Pleasant Marion Scroggin
"Portrait and Biographical Record of the Willamette Valley", pages 809-810
Connected with the banking business of Lebanon, Linn county, Ore., Mr. Scroggin is lending himself heartily to the forward march of the enterprises of this city in a way which has thoroughly won the commendation of his fellow townsmen. In 1899 he established the banking firm of P.M. Scroggin & Co., with a capital of $25,000 and a surplus of $5,000. His able management has since advanced it among the business enterprises of Linn county until it ranks first with institutions of like character. His energetic yet conservative methods have proven his executive ability and clear judgement, and there is every prospect of a steady advancement and a gratifying success in the many years of life which, in all probability, Mr. Scroggin has before him.
Pleasant Marion Scroggin was born near Sheridan, Yamhill county, Ore., May 9, 1872, the son of P.M. Scroggin. The latter was born in Logan county, Ill., in 1830, and on attaining manhood he followed the life of an agriculturist, to which he had early been trained. From Mount Pulaski, Ill., he removed to Iowa, and from that state emigrated about 1863 to Oregon, settling first near McMinnville and later near Sheridan, where he became the owner of a thousand acres adjoining the city on the south. He died there April 18, 1894, at the age of sixty-four years. As a Democrat he had been popular in his own party, and had served for two terms as county commissioner. He was married in Iowa to Sarah Howard, a native of that state, who crossed the plains with her husband, and died in the same year in which the latter’s death occurred. Of the eight children who are now living P.M. Scroggin is the eighth in order of birth, and received his preliminary education in the common schools of Oregon, after which he attended the Portland Business College for one year, graduating in 1894 in the banking and business course. In the same year he engaged in the hardware business in Sheridan, the next year finding him in Lebanon in his present business enterprise.
The marriage of Mr. Scroggin occurred in Ashland, Ore., and united him with Lydia W. Washburn, a native of Iowa. Two children now add to the happiness of the home, namely: Seymour Ralph and La Verne. Mr. Scroggin is a member of the Christian Church, and politically he adheres to the principles advocated in the platform of the Republican party.
THOMAS C. STONEKING
HISTORY OF LINN COUNTY volume 2, page 688.
Contributed by, Lynn Marti
Thomas C. Stoneking, living in Bertram township, has won that prosperity which results from close application and intelligently directed effort. His pos-sessions embrace eleven hundred and thirty-five acres of Linn county's most val-uable land, most of which is improved. The long period of his residence in this county well entitles Mr. Stoneking to representation in this volume for he has made his home in Linn county for fifty-three years, arriving in the year 1857. Today a man of purpose whose life experiences have been varied and valuable, he was then a young lad of nine years, manifesting the interest of boyhood in all the scenes through which the family passed as they journeyed to the middle west. He was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, March 8, 1848, a son of Jacob and Jane (Price) Stoneking, both of whom were also natives of the Keystone state, whence they came to Linn county, Iowa, in 1857 and located on a farm in Bertram township. The father first operated rented land but he was later en-abled to purchase property, on which he and his wife made their home until their demise, the mother, who was born in1817, passing away in 1891, while the father, who was born in 1807, survived for only a few years and was called to the home beyond in 1895.
Thomas C. Stoneking acquired his education in the common schools and re-mained under the parental roof until he had reached the age of twenty-five years. He is the youngest of four sons, his brothers being: William, a resident of Oklahoma; James and John, of Linn county. All were trained in the work of the farm, so that when they started out to make their own way in the world they were prepared to meet the responsibilities which came to them.
Thomas C. Stoneking assisted his father until the age of twenty-five years, and at that period in his life he established a home of his own by his marriage to Miss Margaret Scott, who was born in Linn county in 1856, a daughter of James and Mahulda (Newton) Scott, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Virginia. They came to Linn county in 1838 and established their home upon a farm. In 1853 Mr. Scott erected on his place a brick house, which is still standing, one of the old landmarks of this section of the state. Their family numbered six children, of whom all are still living. The father died in 1894 and the mother departed this life in 1900, both having reached an ad-vanced age.
Following their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Stoneking began their domestic life upon a farm, Mr. Stoneking renting a portion of the old homestead property. He worked diligently and persistently and this, combined with the able assistance of his estimable wife, has brought him his present success, for as the years have gone by he has purchased land from time to time until he is now the owner of eleven hundred and thirty-five acres, all located in Linn county. It is mostly improved land, while the home place in Bertram township is one of the model farms of this section of the state, being improved with modern buildings. He raises good crops and also feeds and fattens stock. He possesses keen fore-sight, which has enabled him to make judicious investments, so that today he stands among the wealthiest landowners of Linn county.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Stoneking have been born seven children, six sons and one daughter, namely: Fred S., who is married and makes his home in Linn county; Frank J., who died in December, 1907; James H. and Elmer T., also of Linn county; Jennie H., the wife of Emmet Albaugh, of this county; and Harry 0. and Roy, at home. They have also reared a granddaughter, Marie Stoneking, who is still a member of their household.
In politics Mr. Stoneking is a democrat. He has filled the office of township trustee for the past two years and has likewise served as school director. He is, however, not given to public life, as his private interests claim the major part of his attention. Fraternally he is connected with Mount Vernon Lodge, No. 551, I. 0. 0. F. He has aided materially in the development and progress of this section of the state, gives his support to every measure that he deems will benefit the county along material, intellectual, political and social lines, and at the same time has so capably managed his business affairs that he is now numbered among the men of Bertram township who are enjoying a very com-fortable competence.
MRS. JULIA A. BROWN
"Biographical Records of Linn Co., Iowa."
Contributed by, Ruth Keating
Julia A. Brown, widow of Horace Nathan Brown, has been a resident of Linn county since I854, and during all these years has made her home on the farm where she now lives. It is one of the most desirable Places in Brown township, being valuable and well improved tract on five hundred and eighty-five acres on section 32, conveniently located within two miles of Springville
A native of Ohio, Mrs. Brown was born in what is now Ashland county, and is a daughter of Lemuel and Ruth (Hardinger) Chapman, both natives of Pennsylvania, who when you removed to Ohio and were there married. They made their home in Ashland county, where the father was engaged in farming throughout his active business life, His wife survived him a number of years, he dying in that county, while his widow died in DeKalb county, Indiana. they were the parents of thirteen children namely: William, who died in Ohio: Nathaniel and Daniel, who both died in Linn county, Iowa; Mrs. Sarah Bemmenderfer: Mrs. Mary Duncan, deceased; Lewis, a resident of Indiana; Mrs. Nancy Shadrick, of Nebraska; Mrs. Jane Duncan deceased; Ellen, who resides with Mrs. Brown; and Richard, a resident of Ohio.
