Burl R. Burt
Burl R. Burt, a well known and enterprising young farmer of Jackson township, is the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of valuable land on section 9. His birth occurred in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on the 13th of September, 1875, his parents being Lorenzo and Alice C. (Bressler) Burt, who are mentioned at greater length on another page of this work. Mr. Burt of this review supplemented his preliminary education by a college course and remained at home until the time of his marriage, which was celebrated in 1901. He then rented a farm and was busily engaged in its operation for six years, on the expiration of which period he bought his present place of one hundred and twenty acres on section 9, Jackson township. In addition to cultivating the cereals best adapted to soil and climate he makes a specialty of raising Chester White hogs, which branch of his business has proved very profitable. Alert, energetic and industrious, he has met with success in his undertakings, practicing the rotation of crops and cultivating his farm after the most approved methods of modern agriculture.
On the 13th of February, 1901, Mr. Burt was united in marriage to Miss Bertha I. Blanch, who was born in this county on the 8th of March, 1876. Her parents, G. G. and Lydia Blanch, are still residents of Jackson township.
In politics Mr. Burt is a republican and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to several positions of public trust. He served as township clerk for five years and has acted as assessor for three years, ever discharging his official duties in a most prompt and capable manner. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, belonging to lodge No. 523 at Coggon, in which he has filled all of the chairs. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Presbyterian church, to which his wife also belongs. Their entire lives have been spent in this county and they are a widely known and highly esteemed young couple.
Joseph T. Chadima
Joseph T. Chadima, a self-made man who owes his present prosperity to his own efforts, is a member of the firm of Chadima Brothers, conducting an extensive and successful business as ice dealers of Cedar Rapids. His birth occurred in this city on the 18th of January, 1870, his parents being Thomas and Anna Chadima, both of whom were natives of Bohemia, in which country they were reared and married. A couple of years after they had been joined in wedlock they crossed the Atlantic to the United States, locating in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and remaining residents of Linn county until called to their final rest.
Joseph T. Chadima spent his youthful days under the parental roof and attended the common schools in pursuit of an education but his opportunities in this direction were limited. When he was a lad of nine years the family traded their town property for an eighty-acre farm and thus he gained thorough familiarity with the work of the fields, hiring out as a farm hand when but fourteen years of age. He was thus busily engaged for a period of about seven years and when he had attained his majority came to Cedar Rapids, here securing a position in the lumber yards of Fay Brothers. At the end of three years he was made yard foreman for the firm, acting in that capacity for five years. In 1900 he embarked in business on his own account as a dealer in ice and a year later was joined by his brother Thomas, the enterprise having since been conducted under the firm style of Chadima Brothers. Under their capable management the business has steadily grown to extensive proportions and this year they have put up about fifteen thousand tons of ice. The prosperity which they now enjoy is all the more creditable by reason of the fact that it is due entirely to their own industry and enterprise, for their father was but a common laboring man when he located in Cedar Rapids and the boys were largely thrown upon their own resources.
On the 7th of October, 1896, Mr. Chadima was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Horak, a native of College township and a daughter of Joseph and Anna Horak, who came to this city from Bohemia in an early day. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Chadima have been born four children, namely: Harry, Lester, Willard and Georgia.
Mr. Chadima is a member of the Sokol Bohemian Athletic Society and the Zapadmi Cesko Bratrska Jednota, a Bohemian society, and also belongs to lodge No. 149 of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. His life has ever been upright and honorable and his record may well serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement to others, for by unfaltering industry and untiring perseverance he has worked his way steadily upward to a position of prominence in the business circles of his native city. Both he and his wife are held in high regard throughout the county in which they have spent their entire lives and the circle of their friends is almost coextensive with the circle of their acquaintances.
Augustus Blackmar, whose demise occurred on the 8th of October, 1905, made his home in Marion for about forty-six years and was well known and highly esteemed as one of the city's most substantial and enterprising residents. He was born in Pennsylvania on the 14th of August, 1827, his parents being Anthony and Patricia (Welsh) Blackmar. The father was a school teacher by profession. Our subject obtained his education in the Keystone state and after putting aside his text-books worked at the wagonmaker's trade for a short time. When about thirty-two years of age he came direct to Marion, Iowa, here entering the general store of his uncle, H. H. Welsh, in whose service he remained for about twelve years. At the end of that time his uncle died and he then left the store and worked at his trade for a brief period. Later he became identified with industrial interests as a carpenter, working at that occupation for a number of years. During the last few years of his life he suffered from ill health. He was called to his final rest on the 8th of October, 1905, and his loss was deeply and sincerely mourned by all who knew him.
On the 7th of April, 1858, Mr. Blackmar was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Ellen Hollenbeck, a daughter of Lawrence and Nancy (Harland) Hollenbeck. Her father, who was a native of New York state, died on the 24th of November, 1888. He was a very methodical man and Mrs. Blackmar has in her possession his day book or ledger, in which he kept his accounts dating back to August, 1844, and giving the name of each one with whom he did business and the amount of the same. He brought his family to this locality in 1842, at which time there were few white settlers in this region, and they often feared an uprising among the Indians. It was not an unusual thing for the settlers to sit up all night expecting to be attacked by the red men and driven from their land.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Blackmar were born three children. Henry Augustus, the first in order of birth, died in infancy. Mary R. gave her hand in marriage to George T. Austin, by whom she had three children, namely: Harlow E., who passed away in 1889, when about nine years of age; Carl E., who is engaged in the grain business in Minneapolis; and Hubert H., who is associated with M. W. Savage, of the International Stock Food Company of Minneapolis. Miss Mabel Blackmar, whose birth occurred in Marion, is a graduate of the high school of this city and prepared for the profession of a trained nurse in the Presbyterian Hospital of Chicago, where for several years she was later employed as head nurse. For the past five years, however, she has been engaged as private nurse in the family of H. H. Rogers, of Standard Oil fame, and is now touring Europe with the family.
Fraternally Mr. Blackmar was identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, holding all of the chairs in the local lodge. He was likewise a prominent member of the Presbyterian church, in which he served as deacon. At the time of his death he had attained the ripe old age of seventy-eight years and his life in all of its relations was actuated by high and honorable principles. His widow is also a valued member of the Presbyterian church and has an extensive circle of warm friends throughout the city which has been her home for more than a half century.
A well improved farm of eighty acres, located near the city of Marion, in Marion township, is the home of Albert Etzel, who devotes his time to general farming. He is a native son of Linn county, born July 24, 1862, a son of Gottlieb and Julia Etzel, both natives of Germany, whence they emigrated to America in an early day. They first located in Pennsylvania, but in 1855 made their way to the middle west, choosing Linn county as a permanent location. Here the father purchased land, which he improved and cultivated and on this farm the parents reared their family of nine children, of whom six now survive. The mother died in 1874 but the father survived for many years, passing away in 1891.
Albert Etzel, whose name introduces this review, acquired his education in the common schools of Linn county and remained under the parental roof until he had reached the age of twenty years. Securing work as a farm hand, he was thus engaged for five years, at the end of which time he established a home of his own by his marriage to Miss Catherine Dukek, who was born in Linn county, January 14, 1863, a daughter of John and Christina (Schmeckle) Dukek, who were natives of Germany. Like the parents of Mr. Etzel, they first located in Pennsylvania, whence, in 1855, they removed to Linn county and here lived during their remaining years, the father passing away in 1896, while the mother, surviving for a few years, passed away in February, 1908. Their family numbered nine children but three are now deceased.
Following their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Etzel began their domestic life on a farm, which Mr. Etzel rented for three years. During this time through his careful management and the assistance of his estimable wife, he saved a sum of money that justified the purchase of land and he became owner of eighty acres in Otter Creek township. He cultivated this tract for three years, then noting a change which he could make to advantage, he disposed of that tract and invested his money in forty acres of land, on which he now resides but he later added an additional forty-acre tract, located a half mile from the city of Marion. He has made many improvements upon the place since it came into his possession and this fact as well as its close proximity to the city, makes it not only a valuable piece of property, but a desirable place to live. Mr. Etzel carries on general farming and owing to the progressive methods which he follows and his thorough knowledge of agriculture in all its various departments, he gathers good crops each year.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Etzel has been blessed with four children, one daughter and three sons, as follows: Julia Matilda, who was born August 6, 1889, and graduated from the Marion high school; Lloyd H., who was born April 25, 1891; Oliver C., born January 31, 1893; and Harley Roy, whose birth occurred January 11, 1895. All are still living with their parents.
Mr. Etzel possesses the industry and perseverance so characteristic of the German race and to these traits may be attributed his success. The people of Linn county look upon him as an exemplary man and are proud to call him their own.
