776-1783. From These Our Strength."

Included among the restored headstones are:
Jacob Miller Sr., c 1722, Switzerland, slain by Indians, March 31, 1782;

Mary Miller, 1736-1809, wife of Jacob Miller, Sr., pioneer mother;

John Hupp, born 1747, Virginia slain by Indians, March 31, 1782;

Ann Hupp May, 1757(/)-1823, heroine of the raid on Miller's Blockhouse, March 31, 1782.

Franklin County, PA

John ROWE was born 1776 in Castle Pollard, County Westmeath, Ireland, came to America, and settled in 1804 at Greencastle, PA. He served in Captain's Andrew ROBINSON's Company. In 1813 he married Mary WISE, daughter of John and Sarah (ROBINSON) WISE, and granddaughter of Christopher WISE, whose wife was a daughter of William McKINNEY, killed by Indians, April 2, 1757, on his farm near Holliwell papermill, below Chambersburg. Christopher WISE came to Antrim township from Harve-de-Grace, MD.

CAPTURE of John Carpenter - Westmoreland County, PA - 1783

Six Indians in February captured John Carpenter with two horses on the Dutch fork of Buffalo Creek. They crossed the Ohio River at Mingo Bottom and made off with him toward the Tuscarawas villages. Four of the captors were Wyandots, but the other two spoke Dutch and told Carpenter they were Moravians. On the morning of the second day after crossing the river, Carpenter was sent into the woods to get the horses. He found them at some distance from the campfire, mounted one of them, on a sudden impulse, and rode hard for liberty. He struck the Ohio near Fort McIntosh, went to Fort Pitt, told his story to Colonel Gibson, and then returned to his home in the Buffalo Creek settlement

The Indians attacked the Derry District in Westmoreland County, PA on 1st of April 1781.Colonel John Pomeroy and at least three hired men were at work in the field when they were fired upon by Indians. One of the men was killed. Pomeroy fled to his cabin, while the two hired men ran for Fort Barr, about a mile away. Only one of the men reached the fort and sounded the alarm to the few men who were at the fort. Two of them, James Wilson and James Barr, mounted horses and rode to Pomeroy's assistance.

Although Wilson and Barr found Indians skulking about Pomeroy's barn, they made a dash for the dwelling and entered it unharmed. There they found that Pomeroy and his wife Hannah had been making a gallant defense for nearly three hours. The Indians then left the area, and the Pomeroy children were drawn from their hiding places from under the floor and loft.

The third hired man was never found.

Pennsylvania Archives, Vol V

In the spring of 1778 the Indians came down again, across the Kiskiminetas and the Conemaugh. On the 28th of April a score of rangers were surprised by a superior force of Indians in the forest and were defeated after a hard fight. Nine of the rangers were slain and their bodies left behind: Captain Hopkins was slightly wounded, and four Indians fell.

It is supposed that this is the combat in which Ebenezer Finley took part (described in Dr. Joseph Smith's 'Old Redstone'). Ebenezer, who was the son of the celebrated pioneer preacher Rev. James Finley, was serving a tour at Fort Wallace as a member of a small militia company from the Monongahela Valley. An alarm was sounded at the fort by a horseman that Indians were in the vicinity, and that he left two men and a woman coming in through the woods afoot. Eighteen or twenty militiamen sallied forth to their rescue, and at a distance of about a mile and a half from the fort they fell into an Indian ambush. Finley saved himself by sacrificing the life of another. Rev. James Finley was in Philadelphia at the time, and at the very hour of the ambush was affected by a strong impression that his son was in danger.

Pennsylvania Archives, Vol V.

The Indians first raided the nothern border of Westmoreland County, PA during the harvest of 1777. North of the Kiskiminetas a few men were killed or captured, and the Blacklick settlers fled away to Fort Wallace with their wives and cattle. Among the fugitives was Randall Laughlin, whose horses escaped from the pasture at Fort Wallace and returned to the Blacklick farm. Laughlin ventured back after them and was accompanied by four neighbors: Charles Campbell, a major of the militia; two brothers Gibson, and a man of the name Dixon. After arriving at the cabin the men were resting - September 25th - and were suprised and surrounded by a band of Indians, probably Wyandots, led by a Frenchman. The settlers surrendered, on the promise that their lives would be spared.

Major Campbell and his companions were taken to Quebec, where they were liberated on exchange in the fall of 1778. Dixon and one of the Gibson brothers died on shipboard during the voyage to Boston, but the other three returned to Westmoreland.

"Narrative of Indian Depradations in Pennsylvania 1770-1777", by John Crawford (1772-1831)

Continued from previous post:

"Arthur Crawford, my father's brother, was taken prisoner about the same time but by a different party of Indians. I have heard my father say he was about 14 years of age when he was taken and he was two years older than my father, who was born on the 6th of August 1744. From this he must have taken about 1756. When McKinney (John, previous post) came in he brought the news that Arthur Crawford was living and that he had seen him at Fort Duquesne, that he was amongst the Dellaway nation of Indians.

"The cricumstance of the capture of Arthur Crawford was as follows: (to wit), he was in the company with his uncle of name of Lowther, when the Indians came upon them. Lowther having a rifle, he shot down one of the Indians, after which they were both taken. Lowther was stripped naked and tied to a cabin. Arthur Crawford was tied to a tree at a short distance, where he could see all that was going on....

"Arthur Crawford, after seeing the horrid cruelities practiced on his uncle, was taken to Fort Dusquesne, and was adopted into the family of the noted Indian Chief White Eyes. This White Eyes afterwards embraced the Christian religion and had a son educated at Princeton College, New Jersey.

"About the time of the capture of Arthur Crawford, there was one Thomas Lynn tomahawked and scalped by the Indians, and left for dead. My father was on a hill at some distance and observed the whole transaction. Lynn recorvered but lost his sight. Isaac Lynn, the brother of Thomas, was taken about the same time. He was about the age of my uncle Arthur Crawford, and after they had been prisoners several years, they agreed to run away from the Indians together, but Lynn had become so attached to the Indians that he divulged the secret and had like to have cost my uncle lis life.

"White Eyes, my uncle's Indian father took all the skins of my uncle's killing for the first two years. After that he let him hunt for himself, and he became the greatest hunter and trapper of the day.......He used the same mode of hunting (stocking head) that a neighbor Michael DeBolt used, who had been a long-time prisoner with the Indians.....

"Arthur Crawford continued to live with the Indians for seven years, and came in with his two horses loaded with skins.

"When he came home, his mother was dead and the family scattered... Pontiack's war breaking out shortly after the return of Arthur Crawford, he was commissioned Captain of a ranging company and the people had great expectations from his services, but in this they were disappointed, for shortly afterwards he caught the smallpocks and died, together with his sister Mary.

"Uncle Arthur was about five feet eight inches high, square built, and very active and strong; he could carry a large buck on his back for several miles with great ease; that shortly after he was taken by the Indians, his Indian father - White Eyes - had his hunting camp near where Brownsville (PA) now stands; and that in the morning when Arthur was starting out to hunt, White Eyes would give him as much sausage stuft in bear's gut as he would lap around his fingers and tell him, Boys must not eat much, for if they did, they would never make good hunters."

"Narrative of Indian Depradations in Pennsylvania 1770-1777", by John Crawford (1772-1831)

"My grandfather John Crawford was an immigrant from Scotland and settled and improved a tract of land near where Chamberburgh now stands, where he died in the year 1740, leaving a widow, four sons, and one daughter, namely George, Arthur, William, Mary, and John. The widow afterwards married John McKinney (who was likewise an emigrant from Scotland), by whom she had three sons and a daughter, namely James, Robert, Joseph, and Elizabeth. John McKinney sold his plantation and removed to Big Kanalloway near where Hancock Town now stands, where shortly afterwards his house was burned by Indians and himself taken prisoner. The family bible was burned which the children's ages were recorded.