Mrs. Brown spent her early life in her native county and when a young lady came to Linn county, Iowa, in 1853, to visit her brother, Nathaniel Chapman, one of the first settlers of this county. She returned to Ohio in the fall of the same year, and was there married December 22, 1853 to Horace N Brown, who was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, April 6, 1822 and was quite young when he came to Iowa. His father, Nathan Brown, was a native of Westchester county, New York and was married in Onondaga county, that state. On coming west in 1838, he first located in Geneva, Kane County, Illinois, and two years later came to Linn county, Iowa, taking up his residence in Brown township, which was named in his honor.
Mrs. Brown;s husband assisted in bui lding the first school house in Linn township, where he pursued his studies for a time, his sister being the first teacher employed there. Mr. and Mrs. Brown became acquainted while she was visiting her brother in this county.
They began their domestic life upon a tract of land in Brown township, which he had previously entered, and on which he erected a hewed-log house, making it their home for a few years, while he opened up and improved his farm. Subsequently it was replaced by a neat and commodious residence; two large barns and other outbuildings were also erected; and fruit and shade trees were planted. As time passed and he prospered in his farming operations Mr. Brown added to the original tract until he owned nearly seven hundred acres of rich and arable land all in one body. He always gave considerable attention to the raising and feeding of cattle and hogs for market, and some seasons fed as high as one hundred head of cattle and five hundred hogs upon his farm. He was one of the most energetic and successful agriculturists and stock dealers in the eastern part of the county. He continued in active business up to the time of his death, which occurred in the spring of 1893, and he was laid to rest in the Springville cemetery by the side of his parents.
In his political affiliations Mr. Brown was a Democrat, but he never cared for official honors. In early life, however, he served as justice of the peace and was president of the school board for a number of years. He also filled the office of county treasurer one term prior to his marriage, having been elected to that position soon after attaining his majority. He was a believer in Prohibition and often made temperance speeches, while religiously he was a consistent and faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He was a Knight Temlar Mason and a prominent member of the order. As a citizen he was public-spirited and progressive, ever ready to aid in any enterprise calculated to advance the interests of his township or county, and was recognized as one of the leading citizens of the community.
On the death of her husband Mrs. Brown took charge of the farm and business, and in the successful management of her affairs has displayed wonderful business and executive ability. As a foreman she employs John McAtee, who has superintended the operation of the farm for the past eight years, and also worked on the place for several years prior to her husband's death. Although she has no children of her own she has reared four, two of whom were her brother's children. All are now grown and married with the exception of one.
She has also given homes to several others, and her place is often called the Orphans' Home. She, too, is an active and devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and gave liberally toward the erection of the church and parsonage at Springville. Quiet and unassuming, she delights in aiding those in need and has given generously to suffering humanity and worthy causes. She stands high in the community where she has so long made her home, and those who know her best are numbered among her warmest friends.
Benjamin H. O'Meara was born in Central City on November 30, 1919, at 718 Main Street, the son of Frank and Mary (Kearns) O'Meara. He married Marjorie M. White, step-daughter of J. A. (Fred) Moser, on December 7, 1941. Marjorie was born January 10, 1921, at Marshalltown, Iowa.
Ben served in the Army from April 28, 1942, until May of 1946, and was discharged with the rank of Captain from the Signal Corps. He served 30 months in the European Theatre.
After his discharge, he went into partnership with his father in the O'Meara General Merchandise store. After the death of his father, Ben continued to operate the store until June of 1966, when he sold the store to Paula and Betty Snider.
In 1966 Ben became a licensed life insurance salesman and served in this occupation until he retired in 1982.
He was on the Central City Telephone Board for many years and helped in the conversion to dial. He served approximately fifteen years on the original Planning and Zoning Commission of the town of Central City. He also served three years on the Central City School Board.
Ben and Marjorie had three children: Patrick D., Kathleen Jo, and Kelly B.
Dr. Patrick D. was born in 1947. He married in 1969 Marjorie Kaye, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Philip Kaye of Lincoln, Nebraska. He graduated from Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa, in 1969. He received his Ph D. in Mathematics from the University of Iowa in 1976. Pat and Marjorie have three daughters: Shannon, Megan, and Kathryn (Katy).
Kathleen Jo was born in 1949. She was married in 1970 to John Stephen Hodges, son of Dr. and Mrs. John Hodges of Laurens, Iowa. She attended Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa, and graduated from Buena Vista College, Storm Lake, Iowa, in 1985 with a B.A. degree in Elementary Education. Kathleen and J. Stephen have three children: John Andrew, Matthew, and Elizabeth Ann.
Kelly B. was born in 1953. He was married in 1976 to Deborah S. Novak, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jimmy Novak of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Kelly graduated from Kirkwood College in 1973. Kelly and Deborah have one daughter, Erin Caitlin.
WILLIAM H. HARRISON
Submitted by, Ruth Harrison Jones
From the Biographical Record of Linn County, Iowa S.J. Clarke Publishing Company of Chicago, 1901 page 470-471
The subject of this sketch, who is successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits on secition 27 and 28, Bertram township, was born in this county on the 18th day of September, 1859 and is a son of Jacob and Ardelia Look Harrison, natives of New Jersey and New York, respectively.
He (Jacob Harrison) was born in West Milford, Passaic county New Jersey, (January 16, 1834). They were married in the latter state, at Painted Post and in 1856 started for Kansas, but on reaching Mt. Vernon, Iowa, they decided to stop on account of the mother (Ardelia Look) being in ill health. For some Mr. Harrison was engaged in cutting timber and also worked for a time in the Beldon sawmill and then rented a farm, being engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1863, when he went to Idaho during the Gold excitment in that state. When he left for the mountains he sent his family to New York and about the close of the Civil War he rejoined them in that state bringing them back to Linn County, Iowa. He purchased what is now known as a part of the Caldwell farm in Bertram township on which he lived for ten years. In 1885, he bought the James Berry farm of two hundred acres, which he disposed of, he afterward moved to another farm, where he lived for nine years. His first wife, Ardelia Look died October 2, 1890 and was buried in Mt. Vernon. He subsequently spent one year with a married daughter on the old home farm and then went to California. He has since been back and forth many times, but has resided permanently in that state since his second marriage with Mrs. Millie Kupple in the fall of 1899, having sold his possessions in Iowa. The children by his first union were Almeda, wife of Walter Berry, of Bertram township; W. H. Harrison our subject; Mary wife of Frank Brown, who lives on the old homestead farm; Jacob J., who married Hannah Berry and lives in Bertram township; Lucinda J. wife of Frank Thompson of Marion township; and one who died in infancy.
William H. Harrison only attended the subscription schools until ten years of age, and then commenced hauling railroad ties and logs on his father's farm, there being considerable timber upon the place. He remained under the parental roof until his marriage, which was celebrated at the home of the bride in Bertram township, March 30, 1880, the lady of his choice being Miss Jennie BErry, who was born in this county, April 11, 1861.
