John A. Marquis, D. D., LL.D.
Dr. John A. Marquis was born on a farm near Cross Creek village in the vicinity of Burgettstown, Washington county, Pennsylvania, and is a representative of one of the old colonial families of Huguenot lineage. The first of the name in America was William Marquis, who settled in Virginia in 1720. From that time to the present, representatives of the name have born active and helpful part in the work of progress in the various communities in which they have lived. John Marquis, the great-grandfather of Dr. Marquis, was a colonial scout and served as a soldier in what is known as Lord Dunmore's war in 1774-1775. About that time the family removed to Pennsylvania and there took up their abode. John Marquis was among the pioneers of that state, who fought the Indians during the Revolutionary war. His son John Marquis, Junior, was a native of Washington county, Pennsylvania, and at the time of the second war with England he served under General William Henry Harrison. He was the father of James Taggart Marquis, who was born on the old family homestead in Washington county, Pennsylvania, where he is still living at the venerable age of eighty-five years. He has devoted his life to farming and has always continued at the home farm. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Bucher, is also living.
Their family included Dr. Marquis of this review. His youthful days were spent at the ancestral home. After attending the public schools he prepared for college at the Cross Creek Academy. Later he engaged in teaching school in his home county and thereby acquired at least part of the funds necessary for the expense of a college course. Matriculating in Washington and Jefferson College, he there pursued his studies to graduation with the class of 1885, after which he became an instructor in Blairsville College for Women, Blairsville, Pennsylvania, occupying the chair of science for two years. On the expiration of that period he entered the Western Theological Seminary and was graduated with the class of 1890. He then became assistant pastor of the First Presbyterian church at Greensburg, Pennsylvania, where he remained for two years. He also organized the Westminster church of the same town and remained its pastor for ten years, or until 1902. In that year he went to the Pacific coast to accept the pastorate of the First Presbyterian church of Redlands, California, where he continued for three years, or until November, 1905, when he became pastor of the First Presbyterian church at Beaver, Pennsylvania, where he remained for four years, or until the 1st of December, 1909, when he assumed the presidency of Coe College at Cedar Rapids. Since 1898 he has been a trustee of Washington and Jefferson College of Pennsylvania, and a director in the Theological Seminary at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. For ten years he was associate editor of the Presbyterian Banner.
On the 1st of September, 1896, Dr. Marquis was married to Miss Martha Neilson, a daughter of John and Sarah (Miller) Neilson. The father came from Larue, Ireland, to America in his youthful days and was reared in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. Unto Dr. and Mrs. Marquis have been born two daughters and two sons: Sarah, who is now in school; James T., now deceased; John Neilson; and Elizabeth.
Abel L. Cory
An excellent farm of one hundred acres situated on section 12, Marion township, is the property of Abel L. Cory and returns to him golden harvests for the care and labor which he bestows on the fields. Stock-raising is also a feature of his business and contributes to his success. Mr. Cory has long resided in this county, being brought to Iowa by his parents in his boyhood days. He was born in England, February 16, 1851, and is the son of William and Elizabeth (Marshal) Cory, both of whom were natives of the same country. In the year 1853 they bade adieu to their native land and crossed the Atlantic to the new world, that they might verify the reports which had reached them concerning the better opportunities offered on this side of the Atlantic. Later William Cory purchased land in Linn county and in this part of the state reared his family which numbered nine children, of whom three are still living: Samuel E., who resides in Cedar Rapids; Abel L., of this review, and Elizabeth A., the wife of Samuel E. Martin of Marion. The mother departed this life on the 21st of January, 1886, and the father died in December, 1887, both being in the seventy-sixth year of their age when called to their final rest. They were earnest Christian people, holding membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, and their upright lives won for him the high regard of all with whom they came in contact.
In his youthful days Abel L. Cory attended the public schools and afterward gave his entire attention to the work of the home farm until he had attained his majority when he entered Cornell College, ambitious to secure a good education. Later he engaged in teaching school through the winter months, while in the summer seasons he followed farming for ten years. In 1888 he purchased the farm on which he now resides, comprising one hundred acres of land on section 12, Marion township. For twenty-two years he has devoted his attention to its development and further improvement and upon the place are good buildings and well kept fences that surround acres of cultivated fields. In the feed lots and pastures are found good grades of stock, for he makes a specialty of raising and breeding Poland China hogs and other stock.
Pleasantly situated in his home life, Abel L. Cory was married in 1880 to Miss Palmyra Rundall, who was born in Kentucky on the 14th of April, 1856, and is a daughter of Silas W. and Rachel (Manly) Rundall. The father was a native of the state of New York and the mother of Ohio and at an early date in the history of Linn county they became residents of Iowa. The mother died in August, 1881, and the father is still living in Marion and has attained the age of seventy-eight years. Their family numbered five children including Mrs. Cory, who was liberally educated and after attending Cornell College, at Mt. Vernon, engaged in teaching for eight years, imparting readily and clearly to others the knowledge that she had acquired. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Cory were born four children but the eldest and the third died in infancy. Edith, who was born October 1, 1882, is the only surviving member of the family for Alice the fourth child, has also passed away.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Cory hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and live according to its teachings, seeking at all times to follow the golden rule. Mr. Cory gives his political endorsement to the republican party and he is now serving as township trustee. He is faithful to duty, whether it be of a political or social nature, or has to do with his business affairs. He works conscientiously and energetically for the attainment of success and his well kept farm is visible evidence of his life of well directed thrift and industry. He has now lived in this county for more than half a century and deserves mention among its early settlers.
Andrew Hanna Conn
Andrew Hanna Conn, a patent attorney and a manufacturer of hardware specialties in Cedar Rapids, attaining success in both branches of business by reason of his close application, earnest purpose and well developed powers, was born in Iowa county, Iowa, on the 3d of December, 1860, and is a son of Robert and Adeline (Hanna) Conn. The paternal grandparents were Robert and Mary Conn, who on leaving the Emerald isle brought their family to America and became residents of Wayne county, Ohio. Later they established their home at Defiance, Ohio, and in 1867 Robert Conn, Sr., arrived in Iowa, where he made his home up to the time of his death, living retired upon the farm until called to his final rest at the very venerable age of ninety-three years. His son, Robert Conn, Jr., the father of our subject, was a native of Ireland but was of English parentage. During his active life he followed both merchandising and farming and about twenty years ago he became a resident of Cedar Rapids, where he afterward retired from active life. At the time of the Civil war he joined the Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry and served through the period of hostilities, participating in the battles of Corinth and of Vicksburg. He was also connected with the regiment in a clerical capacity and was promoted to the rank of sergeant. He now makes his home at 1537 First avenue and is numbered among the retired men of the city, whose worth of character and record for reliability and progressiveness in business well entitle them to the high regard in which they are held.
Andrew H. Conn, spending his youthful days upon the home farm, early became familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. In the summer months he worked in the fields and in the winter seasons pursued his education in the common schools. He afterward completed a commercial course at Valparaiso, Indiana, after which hewent to Blairstown, Iowa, being connected with the business interests of that place until he went upon the road as a traveling salesman. In 1894 he came to Cedar Rapids and has taken up manufacturing here. In this line he has been very successful and is now conducting a growing and profitable business as a manufacturer of hardware specialties. He is also one of Linn county's patent attorneys and in this connection has made an equally good record.