McKinney knew the Indian that took him. They had a long race, and when the Indian took hold of him he asked that he would not be killed. The Indian kept his word and McKinney was taken to Fort Duquesne (now Pittsburgh), and from there to Canada, where the French set him to reaping peas with three other prisoners. This was probably near St. Lawrence or Niagra.

One night the four prisoners took a canoe and made their escape over the river, and after many days made their way to the settled parts of the State of New York. John McKinney had the misfortune to have his shoulder dislocated, and it was not put in until he came to the settlement. They suffered greatly for provisions and were exhausted with fatigue. McKinney returned to his family in eleven months from the day he was taken."The 1740 date of capture is not correct - perhaps about 1756.

Pioneer History of Greene County, Pennsylvania", by L. K. Evans

In 1772 we read that William Morgan settled on the Dunkard bottoms on Cheat River. On the 11th of April, 1778, a party of Indians visited his home and killed his mother and her granddaughter, Mrs. Dillion and her two children, and a young man by the name of Brain, and took Mrs. Morgan (the wife) and her child prisioners. On their way home they passed near Pricket's fort, on Pricket's creek, a few miles above Morgantown (WV). They there bound Mrs. Morgan to a bush and leaving her child with her went away to look for a horse for her to ride. By the aid of her teeth she successed in unloosing her hands, and effected her escape, wandering all that day and night and part of the next day before she found the fort - all the while carrying her babe in her bosom. A day or two after, parties from the fort visiting the spot, found a fine mare lying dead on the ground. They had become so exasperated at the loss of their prisioners that they vented their spleen by stabbing the innocent brute to the heart.

"Indians in Pennsylvania", by Paul A.W. Wallace

LOGAN (TACHNECHDORUS). John, son of SHICKELLAMY (the Iroquois vicegerent at Shamokin) was one of the ten Cayuga sachems or council chiefs of the Iroquois. He came to be known as "John LOGAN" through false analogy with the name of his younger brother "James LOGAN' and then simply as "LOGAN". Like his father, he was a friend of the English. He helped Pennsylvania make the Albany Purchase of 1754. Some of his people were killed by the PAXTON Boys at Conestoga in 1763, but he took no revenge. When, however, in 1774 Daniel GREATHOUSE's men murdered thirteen members of his family at Yellow Creek on the Ohio, LOGAN helped to bring on the Shawnee War (LORD DUNMORE's War). At the Battle of Point Pleasant, he is said to have taken thirteen scalps. His message to Lord DUNMORE at the close of the war, dictated to Simon GIRTY, put on paper to John GIBSON, and transmitted to the public by Thomas JEFFERSON, has become famous as "LOGAN's Lament". David McCLURE described him in 1772 as "the most martial figure of an Indian that I have ever seen." John HECKEWELDER called him "a man of superior talents but of deep Melancholy," to whom life "had become a torment." The tradition that he was murdered by white men is mistaken. On orders from some of the elders among his own people, he was killed about 1786 by his nephew, who explained afterwards to John ADLUM that LOGAN had become presumptuous, "too great a man to live," and that he, the nephew, expected to inherit LOGAN's greatness

Name: Gabriel Jean Pierre CHIASSON
Sex: M
Birth: 12 AUG 1819 in Thibodaux, LA (Thib. Ch.: v. 2, p. 47) 1
The story goes that this man was captured by Indians and later had children by his Indian wife....He later escaped and when the children were older got them to also. One of the children was Amogene Chiasson. Does anyone know the story or the Indian tribe?

This is a quote from a book I have in my possession (1391 pages) "Descendents of Barbara Hochstetler and Christian Stutzman" published by the Gospel Book Store, Berlin, Ohio.
There is an index for descendents of Barbara Hochstetler with marriage partners, an index of family heads by post offices, and an index of ancestors of marriage partners.
I will be glad to do limited look-ups, but be aware we have a hectic schedule.
The rest of the above quote reads "his wife, son Jacob and a daughter, name uknown, were killed and the father and two sons Joseph and Christian were take up the Susquehanna River. The father escaped after three years and the sons were returned by the Indians after five and seven years."

Family names of interest to us are Hochstetler, Stutzman, Yoder, Miller, Baxter

Ref: Pennsylvania Archives:

HOLMES, Samuel of Berks county; in Capt. John Van Etten's company, Col. Stroud's regt; Apr 20, 1789 wounded in the battle with Indians on the frontiers.

Reference: Pennsylvania Archives:

SMITH, George of Bedford county; served in Colonel Piper's regiment; subsequently in Capt. Boyd's ranging company; in June 1781 taken prisoner by the Indians and held in captivity until November 1784.

Ref: Pennsylvania Archives:

SALMON, Joseph of Northumberland county; Capt. in Col. James Murray's battalion on the frontier; taken prisioner by the Indians in 1781 and kept in Canada 2 years.

John McFARRON, soldier, killed by Indians 1782 - PA
Ref: PA Archives: Soldiers

McFARRON, John, killed by the Indians at Piper's Fort in 1782

Ref: Pennsylvania Archives:

COYLE, Manassah of Fayette County (PA); in 1781 in Capt. Orr's Co. on expedition down the Ohio river, and Aug 24, 1781 taken captive by Indians.

Children named of JOHN SNIDER - Indian Captive - probably taken in VA

Noted the following in the genealogy of "John Evans of Dunkard Township, Greene County, PA" by Gordan C. Baker:
Dorcan EVANS, daughter of John and Sarah EVANS, b. 9 July 1755 d. 24 Feb 1827 m. John SNIDER b. April 1743 d. 12 May 1830. The Sniders lived in what is now Cass District, Monongahela County, WV, just a short distance south of John EVANS farm. John SNIDER had been captured by Indians as a young man. He returned after nine years captivity and settled in Monongahela County. John was a farmer. Dorcas and John had thirteen children: Mary "Polly" m. Spencer MARTIN; David m. Elizabeth COTTON; Joseph m. Charlotte TITUS; John, Jr. m. Peggy PRICE; Joshua m. Nancy MILLER; Amos m. Cynthia GARRISON; Elizabeth m. Samuel BILLINGSLEY; Rebecca m. Stephen GAPEN; Elisha m. Edith BRITTON; Dorcas m. John HALL; Elizah m. Barasheba MORGAN; Thomas m. Rebecca TITUS; and Celishiah m. James JONES.

Toward the end of March 1780 a band of Muncy warriors, led by WASHNASH, a notorious bandit, attacked and captured a flatboat going down the Ohio river to Kentucky. Three men were killed and 21 men, women and children were captured.

Pennsylvania Archives, Vol viii, p 159.

Destructions in Moore Township, Northampton County - Jan 1756 - PA

The Indian Chiefs of Pennsylvania" by C. Hale Sipe, A.B.:

In a few days after the Indians over-ran the country from Fort Allen as far as Nazareth, burning plantations and killing settlers. During this same month, the Delawares entered Moore Township, Northampton County, burning the buildings of Christian MILLER, Henry SHOPP, Henry DIEHL, Peter DOLL, Nicholas SCHOLL and Nicholas HEIL, and killing one of Heil's children and John BAUMAN. The body of BAUMAN was found two weeks later, and buried in the Moravian cemetery at Nazareth.

Forts of the Pennsylvania Frontier, 1753-1758", by William H. Hunter:

May 21, 1758, one woman and five children taken from Yellow Breeches Creek;

May 23, 1758, Joseph GALLADY/GALLIDY killed, his wife and one child taken from Conococheague.