Her father, Robert Berry, was born in Ohio, July 4, 1828, a son of Samuel and Mary (Emmons) Berry, the former of Irish, the latter of English descent. On starting out in life for himself, Robert Berry first followed farming and later engaged in railroad contracting for a time. Coming to Iowa in 1851, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in Bertram township, Linn County, which has now been his home for half a century. In his farming operations he has met with remarkable success, and in stock raising has also prospered, having been extensively engaged in that industry. He added to his original purchase from time to time until he owned nearly one thousand acres of valuable farming land. His is one of the model farms of the county, being supplied with modern improvements and accessories known to the progressive farmer of the present century. In the spring of 1901 he rented his farm and removed to Cedar Rapids where his time is taken up attending to his numerous business interests.
Mr. Berry was married in this county, April 25, 1854 to Miss Nancy Thorington, who was born near Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana, July 4, 1834. She was the daughter of Alexander and Martha (Webb) Thorington, natives of Maryland. Eight children were born to this union, namely: Walter H., married (Almeda) Rachel Harrison and resides on a farm in Bertram township; Charles E. married first Luella Byers and second Lina Morrison and is also a also a farmer of Bertram township; Jennie E. is the wife of our subject; Addison A. married Ella Hunter and makes his home in Mt. Vernon; Robert Orville married Rachel Cory and lives on a farm in Marion township; William Jasper married Bertie H. Hutchinson and lives on a farm in Bertram township; John Frederick married Ida McCloud and resides in Cedar Rapids; and one died in infancy. The parents of these children are members of the Methodist Church and are most estimable people.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. William H. Harrison (our subject) were born the following children: Robert J. born February 9, 1881; Eva, born January 1, 1883; Edna M. who was born May 2, 1885 and died March 18, 1895; William H. who was born December 11, 1887 and died March 5, 1888; Nellie, born July 19, 1890; MYrtle, born September 30, 1894; and Ruth born April29, 1897. For a year and a half after his marriage Mr. Harrison rented a farm of his father, and then purchased forty-eight and a half acres of land in Bertram township on which he lived for about three years and a half. On selling that place he returned to the old homestead, where the following hear was passed and then rented a farm of his father-in-law. After residing thereon for one year he removed to Mt. Vernon, where he wad engaged in the livery business for about three years. He traded his property there for three hundred and twenty acres of land in Dakota and on disposing of that bought twenty-nine acres of timberland in this county, making his home thereon for two years. At the end of that time he returned to the farm on sections 27 and 28, Bertram township, where he now resides. This place had been given to Mrs. Harrison by her father, Robert Berry. Mr. Harrison has made many valuable improvements upon the place, including the erection of a splendid residence with modern conveniences and has also built good barns, cattle sheds, etc. He devotes considerable attention to buying, feeding and selling stock and from this branch of his business derives a good income.
Mr. Harrison attends the Methodist Church and is a member of the Star of Bethlehem Lodge, No.3, K.P. of Mt. Vernon;Trojan Lodge, No. 6, A.F.&A.M. of Marion and Bertram Lodge, No 534, I.O.O.F. of Bertram. He has filled many offices of township trustee and school director and is now serving as school treasurer of Bertram township. He is one of the most popular and influential citizens of this community.
Contributed by, Kay Ehlers
From the Mason City (Cerro Gordo, Iowa) Globe-Gazette, Saturday, April 8, 1939, p. 11, col. 3., Copyright permission 3/01 by provision of acknowledgment of the Globe Gazette in the posting.
IOWA IS HOME OF CBS CHIEF
Europe Chief for Columbia Reared at Cedar Rapids
He travels a thousand miles to make a 15 minute speech. He goes without sleep for two days at a stretch, starts his working day at 3 o'clock in the morning, lives keyed to the sound of a telephone jangle and exists for weeks on coffee and hot dogs.
He is William L. Shirer - the Columbia Broadcasting system's representative in central Europe. And since October, 1937, when he took the job, he has had one of the most exciting jobs in all the world of radio.
GRADUATED FROM COE
Few, if any, KGLO listeners know, however, that Mr. Shirer is a former Iowan. He is the son of Mrs. J. T. Shirer of Cedar Rapids and was graduated from Coe college there in 1925.
Some collegiate journalism training and doing correspondence work with the Cedar Rapids Gazette started the young man off on his communications career. A few years later he boarded a cattle boat for France and took a job with the Paris edition of the Chicago Tribune, all of which led into a career that now hails Shirer as "Young Man About Europe."
COVERS FOREIGN SCENE
From London - to Prague - to Berlin - to Moscow - to Rome wherever important news is breaking (and there has been plenty of it in those centers during the past year) it's up to Shirer to get there in order to cover important foreign events for Columbia listeners in America.
Shirer uses an airplane for most of his traveling. It is the only means that will get him from place to place fast enough during these days of swiftly moving events in Europe.
WOOD, JOHN W.
Extract from "Linn County Biographical Record," Pub. 1901 (977.762 D3b)
Among the highly respected citizens of Springville who are now living in retirement from active labor is John W. Wood, who was born in Belmont county, Ohio, February 6, 1828. The Wood family is of English descent and of good old Quaker stock. To the same family belong all the Woods in southern Pennsylvania and northern Maryland. Our subject's paternal great-grandfather, James Wood, was a native of the former state, as was also the grandfather, Matthew Wood, who was born in Delaware county, Pennsylvania, July 9, 1755. In 1811 the latter removed with his family to Belmont county, Ohio, and in the midst of the wilderness he and his sons cleared and improved a farm. John Wood, our subject's father, was born in Bucks, county, Pennsylvania, in 1800, and grew to manhood in Belmont county, Ohio, where he was married at the age of nineteen to Miss Esther Williams, a native of Georgia. Her father, Thomas Williams, was born in Pennsylvania in 1765, and was a son of Lewis Williams, who came to this country from Wales. For several years Thomas Williams resided in Georgia, and then removed to Belmont county, Ohio. There the father of our subject followed farming throughout his active business life. He died in 1833, at the comparatively early age of thirty-three years, and the mother passed away four years later. The subject of this sketch is the fifth in order of birth in their family of seven children and is the only survivor, the others having all died young, the last one passing away in 1852. The early life of John W. Wood was passed upon a farm in Belmont county, Ohio, and he obtained a good practical education in the common and higher schools of that state. He successfully engaged in teaching school for fourteen terms in his native county and in Jones county, Iowa. On the 16th of November, 1848, he married Miss Almeda Crew, also a native of Belmont county, Ohio, and, a daughter of James and Sarah (Bain) Crew. Her father was born in Virginia, and in early life removed with his father, Jacob Crew, to Belmont county, Ohio, where he spent the greater part of his life as a farmer. He came to Iowa in 1864 and bought land in Linn county, but died in Keokuk county, this state, the same year. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have four children living, namely: (1) Elam J., now a business man of Hardin county, Iowa, is married and has four children, Harry T., Mabel L., Allie May and Elam Paul. (2) Allen D., agent for the Union Pacific Railroad at Rollins, Wyoming, is married and has one child, Allen Claire. (3) Mary is the wife of Walter S. Manley, who is now in the Klondike, while she is with her parents in Springville, Iowa. She has one son, Walter Merle. (4) Sina is the wife of I. E. Jackson, of Springville, and they have one son, Julian L. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have also lost four children, Sarah, Thomas and George having all died in childhood. Luther J. grew to manhood, and removed to Phoenix, Arizona, where he married, and where he died May 2, 1896. In 1864 Mr. Wood came to Iowa, and for some years made his home in Jones county, where he owned and operated one hundred acres of land just across the line from Linn county. In 1888 he removed to Linn county, locating in Brown township, where he had ninety-eight acres. He made many improvements upon his farm, and was successfully engaged in general farming, stock raising and dairying until his retirement from active labor in March, 1901, when he removed to Springville, having purchased a pleasant residence there. He was always numbered among the most thrifty, enterprising and successful agriculturists of his community. Politically Mr. Wood has always been identified with the Republican party, but has never been an office-seeker. While in Jones county, however, he was elected and served several terms as assessor, and was also a member of the school board and secretary of the same for sixteen years, having always taken an active interest in educational work. By birthright he and his wife are both members of the Society of Friends, and are now connected with the church at Whittier. In 1898 their children, grandchildren and other relations gathered at their home to assist in celebrating their golden wedding, and left numerous tokens of their affection for this worthy couple who have so long traveled life's journey together, sharing its joys and sorrows, its adversity and prosperity. They are widely and favorably known, and have a host of warm friends in both Jones and Linn counties.