On the 17th of March, 1886, Mr. Conn was married to Miss Edith Russell, a daughter of Alexander and Jeannie (Waldron) Russell. Her father came from Ohio to Iowa, having previously lived in Meigs county in the former state. He was yet a young man when he removed to Linn county and at the time of the Civil war he espoused the Union cause, enlisting in the eleventh Iowa Infantry. Following his return to the north after the cessation of hostilities he carried on merchandising in Kingston and was also appointed postmaster there. He proved a progressive citizen of the community and as a business man made a commendable record.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Conn have been born three children: Harold R., who is now attending college; Reina, a high-school student; and Dorothy W., who is also in school. The family belong to the Congregational church and take an active and helpful interest in its work. Mrs. Conn is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and is much interested in the Young Women's Christian Association and Sunshine mission work and is serving on the board of St. Luke's Hospital. Mr. Conn is a Mason and has attained high rank in the order, being now a member of the consistory. The steps in his orderly progression are easily discernible. He has made advancement through the wise utilization of the opportunities that have come to him and the simple weight of his character and ability has carried him into important commercial and professional relations.
Washington Benjamin Carpenter
Washington Benjamin Carpenter was for many years identified with farming interests and although now living retired, making his home in Marion, is still the owner of a valuable and productive farm of four hundred and eighty-five acres, situated about five miles north of the city in which he lives. He was born in Delaware county, New York, and is a son of David P. and Rachel (Brownell) Carpenter. The father always resided in his native state. He was a soldier of the war of 1812, serving with the rank of captain, while two of his brothers, George and Thomas Carpenter, were soldiers in the Revolutionary war.
Washington B. Carpenter is one of a family of thirteen children but only he and his brother Caleb, a resident of Pennsylvania, now survive. He attended the common schools and worked on the home farm with his father in his youthful days but thinking that his opportunities were limited by the confines of the farm, he afterward went to New York city, where he remained for eleven years, which brought him up to the time that he was thirty-five years of age. He then left the east and, making his way to Iowa, settled at Mount Vernon, where he purchased two hundred and seventy-five acres and began the development of a new farm. Later he located on the place which he now owns in the vicinity of Marion, in 1870. Year after year he carefully tilled the fields, bringing the place under a high state of cultivation and became, through judicious investment, the owner of four hundred and eighty-five acres of valuable land, which he continued to cultivate with gratifying success until about fifteen years ago, when he turned the active work of the farm over to others and took up his abode in Marion. He has the proud record of raising the finest steer ever produced in the state, it weighing thirty-six hundred pounds in Chicago when four years old.
Mr. Carpenter was married on the 21st of March, 1852, to Miss Frances Mason, and unto them were born three children. Alfred M., the eldest, is a farmer of this county, who married Alice Simpson, and unto them were born eight children: Blanch, the wife of Robert Larry; Florence, the wife of Lou Mattis, by whom she has one child, Louie; Frances, the wife of Andrew Falcon, and the mother of two children, Gladys and Norman; Emily, the wife of Alfred Busenbark; one child, a boy, who died in infancy; Pearl, the wife of Marion Owen, by whom she has a daughter, Alice; Cora, the wife of Sumner Jordan and the mother of a daughter, Isabel; and Donald. After the death of his first wife, Alfred M. Carpenter wedded Marjorie Goodlove, and their children are Dorothy and Charlotte. Claud C. Carpenter, the second son of W. B. Carpenter, married Miss Elizabeth Beall, and their children are: W. B., at home; Belle, the wife of Joseph Napier; Clinton C., attending college in Ames, Iowa; and Ralph, at home. For his second wife Claud C. Carpenter chose Stella Stinson and they have four children, Frances,
Caption: W. B. CarpenterMary, Howard and Irene. Cora, the third child of W. B. Carpenter, is the wife of Charles Herr. They had a daughter, Louise, now deceased. After losing his first wife Mr. Carpenter of this review wedded Elizabeth Cooper, a native of County Down, Ireland.
In his fraternal relations Mr. Carpenter is a Mason and has attained the Knight Templar degree. He has always been interested in the welfare of the community and has aided in promoting its moral progress as a member of the Methodist church. He was one of the organizers of the Farmers & Merchants State Bank at Marion and is still one of its directors. He belongs to the Old Settlers Association and takes an active interest in its meetings and in recalling the early days when this was a pioneer district in which the work of improvement and development had scarcely begun. Through his business life he took anactive part in promoting the agricultural progress of the county and he has been an interested witness of its growth along many lines since coming to the county more than four decades ago.
For more than a half century Jacob Shadle has made his home in Linn county, so that he well deserves mention among the pioneer citizens in a history of this character. He was born in Center county, Pennsylvania, October 18, 1831, the youngest and the only surviving member in a family of fourteen children born unto Jonathan and Mary Shadle, who were likewise natives of the Keystone state, where they lived and died.
Jacob Shadle was thrown upon his own resources at the early age of seven years and from that time on he has depended upon his own labor for a livelihood. He managed, however, to acquire a common-school education and in early life learned the blacksmith's trade, which he has followed during the greater part of his life. At the age of twenty-four years he sought a home in the middle west, journeying as far as Illinois in 1855, and spending two years in the Prairie state. In 1857 he made a permanent location in Linn county, Iowa, and purchased his present farm of one hundred and five acres, situated on section 12, Marion township. He made all of the improvements on the place and for many years was actively identified with its cultivation, while he also followed the blacksmith's trade. He still makes his home on his farm and although he has reached the advanced age of seventy-nine years, he still gives supervision to his farm work.
It was after locating in Linn county, that Mr. Shadle was married, in 1860, to Miss Mary G. Patterson, who was born in Ohio in 1841, a daughter of Joseph and Grace (Beck) Patterson, who were likewise natives of the Buckeye state, where they lived until called to their final rest. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Shadle have been born three daughters, namely: Sarah E., the wife of L. F. Emmons, of Linn county; Rachel E., the wife of O. H. Winchel, their home being in the state of Washington; and Nettie, the wife of L. F. Marshall, a resident of Springville, Linn county.
Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise Mr. Shadle has voted for the candidates of the republican party but he has never been active as an office seeker. He was reared in the faith of the Methodist church, while Mrs. Shadle was reared in the faith of the Friends Society. Mr. Shadle is well known as a pioneer of the county and is a most industrious and useful man, whose probity is an unquestioned element in his career. In daily life he is genial and affable, intelligence and goodness are his decisions of merit and neither love nor power can make him oblivious to principles of right and duty. He stands today crowned with honors and years, respected by young and old, and now in the evening of his days he can look back over a life well spent, feeling that he has not lived in vain.
William A. Black
William A. Black, whose demise occurred on the 11th of February, 1904, came to this state after the close of the Civil war and continued to reside in Linn county until called to his final rest. He worked at both carpentering and farming and became the owner of three valuable and well improved farms, from which he derived a gratifying annual income. His birth occurred in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, his parents being John and Susan (Hoffman) Black. The father, who was an agriculturist by occupation, died of typhoid fever in comparatively early manhood. Mr. Black of this review followed farming and carpentering until the outbreak of hostilities between the north and south, when he enlisted in defense of the Union as a private of Company E, Twenty-first Pennsylvania Cavalry, with which he served for about three years. His colonel was a member of Grant's staff and a very prominent officer of the Civil war. After the supremacy of the Union had been established Mr. Black came to Iowa and throughout the remainder of his life here devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits, also working at his trade to some extent. Alert, enterprising and energetic, he won a gratifying measure of prosperity in his undertakings and eventually became the owner of three productive farms. Upright and honorable in all of his dealings, he gained the respect and esteem of those with whom business or social relations brought him in contact and was widely recognized as a substantial and representative citizen of his community.