'The Indian Chiefs of Pennsylvania", by C. Hale Sipe, A.B.

pp 275,276

On January 27th, a party of Indians from Shamokin made an incursion into the Juniata Valley, attacked the house of Hugh MITCHELTREE, near Thompsontown, Juniata County, killing Mrs. MITCHELTREE and a young man named Edward NICHOLAS. Mr. MITCHELTREE being then absent at Carlisle. The same party of Indians went up the Juniata River to the house of Edward NICHOLAS, SR., where they killed Nicholas and his wife, and captured Joseph, Thomas, Catherine NICHOLAS, John WILCOX and the wife and two children of James ARMSTRONG. While these atrocities were being committed, an Indian named John COTTIES, who had failed in an effort to be chosen captain of the party, took with him a young warrior and went to Sherman's Creek, where the two killed William SHERIDAN and his entire family, thirteen in all. Proceeding down the creek to the home of two old men and an ederly woman named FRENCH, they took the lives of these aged people. COTTIES made a boast afterwards that he and his young companion had taken more scalps than all the others of the party. It will be noted that these massacres took place within the bounds of the purchase of 1754, which so angered the Delawares and Shawnees.

Indian Chiefs of Pennsylvania" by C. Hale Sipe, A.B.:

Following the massacre of the number of the militia at Fort Allen in Carbon County on New Year's Day, 1756, and another raid on the same day, the Delaware chief, TEEDYUSCUNG led a band of about thirty Indians into lower Smithfield Township, Monroe County, destroying the plantation of Henry HESS, killing Nicholas GELMAN and a laborer named GOTLIEB, and capturing Peter HESS and young Henry HESS, son of Peter HESS and nephew of Henry HESS, the owner of the plantation. This attack took place about nine o'clock in the morning. TEEDYUSCUNG's band then went over the Blue Mountains and overtook five Indians with two prisoners, Leonard and William WEESER, and a little while later killed Peter HESS in the presence of his son.

CAMPBELL family Attacked and Captured - July 1775 - Westmoreland County, PA

"Indian Chiefs of Pennsylvania", by C. Hale Sipe, A.B.

Robert Campbell lived with his parents near Pleasant Grove Church in Cook township, Westmoreland County. In July 1775 he and his brothers, William and Thomas, were working in the harvest field when they were captured by a band of Senecas. After capturing the boys, the Indians went to the Campbell home where they killed and scalped the mother and her infant.They also captured the girls, Polly, Isabella and Sarah. The youngest girl, who had difficulty in riding a horse upon which the Indians placed her, was killed a mile from the home. The three boys and two girls were taken across the Kiskiminetas below the mouth of the Loyalhanna, and carried to New York. After four years, the two girls were released and returned to their father. Robert escaped in 1782, and succeeded in returning to his home. At the close of the Revolutionary War, William was exchanged, and also returned home. Thomas was never returned.

"Forts on the Pennsylvania Frontier, 1753-1758", by William A. Hunter:

A party of nineteen Delawares attacked the home of Thomas BAIRD (or Richard Baird sic) and captured nine persons, three of whom they afterward killed, including a son of Captain POTTER, former commander of Fort Loudoun. BAIRD made an escape four days later and on April 27 was brought to Lyttleton by three Cherokees who happened to meet him two miles from the fort. BAIRD's captors had come from the Delaware towns on Beaver River; and one of them, James LINGANOA, was a brother of "INDIAN ISAAC', who had served with the Fort Lyttleton garrison.

"Indian Chiefs of Pennsylvania" by C. Hale Sipe, A.B. p 278:

On March 7th, Andrew LYCANS and John REWALT, settlers in the Wisconisco, or Lykens Valley in Dauphin County (PA), went out early in the morning to feed their cattle when they were fired upon. Hastening into the house, they prepared to defend themselves. The Indians concealed themselves behind a pig-pen some distance from the dwelling. LYCANS' son John, John REWALT and Ludwig SHUTT, a neighbor, upon creeping out of the house, in an effort to discover the whereabouts of the Indians were fired upon and each one wounded, SHUTT very dangerously. At this point Andrew LYCANS discovered an Indian named Joshua JAMES and two white men running away from their hiding place near the pig-pen. The elder LYCANS then fired, killing the Indian; and his party then sought safety in flight, but were closely pursued by at least twenty of the Indians. John LYCANS and John REWALT, although badly wounded, made their escape with the aid of a negro servant, leaving Andrew LYCANS, Ludwig SHUTT, and a boy to engage the Indians. The Indians then rushed upon them, and as one of their number, named Bill DAVIS, was in the act of striking the boy with a tomahawk, he was shot dead by SHUTT, while Andrew LYCANS also recognized two others of the band, named Tom HICKMAN and Tom HAYES, members of the Delaware tribe. LYCANS managed to lead his party to a place of concealment and then over the mountain into Hanover Township for assistance. Andrew LYCANS, however, died from this wounds and exposure. His name has been given to the charming valley of the Wisconisco.

Seeking information regarding my 5th g-grandfather, Capt.
Nicholas Carpenter. Oct 4, 1791 he and son Chrisopher
were killed by Tecumseh's War Party. Capt Carpenter
was stationed at Neal's Fort when he as killed. The place
of the killing was named "Carpenter's Run". He was also
a prominent citizen, serving as justice, sheriff of his
county and a trustee of Randolph Academy of Clarksburg, W.VA. Any information on Capt. Carpenter would be

"Indian Warfare in Western Pennsylvania and North West Virginia at the Time of the Revolution", by Lydia Boggs Shepherd Cruger

Near Fort Henry - Wheeling, WV

Early in August 1782, William NEISINGER and Jacob LEFFLER took a canoe and went down the river spying. At night they reached the mouth of Seattle Grave Creek (painted and dressed like Indians), and there in the willows fastened their canoe and lay down in it and went asleep. In the night, Indians crept up, killed NEISINGER with their tomahawks, and when LEFFLER jumped up to seize a paddle, he received a tomahawk wound, cutting off two small fingers. He jumped out and not being able to swim, kept near the shore and by next forenoon he reached Fort Henry.

John TURNER burned at the stake - Kittanning - 30 July 1756

History of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania", by Smith, 1883.

Fort Granville, which was situated on the Juanita, one mile above Lewistown, was besiged by the Indians July 30, 1756. The force then in it consisted of twenty-four men under the command of Lieut. ARMSTRONG, who was killed during the seige. The Indians having offered quarter to those in the fort, a man by the name of John TURNER immediately opened the gate to them. He and the others, including three women and several children, were taken prisoners. By order of the French commander the fort was burned by Capt. JACOBS. When the Indians and prisoners reached Kittanning, Turner was tied to a black post, tortured.....and was burned. (The "black post" may have been at the mouth of Truby's Run.)

History of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania", Smith, 1883.

Among the other English prisoners brought to Kittanning were George WOODS, father in-law of the eminent lawyer, James ROSS, and the wife and daughter of John GREY, who were captured at Bingham's Fort, in the Tuscarora Valley in 1756. Mr. GREY came out here with Armstrongs's expedition, hoping to hear from his family. These three prisoners were sent from Kittanning to Fort DuQuesne, and subsquently to Canada.

Volume 39 Fall 1956 Number 3
article: Indian Captives Released by Colonel Bouquet by William S. Ewing

List B
Inclosed in Bouquet to Gage, November 30, 1764, Gage Papers, Clements Library, University of Michigan
Return of Necessaries delivered to the Captives of the Northern District of Virginia Fort Pitt Nov 30th 1764
Tavener Ross 1 shirt, 1 shoe pack, 1 blanket
Experience Wood

Would you know where there might be a listing of prisoners released to other places besides Ft Pitt?


History of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania", Smith, 1883.

