Linn County, IA Biographies
Bourbon County, KS
A. H. TANNER, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Mapleton, is a native of Huron Co, OH, born in 1837; was raised in Lorain Co and educated at Oberlin College, leaving there in 1855; coming to Kansas in 1856, with a party of other men, they met
they met a small party of Missourians, who ordered them back, until meeting a larger force near the Nebraska line, they were compelled to return to Iowa. In March, 1857, he got to Lawrence and from there went to Linn County, where he located on a farm and took an active part in Free-State proceedings, being nominated as one of the delegates to frame the Wyandotte Constitution. He was the recipient of one of the hundred Sharpe's rifles that were sent to John Brown and distributed at that time, and was with Montgomery on numerous raids. He was in Fort Scott under his command when Mr. Little was killed, and in 1861 joined Col. Jennison's Sharpe's rifle corps, imperiling his life in many instance under that daring leader. In 1860, he took a trip to Colorado, returning in the fall of the same year, he went back to Ohio, in 1862, but came to Kansas again in 1865, where he has been since. In 1860, he located his farm of 160 acres on Section 7, in Bourbon County. It was not until within the last few years that he was able to make farming pay, but since then he has made giant strides, perfecting his seed corn in a manner peculiar to himself; has succeeded in raising over one hundred bushels per acre, and raising and handling 100 cattle a year and about 150 hogs. His farm is now 250 acres. In 1859, he married Miss Wilson, of Kalamazoo, Mich. He has two children by his first wife, and a son by the second. His eldest son is attending school in Topeka. Mr. Tanner has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1870. His father was a member for fifty-six years, and died at Newburg, Ohio, in 1879.
Cloud County, KS
ISAAC BIGGS, merchant, P. O. Glasco, was born in Indiana, September 26, 1846, and removed to Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1949; thence to Cloud County, Kan., in 1870, and preempted 160 acres of land, on which the town of Glasco is situated. Mr. Biggs had the town of Glasco laid out in the spring of 1870, and erected the first frame building in the said town, and held the office of postmaster at this place for nine years. He is now engaged in general merchandising and doing a good business in a stone store building 24x70 feet.
He was married in Cloud county, January 1, 1872, to Miss Sarah C. Starke and has two children--Adah born November 28, 1873, and Oral E., born in January, 1876.
Crawford County, KS
THOMAS W. WELLS, attorney at law, was born in Bloomington, Ind., in 1834, and received his rudimentary and literary education in the schools of his nativity. In 1852, he located in Marion, Linn Co., Iowa, and carried on his professional studies until 1856, when he located at Osceola, Iowa, and was identified with his profession there until 18709. He then located here and has been connected with the practice of his profession since. He married in 1854, Miss Martha J. Coombes, who was born in Indiana, and reared in Linn County, Iowa. they have a family of three sons and two daughters - Henry J., agent of the Adams Express Company, here; Lucy M., now Mrs. J. H. McClure, abstract office; William R., in mercantile business; Emma and Edwin E. Mr. Wells is a member of Board of Aldermen for his city. He has been an active member of the I. O. O. F. society since 1872. He and family are members of the Christian Church.
Davis County, KS
SAMUEL H. CHURCH, of the firm of Church & Hurley, manufacturers and dealers in all kinds of harness and saddles; was born in Allen County, Ohio, June 18, 1842. He moved to Linn County, Iowa, in 1852, enlisted in August 1862, in Company F, Twentieth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Prairie Grove, Arkansas, Vicksburg, Miss., Mobile, Ala., and Fort Morgan, besides many skirmishes. He was mustered out of the United States service at Mobile, Ala., and discharged in Clinton, Iowa, July 27, 1865, then farmed until he came to Kansas in 1869, farming five years and-a-half, then moved to Central City, Iowa, keeping a hotel and harness shop until he returned to Junction City, January 10, 1880. He was married in Linn County, Iowa, in 1868, to Miss Mary C. Dennis, of Logan County, Ohio. He is a member of Lodge No. 32, Ancient Order of United Workmen.
NELSON H. McCOY, of the firm of Work & McCoy, dealers in grain, farm implements, wagons and buggies; business opened in 1878, by Schmucker & Work. N. H. McCoy purchased the interest of Schmucker in 1880. They carry a stock of agricultural implements of $3,000 value; they shipped about six car loads of wheat per week during the business season of 1882, and during the whole season about 150 car loads. Mr. McCoy first located in Ellsworth in the spring of 1878, and engaged as a clerk in a grocery store two years, when he returned to Iowa and remained some time; thence to his present business. He was born in Delphos, Allen County, Ohio, in 1858; was educated at Cornell College, in Mt. Vernon, Iowa. His father served out
county during the late war, and died from the effects of exposure while in service. His mother moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, when he was nine years old, where he was raised.
William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas
Published in 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.
Copyright © 1998 by Sue Soden, All Rights Reserved.
Linn Co. IAGenWeb | Biography Index