George Zalesky, a dealer in hides and furs in Cedar Rapids, in which connection he has built up a profitable business, was born in Belle Plaine, Iowa, May 30, 1872. His father, Frank E. Zalesky, is a butcher of Belle Plaine, where he is now living at the age of sixty-five years. His mother, who before her marriage was Katie Cerveny, was born in Bohemia and died in the year 1884. Both parents came from their native land to America in 1867.
George Zalesky was educated in the public schools of Belle Plaine and at the age of fifteen years started to work in his father's butcher shop where he remained until twenty-eight years of age. At that time he went to Chicago where he was employed in a meat market for a year, after which he was associated with the firm of Darling & Company, dealers in hides, whom he represented upon the road for a year. In 1900 he removed to Cedar Rapids and established his present business as a dealer in hides, tallow and furs. In this he has been very successful. He made sufficient money with which to start in business on his own account and since beginning independently, he has displayed keen business discernment and enterprise in the conduct of his business affairs.
On the 14th of February, 1900, Mr. Zalesky was united in marriage to Miss Anna Dolak and unto them have been born three children: Valencia Lucille, eight years of age; Alexis Katherine, six years of age; and George, Jr., a little lad of three summers. The family reside at No. 520 Fifth avenue, east. Mr. Zalesky owns considerable real estate, including business and residence property, and also has some realty holdings at Belle Plaine. He has been a member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity since 1894 and has served as vice chancellor in the Uniform Rank. He also holds membership with the Modern Woodmen of America, the Commercial Club of Cedar Rapids, and with the Illinois Commercial Men's Association and has a deep interest in those projects which are instituted for the benefit of trade and the improvement of trade conditions.
Charles J. Haas
Charles J. Haas, county attorney of Linn county, who enjoys the distinction of being the only democrat elected in 1906 and again in 1908, was born in Central City, Iowa, on the 14th of December, 1867, and is a son of William and Virginia (Gillilan) Haas. The father came from the vicinity of Scranton, Pennsylvania, and settled in Linn county in pioneer times. He had been educated in the schools of his native state and was a young man of twenty-one years when he arrived in Linn county. He accepted whatever employment he could secure and carefully saving his earnings was at length enabled to purchase about forty acres of land near Central City. Subsequently he disposed of that and acquired another farm near Central City, which is still known as the Haas homestead and comprises about two hundred and twenty-five acres of rich land which was carefully cultivated by the father for many years and transformed into productive fields. He is now living retired and is one of the respected citizens of his community. Unto him and his wife have been born six children: Charles J.; Mamie, who has departed this life; Josie; Frank, who wedded Miss Mary Rider; Paul, who is deceased; and Irma.
The Haas family is an old one in America. The parents of William Haas were Charles and Sarah (Aten) Haas. The former was born in New Jersey, removing to Pennsylvania in his boyhood, and he, too, followed agricultural pursuits.
Charles J. Haas, reared in this county, attended the district schools and worked on the farm during his boyhood days, dividing his time between the acquirement of an education and the labors of the fields. After he was seventeen years of age he pursued a course in Duncan's Commercial College in Davenport and subsequently engaged in teaching school for a few years. He then went to Valparaiso, Indiana, where he spent two years in study, after which he resumed the teacher's profession.Later he turned his attention to the study of law, which he also pursued in the Northern Indiana Law School at Valparaiso, from which he was graduated with the class of 1891. He was then admitted to the bar in Porter county, Indiana, and also admitted to practice before the supreme court of that state. He returned, however, to Iowa, and again engaged in teaching school for a few years. In 1895 he took up his abode in Marion, where he has since resided, giving his attention to the practice of law. In 1897 he was elected city attorney and filled the position in an acceptable manner for three terms. In November, 1900, he formed a partnership with D. E. Voris, with offices in the Farmers & Merchants Bank building and enjoyed a good clientage in the private practice of law until the fall of 1906, when he was elected county attorney. In 1908 he was reelected and was the only democratic candidate who received a majority in those two years--a fact which indicates his personal popularity and the confidence and trust reposed in his professional ability. He is now filling the office in most creditable manner for the second term and is justly accounted one of the foremost representatives of the Linn county bar.
Mr. Haas belongs to Trojan Lodge, No. 268, A. F. & A. M., to Mariola Lodge, No. 8, K. P., of which he is past chancellor, while in 1907 he was a member of the judiciary committee of the grand lodge. He also holds membership with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a past noble grand. His life has been characterized by steady progress along lines demanding keen intellectuality, and in the practice of law he displays careful analysis, clear reasoning and sound logic, whereby he has won many notable verdicts.
From the stories of successful lives such as are found in these pages many a youth who could not be influenced by mere precept will be inspired with lofty ambitions. A successful life is never an accident; it results from obedience to natural laws, and to win success, therefore, one needs only to know and apply these laws. Emerson said, "biography is history teaching by examples," and as an instructive example we present the following outline of the career of William Franklin Kilborn, founder and manager of the Kilborn Photo-Paper Company of Cedar Rapids. It shows that achievement in material things is not incompatible with the building of a noble Christian character, without which there can be no real success. The history of the Kilborn family has been traced through hundreds of years, being found in English records as early as 1070, at which time the family was already "seated" at Kilborn, in Yorkshire. The motto which appears on the family coat of arms is Vincit Veritas. The occasion of the grant of arms to this family is not known, but history states: "This pedigree being authentically proved, is entered in the Visitation of London, A. D. 1634.-- Hon. St. George Richmond."
The name Kilborn is now spelled in many ways, but the common ancestor of all the Kilborns on the western continent was Thomas Kilborne. He was born in the parish of Wood Ditton, in the county of Cambridge, in 1758, where he was baptized on May 8th of that year. Unlike most of the early colonists, he was a member of the Church of England, serving as warden of his native parish in 1632. On April 15, 1635, he with his wife, Frances, and five of their eight children embarked at London for New England in the ship "Increase." The family settled in Wethersfield, Connecticut, where Thomas Kilborn, Sr., died prior to 1639, and his widow died in 1650 at the age of sixty-five years.
Their youngest son, John, who was the "whole and sole executor" of his mother's will was baptized at Wood Ditton on September 29, 1624, and was, therefore, a lad of ten when he came to America with his parents. He was "collector of the tax rates" for the town of Wethersfield in 1647 and is recorded as a landholder in 1649. In May, 1657, he was confirmed by the general court "to be sergeant at Wethersfield," and from that time was generally referred to in the town records as "Sergeant Kilbourn." At the October session of the general court, 1660, Sergeant Kilbourn took his seat for the first time as a representative from Wethersfield. He served at seven sessions during a most important period of our colonial history. He was a member of the colonial grand jury from 1662 until 1666. He also often served as a grand juror of Hartford county, and in May, 1677, was on the "jury of life and death," at Hartford. In town affairs Sergeant Kilbourn was conspicuous for nearly forty years. Besides being a collector, lister and constable, he was selectman from 1657 to 1681, inclusive.
Sergeant Kilbourn was married twice, his second wife being Sarah, daughter of John Bronson, of Farmington. He died April 9, 1703, and his widow passed
Caption: Frank Kilbornaway December 4, 1711, "aged seventy years, or something more," as the record has it.
The next in the line of our subject's progenitors was Joseph, next to the youngest of Sergeant Kilbourn's children. He was born about 1672 in Wethersfield. On June 4, 1696, he married for his first wife, Dorothy, daughter of Deacon Samuel Butler. She died August 19, 1709, leaving four children. Joseph Kilbourn was one of the first settlers of Litchfield, Connecticut, of which town he was admitted an inhabitant on December 12, 1721. The next year he was chosen a selectman. He also served as lister, moderator of town meetings and sealer of weights and measures. He owned considerable land and apparently was prosperous. His home lot was the site afterward known as the "county house corner," and here were afterward born Mrs. Harriet Beecher Stowe, Rev. Henry Ward Beecher and other members of Dr. Beecher's family, and on this corner also resided many men famous in military and political life. Joseph Kilbourn's will was proved before the court in 1744, which renders it probable that he died in that year.
Captain Joseph Kilbourn, his son, was born in Wethersfield, July 9, 1700, and moved to Litchfield with his parents in 1721. He was frequently elected surveyor, lister, grand juror and collector and was chosen selectman in 1740, 1750 and 1752. In May, 1750, he was commissioned by Governor Law as captain of the first military company of Litchfield. He was a representative in the Connecticut legislature in 1752 and 1753. He served on a number of committees and was prominent in connection with nearly all matters of public moment in his community. Captain Kilbourn was one of the founders of the Episcopal church and society in Litchfield, in 1745 and was a liberal benefactor of the parish.