Chapter VIII - Plum Creek - Exerpts:

There was a house with portholes used as a place of refuse and defense against the Indians. George MILLER and James KIRKPATRICK were in charge when it was attacked one morning (no dates listed, perhaps between 1810-1815). One child in the cradle was killed. Several of the Indians were killed or wounded. George MILLER escaped from the rear of the house, mounted his horse and started for the nearby Clark blockhouse.

Two children, John SLOAN and his sister Nancy SLOAN, were captured about the same time, who were working in the cornfield. They were retained by the Indians for several years and were exchanged near Cincinnati or Sandusky, Ohio and returned home.

Their relatives and some other settlers soon after the capture followed the trail of the Indians to the point where it crossed the Allegheny River above Kittanning.

History of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania", Smith, 1883.

Excerpts: "Blanket Hill" Battle took place in a corn field. Many blankets were found on the ground where Lt. HOGG and his small force were defeated by the superior number - about double - of their Indian foes. Many prisioners and scalps were taken.

Col. ARMSTRONG and eight companies of soldiers was leading an expedition against Kittanning had just enjoyed his victory at Kittanning and regained the prisoners.

When the victors commenced their march they had about a dozen scalps and eleven English prisoners. Part of the scalps were lost on the road, and some of them and four of the prisoners were in the custody of Capt. MERCER, who had separated from the main body, so that on the arrival of the main body at Fort Littleton, Sabbath night, September 14 1756, Col. ARMSTRONG could report to Governor DENNY only seven of the recaptured prisoners and a part of the scalps.

The English prisoners recaptured from the Indians at Kittanning were:

Ann McCORD, wife of John McCORD, and Martha THORN, about seven years old, captured at Fort McCord;

Barbara HICKS, captured at Conolloway's;

Catherine SMITH, a German child, captured near Shamokin;

Margaret HOOD, captured near the mouth of Conagocheague, MD;

Thomas GIRTY, captured at Fort Granville;

Sarah KELLY, captured near Winchester, VA;

and one woman, a boy, and two little girls, who were with Capt, MERCER and Ensign SCOTT when they were separated from the main body, and who had not reached Fort Littleton when Col. ARMSTRONG made his report,

Tom & Bill (Twins) Lewis were on a wagon train in the early 1860s somewhere between Kentucky and Oklahoma-Arkansas. The wagon train was ambushed and the boys were taken and raised by indians.
Looking for anyone with the same storyline.


Is there anyone who can give me the Maliseet view of the captivity of JOHN GYLES, captured in 1689 at Merrymeeting Bay, Maine? He was 9 ys. old at the time & was held for 7 yrs. by the Maliseets, then sold to a French-Canadian family & lived with them for another 3 yrs. before his release. He then joined his family in Boston. Several other family members had been released years previously. John later became an interpretor & hostage negotiator.

I'm writing a chapter in my book concerning my ancestors' relations with American Indians and balance of views is of utmost importance to me. I am African-American with European (earliest American settlers) and American Indian background and really need to communicate with descendants of the Maliseet people in the Maine coast & New Brunswick, Canada areas who have historical information/perspective concerning this incident.

Many thanks!


Damuth Captive- Herkimer/Onondaga/Oneida Co, NY

I'm seeking info about a distant relative: Nicholas Damuth/Demuth/Demuthin and possible descendants. As a child during the Revolutionary War, he was captured near Ft. Herkimer , NY (along with a brother and sister) in 1778 by Onondaga natives. While his brother and sister returned to their Damuth parents after the war, Nicholas had been adopted by an Onondaga chief and chose to stay with the tribe.

am searching for the Indian cativity of Mary Prior from the Greenbrier Area of VA in the early or middle 1700's. She was at the time a young maiden of 14 yrs. Her family had been massacred by Indians and She, her mother and a 6 mo. sibling were taken by the Indians. First they killed the baby, then the mother, and taking Mary, continued on their was to their camp across the Ohio River probably into Ohio. She escaped after about 14 days and hiding by day and traveling at dark she finally made it to a KY fort, where she was adopted by an officier of the fort. The soldiers from the fort had been searching for her ,(the fort could have been in VA). Her father is believed to have been a John Pryor. She returned to the Greenbrier Area where she was said to have some family. She married John Scott from the same area. Later they lived in KY and OH. Phyllis Bush

I am researching my Indian blood heritage on my mother`s side. My GGGgrandmother was taken captive to West Virginia to an Indian camp. Died giving birth to my GGgrandmother, Lavinia. When they brought her back, they gave her to a family named Redman. First name John. Supposedly in Greene Co., Pa., as they did not want her. Lavinia married John Walters, using the name of Lavinia Redman. John Walters owned 2 or 3 farms in Castle Shannon, Pa. My grand Lavinia Gertrude Brown was born in Finleyville, Pa. Any info would be greatly appreciated, as this is my big brick wall. You can e mail me at

Indian Raid in 1735 Virginia Foothills

I am looking for information on my Rhodes Ancestor. (His first name is unknown). He was tomahawked and scalped in his doorway about 1735 during an Indian uprising. His wife and daughter were carried into captivity with other women and children. His sons, Christopher and John hid in the bushes and escaped to a fort. The women were killed because they couldn't keep up with the Indians flight across the mountains, but a chief took a fancy to the daughter and adopted her. Her name may have been Mary. After peace was made, she was returned to her friends. I am a descendant of Christopher Rhodes. He receive a land grant south of the James River in 1768 in Botetourt Co now Rockbridge Co. Virginia. Any information on this family would be appreciated.

Volume 39 Fall, 1956 Number 3
(got my copy from the Historical Society of West. PA in Pittsburgh, PA)
article title: Indian Captives Released by Colonel Bouquet
List B
Inclosed in Bouquet to Gage, November 30, 1764, Gage Papers, Clements Library, University of Michigan
Return of Necessaries delivered to the Captives of the Northern District of Virginia Fort Pitt Nov 30th 1764
Danl Rhoads
Michael Rhoads 1 shirt, 1 blanket

now here is the story as told in:
by Dr. John W. Wayland
ISBN 0-8063-8011-X

(there are photos you might want to see....)
pg 69-71
(I am going to condense it a bit)
In August of 1764 eight Indians and a white man came into the Valley, crossed the upper end of Powell's Fort, and descended upon the home of John Roads, a Mennonite preacher and one of the Massanutten pioneers. The Roads homestead lies in a crescent bend of the South Shenandoah, on the west side of the stream, about five miles northwest of Luray, and directly south of Kennedy's Peak. Bixler's Ferry on the river is near by.
Rev. Mr. Roads and his wife, who was Eve Albright, had a large family of children, some of whom fortunately were not at home when the savages came. Mr. Roads, his wife, and a son were killed at or near the house. Two of the boys were in the cornfield below the house, alongside the river. One of them climbed a pear tree about 150 yards from the house, was discovered and shot in the tree. The other attempted to escape by crossing the river, but was pursued and killed in the stream. To this day that place in the river is called the "Bloody Ford". In the meantime Elizabeth, one of the older daughters, caught up Esther, the baby, in her arms and ran with her first into the barn, thence into a field of tall hemp below the barn, and so on to the river, excaping the vigilance of the Indians. Carrying the child across the river she finally reached the house of a neighbor, Esther grew up and married Dr. Jacob Kaufman. Elizabeth...married Jacob Goehenour. Two boys and two little girls were taken captive and led away northward into the Massnutten Mountain. There one of the boys and both of the girls were killed. The other boy, Michael, after about three years with the Indians, was allowed to return home. He married Ann Strickler, a daughter of Benjamin Strickler. In all, six of the Roads children were killed; seven survived.
Kercheval gives the year of the Roads massacre as 1766, but the tradition in the family has preserved the year as 1764.
(and it goes on to talk about the descendants of the Rhoads/Roads family in 1924 having a reunion, etc. and a memorial was erected at that time to the ones killed in the family).