Transcribed by Greg Wood (great-great-grandson of subject) Moorpark, CA
Portrait and Biographical Album of Linn County, Iowa; Chapman Brothers; Chicago, 1887. I have made every effort to preserve spelling and punctuation exactly as they appear in the original. Ray Handley firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeremiah Handley. Among the sturdy tillers of the soil in this county who have been successful in life and who are enabled to enjoy the fruits of a laborious past, is the gentleman whose name heads this notice and who is pleasantly located on section 36, Linn Township. His father was Daniel and his mother Charity (Spivey) Handley, who were both born in North Carolina. The parents were of English Ancestry; were married in North Carolina, thence emigrated to Orange County Ind., where they continued to reside for a time. The father returned to North Carolina on a visit and while absent was taken sick and died. His good wife subsequently removed to Jefferson County, Ill., and some years afterward to Montgomery County, Ill. where her demise occured. Of their family of children four lived to attain the age of man and womanhood, and of this number the subject of this notice was the third in order of birth.
Mr. Handley of this notice was born in Orange County, Ind., in August, 1820. When thirteen years old he accompanied his mother to Illinois, thence came to this county in May, 1848, and settled in Linn Township. Instead of permanently settling in that township he 'squatted' on section 36, and the following spring purchased eighty acres of land, the same being that on which he is now residing. He has continued to reside on that place, constantly engaged the while in its improvement and cultivation, and has erected himself a fine brick residence, together with other necessary out-buildings. He has done more than this; he has by his energy and economy, added to his original eighty-acre tract, and is now the owner of 298 acres of good land.
Mr. Handley was married in Jefferson County, Ill., Feb. 10, 1842, and the lady who captivated and made a benedict of him was Miss Abigail Andrews. She was a daughter of Arba and Louisa (Graves) Andrews, natives of New York State, who emigrated from their native State to Jefferson County, Ill. Her mother died in Jefferson and her father in Marion County, Ill. Of their family of children five lived to attain the age of man and womanhood, and Mrs. H., like her husband, is third in order of birth of her parents' children who lived to attain the age of maturity. She was born in Jefferson County, Ill., on the 18th of January, 1824. The issue of our subject's union with Miss Andrews has been twelve children, named Arba L., Judson L., Axam I., Louisa L., George A., Abbie G., John Q., Pliny A., Edward S., Elmer L., Effie L., and Charles W. Axam I. died in 1867, when twenty-two years of age; Arba married Mary E. Horridge, and they are living in Missouri; Judson and Miss Melvina Collins were united in marriage, and are living in Carroll County, Iowa; Louisa is the wife of H. W. Blessing of Lisbon; Axam married Anna Speelman, and was a resident of this township until his demise; George A. and Mary J. Hupert became man and wife, and are living in Missouri; Abbie and Richard C. Collier were united in marriage and are living in Jones County, Iowa; John Q. married Sarah I. Porter, and they are residents of Woodbury County, this State; Pliny was married to Sarah J. Kramer, and they live in Cedar County, Iowa; Edward S. married Margaret Frutchey, and they are residents of Mt. Vernon; Elmer and Charles are living on the old homestead; and effie is the wife of John A. Bear, and they are living in Jones County, Iowa. Mr. Handley engaged in breeding thoroughbred Short-horns about 1873 and now has a good herd, and ranks among the leading stockraisers in the township; he has held several of the minor offices of this township and was the incumbent of the office of county supervisor, under the old township system, for two terms. He and his good wife are members of the United Brethren Church. In politics our subject is Republican, with strong prohibition ideas.
Johnston Elliott (1802-1887)
Portrait & Biographical Album of Linn County 1887
Johnston Elliott, Sr., deceased, was born in Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, February 22, 1802. His father was of Scotch-Irish descent. Our subject emigrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio in 1826 and made settlement in Knox County. He was a tanner by trade and was Postmaster at Mt. Vernon, the county seat of Knox County. He was united in marriage in 1831 with Miss Eliza Mills, who was born near Richmond, Virginia November 12, 1807.
Nine children were born to this union, 5 sons and 4 daughters, only 6 of whom are living at the present writing: Mary E., who is the widow of Henry Parkhurst and who is now residing at Marion, Iowa; Rebecca, who was the wife of Nathan Bixby and who died in 1856; Henry Prather married Maria Antoinette Twogood and is Chief of the Claim Department of the C M & St. P R R Co at Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Johnston married Esther Primrose and is a retired merchant of Marion; Milton L married Miss Susan L Lake and is engaged in the boot and shoe business at Marion; Lizzie G is a teacher in the Marion schools; Lester L married Miss Mary Winter and is the present Deputy Treasurer of Linn County; and 2 died in infancy.
Mr. Elliott emigrated from Ohio to Marion, Iowa in 1856. In politics, he was a Whig in early life, but on the organization of the Republican Party, he attached himself to that political body. He was an active politician and influential in party management. He was elected County Judge of Linn County, serving four years; he has also held many other minor offices in his county. Judge Elliott was a man of broad views, believing that the development of a sound moral character was more essential than the observance of peculiar forms of creeds. He was highly respected and held in warm esteem by a large circle of friends. His death occurred November 8, 1885 at Marion.
He wife is still a resident of that city. Mrs. Elliott, although 77 years of age, is active and energetic, with faculties unimpaired. She has lived a long life of usefulness and reared a large family of children. Possessed of a happy cheerful disposition, she has devoted herself to her husband and children and is now passing the evening of her days in quiet contentment in the company of her children and grandchildren.
ELLIOTT, Johnston Jr.