As a companion and helpmate on the journey of life Mr. Black chose Miss Margaret Brown, a daughter of Jesse and Clarissa (Catt) Brown. Her father, a farmer by occupation, came to this state from South Carolina, locating first in Benton county, where he owned two hundred and forty acres of land and became a prominent citizen. Mr. and Mrs. Black were the parents of four children, as follows: Clara, who gave her hand in marriage to Charles Richardson, of Glenburn, North Dakota; Jesse Samuel Ayres, who is married and has fourteen children; Harry A., residing in San Antonio, Texas; and Maud, who is deceased, as is also her husband, Elmer Jamison. Mr. and Mrs. Jamison had a daughter, Verona, who became the wife of Calvin Littlepage, by whom she has one child, Duane.
Fraternally Mr. Black was identified with the Masons, while his religious faith was indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. His widow now makes her home in Kenwood Park and has an extensive circle of friends throughout the community, her many excellent traits of heart and mind having endeared her to all who knew her.
R. D. Taylor
One of the energetic and progressive business men of Cedar Rapids is R. D. Taylor, who is now so efficiently serving as secretary of the Fraternal Bankers' Reserve Society. He is a native of Mantorville, Minnesota, his natal day being September 9, 1868. His father, Robert Taylor, is an attorney of Kasson, Minnesota, who in early manhood married Miss Pamelia Lord, a native of Pennsylvania, who became the mother of our subject.
The preliminary education of R. D. Taylor was acquired in the public schools and later he entered Carleton College at Northfield, Minnesota, from which he was graduated in 1893. Previous to taking up his college work, however, he had engaged in teaching school for a time and after his graduation resumed that profession, following it for seven years thereafter. In 1900 he began preparation for the legal profession by entering the law school of the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis and on the completion of the course was admitted to the bar. For five years he engaged in practice in Minnesota and at the end of that period came to Cedar Rapids to accept his present position as secretary of the Fraternal Bankers' Reserve Society. This society was organized in 1901 by some of the leading citizens of Cedar Rapids, it being a fraternal benefit association operating on the lodge system, and now has a membership of seven thousand, the local lodge in Cedar Rapids having six hundred members. It is largely through his untiring efforts that the society has attained to its present prosperous condition, for he is a man of keen insight, progressive and energetic, who usually carries to successful completion whatever he undertakes. Religiously he is an earnest member of the First Presbyterian church.
Mr. Taylor was married on the 26th of June, 1895, to Miss Alfaretta Jenkins, a daughter of Rev. W. M. Jenkins, a Congregational minister of Cannon Falls, Minnesota. Theynow have three children, namely: Robert Harmon, in his fourteenth year; Lawrence L., ten years of age; and Eleanor, three years old. During their residence in Cedar Rapids the family has become widely and favorably known.
Joseph R. Kerns
Joseph R. Kerns, identified with farming interests in Marion township, his farm comprising a good tract of land of one hundred and twenty acres, was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, on the 12th of November, 1848. His father, Josiah Kerns, was also a native of the Keystone state, but the mother, Mrs. Jane (Brown) Kerns, was born in Scotland. For a few years after their marriage they continued residents of Pennsylvania and in 1849 removed to Indiana where the death of Mrs. Kerns occurred in 1854. The following year the father came with his family to Iowa and settled in Linn county where he purchased land and spent the remainder of his life but died while on a visit to Arkansas in 1888. He was long remembered as among the energetic and representative farmers of this part of the state. The family numbered eight children, but only two are now living, the younger being James Kerns, a resident of Fargo, North Dakota.
J. R. Kerns whose name introduces this review was a lad of only seven years when the family home was established in Linn county. He resided on his father's farm until he had attained his majority, during which period he acquired a good common school education. He afterward worked as a farm hand until twenty-six years of age and then was married and began farming on his own account. For six years he rented land, during which time he carefully saved his earnings until his capital was sufficient to enable him to purchase the farm of one hundred and twenty acres upon which he now resides. He at once began its further development and improvement and soon was gathering rich crops as a reward for his care and industry. Later he bought a piece of timber land which he has also cleared and developed. He is engaged quite extensively in raising and feeding stock and has met with substantial success in that branch of his business. He is practical in all that he does and earnest, untiring effort is the basis of his prosperity.
On January 13, 1875, Mr. Kerns was united in marriage to Miss Mercy Lacock, who was born in this county in 1855 and is a daughter of Joab and Elizabeth (Bassett) Lacock, both of whom were natives of Indiana, whence they came to Iowa in 1854, continuing their residence here up to the time when they were called to their final home. They were the parents of four children. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Kerns have been born a daughter and a son: Minnie M., a graduate of the Marion high school, after which she engaged in teaching for two years, is now the wife of Claude C. Scott and has two children,--Clifford H. and Helen L. Clifford, the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Kerns, was born February 8, 1881, and died October 16, 1900, his remains being laid to rest in Oak Shade cemetery. His death was an irreparable blow to his parents and a matter of deepest regret to many friends.
Mr. and Mrs. Kerns hold membership in the Presbyterian church and are loyal to its teachings and its principles. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party and is at present serving as township trustee and for eight years held the office of trustee. He belongs to the Odd Fellows lodge at Marion and his life has been well spent, his many sterling traits of character gaining for him a high regard, while his unfaltering diligence is the basis of the substantial success which he is now enjoying.
Mordecai Edwards Bunting
Mordecai Edwards Bunting, filling the position of city weighmaster at Marion and proving his loyalty to public interests in his faithful performance of duty, resides at No. 436 South Eleventh street. He was born in Zanesville, Ohio, and is a son of John and Mary (Edwards) Bunting and the grandson of John and Hannah Bunting. The grandfather was a native of Virginia and with his family removed to the Buckeye state, where both he and his wife spent their remaining days. Their son, John Bunting, Jr., was born in Culpeper county, Virginia, and was a representative of one of the old and prominent families there, the Buntings being identified with plantation interests in the south. In his boyhood days he left the Old Dominion and became a resident of Mansfield, Ohio, while later he made his home in Zanesville, where he was married. Thinking to find still better business opportunities in a region further west, where advantages were easier obtained because competition was not so strenuous, he came to Iowa in October, 1856, making his way to Marion. Soon afterward he purchased land five miles northwest of the county seat and the farm which he there improved and developed became known as the old Bunting homestead. Under his management it was transformed into productive fields and many modern improvements and accessories were added. He died in Marion in August, 1880, and his wife died at the same place on the 20th of February, 1893.
Mordecai Edwards Bunting, who was the sixth in order of birth in a family of ten children, began his education in the district schools of Muskingum county, Ohio, but following the arrival of the family in Iowa he continued his studies in the public schools of Linn county for five years. He then taught school for some time and in 1862 was employed as teacher of the school which he had attended, some of his pupils being his old classmates. He taught for twelve consecutive winter terms in Marion township, receiving at first only twenty dollars per month, out of which salary he had to pay his board. During the vacation periods he was employed at farm work, being early instructed in the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. He continued to assist his father in farming for some time but was ambitious to establish a home of his own and in the fall of 1867 purchased one hundred and sixty acres of unimproved land near Marion, on which not a furrow had been turned. He at once commenced its development and today has one of the most valuable farms of Linn county.