Thought this might be of interest to you. Since two of the Rhodes boys were released in Nov of 1764, it would seem this all happened earlier than the family claims, or else the boys did not stay 3 years with the Indians.

Mary Turney Miller

Mary Prior and family

In our family history there is a story about the massacre of a Prior/Pryor Family in the Greenbrier Co,VA in abt 1734. The story says that a war party of Indians attacked the Prior family farm and killed many family members and several slaves and capturing Mrs Prior, a baby abt 6months old and Mary a young girl of 14 years. The Indiana killed the baby shortly after capture and then tied Mrs. Prior to a tree and burnt her because she refused to dance around her dead child. They then proceeded with Mary for several days about 9 crossing the Ohio River and continuing on till they reached thrie camp. When the braves left for another raid Mary made her escape and hid by day in hollow logs and traveling by night she made her way to a fort on the Ohio River. The Indians were following her and even stood on the log she was in at one time. She was bitten by a snake and doctored it with leaves,etc. but it laid her up three days. The soldiers were also searching for her, She finally made it to the river and swam across. There she was adopted by an officier but allowed to keep her name. She then was returned to the Greenbrier Area where she married John Scott abt 1768.

Having the impress of the seal of this court over the place where atached by (&), to wit in the outside of the sheet upon wich this certificate begins. In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand & affixed the seal of said court at the place where this sheet is atached to the one above, this 10th day of october A.D. 1833. James Cunningham Clerk

State of Indiana / On the 8th of October 1833 personally appeared in open court Warren county P / In the Circuit Court of said County of Warren now sitting before a court of (?) having unlimited common law and (?) jurisdiction) before judges thereof. Leslie Malone aged sixty eight years, who being duly sworn (?) says that he was living with his fathers family at the comencment of the revolutionary war about seven miles from sunbury & five miles from northumberland, Northumberland County in the state of Pennsylvania & continued to reside there during the first few years of the war & untill he was taken a prisoner by the Indians as hereinafter named - That he was during that time & before, well aquainted with Joseph Alexander now of Montgomery County, State of Indiana, & whose declaration for a pension is hereto annexed, of the date of 19th March 1833, & supplemental declaration of 17th september 1833, both of wich Depondent has heard was, and from personal recollection & from (?) information he states his behalf of facts to be as therein set forth and has no doupt that said Joseph Alexander served in the revolutionary war for the terms & in the manner as stated by him - he recollects at the time to have heard that said Alexander was out under the officers he has named to wit Captains White & McMahan & Commandor Antis all of whom was personolly known to Depondent. Depondent knew his (&) in that service and has heard from them at the time the same statements - he lived about two & a half miles from said Alexander & although he does not now recollect actually to have seen him in the ranks he knows that he was absent for the terms wich he has stated from his fathers hous'e & that it was the current statement of the family of said Alexander & of the neighborhood that he was in the military service of the United States as above stated - From deponents recollection of the periods of said Alexanders absent his supports & believes the term of his service to have been as in his said declaration as set forth - he remembers about the time and afterwards in his return from Indian captivity to have heard of the boat service & campaign to the Ginapee County frequently mentioned in wich said Alexander served as Captain - he knows of the burning of his fathers house as he has stated & saw the smoke of the building in conflagation - shortly after said house was burnt deponent was herding cattle for his father about 25 miles from Northumberland & was then & there taken prisoner by the Indians to the quinnipee country thence to Catterange in lake Erie - On his return from captivity deponents father had had removed to Centre County Pennsylvania within he followed - deponent has been aquainted with said Alexander ever since that time - he knows him to a (&) man & states that he has always been reported in the several neighborhood when he has resided to have been a revolutionary soldier as he states - Deponent now resides in Fountain County Indiana about ten miles from Williamsport the place where he now lives & further said the Francis Malone (whose deposition is hereto annexed) was in the service of the United States in the revolutionary war.
Leslie Malone

I am trying to find info on a supposed Morgan's Treaty. At the time of this treaty, the part Indian children of Charles or William Dragoo who was captured as a young child in 1786 from Prickett's Fort in what is now Fairmont WV, were supposedly returned into the Hayes family at the signing of this treaty. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

"Mrs Dragoo being infirm and unable to travel to their towns, was murdered on the way. Her son (a lad of seven) remained with the Indians upwards of twenty years, --- he married a squaw, by whom he had four children, --two of whom he brought home with him, when he forsook the Indians."
pg 375
Chronicles of Border Warfare -

William Dragoo, son of John and Elizabeth Straight Dragoo was captured in 1786, his mother was killed after breaking a hip. Billy (Indian Billy) lived with the Indians and came home after many years to his WV family after trothers found him in Ohio as a White Indian Chief. His descendants are members of the Dragoo Family Association and are working on his history.

To the best of any of our knowledge, over 100 members, there was no Charles. Indian Billy had two sons and their names were John and Isaac, their mother was Indian. Billy brought them with him and his Indian wife too two girls.

If there is anything to support that there was a Charles to exist in this family, it would be appreciated if that documentation could be made available to the association so we can correct any errors should they exist.

Thank you


In the summer of 1758 a party of Shawnee Indians and four Frenchmen attacked the home of John George Painter(Bender) in the area that is now Shenandoah County, Va. Painter was killed and many captives were taken which included Mrs. Painter, her son Adam and five of her daughters. Adam and Mrs Painter and a younger daughter, returned after 2 or 3 years captivity. A daughter Mary returned with a Michael Copple after 18 years with the Indians. Mary was found traveling with a party of Cherokees by Copple who himself had been a captive in times past. Two daughters never returned and remained with the Indians. ( Painter and Bender) was the same family

Ref: "Indian Captivities or Life in the Wigman", 1851, by Samuel G. Drake, reprinted by Heritage Books. Bowie, MD.

The Chapters relate to the stories of these captives:

Partial List
JOHN ORITZ - Taken: 1528 in Florida; Remained: nine years.

MARY ROWLANDSON - Taken: 10 Feb 1676 from Lancaster, MASS; Remained to 12 April 1676.

QUINTEN STOCKWELL - Taken: 19 Sept 1677 from Deerfield, MASS; Remained: about one year.

SARAH GERISH - Taken: 28 Jun 1689 from Dover, NH; Remained: six months.

ELIZABETH HEARD - Taken: 28 Jun 1689 from Dover, NH; Escaped.

JOHN GLYES - Taken: 2 Aug 1689 from Pemmaquid, ME; Remained: six years.

ROBERT ROGERS - Taken: 27 Mar 1690 from Salmon Falls, NH; Tortured to death.

MEHETABLE GOODWIN - Taken: 27 Mar 1690 from Salmon Falls, NH; Remained: five years.

THOMAS TOOGOOD - Taken: 27 Mar 1690 from Salmon Falls, NH; Fortunate escape.

ELIZABETH HANSON - Taken: 27 Jun 1724 from Dover, NH; Remained: one year and 6 days.

NEHEMIAH HOW - Taken: 11 Oct 1745 from Great Meadows, MASS; Died in captivity.

MARY FLOWER - Taken: 22 Apr 1746 from Hopkinton, NH; Remained: six months.

JOHN FITCH - Taken: July 1746 from Ashby. MASS; Remained: to close of war.

ISABELLA McCOY - Taken: 21 Aug 1747 from EPSON, NH; Remained: to close of war.

PETER WILLIAMSON - Taken: 2 Oct 1754 from Delaware Forks, PA; Remained: one year and 3 months.

JEMINA HOWE - Taken: 27 Jul 1755 from Hinsdale, NH; Remained: about five years.