Johnston Elliott (1802-1887)
Biographical Record of Linn Co. Iowa, S.J. Clarke Publishing Company 1901
JOHNSTON ELLIOTT, Jr.
For over a third of a century this gentleman was prominently identified with the commercial interests of Marion, Iowa and was numbered among its foremost citizens. He was born in Mt. Vernon, Ohio, on the 21st of February 1842, and came with his parents to Marion, Iowa, April 6, 1856, when fourteen years of age. When a mere boy he engaged in teaming between here and Muscatine, carrying grain and produce to that city and returning with merchandise for the stores in Marion, and later he was employed as clerk in the general store of A. Daniels & Company, acquiring a good knowledge of mercantile business during the few years spent with them. In August 1865, he embarked in the grocery business at Marion in partnership with his brother Milton, and continued to engage in that line of trade until 1884 when he retired from business until June 1889. He then turned his attention to the lumber business, which he carried on in connection with his son-in-law for several years under the firm name of the Elliott-Davis Lumber Company. He was also interested in the Farmers & Merchants State Bank of Marion but during the last six years of his life lived retired from active business.
On the 19th of March 1866, Mr. Elliott was united in marriage with Miss Esther Primrose, of West Dryden, New York, who still survives him. Unto them were born three children, but Nellie, now Mrs. T. J. Davis, is the only one now living. Lavernie and George died of scarlet fever in 1878 within a few days of each other, the former at the age of eight, the latter at the age of three years.
Mr. Elliott died in Marion, April 17, 1899, and his death came as a loss to each individual of the community, as well as to his immediate family. He was one of the leading and representative citizens of Marion, as well as one of its most active and enterprising businessmen, ranking among its strongest men financially. He always took a prominent part in advancing any enterprise for the good of the city, and was preeminently public spirited and progressive.
One who knows him well said of Mr. Elliott that he did not lack in many of the virtues and excellencies which go to make up what is popularly termed a good man. He did not lack in any good business qualification. He was strictly and exclusively a businessman, and his ambition was to make a success of business, which he did. He prospered in every undertaking and his labors were crowned with success. He disdained mean competition, low tricks in trade, which have ruined many another. He was always fair and upright; was genial, warm and cordial in his greetings
in business relations, and it was a pleasure to do business with him. Mr. Elliott did not lack in those qualities which command the respect, confidence and admiration of the people. He drew these as a merchant, citizen and man, from all classes in a marked degree. While he never held any office, he could have had any position in the gift of the people had he consented to their oft-repeated solicitations. He felt that one thing well done, one business well established and successfully built up, was far better for himself and his town than many things partially accomplished and nothing a complete success. He liberally patronized every laudable enterprise for the improvement
of the town and help of its needy. He was large and open hearted and was especially fond of children. In turn they loved him for he always had a smile, a word of cheer and a drive for all. No man was more companionable and entertaining, or thoughtful for the comfort and happiness of those about him, and he lacked in none of those qualities which constitute a good husband and father.
TUILLAR J. DAVIS
Biographical Record of Linn Co. Iowa, S.J. Clarke Publishing Company 1901
In proportion to its population, Linn county has within its borders as large a number of prominent business and professional men as any county in the state, and among the representative business men none stand higher in the estimation of the public than the subject of this sketch, who is the manager and proprietor of the T. J. Davis Lumber Co., and vice president of the Farmers and Merchants State Bank of Marion. He was born in York County, Main, July 26, 1864, and is the son of Albion K. and Octavia (Challis) Davis, both of whom were natives of the same state.
The subject of this sketch was the youngest of two children, and in the public schools of Marion received his education. Leaving school at the age of sixteen years, he went into the First National Bank of the late R. D. Stevens, in the spring of 1881, and there remained six years, serving in various capacities, and getting a thorough knowledge of the banking business. From the bank he went into the grocery business with W. J. Collar, and under the firm name of Collar & Davis the business was continued for two years. Selling his interest in the grocery store, Mr. Davis then embarked in the lumber trade as a member of the Elliott & Davis Lumber Co., his partner being Johnston Elliott, his father-in-law. That business relation was continued for five years when Mr. Elliott sold his interest and Mr. Fulkerson became a partner, and the business was continued under the firm name of the Davis & Fulkerson Lumber Co. Three years later Mr. Fulkerson retired and Mr. Davis became sole proprietor, the business being continued under the name of the T. J. Davis Lumber Co.
In 1894, the Farmers and Merchants Bank was organized, Mr. Davis being one of the principal men in its formation. For two years he gave much of his time to the active management of the bank, and is now serving as vice-president. He is the largest stockholder in the bank, which is one of the best in Linn County. At the time the bank was organized a Building and Loan Association was also incorporated, and for the first two years Mr. Davis was its president, since which time he has served as treasurer. He is also treasurer of the local telephone company, which has been in existence for three years.
On the 14th of December 1887, Mr. Davis was united in marriage with Miss Nellie Elliott, and daughter of Johnston Elliott, Jr., and by this union four children have been born - Laverna E., aged twelve, Esther P., aged ten, Priscilla M., aged seven, and J. Elliott, aged one. The parents are members of the Congregational church, in which Mr. Davis has served at different times in various official positions.
Fraternally Mr. Davis is a Mason of high degree, and is now serving as worshipful master of the blue lodge, of Marion. He has at different times served his lodge as delegate to the Grand Lodge of the state and is now a member of the Finance Committee, of the Grand Lodge. Since its organization in 1894, he has been secretary of the Masonic Temple Association. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. Davis is a very busy man, enterprising in the highest degree. While his lumber interests requires the greater part of his time he gives much attention to the real estate business in which he is quite extensively interested, and also to the banking business. As administrator of the estate of Johnston Elliott, Jr., he has had much labor to perform. No man in Marion has done more for its business and commercial interests in the past twenty years than Mr. Davis. No enterprise calculated to advance the interest of his adopted city and county but finds in him a steadfast friend. His pluck, push and energy has brought him to the front in business circles, and his friends are numerous throughout Linn and adjoining counties.
ALBION K. DAVIS
Biographical Record of Linn Co. Iowa, S.J. Clarke Publishing Company 1901
This gentleman, who is now spending the closing years of a long and useful life free from business cares at his pleasant home in Marion, was for over thirty years prominently identified with railroad contracting, and was also engaged in mercantile pursuits in Marion for a time, but is now living retired. He was born in York county, Maine, on the 30th of July 1829, and is a son of Thomas and Mary (Durgin) Davis, both natives of Newfield, of that state. Throughout life the father followed the occupation of farming and continued to make his home in the old Pine Tree state until called to his final rest in August, 1852, at the age of fifty-two years and five months. He was widely and favorably known and was a worthy representative of an old Maine family. His grandfather, Daniel Davis, served as a private in the Revolutionary war for several years. The mother of our subject died at the home of her son Thomas M. in Missouri, in 1871, at the age of sixty-five years. Of the ten children of the family our subject is second in order of birth. The others who are still living are Thomas M., of Missouri; and Osborn, of the state of Washington.