It was on the 30th of November, 1865, that Mr. Bunting wedded Miss Lucy A. Ives, a daughter of Norman and Hannah (Gray) Ives, who were early settlers in this part of the state. He took his wife to the farm and there they reared their family of five children, namely: Effie M., who is now the wife of Dr. F. E. Miller, of Cedar Rapids and has one child, Isabella; Hallie I., a retired farmer now connected with the Iowa Motor Company of Cedar Rapids, and who married Lydia Eidamiller; B. Laura, who is prominent in the musical circles of Sioux City, being a fine vocalist and pianist; William E., who is employed by the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company and is located at Miles City, Montana; and Norman E., an expert draftsman at Chicago with the International Harvester Company. He wedded Mary June and their children are Norma and Howard Jennings.
As the years passed by Mr. Bunting continued to cultivate his fields and harvest his crops and met with fair success in his undertakings, but at length retired from the farm and established his home in Marion, where in April, 1909, he was appointed city weighmaster, which position he is still filling. His fraternal relations are with the Knights of Pythias and politically he is a democrat. He has served as a member of the board of supervisors and in various township offices, the duties of which hedischarged with promptness and fidelity. He is a very prominent and helpful member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he is serving as a class leader, and his life work in every relation has been in harmony with his profession as a member of the church.
Orrie C. Olney
Orrie C. Olney, the secretary and treasurer of the Cedar Rapids Candy Company, was born on a farm five miles east of Marion, in Linn county, Iowa, on the 5th of December, 1871, his parents being Charles and Margaret (Gibson) Olney. His mother died when he was but eight years of age and he then became a member of the household of James E. Bromwell, a prominent neighboring agriculturist, with whom he remained until he had attained his twenty-fourth year. When fourteen years of age he went to work as messenger boy in the A. Daniels Bank at Marion and was later promoted to a clerkship, continuing in the employ of the institution for about six years or until its failure. Subsequently he spent three years as clerk in the Daniels Hotel at Marion and then came to Cedar Rapids, here accepting a position as billing clerk in the wholesale grocery establishment of P. C. Frick & Company, whom he served for about nine months. He next became bookkeeper in the wholesale fruit house of Lagomarcino-Grupe Company and thus served for three years, resigning in 1898 in order that he might accept a similar position in the office of the Cedar Rapids Candy Company. On the 1st of January, 1906, he became a stockholder in the concern and was made secretary and treasurer of the company, in which official capacity he has ably represented its interests to the present time. He is widely recognized as one of the progressive, enterprising and successful business men of Cedar Rapids and has justly earned the proud American title of a self-made man, having worked his way steadily upward from a position of obscurity to one of considerable prominence for one of his years.
On the 30th of April, 1903, Mr. Olney was united in marriage to Miss Clara A. Morehead, a daughter of Dr. James and Lydia (Stream) Morehead, of Marion, Iowa. He is a republican in politics but has never sought nor desired public preferment. The Cedar Rapids Commercial Club numbers him among its members and he also belongs to the Cedar Rapids Country Club. He delights in golf and fishing as a recreation. In the county which has remained his place of residence from his birth to the present time he has an extensive circle of warm friends, many of whom frequently gather at his handsome and hospitable home at No. 119 North Seventeenth street East.
Henry C. Henderson
Henry C. Henderson, who is busily engaged in the operation of his farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Jackson township, also devotes considerable attention to the raising of stock and in both branches of his business has met with creditable success. His birth occurred on the old Henderson homestead in Jackson township on the 17th of February, 1874, his parents being Peter G. and Jane Arabelle (Mills) Henderson. A sketch of the father is given on another page of this volume.
Henry C. Henderson was reared under the parental roof and obtained his early education in the common schools, while subsequently he attended the Cedar Rapids Business College. He was married at the age of twenty-three years but remained with his parents for two years longer, assisting his father in the operation of the home farm. In 1899 he purchased and located upon eighty acres of his present place in Jackson township and later bought a tract of similar size adjoining, so that his farm now embraces one hundred and sixty acres of rich and productive land. He annually gathers large crops which bring a gratifying financial return and also derives a substantial income from his live stock interests, making a specialty of the breeding and raising of red polled cattle. He is likewise a stockholder in the Central City State Bank and well deserves classification with the substantial and representative citizens of his native county.
On the 3d of February, 1897, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage to Miss Pearl Ford, of Jackson township, her father being Edward Ford, now a resident of Forest City, Iowa. They have become the parents of four children, three of whom are yet living, namely: Mary M., Hiel H. and Donald E.
In politics Mr. Henderson has always been a stanch republican but has never sought nor desired the honors and emoluments of office. Fraternally he is identified with Wapsie Lodge, No. 235, I. O. O. F., and both he and his wife belong to the Rebekahs. They are likewise devoted and consistent members of the Congregational church, in the work of which they are deeply and helpfully interested. A man of high worth and sterling integrity, Mr. Henderson is widely respected and esteemed in the community where his entire life has been spent.
Nicholas Keating was born in County Meath, Ireland, in 1750, his father and older brothers being millers. Young Nicholas learned the trade of millwright and cabinetmaker and while yet a young man secured passage on a sailing vessel to America, where two older brothers had preceded him and were then engaged in the milling business at Baltimore, Maryland. While on deck before sailing from Dublin he happened to expose to view his pocket rule. This oversight seems to have determined his future, for he was at once accosted by a government official, who took him off the vessel. He was then pressed into the army as a mechanic, England at that time being at war with Spain, and it is said that it was he, during this war, who planned and executed the construction of pontoon
Caption: Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Hendersonbridges such as are in use now. His regiment having returned to Athlone, Ireland, and he having served twenty-one years in the army, he purchased a home and shop in Athlone, where he followed his trade of cabinetmaker. In 1795 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Curley and their union was blessed with one son and five daughters, the second youngest, Ann, being born in 1819.
William Murray was born near Moate, in County West Meath, Ireland, in 1777, where he followed farming and acted as steward for the noted landowner, John Longworth, of Glin. In 1802 he married Miss Alice Balfe, and unto them were born seven sons and four daughters, the third oldest son being Thomas, whose birth occurred April 7, 1808. He remained on the farm with his father until he attained his twenty-first year, when he went to Athlone with his oldest brother, Bernard, engaging employment with the Robbison Distilling Company and securing rooms in the home of Nicholas Keating, where they remained for seven years. During this time Thomasbecame an expert distiller and maltster. He also won the heart and hand of Miss Ann Keating, they being married on January 10, 1836. With his wife (and brother William), Thomas Murray sailed for America on the 2d of May following, landing in Montreal, Canada, about eight weeks later. Here he secured work at his trade with the Malsom Brewing Company and later with Edward Prentiss Company, receiving what was then considered a very high salary. The two brothers joined the government forces in putting down the short-lived French rebellion. Of the ten children, five sons and five daughters, William, Michael, who died in infancy, and John E. were born in Montreal, the last named on the 19th of May, 1841. Two years later Mr. Murray removed with his family to New York state, engaging in farming near Newburgh, where he remained for two years. Elizabeth, the oldest daughter, was born on this farm. In 1845 they returned to Ireland with the intention of remaining, but a great change had taken place, many of the young people of their acquaintance having emigrated to this country and many old relatives and friends having departed this life. Mr. Keating died shortly after their arrival at the ripe old age of ninety-five years. After a stay of about nine months in their native land they again sailed for the new world and after a stormy voyage of eight weeks and three days once more landed in Montreal. Mr. Murray purchased a farm near that city and devoted his time to agricultural pursuits during the summer months, while in the winter seasons he worked at his trade in the city. Later he turned his attention to railway construction, being connected with the building of the Grand Trunk lines and also having charge of the quarries at Point Clair while excavating the stone for the famous Victoria bridge over the St. Lawrence river. While residing on this farm, Mary A., Thomas F., Margaret and Charles P., were born, the last named on the 16th of January, 1854. In 1855 Mr. Murray sold his farm and with his family migrated westward to Iowa, traveling by way of the St. Lawrence river and lakes to Chicago (except from Toronto to Collingwood), thence by rail to Rock Island, Illinois, and on by team to Benton county, Iowa, where they arrived on the 11th of October. There, for the first time since leaving Ireland, Mr. Murray met his father, mother, brother John B. and sister Catherine, who had come from Rochester, New York, the previous March. In Benton county Mr. Murray followed farming until the spring of 1871, when he removed to Linn county. During the stay in Benton county the two youngest daughters, Jennie and Anna F., were born. His father and son William died in 1859, while the mother passed away in 1866. The remains of all three repose in the Catholic cemetery at Iowa City. In Linn county they resided on a farm five miles northwest of Cedar Rapids until the spring of 1875, when they moved into this city, where Thomas Murray died March 12, 1886, his wife surviving until November 17, 1892. Both lie buried in Mt. Calvary cemetery. They were devoted members of the Catholic church and were highly respected as people of unswerving integrity and lived upright, honorable lives.