He married Abigail Stockwell on November 12, 1723. She died May 20, 1748. Lieutenant Benjamin Kilbourn was the second child by the last-named marriage. He was born in Litchfield, April 4, 1728. He was esteemed as a man of integrity and sound judgment, and was much employed in settling estates. In May, 1769, he was commissioned as lieutenant of the first military company in Litchfield. Soon after the Revolution broke out he lost his commission, owing to the freedom and severity with which he spoke regarding what he considered the "rebellion." Notwithstanding his steadfast adherence to the cause of the king, none were more liberal or humane to those who were suffering in the cause of their country. He resided in Litchfield until some years after the war, when he removed with most of his family to Elizabethtown, near Brockville, Upper Canada -- being determined, as he said, to "lay his bones on King George's soil." Here he died in 1810. He married for his second wife, Lucy Bishop, on March 20, 1757.
The next in line was David Kilbourn, who was born in Litchfield, February, 1767. He married Hannah, daughter of Joseph White, a New Hampshire loyalist, and settled on the Canadian side of the St. Lawrence, a few miles below Brockville.
Though residing in the king's dominion, he was a republican at heart, and in the war of 1812 he engaged in the secret service of the United States, under the direction of General Wilkinson. In consequence of this his entire estate in Canada was confiscated by the British government. He was imprisoned, treated harshly and it was proposed to put him to death. He made his escape, but was re-arrested, imprisoned and threatened a second time with death, which would inevitably have been his portion had he not once more escaped. He reached General Wilkinson's camp, where he was provided with money and sent to the quartermaster at Sackett's Harbor. Here he was employed until ill health compelled him to give up his position. His services were afterward acknowledged by congress, and appropriations were made to reward him for his services and partially to reimburse him for his losses. For some years prior to his death in 1847 he resided at Seriba, near Oswego, New York.
Whiting was next to the oldest of the ten children born to David and Hannah Kilbourn. In 1816, he removed from Leeds county, Canada, West, where he was born, and settled in Gore district, about Lake Ontario. His active life was spent in agricultural pursuits. He lived in a frontier region and, possessing the qualities and attributes that make the successful pioneer, he was noted for his utter fearlessness of man or beast. He was long a class-leader in the Wesleyan Methodist church and his genial disposition and his kindness toward the poor made him a general favorite. He lived to an old age, being probably about eighty at the time of his death, whichoccurred about 1865 or 1866.
Whiting Kilborn married Polly Wood, by whom he had seven children, of whom our subject's father was the fifth.
David Kilborn was born in Dumfries, Ontario, May 17, 1826. He engaged in farming until about 1856 when he removed to Plattsville, Ontario. Here he conducted a successful mercantile business and engaged in the manufacture of soap and candles on a large scale for those days. In 1864 he and his family settled on a farm in Cato township, not far from Grand Rapids, Michigan. Here he lived until 1904, when he retired. From that time until his death, February 5, 1908, he made his home in Sacramento, where most of his children reside. The death of his wife occurred August 30, 1907.
At the age of twenty-five, David Kilborn married Lavina Bowers, who was born in Berlin, Canada, in May, 1832. Her father was a wealthy landowner and manufacturer at that place. The following children were the fruit of that union: Oscar Mortimer; our subject, Frank; Julia H., wife of George C. Youngman; Elsie A., wife of A. K. Varney; Mrs. May E. Bawden; and David W. All of these, excepting our subject and his youngest brother, are residents of Sacramento, California.
David Kilborn was widely known as a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he was a leading member. He traveled on horseback all through that part of Michigan where he settled and organized Sunday schools. He not only refused to receive a penny for his labors, but he was a liberal contributor to the church. At his home he entertained the traveling preachers of his own church, and all others that came that way, regardless of creed.
Frank Kilborn, as the subject of this sketch is generally known, grew up on the home farm, attending school, helping with the work and enjoying the pleasures common to boys in country places. In 1863 he came to Cedar Rapids and began the study of photography in the gallery of his uncle Wilber F. Kilborn. Having artistictalent he was naturally adapted to this work, and by persistent study and application he soon acquired great skill as a photographer. In 1878 he purchased a half-interest in the business, which was conducted under the name of W. F. Kilborn & Company, and in 1886 our subject became sole owner. At that time his gallery was the oldest in Iowa, and Mr. Kilborn's reputation made it one of the art centers of the west. Mr. Kilborn helped to organize the first state association of Iowa photographers and served as its first president.
In the early days when Mr. Kilborn started in business photographers had to sensitize their own plates and papers. Being of a practical turn of mind, our subject believed the time would come when plates and papers would be produced commercially. He studied chemistry, and as a result of extended experiments produced a printing-out paper which has never been excelled, if equalled, by a paper of its class. The Western Collodion Paper Company was organized to manufacture and market this product which met with instant favor. In 1894 the Eastman Kodak Company purchased the business, and Mr. Kilborn spent a year at Rochester, New York, in establishing the manufacture of his invention.
Mr. Kilborn has ability to see opportunities, and by persistent and intelligent effort with continual personal supervision of every branch of his work, he has been able to achieve signal success in a difficult field of endeavor strewn thick with failures. He is connected with many other business enterprises among which we mention the Logan County Development Company, the Iowa-Colorado Development Company, of which he is president, and he is also a director of the Commercial Savings Bank.
Mr. Kilborn was married at Lancaster, Ohio, September 4, 1884, to Miss Mary Carty, daughter of William J. and Ellen (Carpenter) Carty of that city. Mrs. Kilborn is a lady of culture and refinement and an active worker in the church, social and literary life of Cedar Rapids. They have two children: Mary Ellen, wife of Carl Richard Greer, editor of the Republican and News and secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, of Hamilton, Ohio; and Paul Franklin, born June 17, 1897.
In 1908 Avalon, one of the most beautiful homes in Cedar Rapids, was erected by Mr. Kilborn at the corner of Washington avenue and Seventeenth street. Here amid beautiful furnishings, which indicate refined and cultured taste, our subject and his wife entertain their many friends.
Mr. Kilborn is one of the leading members of St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is a trustee. He is identified with many of the religious and benevolent institutions of this city. He is a member of the board of directors and chairman of the foreign work committee of the Young Men's Christian Association. He is chairman of the Laymen's Missionary Movement in Cedar Rapids and director of St. Luke's Hospital. Mr. Kilborn is a pleasing and forceful speaker and is frequently called upon to address meetings in different parts of the state in connection with religious work. He is known as one of the liberal contributors to every good cause and work.
Upon his return to Cedar Rapids our subject reopened his gallery and also in connection with it had a store for the sale of photo supplies, artists' materials, pictures of all kinds, etc. Mr. Kilborn's interest in the manufacture of photopapers did not abate, however. He had been a pioneer in the manufacture of printing-out papers, but he felt that this method was too slow, and began experiments in the manufacture of papers so sensitive that they could be printed with artificial light. Mr. Kilborn was so successful that his paper under the brand, Kruxo, was the second developing paper placed on the market. The Kilborn Photo-Paper Company was organized for the manufacture of Kruxo, and this business is today one of the large industries of Cedar Rapids. The product, while sold principally in the United States and Canada, goes to all parts of the world, giving wide publicity to the place of its manufacture, as "Cedar Rapids, Iowa" appears on every package that leaves the factory.
The next in line was David Kilbourn, who was born in Litchfield, February, 1767. He married Hannah, daughter of Joseph White, a New Hampshire loyalist, and settled on the Canadian side of the St. Lawrence, a few miles below Brockville.
Though residing in the king's dominion, he was a republican at heart, and in the war of 1812 he engaged in
Esar H. Ball
Esar H. Ball, a prominent factor in industrial circles of Cedar Rapids, is associated with his brother Harry in the conduct of the E. H. Ball Company, engaged in electric construction work. His birth occurred in Horsehay, Shropshire, England, on the 15th of July, 1869, his parents being Richard and Hannah Ball, the former born in England, in 1832. The family consisted of ten sons and two daughters.
Esar H. Ball attended the public schools of Dronfield, England, until ten years of age, and then accompanied his parents on their emigration to the United States, the family home being established in Youngstown, Ohio, where he continued his studies for three years longer. After leaving school he went to Alliance, Ohio, where he secured a position in the shops of the Morgan Engineering Works but at the end of four months went to Canton, Ohio, where he spent about a year and a half and then returned to Youngstown and entered the service of the United States Steel Corporation, having charge of the washer manufacturing department for a year and a half. He next worked as mechanical engineer in the mills until 1887 and in November of that year went to Pullman, Illinois, where he learned the electrical business as an employe of the Pullman Car Company. In 1889 he severed his connection with that corporation and went to Rockford, Illinois, where he was engaged as electrician with the Rockford Electrical Manufacturing Company until 1891. That year witnessed his removal to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where he acted as superintendent of the plant of the Capital Railway & Light Company until 1893. Going to Chicago, he was there associated with George Mayo in the conduct of an electrical engineering enterprise until 1894. The following year he spent in the employ of the Standard Electric Company as a tester of dynamos and motors, while subsequently he entered into partnership relations with another man for the conduct of an electrical construction business. In 1903 he disposed of his interest and went to St. Louis, Missouri, being identified with the electrical construction department at the World's Fair until the fall of 1904. Returning to Chicago, he was there connected with various electrical construction firms until 1905 and then went to Rockford, Illinois, where he engaged in the electrical construction business on his own account and also acted as agent for the Western Electric Company.