During his early life A. K. Davis pursued his studies in the district schools of Maine, and aided in the work of the farm until after reaching manhood. Coming west in 1856, he located on a farm in Clinton county, Iowa, which he operated for several years. At the same time he also engaged in railroad construction in Illinois, and later rented his farm and gave his entire time and attention to the latter business. He helped build the Chicago & Northwestern road; the Sioux City road in 1867; and in 1870 built the first thirty miles of the Sabula, Ackley & Dakota Railroad, now a part of the St. Paul system. Later in 1870 he built the first ten miles of the Iowa Midland, from Clinton to Lyons; and a part of the road from Ottowa to Hedrick in 1882, employing many operatives. In 1887 he built a part of the branch of the B. & M. road in Cheyenne and Rawlins counties, Kansas, but since then has largely lived retired. In 1875 he removed to Marion and has since made this place his home. He first engaged in the hardware business, in which he continued for four years, when he sold out, and has practically since lived retired.
Mr. Davis was married in 1857, the lady of his choice being Miss Octavia Challis also a native of York county, Maine, and a daughter of Sumner and Susan Challis life-long residents of that state. The father, who was a farmer and miller by occupation, died in 1871, aged sixty-four years, and the mother passed away in 1895, aged ninety-seven. They had seven children, of whom only two now survive, these being Mrs. Davis and Albion, a resident of Maine. Mr. and Mrs. Davis have two children: Arethusa S., at home; and Tuillar J., a sketch of whom appears on another page of this volume.
Mr. Davis is a prominent Mason, having taken the thirty-second degree and his wife holds membership in the Congregational church. His active business life shows him to have been a man of enterprise and public spirit, and as a pioneer railroad builder he materially aided in opening up a large amount of territory for civilization. After a well-spent and useful life he can well afford to lay aside all business cares and enjoy the fruits of former toil, surrounded by a loving family and a large circle of friends and acquaintances who appreciate his sterling worth.
Gideon A. Mitchell
Contributed by, Ginger Simpson
"Prominent Men of Iowa" (under Linn Co., IA. Pg 786-7. c. 1886
Gideon A. Mitchell, Civil Engineer and County Surveyor of Linn County, residing at Cedar Rapids, was born at Marion, this state, March 1856. He was the son of Daniel and Abigail (Brown) Mitchell, native of Ireland, and Stark Co., Ohio, respectively.
Daniel Mitchell left the Emerald Isle when a young man, and emigrating to the United states, located in Pennsylvania. Remaining there a few years, he learned the Stone-Mason's trade and also served an apprenticeship at stone and brick masonry, and plastering.
Coming to Marion, this county, in 1848, he engaged in building and contracting, and was thus occupied until 1861. October 12 th of that year he enlisted in Co., H, 14th Iowa Vol. Infantry. and served the Union faithfully and well until the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Corinth, Shiloh, and Mission Ridge, and his regiment was with Sherman in his famous march to the sea, and participated in all the battles which took place, during that march.
After the war was over, Daniel Mitchell returned to Marion, where he remained until 1866. He then went to Sullivan Co., Mo., where he purchased a farm and followed agricultural pursuits for eight years. He then read law, and in 1876 was admitted to practice in that State, and followed his profession there for two years. In 1879 he removed to Templeton, Dak., where he has been in active practice until the present writing. He is the head of a family of ten children. --- Gideon A., Edwin A., Jessie B., Robert M., Darwin T., Josephine F., Jennie J., Nellie., Stilla H. (Estelle) Mark Lester.
The subject of this biographical notice worked on a farm until seventeen years of age, adding to his knowledge received in the common schools of practical education. He was what might be called a "home student," up to his eighteenth year, and about that age in life began teaching. Entering the North Missouri State Normal School when about eighteen, he continued to study there until he graduated in 1877.
After graduating he became Principal of the Know City, Mo., High School, and subsequently accepted a position as Deputy County assessor of Adair Co., MO. At the expiration of his term of office he returned to Iowa, where at Muscatine, he again engaged in teaching, until 1881. During that year he came to Cedar Rapids, where he has since lived. During 1884-85 he was Assistant City Engineer, was elected County Surveyor during the latter year and took possession of the office located at No. 24 First Avenue, Jan. 1, 1886, and now keeps two assistant.
Gideon A. Mitchell was married to Miss Maria (Myra Ada) Williams in 1879. She is a native of Cordova, Rock Island Co., ILL, and is the daughter of Charles and Sarah Williams. Her father is one of the Saulpaugh Company, bridges and railroad building and contractors. The home of our subject has been blest by the birth of two children - Charles E., and Flora.
In politics Mr. Mitchell is a Republican. He and his wife are both members of the Christian Church, and their residence is at No. 425 Fourth Avenue.
Theodore D. Lampman
Biographical Record of Linn Co. Iowa, S.J. Clarke Publishing Company 1901
This well known farmer residing on Section 10, Washington township, Linn county, Iowa, within a mile of Center Point, was born on the 5th of March, 1849, in Wayne county, New York, a son of Henry and Catherine (Wolcott) Lampman. The father was a native of New York, and followed farming in the latter state until 1853, when he removed to Branch county, Michigan, making his home there for six years. He was next a resident of Bureau county, Illinois, and from there removed to Stark county, that state, locating near Wyoming. Subsequently he returned to Michigan, where he spent four years, then resided for some years in Mrshall county, Illinois, after which he came to Iowa. Four years later he returned to Marshall County, Illinois where his wife died. He spent the last years of his life with his daughter, Mrs. Ryanary in Bowlder township, Linn county, Iowa.
During early life the subject of this sketch accompanied his parents on their various removals, and obtained his education in the public schools of Michigan and Illinois. In August, 1870, he came to Linn county, Iowa, and purchasing a team, he engaged in breaking prairie here for two or three years, having previously followed the same pursuit in Illinois. He then purchased eighty acres of wild land in Grant township, which he sold after breaking it, and for several years engaged in farming upon rented property. On the 4th of March, 1890, he located upon his present farm on section 10, Washington township, and after renting it for one year purchased the place. He has since remodeled the house, built a good barn and other outbuildings, has set out fruit and shade trees, and made many other improvements upon the place which add to its value and beauty.
Mr. Lampman was married in this county, November 6, 1873, to Miss Adelia Miller, who was born in Indiana and when a child came to Iowa, being reared in Linn county. She is the daughter of Milo Miller, whose sketch appears on another page of this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Lampman have seven children, namely: Nora, wife of Chalmer Graham, of Cedar Rapids; Theodore L., a farmer of Washington township; Alfred M., also a farmer of this county; Edith L., wife of Jesse Goins, a farmer of this county; and Cynthia, Daisy and James, all at home.