William Murray, who accompanied his brother Thomas and his wife on their first voyage to America, was born August 24, 1811. In 1844, at Rochester, New York, he married Miss Nancy McAdams, and though he came to Benton county, Iowa, and purchased a large farm from the government in 1854, he continued to reside in Rochester and Boston, Massachusetts, until the spring of 1860. At that time he came to Iowa, improved his farm and resided thereon until 1892, when he retired, removing to Cedar Rapids, where he died April 21, 1907, at the advanced age of nearly ninety-six years. Michael, another brother, born in 1818, came to New York about 1846 and to Cedar Rapids in 1875. He was city street commissioner here for several years and also acted as foreman and subcontractor under MurrayBrothers. His demise here occurred in 1898. John B., born in 1824, remained on his farm in Benton county until 1887, when he removed to Plymouth county, where he died September 6, 1901,--the day on which our beloved president, William McKinley, was shot. Catherine, the youngest sister, married John A. Saunders, of Iowa City, in 1856. She died there on the 24th of April, 1906, at the age of seventy-eight years.
Thomas F. Murray, son of Thomas and Ann (Keating) Murray, died in this city on the 23d of January, 1898, leaving only seven of the ten children surviving. Elizabeth, the widow of Francis Wear, Mary A., the widow of M. A. Broderick, and Jennie reside in Omaha, Nebraska. The other children, all of whom make their home in Cedar Rapids, are as follows: Margaret, the wife of T. F. Dolan; Anna F., the wife of Eugene Quinn; and John E. and Charles P. of this review.
John E. Murray, with his brother, Thomas F., as foreman, took his first railway contract in 1870, on the old Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Minnesota Railway between Waterloo and Cedar Falls. They continued in this business and in May, 1872, while building a part of the Postville branch of the same road, were joined by their younger brother, Charles P. All three worked together, executing many important contracts until 1886, except during the years 1881, 1882 and 1884, when John was associated with Hon. S. L. Dows under the firm name of Dows & Murray. They executed several large contracts for the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railway Company, while Thomas F. and Charles P. took large sub-contracts from them. In February, 1886, John E. and Charles P. formed the present copartnership of Murray Brothers. Their brother, Thomas F., having a large grading outfit, continued to sub-contract from them until his death, which occurred in 1898, as stated above. Their first work in 1886 was the construction of a line for the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railway Company from Scribner to Newman Grove, Nebraska,--sixty-eight miles. Later in the same season they extended this road from Albion to Oakdale, a distance of thirty-four miles, the next year building from Rapid City to Whitewood, South Dakota, (thirty-eight miles) for the same company, which is all a part of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway system. During this summer they also built the line from Cedar Rapids to Manchester for Hon. S. L. Dows, who was the projector of that road for the Illinois Central Railway Company (forty-two miles), Colonel William G. Dows being associated with them in the work. In the intervening years they have taken and completed many large and important contracts for nearly all the leading railway companies in the middle-western states. They have also done considerable work in some of the southern states and have become widely recognized as leading railway contractors of this section of the country. During slack times in railway building they have turned their attention to grading city property, streets, etc., putting in sewerage and water systems. Among the interurban lines which they have built may be mentioned the Cedar Rapids, Iowa City & Southern, and the Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern. Their offices are in the Security Savings Bank building.
John E. Murray is a director of the Security Savings Bank of Cedar Rapids, a position he has held since its organization. He has also been identified with various corporate companies and is justly accounted one of the representative business men of Cedar Rapids, vigilant and enterprising, determined and resourceful. He has done considerable building in Cedar Rapids and his labors have contributed to the growth and development of the city along many lines.
On the 16th of June, 1876, Mr. Murray was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary A. Culkin, of Independence, Iowa, her parents being Michael and Mary (McGee) Culkin, former residents of Rockford, Illinois. They are the parents of eight children, namely: Mary Agnes, now the wife of C. C. Perrin of New York city, who is in charge of Thiel's Detective Agency in the eastern division; William T., who was associated with his father and uncle for a time and who now resides in Kansas City, Missouri, having wedded Miss Rose Corrigan of that place; Helen C., the wife of L. H. Burns of Chicago, an employe in the general offices of the Rock Island Railway; Maude, the wife of Edward J. Corrigan, of Kansas City, Missouri; John A., also living in Kansas City; Leo B., who is with the Metropolitan Street Railway in Kansas City; Edward J., a college student; and Joseph Donald, who is attending St. Joseph's Academy of this city. The wife and mother passed away October 9, 1904.
Mr. Murray usually exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the democracy but is not strictly partisan, though he always takes a deep and commendable interest in public affairs. Fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Columbus, while in religious faith he is a Catholic. His life has been characterized by the highest principles of upright and honorable manhood and he has never taken advantage of the necessities of another in any business transaction. He has made his own way in life, without the assistance of wealth or influential friends, and what he has accomplished is due to his force of character, laudable ambition and strong purpose that cannot be diverted from the honorable business path that he has marked out. He and his family have an extensive circle of friends whom they are always glad to welcome at their home, No. 727 Fifth avenue.
Charles P. Murray, in addition to his other interests, is a stockholder in the St. Martins Land Company, the Parmer-Bailey Land Company, the Juanita Coal & Coke Company and several other outside corporations. He is likewise a stockholder in the Commercial National and First Trust and Savings Bank of this city; secretary and treasurer of the Ideal Dye Works Company; vice president of the Hotel Realty Company, owners of the Grand Hotel of Cedar Rapids; and president of the Carmody Foundry & Machine Company, one of the largest institutions of this kind in this part of the country.