About 1755, ROBERT TUCKER was scalped and killed in Dunmore/Shenandoah Co., VA. by Chippewa Indians from Michigan. His three sons were captured and taken back to Michigan with them. Only WILLIAM TUCKER survived to adulthood. At age 18 he was freed, so returned to Shenandoah where he married CATHERINE HAZEL/HASSEL in 1773. They made their home and raised a family at Fort Detroit where he served as official interpretor between the Indians and whichever nationality was in power at various times(French, British, or Americans). Does anyone know anything about the massachre c. 1755 in Shenandoah Co., Va. wherein ROBERT TUCKER was killed?

translated from German to English by the North Carolina Historical Commission, originally appearing in the Daily Diaries of the Moravians of "The Old Dutch Fort" of Bethabara, in modern-day Winston-Salem, NC, rings any bells... can anyone add further information?

1755 - The Henry Banner family from Town Fork came into the fort at Bethabara for protection.

May, 1756 - Henry Banner and other families along the Fork asked to come into the fort for protection. A raiding party of approximately 400 Cherokee were in the area. They remained for about 6 weeks.

1756 - March, near the home of Colonel Joseph Winston, on the Town Fork was a blockhouse, and in March 1756, the people of Town Fork were warned of a possible Indian raid. Most inhabitants went either to Bethabara or to the blockhouse for safety. Two men were killed near the blockhouse the following day. The Indians were spread over all the area, and in the morning Barnett Lashley and a Mr. Robinson left the blockhouse to go feed the stock and both were killed. Lashley's daughter went to their home to milk the cows. She saw nine Indians who immediately came after her. She fled toward Town Fork Creek and upon getting to the creek she jumped in, waded down the creek until she came to a bank that was caved in. She hid under this cutback and waited. She was not discovered by the Indians. After dark she returned to the blockhouse and was told of her father's death.

July, 1756 - Indians again in the Town Fork region.

April, 1757 - Town Fork settlers asked the fort at Bethabara for help against the Indians, many Cherokees in the area.

1759 - February, The settlement on Town Fork came under Indian attack. It was with great difficulty that the settlers repulsed the attack, and prevented the Indians' attempt to destroy this part of the Town Fork settlement.

1759 - March, many Cherokees in the region.

1759 - Cherokee raids reached as far east as Smith River in Rockingham County. A woman and child were kidnapped and were carried to the Cherokee Town. The woman and child were the wife and son of Henry Hicks.

1761 - Wife and son of Henry Hicks who is now deceased regained when General Waddell marched on the Cherokee Towns.


The reason for my interest is that the son mentioned was John Hicks, who began my Hicks line in Stokes County, NC. I would like to know the identity of his mother, as well as finding out what happened to her. Due to his father's death, John Hicks was bound out to Benjamin Merrell (Captain of the Regulators, Jersey settlement, Rowan Co.) at age 15, and I know nothing more of his mother after Henry Hicks' estate was settled by Henry's brother David. She just disappeared.

I descend from John Hicks through my great grandmother, Parthenia Catherine Hicks, who married Joshua Calvin Southern in the Meadows community of central Stokes County.

Anyone who can offer any help with this, please try. It will be greatly appreciated.

Michael Tuttle

William and Elizabeth (Webb) Chambliss/ess came to Texas in a covered wagon abt 1865. The indian attacked their wagon train, killing William and Elizabeth and a baby son. This attack came as they entered Texas. Two other Children escaped by hiding in the bushes. The state of Tx says that there were no major Indian attack after 1850-60. I do not know where they are buried. Large numbers were killed and some seem to think they were buried in one large grave. If any one has any knowledge of this attack, please let me know. Julia


JOHNSON, BRITTON (ca. 1840-1871). Britton (Britt) Johnson was born about 1840, probably in Tennessee. He became a legend on the West Texas frontier after the summer of 1865, when he went out onto the Llano Estacadoqv in pursuit of Indians who had kidnapped his wife and two children in the Elm Creek Raidqv of October 1864. Johnson was a slave of Moses Johnson, a landholder in the Peters colony.qv Since he ran freight and his own wagon team after the Civil War,qv he probably had at least a minimum of reading, writing, and math skills. Although he was legally a slave, he served Moses Johnson as a sort of foreman of the Johnson ranch, with unlimited freedom to perform his duties. He was also allowed to raise his own horses and cattle. After the Elm Creek Raid, Johnson returned to find his son Jim dead and his wife and children taken, along with other captives. He spent until the summer of 1865 looking for Mary Johnson and his two daughters at reservations in Oklahoma and at scattered forts throughout the Texas frontier. Sources differ as to the rescue of the captives, who included Johnson's family and Elizabeth FitzPatrick (see CLIFTON, ELIZABETH ANN). Some sources claim that in the spring of 1865 Johnson went to live with the Comanches and managed to arrange for a ransom. But most likely, his family was ransomed and rescued in June 1865 by Comanche chief Asa-Havey as part of ongoing peace talks. Mrs. FitzPatrick was rescued by United States troops in November 1865. After his adventures among the Comanches and Kiowas, Johnson moved his family to Parker County, where he served as a freighter and teamster hauling goods between Weatherford and Fort Griffin. On January 24, 1871, about twenty-five Kiowas attacked a wagontrain manned by Johnson and two black teamsters four miles east of Salt Creek in Young County. A group of nearby teamsters from a larger train of wagons reported that Johnson died last in a desperate defense behind the body of his horse. Teamsters who buried the mutilated bodies of Johnson and his men counted 173 rifle and pistol shells in the area where Johnson made his stand. He was buried with his men in a common grave beside the wagon road.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Robert G. Carter, On the Border with Mackenzie, or Winning West Texas from the Comanches (Washington: Eynon Printing, 1935). Carrie J. Crouch, Young County: History and Biography (Dallas: Dealey and Love, 1937; rev. ed., A History of Young County, Texas, Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1956). J. Evetts Haley, Fort Concho and the Texas Frontier (San Angelo Standard-Times, 1952). Kenneth F. Neighbours, "Elm Creek Raid in Young County, 1864," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 40 (1964). Rupert N. Richardson, The Frontier of Northwest Texas, 1846 to 1876 (Glendale, California: Clark, 1963). J. W. Wilbarger, Indian Depredations in Texas (Austin: Hutchings, 1889; rpt., Austin: State House, 1985).

Hi Julia,
I saw your posting on the Indian Captives message board. Like you, I too had an ancestor who had problems with Indians about the same time period as you, in Texas. My gggrandfather, Banion Greenhaw was traveling from Louisiana, moving to Arkansas, and entered Texas, probably to visit with his brother William who was living around Henderson, Texas at the time. During this trip, Banion's wagon was attacked and Indians kidnapped his 4 year old daughter and she was never heard from nor seen again. I have been trying to pin point a more specific date for this ggrandmother, Elizabeth (Banion's daughter) was born in Louisiana in 1866 and Banion show's up in census records in Ark in 1870. This was Elizabeth's sister who was captured. So, I know that this occurred between 1867 and the spring of 1870, probably 1867-1869 and somewhere in northeast Texas. I am thinking that it may possibly have been around Jefferson, Texas. I was there once at their musuem and they had records stored in a display that contained many files of disturbances with Kiowas at that time, raids and that sort of thing, dated well up into the 1860's. The state of Texas has NO business telling you that there were no Indian problems 1850-1860....there were many! You may find some information on the Texas handbook encyclopedia, it's online and enter the word "indian captives"....has over 100 listings of families. When I was at Jefferson, at the musuem, at the time, I didn't know I had an ancestor who'd been kidnapped by Indians, or I would have poured through those files with a fine tooth comb.
Can you tell me what part of Texas your family was traveling in whenever the wagon train was attacked? Maybe by chance my Banion was traveling with them...??? Do you know any of the other families names who were in the train?
I have been away from my research for a long time, but, my next project was to search the newspapers for that time era. I know that there were some then that are on microfilm now and I had viewed a listing of them through Austin, the capital. I hope to run across something there. If I find anything, and it will be after the holidays, I will surely keep you in mind. Also, have you tried the message board for Texas, or some of the counties?
I hope to hear from you as to the location, if you have knowledge of this, of your families wagon train, the approximate place or where was their destination......maybe we can put 2 and 2 together and find some more clues on this.
Kindest regards,
Penny Myers