In 1908 Mr. Ball came to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and here embarked in business with his brother under the firm style of E. H. Ball Company, which relation has since been maintained with mutual pleasure and profit. Perhaps in no special field is advancement so marked as in that of electricity. An intangible force, the origin of which is little understood, its effects, however, are manifest and in their application to commercial purposes there has been evolved a new era in business development. Mr. Ball has at all times kept in touch with the progress that has been made in the field of practical effort, invention and experiment and is now well qualified to render important service in the line of business to which he is directing his energies.
In December, 1905, in Chicago, Mr. Ball was united in marriage to Miss Clara R. Thompson, by whom he has a daughter, Hannah Wheeler, now one year old.
At the polls Mr. Ball casts an independent ballot, always taking into consideration the fitness of a candidate rather than his party affiliation. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist church, while fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Pythias and the Sons of St. George.
For forty-four years Amos Plummer has been identified with the interests of Linn county, and he also stands as one of those patriotic citizens who, during the Civil war, made his personal interests a secondary matter and gave his best efforts to his country in defense of the Union cause. Mr. Plummer is a native of Ohio, born March 28, 1839, a son of Abram and Elizabeth Plummer, whose family numbered twelve children, but only three are now living. The father was a native of Ohio and it was in that state that the wife and mother died. In 1858 the father journeyed farther west, locating in Clinton county, Iowa, but later he removed to Linn county, where his death occurred.
Amos Plummer accompanied his father on his various removals, being a young man of nineteen years when he left his native state for Iowa. In the meantime he had attended the district schools of Ohio and after coming to Iowa he began life on his own account. He worked as a farm hand for a few years but at the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted as a member of the Fourteenth Iowa Infantry but was later transferred to the Seventh Iowa Cavalry. His service, covering a period of three years, consisted of fighting the Indians in the Dakotas. He was mustered out at Sioux City, Iowa, subsequent to which time he spent a few years in Cedar county, this state, but in 1867 made a permanent location in Linn county. He purchased his present farm of one hundred and twenty acres, located in Marion township, and for many years gave his time and attention to its improvement and cultivation but in the years that have come and gone he has acquired a competency that now enables him to live retired, although he retains his residence on the farm, where he can enjoy the freedom and quiet of a rural existence.
In 1867, when Mr. Plummer had purchased his first land and was thus prepared to establish a home, he wedded Miss Celestia C. White, who was born in Ohio, in March, 1844, a daughter of William and Sarah White, both of whom are now deceased. Mrs. Plummer is one of six living children and by her marriage she has become the mother of a son and daughter: C. C., who follows farming in Marion township; and Sarah Elizabeth, the wife of Fred Simpson, a resident of Oregon.
The parents are devoted and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which Mr. Plummer is acting as a steward. During the forty-four years in which they have made their home in this section of Iowa, they have witnessed many changes, as year by year more modern methods of agriculture are followed and the pioneer homes are being replaced with modern structures, and their community has not been slow in keeping pace with this advancement. Mr. Plummer is a man of exemplary habits, strict integrity and has a strong personality. Although he has passed the seventy-first milestone on the journey of life, he still keeps in close touch with the affairs of the world and now in the evening of his days he and his estimable wife can enjoy in retirement the accumulations of profitable, successful and honorable careers.
Charles E. Calder
In the years of an active business career Charles E. Calder was well known in Cedar Rapids as a member of the firm of Calder & Garrison, extensive dealers in meat. He was a self-made man and as the architect of his own fortunes builded wisely and well. He was born in Cherry Valley, Otsego county, New York, July 5, 1840, and in 1861 came to Cedar Rapids, being then a young man of twenty-one years. In 1863 he established himself in the butchering business at this point and continued therein for a long period. Whatever he undertook he carried forward to successful completion. He realized that obstacles and difficulties should never affright the individual but should serve as an impetus for renewed effort and closer application.
In 1862 Mr. Calder was united in marriage to Miss Alcinda A. Roberts, who was born in Cumberland, Maryland, in 1841 and was brought to Cedar Rapids by her parents in 1856. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Calder were born seven children, Mary E., Edith M., Charles A., Ada E., Louis B., Cornelia B., and George A.
At the time of his marriage in 1862 Mr. Calder's possessions consisted only of a team of horses, but gradually advancing in the business world he used his means for real-estate investment and eventually became a large property holder in the city. In matters of judgment he was seldom, if ever, at fault and he thus placed his investments judiciously and derived therefrom a substantial income. He traveled quite extensively during the last few years of his life and enjoyed visiting the scenes of historic and scenic interests in different parts of the country. He was a member of the Crescent lodge of Masons and was always active in charitable work, doing all he could to promote the moral progress of the community and to ameliorate the hard conditions of life for the unfortunate. His many good qualities endeared him to all who knew him, causing his memory to be cherished since he has passed away.
Rev. Patrick McCarthy Loughnane
Rev. Patrick McCarthy Loughnane, who is now pastor of St. Joseph's church at Marion, was born in County Kerry, Ireland, on the 21st of August, 1886, and is a son of Patrick Timothy and Catherine (McCarthy) Loughnane. The father was a farmer by occupation and by following that pursuit provided for his family which numbered twelve children: Timothy, who is now engaged in merchandising; Robert, a retired merchant; Daniel, who followed merchandising but is now deceased; Michael, who has also passed away; William, who carries on farming; Mrs. Mary Doran; Catherine and Margaret, both of whom are deceased; Mrs. Elizabeth McMahon; Patrick, of this review; Jeremiah, deceased; and Mrs. Honora Deron. With the exception of those mentioned as having passed away, all are yet living. Father Loughnane has a niece, a daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth McMahon, who is the only representative of this large family in the United States with the exception of himself.
Father Loughnane first attended the national schools in County Kerry, Ireland, and later attended St. Michael's College at Listowel. He then continued his education at Thurles, where he was ordained to the priesthood in 1893. On coming to this country he made his way direct to Dubuque, Iowa, and soon afterward was appointed assistant priest at St. Mary's church in Clinton, Iowa, where he continued until he received the appointment as pastor of St. Peter's church at Sabula, Iowa. He next went to Marshall county and thence came to Marion, Iowa, to accept the pastorate of St. Joseph's Catholic church of this city. He has now been located here for five years and under his guidance the church is doing good work and is proving a strong element for the upbuilding of Catholicism in this district. The present house of worship was begun in May, 1905, and was completed in November of that year. It has a seating capacity of three hundred and seventy-five and is modern in construction, unique and attractive in appearance, and was completed at a cost of about fifteen thousand dollars. The work of education, as carried on in connection with this church, is proving a valuable adjunct to the church work. The school known as St. Berchman's Seminary is both a boarding and day school for small boys, conducted by the Sisters of Mercy. Father Loughnane instructs the pupils each morning. The curriculum of the seminary includes everything taught in the public schools and when the pupils have finished the work of the ninth grade at the seminary, they are qualified for entrance in the high school at Marion, Dubuque or Davenport. The institution receives boys at the age of seven years and keeps them in the seminary until they are fourteen years of age. The enrollment includes pupils from all parts of Iowa and at present there are three from Chicago and some from other sections of Illinois. The school building contains about fifteen rooms, including a chapel and two large dormitories and also a play hall. It is situated in the midst of fine grounds covering twenty-two acres. Surrounded as are the boys by all that tends to ennoble and elevate, they acquire a great love and respect for all that pertains to a nobler life. In the impressionable years of childhood, the effects of early training are lasting, and the boys at the seminary are kept within the line of duty by a sense of honor and right, and they are constantly taught to strive after such virtues and manly habits as will fit them for positions of honor and trust, when their happy school days are gone, and they must meet the stern realities of life.
In addition to his work in Marion, Father Loughnane built St. John's church in 1906 at Lisbon and once each month goes there to minister to the spiritual needs of the parish which numbers about thirty families.
By adhering strictly to honest and honorable methods, John Vahl had so won the regard of his fellowmen and the affection of his neighbors and friends, that his death which occurred on the 13th of June, 1897, caused deep regret throughout the community as well as in his immediate household. He was of German birth, his natal day being April 25, 1858. He is the only deceased member of a family of four children, born of the marriage of Henry and Louise Vahl, both of whom were natives of the fatherland, whence they emigrated to America in an early day and both are now deceased.