It was on the 7th of October, 1890, that Mr. Murray was united in marriage to Miss Helen L. Schulze, a daughter of Joseph and Mary Schulze, of Iowa City, Iowa. Mr. Schulze was born in Germany in 1826 and emigrated to America in 1852, locating in Cumberland, Maryland. In 1855 he took up his abode at Iowa City, opening a boot and shoe store. In 1862 he wedded Miss Mary Williams, a young lady of German parentage, whose birth occurred in Iowa City in 1842. They were the parents of five sons and five daughters, one daughter dying in infancy and the mother departing this life on July 4, 1882. Mr. Schulze retired from active business some years ago and now at the age of eighty-four years passes his time in looking after his real-estate interests. He is a very active member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, which society he joined on the 17th of March, 1909. Helen L. was the second oldest child, being born May 28, 1865. She took advantage of the exceptionally good educational institutions of that city and continued to reside in Iowa City until her marriage to Mr. Murray in 1890, as stated above. Unto this union there were born five children: Inez G., now attending Mount St. Joseph's College in Dubuque and also quite an accomplished vocalist and pianist; Harold J., who attends the public schools and is also an advanced pupil of Professor Montelius, taking violin lessons; Edith M. and Winifred L., both of whom attend St. Patrick's parochial school; and Charles Emmet. Some twelve years ago Mr. Murray built a fine home at No. 715 Second avenue East, where he intended to reside permanently; but as the children grew up he determined to procure larger grounds and purchased the beautiful St. John home at No. 1335 Third avenue West, containing nearly five acres. Here they are now in full enjoyment of all the conveniences of the city and pure air and freedom of country life.
In his political views Mr. Murray is an earnest democrat and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day but has never been an aspirant for office. He belongs to the Catholic church and holds membership with the Knights of Columbus and with Cedar Rapids Lodge, No. 251, B. P. O. E. His social nature finds expression in his membership with the Cedar Rapids Commercial Club and he also cooperates in its movements for the development of the city along business lines and general improvement. He is likewise a member of the West Side Improvement Club. Actuated at all times by an undaunted spirit of enterprise, realizing that the opportunities of the present moment, if neglected, are never to be secured again, and that close application and indefatigable industry are the basis of all advancement in the business world, he has so directed his efforts that prosperity has crowned his achievements and he has become widely known in the fields in which he operates.
Joseph M. Denning
Joseph M. Denning, the president of the Denning Wire & Fence Company and also prominently identified with several other industrial enterprises of Cedar Rapids, has been a foremost factor in the business circles of this city since locating here in December, 1899. His birth occurred in Crawford county, Wisconsin, on the 6th of January, 1867, his parents being John and Mary A. (Cass) Denning, who were natives of Illinois and Ontario, Canada, respectively. Their marriage was celebrated in Vernon county, Wisconsin, to which place their respective parents had removed. After he had taken unto himself a wife John Denning located in Rising Sun, Crawford county, Wisconsin, where he was known as a hotel proprietor for a number of years but later disposed of his hostelry and turned his attention to merchandising, likewise operating a farm in the vicinity of the town. He was actively and successfully identified with mercantile interests in Rising Sun until called to his final rest in 1883, at the comparatively early age of thirty-seven years. During the following five years his widow continued to conduct the store but on the expiration of that period she sold the business and came west to Iowa, locating at Swan Lake, Emmet county, where she was identified with merchandising and the creamery business for a number of years. On retiring from active business cares she took up her abode in Estherville, where her death occurred in September, 1905.
Joseph M. Denning was reared under the parental roof and supplemented his preliminary education by a course of study in the high school at Viroqua, Wisconsin. Following his father's demise he assisted his mother in the store for about three years, in the meantime also taking up the printer's trade. In 1887, when twenty years of age, he left home and went to the Puget Sound country, where he worked at the printer's trade for about a year and ahalf. He then returned to Wisconsin but soon afterward came west to Iowa, though for a time he was not permanently located. Subsequently he persuaded his mother to dispose of her mercantile interests in the Badger state and come to Iowa, and after she had located at Swan Lake, Emmet county, he was associated with her in merchandising and also in the creamery business for about three years. While on the Pacific coast he had invested his savings in Seattle town lots and, disposing
Caption: J. M. Denning of these at a great profit, he was enabled to purchase four hundred acres of land in Emmet county, Iowa. Leaving the store, he located upon this property and spent a year in breaking the land and improving the farm.
Mr. Denning next removed to Estherville, where for some six years he was engaged in the wire-fence business. In December, 1899, he came to Cedar Rapids, removing his Estherville plant to this city, and from that time to the present he has been prominently identified with manufacturing interests here. He is the president of the Denning Wire & Fence Company and owns and operates branch factories in Sioux City and Kansas City, Kansas. After starting in the fence manufacturing business he began experimenting on improvements to fence-weaving machinery and was successful in inventing and perfecting the fastest fence weaving machine in use in the United States today and he is in receipt of handsome royalties from his inventions from the largest steel corporations of the country who are utilizing his patents. Mr. Denning is likewise the president of the Prairie State Manufacturing Company and has been connected with several other industrial concerns of Cedar Rapids. He is also the proprietor of the Illinois Wire & Manufacturing Company of Joliet, Illinois, is interested in the Denning Canadian Land Company of Cedar Rapids and is the owner and promoter of the Oxford Land & Town Site Company in southwestern Colorado. His sound judgment and executive ability thus find scope in the management of various important enterprises and he is widely recognized as one of Cedar Rapids' most prominent business men and citizens.
On December 7, 1891, Mr. Denning was united in marriage to Miss Lucy A. Mattson, of Estherville, Iowa, by whom he has two children, J. Wayne and Lois Eleen. Where national questions and issues are involved Mr. Denning supports the republican party but at local elections votes for the candidate whom he believes best qualified for office without regard to party affiliation. Fraternally he is identified with Main Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He has gained many friends in Cedar Rapids during the period of his residence here and has won for himself favorable regard in business circles in recognition of his enterprise, his alert and energetic spirit and his successful accomplishment. His success is due to close application to business and to an adherence to a strict code of business morals. For over five years he has been a member of the board of directors of the Commercial Club and has been especially active through this organization in promoting the city's welfare. He was one of the prime movers in organizing the freight bureau, an auxiliary organization of this club, and was chairman of the first committee having the bureau in charge. He is also a member of the Country Club and finds his chief source of recreation in motoring and fishing, making many tours with his family throughout the country.
George C. Fernow
An excellent farm of ninety-one acres is the property of George C. Fernow and lies on sections 33 and 34, Marion township. His time and energies are given to its further development and improvement and he has thus come to rank with the wide-awake and progressive agriculturists of his community. He was born in Linn county, Iowa, October 6, 1851, his parents being James and Nancy E. (Clark) Fernow, both of whom were natives of Ross county, Ohio, whence they came to Linn county in 1850. That this district was but sparsely settled at that time was indicated in the fact that Mr. Fernow was able to enter a tract of land from the government and thus came into possession of a claim in Marion township which he at once cultivated, making his home thereon until his death which occurred on the 11th of July, 1871. His widow long survived him and died on the 30th of September, 1905, at the very advanced age of eighty-three years. They had but two children: George C., of this review, and Owen S., who is also a resident farmer of Marion township.
At the usual age George C. Fernow entered the public schools wherein he gained a good knowledge of those branches of learning which qualify one for life's practical and responsible duties. Through the periods of vacation and after leaving school he worked upon the home farm, attending to its cultivation until his mother's death. He is now the owner of ninety-one acres in Marion township and the land is rich and productive, responding readily to the care and labor which he bestows upon it. He annually harvests good crops and he has a well developed farm property. That he is in touch with the trend of modern progress in agricultural lines is indicated in the fact that he belongs to the Farmer's Club.
In 1883 Mr. Fernow was united in marriage to Miss Margaret F. Shimm, who was born in this county in 1857 and is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Shimm, both of whom are now deceased. Their family numbered five children including Mrs. Fernow who died in 1888 and was laid to rest in Oak Shade cemetery at Marion. She left a husband and one son to mourn her loss. This son, James R. Fernow, is still living on the farm with his father.