In his political views Mr. Lampman is a staunch Republican, having supported that party since he cast his first presidential vote for General U. S. Grant in 1872. He takes quite an active part in local politics, and is now serving his third term as township trustee. Although the township is Democratic, he was elected by a good majority, a fact which plainly indicates his personal popularity and the confidence and trust, reposed in him by his fellow citizens. He has also served two terms as road supervisor, and was a member of the school board for three years. Fraternally he is a member of the Iowa Legion of Honor, and religiously his wife is a member of the Church of Christ at Center Point. She has spent almost her entire life in this county, and Mr. Lampman has resided within its borders for over thirty years, and they have witnessed much of its growth and development. Both are widely and favorably known and are held in high regard in the community.
Charles A. Laurence
Biographical Record of Linn Co. Iowa, S.J. Clarke Publishing Company 1901
The art of publication has revolutionozed the world--has brought civilization to the dark corners of the globe, banished ignorance and practically annihilated barbarism. Knowledge is power, says the old proverb and knowledge has been brought to humanity mostly through publication. The business of printing and publishing has become one of the leading industries of the world and with it Charles A. Laurance is prominently connected as president of the Laurance Press Company of Cedar Rapids.
He was born near Rochester, New York, October 28, 1855, and is a son of Alexander and Eliza (Skinner) Laurance. The former, who was familiarly known as Father Laurance to the majority of the people of this county, was born in New Deer Parish, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, on the 30th of September, 1811. It was the desire of his father to educate him for the ministry, but owing to the death of the former the son was obliged to leave school at the age of thirteen years and was apprenticed to John Bruce, a wagonmaker at Strichan, his earnings going to the support of the family. After learning the trade Mr. Laurance continued to work for Mr. Bruce, and his successor and at Bruckley Castle, until August 17, 1833, when he emigrated to America. He arrived in Quebec, Canada, on the 1st of October, and remained there until 1838, when he went to St. Johnsbury, Vermont. After spending a short time there he removed to Geneseo, Livingston county, New York, and a year later took up his residence in York, the same county, where he worked at his trade until failing health compelled his retirement from that occupation in 1846. From that time until 1860 he was identified with public affairs as a county official, serving as sheriff, constable, collector of taxes, and then being appointed to the position of deputy United States marshal. In October, 1860, Mr. Laurance came to Cedar Rapids, and from 1862 until 1897 was almost continuously in public office here. In 1862 he was elected city marshal, which position he held until 1871; was county coroner from 1868 to 1890; and for twenty years was township trustee, assessor four years; and deputy United States marshal two years. He retired from public life in 1897, when his sight failed him.
On the 3d of May 1838, at Argyle, Washington county, New York, was celebrated the marriage of Alexander Laurance and Eliza Skinner, a native of that state, who died in 1867. Unto them were born eight children, of whom four are still living, namely: George A., Archibald S., Charles A. and Anna J., all well-known citizens of Cedar Rapids. During his last years the daughter devoted her life to the care of her father, showing a devotion tht is rarely seen. Before leaving his native land Mr. Laurance was inducted into the mysteries of the Masonic order, August 14, 1832, as a member of Fraser Lodge, Strichan, Scotland, which was organized as an operative body, but later speculative Masons were admitted as members. It was one of the few operative bodies then in existence. When Mr. Laurance came to America opposition to the order had become a political issue, and in some sections of the country ignorance and prejudice had made known membership in the Masonic order a source of danger, but the storm soon subsided, however, and Masonry, stronger than ever, was again triumphant. Mr. Laurance did not avail himself of the privileges of the order until he settled in Cedar Rapids, where, under the mastership of the late A. R. West, he was admitted as a member of Crescent Lodge, No. 25, of which body he was ever afterward an honored member. In fact few members of any society have been honored as he was recognized by Crescent Lodge, which on the 14th of August each year for several years appropriately celebrated the anniversary of his initiation into the order. He died at his residence, 818 Seventh avenue, February 9, 1901, and was laid to rest with Masonic honors in Oak Hill cemetery. In daily life and action he was ever genial and affable. He enjoyed the popularity which comes to those generous spirits who have a hearty shake of the hand for all of those with whom they come in contact from day to day, and who seem to throw around them in consequence so much of the sunshine of life.
Charles A. Laurance was only five years old when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Cedar Rapids, and in the public schools of this city he acquired his education. After leaving the high school he served an apprenticeship to the printer's trade in the office of the old Weekly Times, where he remained eighteen years, being superintendent of the office the last six years. In 1888 he embarked in the printing business on his own account as a member of the firm of Laurance & Carr, which was changed to a stock company in 1896, known as the Laurance Press Company, and he has since been president of the same. They do all kinds of job printing and book-binding, confining their operations mainly to Iowa, though they publish the Russell Railroad Guide, which is universally used all over the western states. Under the able management of our subject the business has steadily prospered and now ranks among the leading enterprises of the city.
Mr. Laurance was married, October 18, 1883, to Miss Jennie C. Price, of Cedar Rapids, a daughter of E. G. Price, one of the old settlers of Linn county, now deceased. By this union has been born one son, Harry, who is now attending the public schools of Cedar Rapids, the parents both hold membership in St. Paul's Methodist church, and Mr. Laurance is now serving as steward. Politically he is identified with the Republican party, and socially affiliates with Mt. Hermon Lodge, No. 263, F. & A.M.; Trowell Chapter, No. 49, R.A.M.; Apollo Commandery, No. 26, K.T.; and El Kahir Temple, N.M.S., of Cedar Rapids. Like his father he is widely and favorable known throughout this county, and has a host of warm friends in Cedar Rapids, where almost his entire life has been passed.
Dr. Richard Lord
Dr. Richard Lord, one of Cedar Rapids' most progressive physicians and surgeons, was born in Mantorville, Dodge county, Minnesota, on the 28th of October, 1868, his parents being Samuel and Louisa (Compton) Lord. The father was a native of Meadville, Pennsylvania, and there grew to manhood and was married. He acquired his literary education at Allegheny College of that place, and later took up the study of law and was admitted to practice in Pennsylvania. About 1860 he removed to Minnesota, where he followed his chosen profession. He was one of the most active and prominent representatives of the Republican party in his locality, and was elected to both the lower house and the senate of the state legislature, where he served for some time. Later he was elected judge of the fifth judicial district, and was holding that office at the time of his death, which occurred in 1880. His wife had died the year previous. Both were members of the Episcopal church and were people of prominence. In their family were eight children, of whom four are still living, viz: Samuel is a leading lawyer in Kasson, Dodge county, Minnesota, and is now a member of the state senate. He, too, takes an active interest in political affairs, and was chairman of the Minnesota delegation at the national convention held in Philadelphia in 1900. Hugh C., is a leading attorney of Erie, Pennsylvania, and is prominent in Republican politics. Myrtle A., is an artist of ability, who has devoted several years to study in Europe, but on account of ill health is not actively engaged in her art work at present. She resides with her brother in Erie, Pennsylvania. The Doctor completes the family. During his boyhood and youth Dr. Lord attended school in Mantorville, Kasson and Faribault, Minnesota, where the family resided at different times, and later was a student in the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis. Subsequently he took a four years' course at Rush Medical College, Chicago, and was graduated in 1893. He first located at Louisville, Nebraska, where he was engaged in practice for three years and in the fall of 1896 came to Cedar Rapids, where he has succeeded in building up a fine and lucrative practice. He is a member of the staff of St. Luke's hospital, and is also supreme medical examiner for the Fraternal Bankers Reserve Society. Fraternally he belongs to the Union Medical Society and the State Medical Society of Iowa, and is a charter member of Maine Lodge, I.O.O.F., of which he is now a past grand.