The rules of honesty and integrity were early instilled in the mind of John Vahl and he never departed from such a course of living. He was reared under the parental roof and the period of his boyhood and youth was spent in much the usual manner of most lads, as he assisted his father and pursued his studies in the common schools during the winter seasons.
In 1880, when a young man af twenty-two years, he established a home of his own by his marriage to Miss Mary Semmen, who was born in Switzerland, June, 3, 1858. Her parents, Abraham and Maria Semmen, were likewise natives of the land of the Alps. Mr. and Mrs. Semmen, on emigrating to America in 1864, located in Pennsylvania, but after a short time they continued their journey westward, making a permanent location in Linn county, where their deaths occurred.
In 1890 Mr. Vahl purchased a farm of eighty acres in Marion township and removing thereto, he at once began to improve and cultivate the place, and for seven years, or until called to his final rest, he worked diligently in the conduct of his farming interests and met with success, so that his widow and children are now in possession of a good property. His labors were brought to a close when he seemed to have reached his field of greatest usefulness, for he was but thirty-nine years of age when he was calledto his final rest. He had, however, come to be known as a most honored citizen and his loss was deplored by all who knew him.
The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Vahl was blessed with four children, namely: Henry W.; Laura M., the wife of Oscar Martin, a resident of South Dakota; Lewis C., at home; and Harold Arthur. The widow still resides on the home farm and is capably managing her business affairs. The family are highly respected in their home locality, where they have many warm friends.
John W. Steffy
John W. Steffy, deceased, was born on a farm near Marengo, Iowa, December 5, 1872, a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Housman) Steffy, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Iowa respectively. For many years the father was a prominent farmer of Linn county but is now living retired in Victor. John W. Steffy received a good practical education in the schools of this county and remained on the farm assisting his father in its operation until twenty-one years of age, when he leased and assumed the management of one of his father's farms, which he operated successfully until he removed to Marengo. There he engaged in business as a dealer in horses and also conducted a livery, feed and sale stable for six years with marked success, during which time he established an enviable reputation for business ability and integrity, gaining thereby a large circle of friends. In July, 1904, he removed to Cedar Rapids and began the erection of a new residence and stables for the accommodation of his business, which with the exception of about a year spent on a farm he had purchased near Marion, he continued to conduct with gratifying success until his death, which occurred on the 3rd of April, 1910, at the family residence, No. 1719 A avenue, east.
On the 19th of June, 1896, Mr. Steffy was united in marriage to Miss Belle F. Higgins, a daughter of Edward and Matilda (Walls) Higgins. Her father died in 1899 but her mother is still living and now resides with Mrs. Steffy in Cedar Rapids.
Fraternally Mr. Steffy was identified with the Knights of Pythias and in politics was an ardent republican. He was a man who commanded the confidence and esteem of all who knew him and few men in the county of his age had more or warmer friends. In his business affairs he met with more than ordinary success and the prosperity which came to him was but the just reward of his untiring efforts, good judgment and sterling integrity. He was a great lover of home and outside of business hours could always be found at his own fireside. He cared for no pleasure in which his wife could not participate and to her he was not alone husband but a loving, cheerful, patient companion. The passing of John W. Steffy removed from the walks of life a young man of special promise, for whom his host of acquaintances had predicted a long and successful career, and his demise was cause for the deepest regret and sorrow to his large circle of friends in his boyhood home at Victor, Marengo, and Cedar Rapids, where his entire life had been spent. Yet after all it may be best, he had not reached on life's highway the stone which marks the highest point but being weary for a moment he lay down by the wayside and fell into that dreamless sleep. While yet in love with life, just in the happiest, sunniest hours of all the voyage, the pathetic end came.
George Washington Kuntz
A well improved farm of one hundred and thirty-eight and a half acres, located in Linn township, has been the home of George Washington Kuntz since 1903, and in the conduct of his business affairs he displays many of the characteristics of his German ancestry. He was born in Iowa, September 10, 1867, a son of Jacob and Henrietta (Smith) Kuntz, who were natives of Germany and among the first settlers of Iowa. Upon their emigration to the new world the father purchased eighty acres of land in Jones county, the year 1853 witnessing their arrival in this section of the state. He later added to it a tract of the same size so his farm embraced one hundred and sixty acres, to the cultivation and improvement of which he gave his time and attention until his death in 1882. He had survived his wife for several years, her death having occurred in 1874. Their family numbered four children: Charles Henry, a resident of Jones county; John L., also a resident of that county; George W., of this review; and Luella, the wife of Daniel Doubenmier, a resident of Linn county.
George W. Kuntz remained under the parental roof to the age of fifteen years, when he lost his father. He then left home, being employed at farm
Caption: Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Kuntzlabor by the month for ten years. In the meantime he carefully saved his earnings and on the expiration of that period felt justified in conducting farming on his own account. Accordingly he rented a tract of land, which he operated for seven years. He then purchased his present property of one hundred and thirty-eight and a half acres, taking up his abode thereon on the 1st of January, 1903. He has made all the improvements on the place, on which stands a nice country home, in the rear of which are good barns and outbuildings for the shelter of grain and stock. His land is also in good condition, so that it returns excellent crops each year. He gives much of his time to the raising of stock and this branch of his business adds not a little to his finances each year.
Mr. Kuntz made final arrangements for a home of his own by his marriage on the 29th of December, 1906, to Miss Eliza L. Albert, a daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Ushal) Albert, who were natives of Germany. In 1879 they emigrated to America, settling in Cedar county, Iowa, where Mr. Albert opened a mercantile establishment, which he conducted for several years. He then speculated in land, buying and selling throughout his remaining years, his death occurring in 1894. The mother is still living and now makes her home in Spokane, Washington. Mrs. Kuntz is one of a family of five children, the others being Henry, August, Fred and Marie. By her marriage she has become the mother of one son, Charles Herbert, whose birth occurred on the 6th of August, 1909.
Mr. Kuntz gives his political support to the democratic party but has never been active as an office seeker, preferring to give his time to his private business affairs. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the United Brethren church. He may truly be termed a self-made man, one who through the inherent force of his nature and the utilization of opportunities has passed from the humble position of a farm hand to that of one of the most substantial farmers of Linn township and this county.
Alfred M. Carpenter
A well developed and highly improved farm of one hundred and forty acres, located on sections 9 and 10, Marion township, is the property of Alfred M. Carpenter. He was born in Delaware county, New York, March 11, 1853, a son of W. B. and Frances (Mason) Carpenter, of whom extended mention is made elsewhere in this work.
Alfred M. Carpenter pursued his studies in the common schools and remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority, when he began business on his own account, by purchasing eighty acres of land, situated on section 10, Marion township. Taking up his abode thereon he made it his home for five years, when he disposed of that property and purchased his present farm of one hundred and forty acres, located on sections 9 and 10, Marion township. He has made all the improvements on the place, including a good country residence, barn and outbuildings, while the soil has been placed in good condition for cultivation and each year he gathers good crops. He makes a specialty, however, of raising and feeding stock and finds this a profitable source of income.
In 1877 Mr. Carpenter wedded Miss Alice Simpson, who was born in Brown township, Linn county, April 8, 1847. This union was blessed with seven children, namely: Blanch, the wife of Robert Lary, a resident of Oregon; Florence, the wife of L. Mathes, of Marion, Iowa; Frances A., the wife of Andy Falcon, of Linn county; Pearl, the wife of Marion Owens, a resident of Madison, Nebraska; Emily, the wife of Oscar Boosenbark, their home being in Linn county; Cora, the wife of Sumner Jordan, of Marion; and Earl, who departed this life May 30, 1904. The family were called upon to mourn the loss of the wife and mother in December, 1897, and in 1899 Mr. Carpenter was again married, this union being with Mrs. Marjorie (Jenkins) Goodlove, the widow of Oscar Goodlove. By her former marriage Mrs. Carpenter had a son and daughter, Ralph J. and Hazel M., both with their mother, and by her marriage to Mr. Carpenter she has become the mother of two daughters, Dorothy Alice and Ida Charlotte.
Mr. Carpenter's study of political questions has led him to give stalwart support to the republican party, while in religious faith he is a Methodist, while his wife is identified with the Baptist church. He is not in the sense of office seeking a man in public life, though his opinions carry weight in the community in which he lives. His chief interests, however, center in his home and his family and yet he is never found unmindful of his duties of citizenship.
