©2003 Sandra Newman Sanchez
Mt. Mercy College and Academy
A School for Girls
Elmhurst Drive Cedar Rapids Iowa
Sared Heart Hall
In 1906 the Sister's of Mercy purchased Mound Farm and opened a young ladies boarding school in it's large Mansion.
The schools aim was to send forth young ladies fitted for the duties of life and distinguished by refinement, scholarly ability and piety.
Within three years the demand for more space required the erection of a new building known as Sacred Heart Hall which served the school for fifteen years.
Mt. Mercy Academy
By 1926 the spitit of progress forced upon the institution the necessity of more spacious buildings. Therefore
On September 3, 1926 the newly erected Mt. Mercy Academy opened it's doors for the first time.
The following pages contain information about Mt. Mercy Acadamy for the stated years