Notes from "Indians in Pennsylvania", by Paul A.W. Wallace:

TEEDYSCUNG. A Delaware "king." He was not chiefly lineage, but because of his unusual abilities and influence among the Indians in the Susquehanna Valley he became known among white men as "King of the Delawares." He was born about 1700 in New Jersey near Trenton, the son of Old Captain HARRIS. He earned a small living as a broommaker, living on the edge of the white settlement. About 1730 he moved to the Forks of the Delaware (the land in the angle between the Delaware and Lehigh rivers). He protested the Walking Purchase, by which this land was alienated from the Indians in 1737. Joining the Moravians at Gnadenütten (Leighton), he was baptized in 1750 under the name of GIDEON. In 1753, at the invitation of the Iroquois, he led a band of Delawares to Wyoming (Wilkes-Barre). During the French and Indian War he and his warriors attacked Pennsylvania settlements. He took part, however, in peace conferences at Easton in 1756, 1757, and 1758, claiming at one time to speak for eighteen nations. At the Easton Conference of 1758 the Iroquois put in in his place by making peace with the English on behalf of the Delawares over his head. After the war the Iroquois appointed him their agent at Wyoming with instructions to keep the valley free of encroachments by white men. When the Susquehannah Company of Connecticut sent 119 armed men in 1762 to occupy the valley, TEEDYUSCUNG warned them off. Next year (1763) on April 19 he was burned to death in his cabin.

A family story states that between 1864-1870, Banion Greenhaw was traveling from Louisiana to southwestern Arkansas and likely went into a part of eastern Texas to visit his brother. He was traveling in a covered wagon with his wife Mary Green Greenhaw and their small children. His wagon was attacked by Indians and a small daughter was kidnapped and they never saw nor heard from her again. Any information on any raids or skirmishes for the eastern or north-eastern Texas area and time period 1860's -early 1870's will be greatly appreciated. Greenhaw information would be great! Thanks!


John HUDESS, soldier; Ellena CLARK; Richard RODGERY, soldier; William MARSHALL, soldier; Joseph WOODS, soldier; BATTOE men (3); John HADLEY, artificer (4); William DAVIS, soldier; Frederick DART, soldier; James RODGERS, soldier; John CARTER, Thomas CAMP, soldier; Ship Carpenters (3); John LANGDALE; John CAMPBELL; Christopher GROVES, soldier; John WELCH, Thomas KALHONN; Thomas MITCHELL; Ephraim BLANE; John OWENS; Hugh CRAWFORD: William THOMPSON; Dennis DROGHARTY;Hugh McSWINE; John FINLEY; Richard McMANHAN; John HART; John CRAVEN; James CRAMPTON; William ARMSTRONG; Articers (4); James MELIGAN; William TRENT; George CROGHAN; John DONCASTLE; Philip BOYLE; Arthur HAMILTON; Edward GRAHAM; William McCALLASTER; John ORMSBY; Thomas CAMEY (artificer); Leonard YOUNG (baker) soldier; David NIGLEY, soldier; Abraham MILLER, soldier; Ralph PHILLIPS, lieutenant; Philip PHILLIPS; John BOYS (BOYD), soldier; Thomas SHEPPARD, artificer;

John LEACH; John CUSICK, soldier; Nancy THOMMAS; Francis CLINE, soldier; Peter ROTTERER of ye Train; Humphrey KIES; Michael LONGSOLD; Charles BOYLE; Patrick McQUAID; Thomas SMALL; John MEATCALFE; Robert PARRIS; Hugh READ; Thomas BRIGHTON; Conrad HOUSE; William SPLANE; Robert READ; Neil McCOLLOM; John WORK; Dennis McGLAULIN; George SNIGH; John NEAL; Arthur CURVENT; Dennis HALL; Coopers and soldiers (5); Patrick McCARTY; Christopher MILLER; John McCANTASH; William HATH; William VINSON; Woodrow RAMSEY & CO.; George WHITE; Christopher NEGLY; Martain SMITH; Eleanor CRAWFORD; James GILBEY; John FIELD; William GUTTERY; William BROWN; John DAYLEY; John DOUCASTLE; Captain MATHERS & servant; Daniel SALLER; Jacob NYERS; Philip BYERLEY; Frederick SLIGH; John HAYTON; Christopher LIMES; John ARMSTRONG, soldier; Frederick KLINGLE; Samuel SHUNNER; Henry HARSHAW, soldier; Vendot CRAMER; Joseph BUDWICK; John HILLMAN; Henry FLEGSTAFF; Joseph McMURRAY; Thomas WALKER; John CRAVER; Jacob SENNET; Michael McMURRAY; John MAINS, soldier; Matthew FULNECK; Hugh HENRY; John LINSEY, soldier; Captain BASSETT (Thomas BASSETT, Engineer's Corp);Isaac CONN; Serjeant PIERCE; Rowland PEMBERTON; John SUTTON; William VENIBLE; William CASSADAY; Ambrose NEWTON; Thomas BOX; **CAPTAIN WILLIAM CHAPHAM and servants (4); Captain BARNSLEY and servants (4); The GENERAL's house; Lieut. ROSETIDGE and servants (2); Serjeant MORTON, soldier; John BAMER, soldier.

Total number of inhabitants: 178;
Total number of outlaying soldiers: 43;
Total number of houses:162.

**Captain William CLAPHAM - was a partner with George GROGHAN in some land speculations, and was killed by the Indians. He had bought an Indian for a servant, and being out traveling with him in the woods they met two more Indians, CLAPHAM stopped then and gave each a drink. At a signal from his slave Indian, they all three fell upon him and killed him.

DeHAss Account, 1851:

French fortresses were quitely rising in the wilderness in an attempt for defence against the English. A company of French soldiers had orders to keep intruders out of the Valley of the Ohio - no violence - only to seize their goods.

A party of traders was approached by the soldiers and the party refused to comply with the orders to depart. A fight ensued in which fourteen Indians of the TWIGTEES or MIAMAS were killed and four traders were taken prisoners: Luke ARROWIN (IRWIN), Joseph FORTINER, Thomas BURKE and John PATTON, all citizens of Pennsylvania with a license from the governor of that state, to sell and barter whatever they chose.

Phebe Tucker-Cunningham was taken captive in 1785, Bingamon Creek, near Clarksburg, WV. She was kept as a servant for 3 years, Simon Girty & British Agent, Alexander McKee, bartered for her release. Her 4 little ones were killed before they walked her all the way to present day Columbus, OH. She is a double link for me in my family tree. The story is in many books, but my grandmother told it to me, as her mother did her, through the daughters back to Phebe & Thomas's daughter, Rachel Cunningham-Collins. She has been my inspiration all my life. I hope to make all of her story known, as I have 3 different sources on the incident.She was a petite, 5'2", with auburn hair and a beautiful complexion, that may be why they didn't kill her, her hair was Auburn-red. I KNOW she was a strong woman to have survived and then raised another family, who came to Calhoun County, from Smithville, Ritchie Co. after they left Monogalia Co. I have lots more info, if any one is interested.

m searching for information about the captivity of my ancestor Elizabeth Stevenson, born about 1749, lived in Ohio County, VA with her widowed mother and brother. In the spring of 1764, Elizabeth and little brother Hugh were taken from their farm by Indians. Hugh was killed because he could not keep up with his captors as they fled. Elizabeth was taken to Canada and kept there for over a year. Eventually, some hunters relayed their whereabouts to the family in Virginia and Elizabeth's uncle came and purchased her back from the Indians. I don't know for certain if all the details of this story are true; it was written down by Elizabeth's great-granddaughter.