Hon. John M. Terry
On the pages of the legislative history in Iowa appears the name of Hon. John M. Terry whose senatorial record was characterized by the same spirit of activity and progress that has marked his business life, making him one of the prosperous residents and extensive landowners of Linn county. He was long closely associated with agricultural interests here but is now living retired in an attractive home at Cedar Rapids, that in the evening of his days he may enjoy the comforts made possible by a well-spent life. He was born in Seneca county, Ohio, October 18, 1835. His father, John Terry, was a native of New York and was among the vanguard of that great band of emigrants that wended their way westward over the mountains to the frontier territory of Ohio. He settled on a tract of land in Seneca county. Three years before he had married Elizabeth Cole, a native of New York, and on their removal to the west he built for them a little log cabin in the midst of the Seneca county forest. There they reared their family of five children, two sons and three daughters, and in 1846 they removed from Seneca to Huron county, Ohio, where John Terry passed away in 1858 at the age of fifty-two years. The mother reached an advanced age and spent her declining years with her daughter in Lawrence, Kansas. Here her death occurred in 1908.
John M. Terry pursued his education in the common schools and remained upon the home farm engaged in the various duties that fall to the lot of the agriculturist until twenty-three years of age. He was then married on the 15th of December, 1858, to Miss Mary E. Howe, a daughter of Baxter and Lydia (Hicks) Howe, who were natives of the Empire state. The father was a carpenter by trade but carried on farming conjointly with his building operations. He was married in the state of New York and subsequently removed to Huron county, Ohio, where Mrs. Terry was born. After their marriage the young people began domestic life on a farm, Mr. Terry thus starting out in business on his own account. The new state of Iowa was then attracting much attention and hearing and heeding the call of the west, he disposed of his interests in Ohio and in the fall of 1868 removed to the Hawkeye state, settling on a farm of about five hundred acres which he had recently purchased in Linn and Benton counties. It was wild prairie land upon which not a furrow had been turned or an improvement made. The arduous task of developing the new land was at once begun by Mr. Terry and in the course of time he brought the farm under a high state of cultivation and made it a very valuable property. To this he afterward added two hundred acres more, so that he became the owner of valuable holdings of seven hundred acres in Linn and Benton counties. The homestead is pleasantly located where the four counties of Linn, Johnson, Iowa and Benton join. There he erected good buildings in the midst of a fine grove. Year by year he carefully supervised his farming interests until 1891 when he retired from agricultural life and removed to Cedar Rapids. He continued the owner of the farm for two years longer, however, and then sold the property.
There is an interesting military chapter in the life history of Mr. Terry which entitles him to wear the Grand Army button. He enlisted on the 2d of May, 1864, with the First Ohio National Guard, becoming a part of Company C, One Hundred and Sixty-sixth Regiment, under Captain Joseph Sutton. He entered the service with the rank of first lieutenant and held that position during his connection with the regiment. He was with the Army of the Potomac and was engaged on active duty for five months, after which he was honorably discharged by special order of the war department, being mustered out on the 9th of September, 1864.
As the years passed by eight children were added to the family of Mr. Terry, but only four are now living: Ralph H., Bertha, Kate L., and John B. The family are widely and favorably known in Linn county and the hospitality of many of the best homes of Cedar Rapids is cordially extended them.
Fraternally Mr. Terry is connected with Fidelity Lodge, No. 364, A. F. & A. M. of Fairfax, having become a Master Mason in 1858. He is a charter member of Apollo Lodge, No. 26, Knights Templars; belongs also to Iowa Consistory, No. 2, A. & A. S. R., and El Kahir Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. of Cedar Rapids. He also became a charter member of the Elks Lodge at Cedar Rapids and is most loyal to the teachings and purposes of these fraternities. His political allegiance has always been given to the democratic party and he is a recognized leader in its ranks in this portion of the state. He served as a member of the twenty-fourth and twenty-fifth general assemblies of Iowa, having been elected in 1891, his incumbency covering four years, during which time he gave careful consideration to the important questions which came up for settlement and cast the weight of his influence on what he believed to be the side of right, justice and progress. He has long been counted one of the foremost agriculturists and business men of the county and his retirement is well deserved for his former activity entitles him to his present leisure which gives him an opportunity for the enjoyment of those interests which contribute most to his pleasure.
Peter G. Henderson
Peter G. Henderson, a retired agriculturist of Linn county, has continuously resided on the farm where he has made his home for the past third of a century. The property comprises five hundred and seventy-one acres of valuable land, all of which lies in Jackson township with the exception of a tract of eighty acres, which is situated in Delaware county. Mr. Henderson was born in Canada on the 13th of February, 1840, his parents being Peter and Jeannette (Forester) Henderson, who were natives of Scotland and Canada respectively. When but fifteen years of age the father crossed the Atlantic to America, locating in Canada, where he was later married. Both he and his wife continued to reside in that country until called to their final rest. They became the parents of twelve children, seven of whom are yet living.
Peter G. Henderson attended the common schools in the acquirement of an education and when but twelve years of age began providing for his own support as an employe in a machine shop, thus working for four and a half years. In 1860 he crossed the border into the United States, locating in Michigan, where he remained for eleven years. On the expiration of that period, in 1871, he came to Linn county, Iowa, and has here resided continuously since. On arriving in this county he immediately took up general agricultural pursuits and in 1877 located on the farm of five hundred and seventy-one acres which has remained in his possession to the present time. All of the land lies in Jackson township with the exception of a tract of eighty acres, which is situated in Delaware county. Mr. Henderson won a gratifying measure of success in the conduct of his farming interests and in connection with the tilling of the soil also conducted a dairy, which branch of his business likewise proved very profitable. At the present time, however, he is living retired, leaving the active work of the fields to his son, Walter.
On the 13th of January, 1873, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage to Miss Hannah Jane Henderson, likewise a native of Canada. Unto them were born three children, as follows: Allie May, the wife of W. H. Kerr; Walter E., who lives on the home farm; and one who died in infancy.
Mr. and Mrs. Henderson are valued members of the Congregational church and their daily lives are in conformity with its teachings. A good citizen, a noble man and one whose life may bear examination, Mr. Henderson enjoys a well deserved respect among those with whom he has associated during a long period.
Daniel W. Hampton
Daniel W. Hampton, who is successfully engaged in agricultural and dairying interests in Linn county, owns a well improved farm of one hundred and twenty acres on section 1, Marion township. He is a native of the county, born January 21, 1858, a son of Oliver L. and Hannah G. (Gregg) Hampton, who were natives of Ohio, whence they removed to Linn county in 1854 and entered a tract of land. The father followed farming in this county until his death, which occurred in 1899. The mother, however, still survives at the age of sixty-seven, and makes her home in Maine township. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Oliver L. Hampton were born eight children but only three of the number are now living, the two brothers of our subject being Dilwin C., of Maine township, and Wilbur E.
Daniel W. Hampton was early trained to the work of the fields, assisting his father in the work on the home farm during the spring and summer months, while in the winter seasons he pursued his studies in the district schools near his home. He gave his father the benefit of his services until he attained his majority and then started out to make his own way in the world. He chose as his work the occupation to which he had been reared and rented a farm, which he operated for three years. He then purchased a tract of forty acres, located on section 1, Marion township, cultivating the same for five years. He then leased his land and made a trip to California, remaining on the Pacific coast for two years. On the expiration of that period he returned to Linn county and took up his abode on his own farm, where he remained during the succeeding four years. He then sold this land to advantage and removed to the place he now owns but for six years he rented the same. Since he became the owner he has made some improvements in the way of buildings, which are all arranged with a view to convenience, while everything about the place is keptin a neat and attractive condition, indicating the progressive and enterprising methods of the owner. While Mr. Hampton gives much of his time to general farming, he makes a specialty of the dairy business and of raising hogs, and in each branch of business he is meeting with success.
On September 18, 1879, occurred the marriage of Mr. Hampton and Miss Mary S. Vail, who was born in Belmont county, Ohio, in 1860. Her parents, Jesse and Mary Jane (Southers) Vail, left the Buckeye state in 1864 and located in Iowa. The father passed away in 1905, respected by all who knew him, but the mother is still living and now makes her home in Springville, Linn county.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hampton have been born seven children, four sons and three daughters, as follows: Alfred G., of Maine township; Emma Lura, the wife of Daniel M. Morris, a resident of Brown township, Linn county; Earl D., who graduated from Scattergood Seminary, in Cedar county, Iowa, and is now located in New Jersey; Millie, who died in infancy; Floyd, at home; Hattie, who was born July 31, 1894, and died on the 2d of February, 1909; and Dean at home.
Mr. Hampton gives his political support to the republican party and has served as road supervisor. He is also a member of the Farmers Practical Club, and in religious faith he is identified with the Friends church, of which his wife is also a member.
With the exception of a brief period spent on the Pacific coast, Mr. Hampton has spent his entire life in Linn county and the greater part of the time in Marion township, so that he is well known in this section of the state. His life has conformed to high ideals and those who know him or have business dealings with him have for him the highest regard.
William Ransom Harmon, D. D. S.