In his political views Mr. Fernow is a republican but has never sought or desired office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs in which he is meeting with substantial success. His life has been quietly passed, yet he has always been loyal to the duties of citizenship and to his obligations to his fellowmen and thus is numbered among the respected residents of his part of the county.
Joseph Mekota, one of Cedar Rapids' most prominent lawyers, was born in Bohemia on the 17th of April, 1866, his parents being Frank and Dorothea (Petr) Mekota, also natives of that country. The father who was a farmer by occupation, brought his family to the United States in 1869 and settled near Solon, Iowa, and his death occurred in 1908. He had survived his wife for some years, as she passed away in 1892.
Reared upon the home farm, Joseph Mekota obtained his early education in the country schools and later attended the Iowa City Academy for one year, after which he entered the State University, from which he was graduated in the law department in 1893. Being admitted to practice, he immediately opened an office in Cedar Rapids and in the years that have since come and gone has secured an excellent clientage. He has won for himself very favorable criticism for the careful and systematic methods which he has followed. He has remarkable powers of concentration and application and his retentive mind has often excited the surprise of his professional colleagues. As an orator he stands high, especially in the discussion of legal matters before the court, where his comprehensive knowledge of the law is manifest and his application of legal principles demonstrates the wide range of his professional acquirements. In 1902 he was elected county attorney on the democratic ticket and has also been called upon to serve as a member of the school board for six years and a member of the public library board for a time. At all times he is a stalwart champion of the cause of public education, promoting its interests through the employment of competent teachers and the adoption of improved methods of instruction.
On the 23d of June, 1909, Mr. Mekota was united in marriage to Miss Batrica Machula, of Cedar Rapids. They are members of the Liberal Christian church, known as Mr. Newton's church,and in a well written article which appeared in the Cedar Rapids Evening Gazette Mr. Mekota ably set forth the religion of the Bohemians in America.
Fraternally he is an honored member of the C. S. P. S., Z. C. B. J. and C. S. P. B. J. and also belongs to Jan Hus Lodge, No. 51, I. O. O. F., which is the only Bohemian Odd Fellows lodge west of Chicago. In professional circles he has made for himself an honored name and his career has been such as to win the confidence and high regard of all with whom he has been brought in contact.
For ten years Knute Lassen has been the owner of the excellent farm of one hundred and eighty acres on section 2, Marion township, on which he now resides and during this period has carried forward the work of improvement and development to such an extent that his property has greatly increased in value. He was born in Denmark, May 11, 1860, and is a son of Peter and Mattie Lassen, both of whom were natives of that country, where they spent their entire lives, there rearing their family of eight children, of whom Knute was the youngest.
No event of special importance occurred to vary the routine of life for Knute Lassen during the period of his minority. He attended the public schools, performed such tasks as parental authority assigned him and enjoyed the pleasures and sports in which boys of the period indulged. At length he reached man's estate and was married in Denmark in 1881. The following year he started for America and settled in Cedar Rapids. He was entirely empty-handed and the necessity of providing for his own support caused him to seek employment as a common laborer. He worked in that way for several years, during which time he carefully saved his earnings until he felt justified in beginning farm work on his own account. He then rented land, which he cultivated for ten years, and in 1900 with the capital saved from his earnings he purchased the farm of one hundred and eighty acres on section 2, Marion township, which is now his home. It is a richly cultivated tract of land, arable and productive, and the fields generously return to him good harvests as the reward for the care and labor he bestows upon them.
Mr. Lassen wedded Miss Sarah Andersen and they have become the parents of seven children: Andrew, a farmer of Marion township; Peter, who is living in South Dakota; Mattie H., who is engaged in dressmaking and lives at home; one who died in infancy; Carrie A., a graduate of the Cedar Rapids Business College; Christina, now attending the high school in Marion; and Katherine, at home. The family are members of the Lutheran church. Mr. Lassen gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and has served as school director but has never held political office. He is a self-made man and as the architect of his own fortunes has builded wisely and well. He has worked diligently and persistently year after year until his earnest and unfaltering effort has made him one of the substantial agriculturists of his adopted county.
George H. Easterly
George H. Easterly, a retired agriculturist residing in Kenwood Park, Iowa, was born near Warsaw, Indiana, on the 18th of May, 1844, his parents being Lawrence and Rebecca (Hammond) Easterly. The father, a native of Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, worked on a farm and also on a canal boat for a number of years but subsequently took up his abode on a farm near Warsaw, Indiana. George H. Easterly, who was the second in order of birth in a family of six children, obtained his early education in the common schools of his native state and afterward continued his studies in Linn county, Iowa. His time was fully occupied during his school days, for when not busy with his text-books he assisted in the work of the home farm, thus early becoming familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. Throughout his active business career he was actively and successfully identified with general agricultural pursuits, operating a valuable and well improved farm north of Lisbon for a number of years or until he disposed of the property and took up his abode in Kenwood Park, where he is now living retired in the enjoyment of well earned rest.
On the 14th of March, 1870, Mr. Easterly was united in marriage to Miss Catharine Ann Spade, a daughter of Jacob and Catharine (Moyer) Spade. The father, who was a farmer and stone mason, came to this state from Pennsylvania in the year 1853, settling on a farm three miles south of Anamosa, where the remainder of his life was spent. His family numbered ten children, Mrs. Easterly being the seventh in order of birth. By her marriage she has become the mother of eight children, as follows: Ida, who is the wife of Samuel Doubenmier, by whom she has one child, Iva Fay; Estie, who completed her education at Lisbon, Iowa, and who is now deceased; Vada, who gave her hand in marriage to Ralph Darst; Roxie, the wife of Charles Hale, by whom she has three children -- Mary May, Dorothy True and Florence G.; Clemmence, who died at the age if eight years; Willard, who wedded Miss Louise Cole; and Adelbert and Hulda, both of whom have passed away.
Mr. Easterly belongs to the Good Templars and he was also a member of the famous organization known as the Anti-Horse Thief Company. Mrs. Easterly is a devoted and valued member of the Lutheran church at Lisbon and the different members of the family take a prominent and helpful part in its work. Much of Mr. Easterly's life has been spent in Linn county, where he has a wide acquaintance and is favorably known.
Owen S. Fernow
When Linn county was a pioneer district the Fernow family, of which Owen S. Fernow is a representative, was established in this state. His parents were James and Nancy E. (Clark) Fernow, both of whom were natives of Ross county, Ohio, and on removing to the west in 1850, settled in Linn county, Iowa, where the father entered land from the government, devoting his remaining days to the development of the farm in Marion township. Further mention of him is made on another page of this volume in connection with the sketch of George C. Fernow, the only brother of our subject.
No event of special importance occurred to vary the routine of farm life for Owen S. Fernow in his boyhood and youth. His time was divided between the duties of the schoolroom, the pleasures of the playground and the work of the fields, and when his school days were over he gave his undivided attention to farm work, remaining on the old homestead until thirty-two years of age when he married and established a home of his own. He had a high school education and was thus well qualified for life's practical and responsible duties. He wedded Miss Ina M. Wilson, who was born in this county on the 4th of April, 1871, and is a daughter of John and Angeline T. (Holland) Wilson, both of whom were natives of New Jersey. They arrived in Iowa in 1853 and the mother is still living here, making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Fernow, at the advanced age of seventy-seven years. The father, however, passed away in 1899. In their family were three children.