My gg grandmother Elizabeth (Allman)Graves had a sister who was killed in a 1867 raid near Tarrant or Parker Co., TX.

Sarah Myers was at home alone with her six children when she was killed in a raid and two of her six children taken captive. Mary Hamelton supposedly lived with the indians her whole life, married and had a family. Sarina Myers was returned to her people after a time. I would like to know information about Mary Hamelton and her family. Would also like to know what happened to the other four children? It is thought that they may have been working out in the fields and escaped the raid.

Also, I am looking for a book possibly called "Bad Medicine - Good". But I do not know the author. It is a book of interviews by Indians that took part in raids in that area of Texas and Fort Sills. I am hoping to discover some answers in this book. Can anyone help?

Vicki Walberg
Vacaville, CA

The following was taken from the History of the Kimball Family. It is an account of the Indian attack on the Thomas Kimball home. This took place in Essex Co. Massachusetts

His house was situated on the Boxford road, and its situation can still be located where he lived and prospered for about ten years. He was a mechanic and a thrifty farmer, owning over four hundred acres of land and a large amount of personal property as is shown by the inventory of his estate.

At that time skulking Indians continually annoyed the white inhabitants. The Merrimack river was a pathway; the Indians could make rapid sallies upon the settlements and make their escape without penetrating the forests.
Haverhill had been attacked with all the cruelty of the savages. On the night of 2 may 1676, three well known "converted" (half civilized) Indians, Peter, Andrew and Symon, were intending to kill some parties in Rowley, but the night being far advanced, they wreaked their vengeance on the KIMBALLS.
Thomas KIMBALL was killed by Symon, and his wife and five children, namely, Joanna, Thomas, Joseph, Priscilla, and John were taken captive and carried forty miles into the wilderness, where they remained forty-one days, and were freed without ransom by the friendly offices of the chief Wanalancet, of the Penacook Indians. Her own life and that of her infant were threatened, and twice the fires lighted to burn them. They reached their home 13 June 1676.
Great was the anguish of their friends during their captivity, and on 3 May 1676, her pious parents in Ipswich asked prayers on the Sabbath that they might be delivered. Subsequently she addressed a petition to the Governor and Council that she might be protected from Symon, the Indian, who had threatened to kill her and her children if she returned to her own house. The three Indians were seized and confined in jail, but escaped and persued their course of blood most mercilessly thereafter, and their subsequent fate is unknown. They were semi-civilized and had worked for and lived a great deal with the white people.
It seems that Mrs. Kimball soon after returned from her captivity; but by what means,
we have not ascertained. Probably her children also returned, as Mr. Perry says nothing
to the contrary. Soon after Mrs. Kimball's return, she addressed petition to the
Governor and Council, which is correctly copied from the original.

"To the Hon. Governor and Councell.
The humble petition of Mary Kimball sheweth that Simon, the Indian who killed my husband, Thomas Kimball, hath threatened to kill me and my children if ever I goe to my own house, so that I dare not not goe to looke after what little I have there left, for fear of my life being taken away by him; and therefore, doe humbly entreate the Hon. Governor and Councell that some course may be taken, as God shall direct, and your wisdoms shall think best, to secure him; for I am in continual fear of my life by him; and if any course may be taken for the recovery of what is yet left in their hands of my goods that they have not destroyed (as there was two kittells and two or three baggs of linnen when I came from them) that I might have it restored, leaving myself and my concernes under God, to your wisdoms. I remaine your humble suppliant. Mary Kimball."

"Old Westmoreland", by Edgar Hassler.

While an expedition was forming, Indian ravages on the frontier became more virulent. The butchery on the Tauscarawas had stirred fiercer hostility. Small war parties invaded Washington and Westmoreland Counties and killed or captured many of the settlers in the immediate neighborhood of the companied of mustering yeomanry.

Thomas EDGERTON was captured on Harman's Creek and John STEVENSON near West Liberty. Five soldiers were ambushed in the woods near Fort McIntosh; two were killed and three others were taken to Lower Sandusky where they successfully ran the gaunlet. Two men were killed on the border of Washington County.

On Sunday May 12, 1782, Rev. John CORBLY and his family, while walking to their meeting house on Muddy Creek, in what is now Greene County, PA, were attacked by Indians, The preacher alone escaped without injury, The wife and three children were killed and scalped. Two daughters, Elizabeth and Deliah, were scalped, but survived to endure years of suffering. Elizabeth survived until 21 years of age, and Deliah married a Mr. Martin and they raised a family in the great Miami Valley. The daughter always claimed that it was a white man who scalped her, and later in life she identified the person.

Rev. Corbly was born the 25th of February, 1733, in old England and at the age of 14 years he pledges 4 years of service for his passage. He later married Miss Abigail Bull from Winchester, Virginia, and after the death of his wife he married a Miss Tyler.

The large original brick house built by Rev. Corbly remains and has been placed on the Historical Registrar of Pennsylvania.

About the year 1790 a family by the name of DAVIS resided on the north branch of Wheeling Creek, about three miles above Ryerson Station. The family, with the exception of one fortunate lad, who had been sent out to drive up the horses, were seated around the breakfast table. Suddenly a party of warriors appeared at the cabin door. The old man and his sons reached for the guns hanging on the wall, but at that instant the three were shot dead on the spot.

After their pillage the Indians made captive the mother and only daughter and departed up the creek on the back of a captured horse. When they had not proceeded too far a rifle shot was fired from John HENDERSON who was concealed in the bushes, which knocked the Indian from his horse. The body of the daughter was later found and buried. Mrs. Davis was never afterwards heard from.

Pioneer History of Greene County, Pennsylvania, by L. K. Evans.

Prior to the building of Fort Jackson in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, Capt. Francis McCLURE and Lieut. Samuel KINAID with forty men encountered LOGAN and his party about a mile west of the site whereon Waynesburg has since been built. Devereux SMITH, stated in a letter January 10, 1774 after referring to the SPICER murder as occuring on the 6th of June that he received certain accounts from Ten Mile Creek that on the 11th inst. Captain Francis McCLURE was killed and Lieut. Samuel KINCAID badly wounded. These men were heading a party in pursuit of LOGAN and were a considerable distance ahead of their men, and when the party came up they found their Captain killed and Lieutenant wounded. Part of them stayed to take care of the wounded man and the rest went in pursuit of the Indians.

Æneas MacKay, in a letter, writes "We do not know what day or hour we will be attacked by our savage and provoked enemy, the Indians, who have already massacred sixteen persons to our knowledge, about and in the neighborhood of Ten Mile Creek. A party of militia consisting of Captain McClure and Lieut. KINCAID and forty privates were on their way to march to join CONNOLLY at the mouth of Wheeling where he intended to erect a stockade fort, when they were attacked by a party of Indians who killed the Captain on the spot, wounded the Lieutenant and made their escape."

In this skirmish James FLENNIKEN was killed also. He was the brother of Judge John FLENNIKEN.


Newspaper Articles ] Settlers to Georgia ] [ The Stories ] Complaints ] Reference Material ] Pickett's History of Alabama ] Alpha Frame Set ] Frances Slocum ] German Family ] Olive Oatman ] Carr ] Eliza Jane Kirk ] McGriff ] JOHN EWING ] Captive Bell ] Mary Rowlandson ] Mary Rowlandson ] bricerussell ] John Wendell Brown ]