The life record of Dr. William R. Harmon is an eventful one. With no special advantages in his youth, he started out in life for himself at an early age and at different times has met with various hardships and difficulties, but with persistent effort he has continued on his way until success has crowned his efforts and he is now one of the leading dentists of Cedar Rapids. He was born in Marengo, Illinois, August 21, 1865, and is a son of Ransom J. and Mary Ann (Schane) Harmon, now residents of Davis City, Iowa. By occupation the father is a stone mason, plasterer and brick layer.
In early life Dr. Harmon attended the public schools of Davis City until seventeen years of age and then began earning his own livelihood, learning the trade of stone mason under the direction of his father. Throughout his business career, however, he has followed various occupations, being employed in a canning factory for two years, and for the same length of time was engaged in railroading. He next worked on a farm near Lincoln, Nebraska, for a year and later went to Wayne, Nebraska, where he was employed on his uncle's farm. His next removal made him a resident of Kansas City, where he worked at the stone mason's trade for two years. At one time he was also a resident of St. Joseph, Missouri, and while residing there was married on the 28th of March, 1890, to Miss Laura V. Hynds of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Harmon has been born a daughter, Alice, who is now the wife of Charles A. McDonald of Cedar Rapids. Shortly after his marriage he lost all that he had accumulated during the boom which swept over St. Joseph and the following winter was obliged to seek employment. The only thing he could obtain was a position as driver of a coal wagon, for which he was paid nine dollars per week.
On the 4th of September, 1891, Dr. Harmon came to Cedar Rapids and here worked at his trade for five years, during which time he took up the study of dentistry and passed an examination before the state board on the 2d of June, 1897, being licensed to practice his profession here. On the 15th of the following July he opened his present office and is now enjoying the largest practice of any dentist west of Chicago. His business has been incorporated with a capital of fifty thousand dollars, the stock being mostly owned by Iowa farmers. It has been his desire to give the poor man as good work at a low price as the rich man can get at a high price and in carrying out this idea he has met with remarkable success. Being at one time in very limited circumstances himself, he realized that there was an opening in Cedar Rapids for just such an establishment as he now conducts and the success that has come to him is certainly well merited. During his business career he has had many ups and downs but prosperity has at length crowned his efforts and he now has extensive real-estate interests in Iowa. Progressive and up-to-date in his methods, he has become widely known throughout the state as a dentist of more than ordinary ability and as a citizen stands high in the esteem of his fellowmen.
William E. Dean
William E. Dean, president of the Dean Land Company, with headquarters in Cedar Rapids, was born in Belvidere, Illinois, June 27, 1853. His parents, Edwin and Rebecca (Low) Dean, were both natives of Bangor, Maine, where they were reared and married. On leaving New England they made their way to Illinois, settling on a farm just south of Belvidere, where the father gave his attention to agricultural pursuits until called to his final rest, his death occurring in 1905, when he had reached the age of eighty-five years. His wife had passed away about ten years before. Mr. Dean was a republican in his political views and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, frequently called him to public office, his service as township trustee, county commissioner, highway commissioner and other positions winning him the favorable commendation of the general public.
William E. Dean was reared on the home farm and in the Belvidere high school continued his education, which had been begun in the district schools, At the early age of seventeen years he began teaching in the country schools, following that profession for two terms in Illinois and for three terms in small Minnesota towns. When he was only eighteen years of age the Dean Land Company was formed, the other partner being his brother, Henry E. Dean. Through the following winter William E. Dean continued to engage in school teaching for the purpose of acquiring funds to carry on the business. In May of 1872 the office of the company was established in what was then Marshfield, Minnesota, but is now Lincoln, Henry E. Dean remaining in the office there, while William E. Dean went to Albert Lea to superintend the interests of the company from that point, sending out prospective customers to his brother farther west. In 1873 he began reading law in the office and under the direction of J. A. Lovley, later supreme court judge ofthe state. He afterward read law in the office of A. G. Wedge, who was subsequently judge of the municipal court, and for one summer Judge Weymouth of Marshall, Minnesota, was his preceptor. During 1877 he attended the Iowa State University Law school at Iowa City. In 1878 he was admitted to the bar. He had not taken up the reading of law with the intention of practicing the profession but rather as a source of value to him in his other work. Nevertheless he gained an extensive practice before the United States land offices in land cases. In 1879 the offices of the Dean Land Company were removed from Marshfield to Tyler, Minnesota, when the Northwestern railroad was built through the latter place. In 1895 a further removal was made to What Cheer, Iowa, while in the fall of 1896 the headquarters of the firm were established at Cedar Rapids. In the early '80s Henry E. Dean withdrew from the firm on account of illness and the business for some years was carried on by William E. Dean independently. When his sons, Robert L. and William E., became old enough to share in the business they were admitted to a partnership and the firm once more became the Dean Land Company. Later a younger son, F. Edwin Dean, on reaching the age of manhood became a member of the firm. The Dean Land Company which was incorporated February 1, 1910, with a paid up capital of fifty thousand dollars, has been longer in business than any other Iowa real-estate firm handling Minnesota lands and they are the largest exclusive dealers in Minnesota property.
In 1881 William E. Dean was married to Miss Mary Starr, of Lincoln county, Minnesota, and unto them were born two sons, Robert L. and William E. The wife and mother died in 1889 and Mr. Dean afterward wedded Miss Pauline L. Reck, of Wabasha county, Minnesota, the wedding being celebrated in December, 1892. Their four children are F. Edwin, Velma P., Alice and Jack H.
In his political views Mr. Dean is an earnest republican and served as probate judge of Lincoln county, Minnesota. While living in that state he was also for many years chairman of the republican committee and has been an earnest and effective worker in the ranks of the party. He belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, his membership being at Lake Benton, Minnesota, and he is also identified with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Fraternal Bankers Association, while his son William E. belongs to the Elks lodge. Connected with real-estate dealing from the age of eighteen years and a moving spirit in the Dean Land Company since that time, William E. Dean has conducted extensive operations in Minnesota property and has made the business of which he is the head one of the important enterprises of the kind in the northwest, his efforts contributing largely to the upbuilding and development of Minnesota.
Earl W. Fernow
Earl W. Fernow is one of the younger representatives of farming interests in Linn county, for he is now operating seventy-two acres, which constitutes a portion of the old homestead farm in Marion township. Mr. Fernow is a native of Linn county, born July 9, 1880, a son of Samuel and Barbara (McArthur) Fernow, the former now dereased. The parents were both natives of Ross county, Ohio, the father born October 9, 1835, while the mother was born in 1841. The father accompanied his parents on their removal from the Buckeye state to Linn county, where he was actively identified with agricultural pursuits until the time of his death, which occurred in 1884. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Fernow were born six children: Mary A., the wife of J. H. Crew, of Linn county; Edward L. and Fred P., also living in Linn county; Lulu B., the deceased wife of A. H. Drew, now of Marion; E. W., of this review; and Carl L., a twin brother of E. W., who is at home with his mother. More extended mention is made of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Fernow on another page of this work.
E. W. Fernow was a little lad of but four years at the time of his father's death. He was reared in the home of his mother and acquired his education in the common schools, completing the high-school course. He remained under the parental roof until he attained his majority and then secured employment as a clerk in a clothing store at Marion, being thus engaged for ten years. Believing, however, that farm pursuits would prove more congenial to him, he then rented a tract of land in 1908 and began farming and at the present time he is operating seventy-two acres, of which fifteen acres is a part of the old homestead. He is meeting with success in his work and is classed among the enterprising young men of Marion township.
On the 21st of May, 1903, occurred the marriage of Mr. Fernow and Miss Grace D. Clements, who was born January 11, 1882, a daughter of Joseph J. and Grace L. (Reed) Clements. The father was born in Ireland, while the birth of the mother occurred in England. They emigrated to America in 1850 and for many years the father was engaged in the hardware business. His death occurred April 15, 1900, but the mother still survives and makes her home in Marengo, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Clements were the parents of seven children. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Fernow has been blessed with a little daughter, Elizabeth Marian, whose birth occurred May 8, 1904.
Mr. Fernow gives his political support to the republican party and is now serving as clerk of Marion township. His fraternal relations are with the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Marion, while both he and his wife hold membership with the Presbyterian church of this city. They are young people of the highest worth and respectability and have a host of warm friends in the community in which they live, the hospitality of their pleasant home being extended to all.