In 1894 Dr. Lord married Miss Jessie A. Leedy, and they now have one child, Josephine C., who was born September 28, 1899. Mrs. Lord was born in New Providence, Hardin county, Iowa, the daughter of Henry M. and Mary Elizabeth (Johnston) Leedy, but at the time of her marriage was living with her foster parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Lang, as Wasioja, Dodge county, Minnesota. She was educated in the seminary at that place and at Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio, taking a course in vocal music at the Conservatory of Music there. Religiously she is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
One of Cedar Rapids' most wide-awake and energetic business men is A. H. Newman, the secretary-treasurer and manager of the Cedar Rapids Candy Company, which largely through his well-directed efforts has become an important industry. He was born in Seneca Falls, New York, on the 30th of March, 1857, his parents being Thomas G. and Eliza (Powell) Newman, who were natives of Somersetshire, England, and came to America shortly after their marriage in 1854. In his native land the father had served a seven-years' apprenticeship to the printer's trade, and continued to follow that occupation there until his emigration to the United States. Locating in Seneca Falls, New York, he immediately turned his attention to the newspaper business, publishing a religious monthly, known as the Millennial Harbinger, in connection with a general printing business for a number of years. In 1866 he returned with his family to England, and was engaged in the same business at Teignmouth, Devonshire, for three years. On again crossing the Atlantic to the new world in 1869 Mr. Newman came to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he located on the 23d of June. Here he purchased a half interest in the office of the Linn County Signal, which he published in partnership with F. H. Williams, now of Mechanicsville, Iowa, for six months, and then became sole proprietor. In the fall of 1870 he started the Cedar Rapids Observer, which was the first daily of Linn county, and continued to publish that paper for two years, during which time he secured a large circulation. In the spring of 1872 he sold out to a stock company organized under the name of the Republican Printing Company, who still conduct the paper. After disposing of his interest in the same Mr. Newman remained one year as manager of the Republican. He removed to Chicago in 1873 and made his home there until 1896, publishing the American Bee Journal with good success, but in the spring of the latter year he went to San Francisco and established the Philosophical Journal, which he has since conducted. He has three children, all of whom were born in Seneca Falls, New York, namely: Henrietta, wife of Henry A. Cook, editor and publisher of the Fort Dodge Post; A. H., the subject of this sketch; and Matie, wife of Fred H. Chenoweth, who is engaged in the iron business in San Francisco, California.
Mr. Newman, of this review, acquired his early education in the schools of Seneca Falls, New York, and Devonshire, England, where he attended a private school. On the return of the family to America he entered the printing office with his father and learned the trade. At the age of fifteen he was occupying the position of bookkeeper, advertising solicitor, and when his father sold out his business here he remained in the employ of the Republican for one year. He accompanied his father on his removal to Chicago, and was identified with him as a partner in publishing the American Bee Journal until 1892, when he returned to Cedar Rapids, and in connection with Henry Rickel organized the Cedar Rapids Candy Company of which Mr. Rickel is president; E. H. Crocker, vice-president; and Mr. Newman, secretary, treasurer and general manager. They manufacture all kinds of candy, but their specialty is the Acme chocolates, for which the house has gained an excellent reputation. They do a large jobbing business and furnish employment to from sixty to eighty people, including six traveling salesmen, who solict trade all through Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota and Illinois.
On the 6th of May, 1880, Mr. Newman married Miss Lillian Rickel, a daughter of Henry Rickel, of Cedar Rapids, whose sketch appears on another page of this volume. They have two children: Irene, who is now attending the preparatory school for Vassar College; and John H., a student in the Cedar Rapids high school. Mr. Newman is president of the Occidental Club of Cedar Rapids, a social organization, and is an active member of the First Presbyterian church, in which he has served as usher many years and as a teacher in the Sunday school. In politics he is a Democrat, but supported William McKinley for the presidency in 1896 and 1900. As a business man he is conscientious and thoroughly reliable, and in all the relations of life has been found true and faithful to every trust reposed in him, so that he well merits the high regard in which he is uniformly held.
Taken from The Biographical Record of Linn County Iowa, S.J. Clarke and Co. 1901
James A. North;
Among the honored veterans of the Civil War residing in Linn County is this well known citizen of Center Point. He was born in Trumbull County, Ohio on the first day of January 1829. He is a representive of a family of Scotch origin which was fonded in Maryland in a early day.
His paternal grandfather Geo. North Sr. was a teamster for the Continuel Army in the Revolutionary war. His father Geo. North Jr. was a native of Maryland and when a young man removed to Ohio, where he married Miss Nancy Patterson who was also born in Maryland. Her father David Patterson fought for seven years for the freedom of the colonies in the revolution and was wounded several times. He subsequently received a pension from the Gvt. For some years the father of our subject followed farming in Ohio. In 1849 moved to DeKalb County Indiana where he received a tract of Gvt. with a land warrant. He remained there until his death in January 1877. His wife died in 1883.
The subject of this review was reared on the old home farm in Ohio and recieved a rather limited education in its public schools. He was married Dec. 4, 1853 in Union County Ohio to Miss Martha J. Newland She was born in Logan County Ohio Jan. 21, 1834. She taught school for several years prior to the marriage. She is the daughter of Andrew A. Newland . Of the four children born to Mr. and Mrs. North The oldest Martin W. died at the age of ten years while his father was in the Army. A daughter died in infancy. Those living are Franklin a resident of Okla. City and Charles H. who was educated in Houghton N.Y. and is a traveling salesman residing in Kansas City.
For some years Mr. North engaged in farming in Union County Ohio and then spent four years in farming in DeKalb and Noble Counties Indiana after which he returned to Ohio. On August 28, 1861 he enlisted for three years in the 31st. Ohio Vol. Infantry Co. F. part of the Army of the Tennessee. He was third Sgt. then Orderly Sgt. then 1st. Leut. Fought in battles of Cumberland Gap, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and Atlanta Campaign then with Sherman on march to sea came back through Richmound then on to Washington for Grand Review Discharged at Columbus Ohio July 1865.
Farmed untill 1867 then came to Linn county Iowa. Had 80 acres in Grant Twp. built up to 200 acres which he sold in 1885. Went to Stevens County Kansas and homesteaded 480 acres. After four years sold out and returned to Linn County Iowa. Was first a democrat and voted for Franklin Pierce in 1852. Became a Lincoln Republican, is a charter member of Dennison Post # 244 G.A. R. Center Point Iowa.
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2002 by Sandra Newman Sanchez
All Rights Reserved