Following his marriage Owen S. Fernow removed to the farm which he now owns and occupies, situated on section 3, Marion township. It is a tract of ninety-five acres, carefully cultivated and improved, the well tilled fields giving evidence of the care and supervision of the owner who is at once practical and progressive. He also raises stock of high grades and thus adds materially to his annual income. He has ever been a diligent and progressive man and his earnest and intelligently directed labor constitutes the basis of his success.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Fernow have been born two children, Mary Alice and Wilson Clark, both at home. The parents are members of the Presbyterian church at Marion, in which Mr. Fernow is serving as elder, while both take an active and helpful interest in church work. In his political views Mr. Fernow is a democrat and while he has never sought political office, he has served as a school director. He and his wife are members of the Concord Literary Club and their influence is always on the side of intellectual and moral progress and their home is the abode of warm-hearted and cordial hospitality.
Charles P. Hubbard
Charles P. Hubbard, who came to Cedar Rapids in 1866 to accept a clerkship, has for forty-four years been a resident in this city and, making continuous progress in the field of business, is now president of the Hubbard Ice Company, one of the most important productive industries of this city. His record proves that success is ambition's answer and that prosperity is builded upon the foundation of unabating industry, unfaltering perseverance and energy that never flags. A native of West Cummington, Massachusetts, he was born on the 27th of September, 1846, his parents being Samuel P. and Venila (Mitchell) Hubbard, both of whom were natives of Massachusetts, the former born in 1810 and the latter in 1814. Both the Hubbards and Mitchells were old New England families and several of their representatives were active participants in the Revolutionary war and were also associated with other prominent events which shaped the early history of their respective localities and of the country. Samuel P. Hubbard removed with his family to Oswego, New York, when his son Charles was only a year old. There he was associated with others in the operation of a tannery for many years and both he and his wife died at that place, the former when eighty-four years of age and the latter at the ripe old age of eighty-seven years.
Charles P. Hubbard spent his youthful days in Oswego and the public schools of that city afforded him his educational privileges. In March, 1866, he left the parental roof and came to the middle west, arriving in Cedar Rapids on the 17th of March. He came to this point to accept a position as clerk in the leather store of W. S. Bradley & Company, the business having been established by the firm of Hubbard & North, tanners of Oswego, New York. A year later Charles P. Hubbard was sent upon the road as a traveling salesman and thus represented the house for five years, building up a good business and winning the kindly regard of his many patrons. In the winter of 1870-1 he engaged in the ice business in Cedar Rapids, which at that time was a town of about five thousand inhabitants. For the conduct of the enterprise the firm of Hooper & Hubbard was established, the partners remaining together in the successful management of the business until 1882, when Mr. Hubbard purchased Mr. Hooper's interest and for twenty years conducted the business independently. In 1902, however, it was incorporated under the name of the Hubbard Ice Company, with Charles P. Hubbard as the president. The infant industry established in 1870 has grown to be one of the leading business concerns of Cedar Rapids, the company now putting up about thirty thousand tons of ice annually. At the beginning their capacity was fifteen hundred tons. The business has been developed along substantial lines, its trade
Caption: John P. Carbeethe excellent homes of Brown township. He equipped it with all modern conveniences and accessories, carrying on his farm work along the most progressive lines. In connection with the cultivation of the fields he raised stock, making a specialty of shorthorns. The land which he entered from the government remained in his possession up to the time of his death and was the visible proof of his life of well directed thrift and activity.
While he led a busy life in connection with his agricultural interests, Mr. Carbee also found time and opportunity to serve his fellow townsmen in positions of public trust. He held all of the offices in the township with the exception of that of constable and in 1863 he was elected to represent his district in the general assembly, where his two years' service won him such commendation and approval that in the fall of 1865 he was reelected and occupied a seat on the republican side of the house for four years, giving his support to many measures which found their way to thestatute books of the state and have proven significant factors in maintaining and promoting the best interests of the commonwealth.
On the 12th of June, 1853, Mr. Carbee was married to Miss Sarah Hampton, who was born in Morgan county, Ohio, May 18, 1832, and is a daughter of Zachariah and Sarah (Griffith) Hampton, who were natives of Bucks and Fayette counties, Pennsylvania, respectively. At an early day they removed to Ohio and in 1851 arrived in Linn county, Iowa, settling on a farm in Brown township. Mr. Hampton was identified with the farming interests of the community until his life's labors terminated in death in 1861. His wife, who was born in 1803, survived him for many years, passing away in 1886.
Contributed by, Lynn Marti
Pgs. 878-879 BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF LINN COUNTY (1901)
For over half a century Bertram township had no other more influential or prosperous citizen than the gentleman whose name introduces this review. He was born in Ohio, July 4, 1828, and is a son of Samuel and Mary (Emmons) Berry, the former born in New York, May, 1, 1784, of Irish descent, the latter in New Jersey, November 15, 1782, of English extraction. After their marriage they removed to Ohio, where the father followed farming until his death.
In 1851 the mother came to Iowa, and died at the home of our subject, August 5, 1860. They were the parents of eleven children, whose names and dates of birth were as follows: Davis, August 26, 18O7; William, March 10, 1810; Johanna, July 12, 1812; John, June 14, 18l4; James, June 1817; Sarah, August 15, 1819; Mary and Amy, twins, November 9, 1822; Samuel, September 24, 1823; Robert, July 4, 1828 and Nellie.
Mr. Berry's early educational advantages were meager, but the knowledge he acquired -in the district schools has been supplemented by a practical information acquired in later years. He grew to man-hood upon his father's farm and obtained an excellent knowledge of all the duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist. On leaving the old homestead he commenced farming upon rented land in Ohio, and later engaged in railroad contracting.
Coming to Linn County, Iowa, in I851, Mr. Berry purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 27, Bertram township, where he continued to make his home till the spring of 1901, when he rented his place and removed to Cedar Rapids. In his farming operations he has steadily prospered, and has added to his landed posses-sions until he now owns nearly one thou-sand acres of valuable land. He has placed his land under excellent cultivation and erected thereon good and substantial buildings, until he now has one of the best improved and most desirable farms in the county. He has always given considerable attention to the raising of stock for the market and has also met with success in this undertaking.
On the 25th of April, 1854, in this county, Mr. Berry was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Thorington, who was born near Crawfordsville, Montgomery county, Indiana, July 4, 1834, and is a daughter of Alexander and Martha (Webb) Thorington, natives of Maryland. Her parents removed from that state to Ohio, and from there to Montgomery county, Indiana, and in 1853 came to Linn county, Iowa, spending the remainder of their lives in Bertram township.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Berry were born the following children: Walter H., born April 29, 1856, and Charles E., born February 27, 1859, are both represented elsewhere in this work; Jennie E., born April 11, 1861, of the wife of William H. Harrison, whose sketch also appears on another page of this volume; Addison A., born June 22, 1863, married Ella Hunter and makes his home in Mt. Vernon (a sketch of him will be found on another page of this work); Robert O., born May 14, 1863, married Rachel Cory and lives on a farm in Marion township; William Jasper, born January 28, 1868, married Bertie H. Hutchinson and lives on a farm in Bertram township; John Frederick, born June 26, 1872, married Ida McCloud, and resides in Cedar Rapids; and one died in infancy.
In politics Mr. Berry is independent, supporting the men whom he believes best qualified for office, regardless of party affilia-tions. He has served as township trustee and school treasurer, and has always been found true to every trust reposed in him whether public or private. He and his wife are active and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and are held in the highest regard by all who know them.