Theodore C. Munger
At the age of seventy years Theodore C. Munger is living retired in Cedar Rapids, where he established his home twenty-nine years ago. Through much of this period he has been an active factor in business circles, instituting and controlling interests which have constituted an important element in the commercial activity of the city. He has also become known in financial circles and his name has long been a most honored one on commercial paper. A native of Oneida county, New York, Mr. Munger was born September 4, 1839, of the marriage of Theodore H. and Emeline T. (Hanchett) Munger. The family is of English lineage and the progenitor of the family in the new world became one of the colonial settlers of Massachusetts. The name of Munger figures on the Revolutionary war records, as one of the ancestors of Theodore C. Munger stood with that valiant band of American soldiers, who on the Lexington green faced the British troops and fired the first volleys of the revolution that was to result in establishing the greatest republic on the face of the globe. The great-grandfather of Theodore C. Munger was a native of Massachusetts and on leaving New England became one of the pioneers of Oneida county, New York. The grandfather, Reuben Munger, lived in that county in the period of its early development and it was there that Theodore H. Munger was born in 1815. His youthful days were spent in the acquirement of an education and in the performance of such duties as were assigned him by parental authority, and when he had attained his majority he turned his attention to merchandising in what is now Deansboro, Oneida county, New York. While residing there he was united in marriage to Miss Emeline T. Hanchett, also a native of Oneida county, where her father had settled in pioneer times. Her death occurred in New York in 1843 and Theodore H. Munger afterward married again. In 1845 he came to Illinois, sailing around the Great Lakes and continuing his journey across this state to Peoria in one of the old-time moving wagons designated as a prairie schooner. He began farming in Peoria county, but subsequently removed to Fulton county, Illinois, where he put in operation an oil and saw mill. After engaging in the manufacture of lumber for a time he went to California in 1852 and continued his residence in the Golden state up to the time of his death.
Theodore C. Munger spent the first five years of his life in the Empire state and then accompanied his father to Illinois. The journey was one of marvelous interest to the young boy and many incidents thereof were indelibly impressed upon his memory. Much of his youth was spent in Peoria and Fulton counties of Illinois, where he pursued his studies in the public schools, although his opportunities
Caption: T. C. Mungerin that direction were somewhat limited. In 1854 after the father's death he feturned to New York and for a time attended school in Clinton, that state. Following the completion of his course he returned to Illinois, where he engaged in teaching school until after the outbreak of the Civil war. In the opening year of hostilities between the north and the south he offered his services to the country in response to President Lincoln's first call for troops, but as the quota for the state was full the regiment was not accepted, but went into state service for thirty days. Soon it was seen that the war was to be no mere holiday affair and that a larger army was needed to conquer the rebellious south. Again President Lincoln issued a call for more troops and the Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry entered the service for three years. He was engaged in active duty for three years with the Army of the Tennessee and participated in many important engagements, including those of Fredericktown, Fort Donelson, the siege of Corinth and the siege of Vicksburg. He was first under fire, however, at Fredericktown, Missouri. He likewise took part in the battle of Hatchers Run, Iuka and the battle of Yazoo. An interesting feature in the military chapter of his history concerns a capture which he and a comrade, Chauncey Callaway, made on the 22d of May, 1863. They succeeded in capturing three prisoners, who were fully armed with loaded muskets and were hiding under a brush heap, which they supposed was surrounded by the Union forces. This was during the storming of Vicksburg, when Mr. Munger and his companion were on the skirmish line. The Seventeenth Illinois Infantry, as a part of the command of General John A. Logan, was the first regiment to march into Vicksburg. On the expiration of his three years' term of service Mr. Munger was honorably discharged at Springfield, Illinois, in June, 1864, at which time he held the rank of sergeant.
Returning to his home with a most creditable military record, he engaged in farming in Fulton county, Illinois, for two years and on the expiration of that period established an agricultural implement business in La Harpe, Illinois, which he carried on until 1878. He was also a traveling salesman a part of this time. In 1879 and 1880 he engaged in the manufacture of wooden pumps at La Harpe. Mr. Munger has been a resident of Cedar Rapids since 1881 and conducted a jobbing business in pumps here until 1885. He formed a partnership with James La Tourette, a pump manufacturer of St. Louis, Missouri, who the year previous had established a branch here. In 1885 a stock company was formed under the name of the Cedar Rapids Pump Company, of which Mr. La Tourette became president, with Mr. Munger as secretary, treasurer and general manager and L. M. Rich as superintendent. The entire stock was held by those three gentlemen, who in the development of the business enlarged the plant until employment was given to many workmen. Mr. Munger remained active in control of the business up to the time of his retirement in 1902. He still holds his financial connection with the enterprise and is vice president of the company, which established business on a very modest scale. Largely owing to the ability, keen insight and unabating energy of Mr. Munger it was developed along substantial lines, becoming one of the most important manufacturing industries not only of Cedar Rapids but of the entire state. The rapid growth of the business led to the building of a factory in 1885 -- a brick structure, one hundred by one hundred feet, two stories in height, on G avenue, bordering the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, and many subsequent additions have since been made to the plant. It was thoroughly equipped with modern machinery and furnished with steam power. The company was originally capitalized for twenty-five thousand dollars, but this was increased from time to time until the present capital is one hundred thousand dollars. As the years passed by Mr. Munger further extended his efforts, becoming a director of the Merchants National Bank and the president of the Cedar Rapids Building & Loan Association. His invested interests are of a character that bring to him substantial return, numbering him among the men of affluence in his adopted city.
Mr. Munger was united in marriage in Hancock county, Illinois, October 17, 1877, to Miss Grace Breed, who was born in Fulton county, Illinois and was a daughter of Amos and Mary (Flower) Breed, who were married in that state. Her father was a native of Connecticut and on his removal westward in 1833 became one of the pioneers of Fulton county, Illinois. His father, Jonas Breed, was born in Stonington. Connecticut, and was of English lineage, the family having been represented on American soil since 1630. His ancestors first located in Massachusetts and were among those who fought for the independence of the colonies in the Revolutionary war, taking part in the battle of Bunker Hill, the engagement, however, occurring on Breed's Hill, which was the family estate. At an early period in the colonization of the new world representatives of the same settled in Connecticut and successive generations were represented there. Amos Breed removing from Connecticut to Hancock county, Illinois. Mrs. Munger was reared in Illinois and there resided until she accompanied her husband on the removal to Cedar Rapids. She died in 1902 and her death was deeply regretted by many friends. By her marriage she had become the mother of nine children, Alice, Ruth, Mary, Bessie, Grant B., John M., James La T., Clara Belle and Winnifred. The family home is at No. 837 Second avenue, but Mr. Munger spends the winters in California.
Mr. Munger still feels deep interest in the boys in blue, as is indicated through his membership in Cook Post, G. A. R. He gives his political support to the republican party, which was the defense of the Union during the dark days of the Civil war and, while not a politician in the sense of office seeking, has served as alderman from the eighth ward for two years. He is regarded as an exemplary representative of the Masonic fraternity and is a member and trustee of the Universalist church. There is not one esoteric phase in his entire career. He has sought success along the legitimate lines of trade and commerce and his keen insight has enabled him to note and improve opportunities which others have passed heedlessly by. His labors. too, have been of a character that have contributed to general progress and prosperity as well as to individual success and he may, therefore, be justly classed among Cedar Rapids' representative men.
George Hutton is sole proprietor of the Marion greenhouse, which is one of the largest in the country, for his close attention to business and careful management has developed an enterprise of extensive and profitable proportions. He was born on Guernsey of the Channel islands, England, September 23, 1865, and is a son of Thomas and Ellen (Randall) Hutton, the former a photographer by profession. The family numbered eight children, of whom three are in America: Albert, Percy and George.
George Hutton was educated in England and after his school days were over went to London, where he became connected with a greenhouse. There he gained extensive information and experience concerning the care, propagation and cultivation of flowers and plants, and later he went to France and Germany, where he continued in the same line. Undoubtedly one of the chief sources of his success is the fact that he has given his entire life to this business, never dissipating his energies over a varied field. On crossing the Atlantic to the United States he settled first in Boston, Massachusetts, where he remained for about three years. He then went to San Francisco, where he continued for a year, and later he came to Marion on a visit to his brothers, Albert and Percy. Believing that this locality furnished a good field for one in his line, he established a greenhouse about ten years ago and has developed the business up to its present high standard and large extent. He sells to the retail trade and now has a very gratifying patronage, for in his greenhouse he grows a most attractive line of shrubs and flowering plants for which he finds a good market.
On the 13th of October, 1908, Mr. Hutton was married to Miss Olga M. Kaiser, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Kaiser, of Marion. They have a pleasant home in Marion and a circle of friends almost coextensive with the circle of their acquaintance. Mrs. Hutton is the sixth in order of birth in a family of eight children, the others being: Margaret, the wife of Charles Peters, of Pekin, Illinois; Paulina, the wife of Frank Charles, of Jefferson, Iowa; Louise, the wife of August Boler, of Lancaster, Ohio; Albert Kaiser, a resident of Marion, Iowa; Minnie, the wife of George Bartlett, of Ogden, Utah; Rosa, the wife of William Speakman, of Marion, Iowa; and George Kaiser, also of Marion.