Linn County, Iowa
|813 1st Avenue SE
|| P.O. Box 175
| Cedar Rapids, Iowa
|| Cedar Rapids, Iowa
| (319) 369-0022
Who Are We?
The Genealogical Society of Linn County, Iowa was organized in 1965 under the name Linn County Heritage Society with sixteen members. In 1994, with a membership of over 300, the name was changed to better reflect the aims and goals of the Society. The goals are to promote an interest in genealogy, to preserve Linn County records of cemeteries, churches, schools, courthouse documents, maps, family histories and to maintain a genealogical library.
The Society's library is supported entirely through membership dues, monetary donations and genealogical materials. Donations, research fees and sale of Genealogical materials, memorials gifts, or estate bequests made to our Society are tax deductible. Our library is staffed entirely by volunteers who perform a variety of services. We have no paid staff. The library is located at 1st Avenue and 8th Street SE, Cedar Rapids in the Masonic Library & Museum.
What's In the Library?
Visitors to the Society's library will find a large collection of Linn County Books, including County and City Histories, City Directories from 1869-present, maps, atlases, a collection of Linn Co. school and church records, mortuary records of many funeral homes, cemetery records, Linn County obituaries 1894 to present (early books incomplete), files of historical newspaper clippings, military records, bibles records, diaries, family genealogies, misc. photographs, Cedar Rapids Birth Records 1921-1970,Cedar Rapids Death Records 1894-1970 and much more.
There is a large collection of Iowa Records such as county and town histories, Quaker records, W.P.A. cemetery records, Iowa Federal Census Indexes 1850, 1860, 1870, city directories, and Civil War Rosters.
A collection of Over 15,000 Books and Periodicals for other states and countries; including PA, VA, OH, IN, and NY, immigration records, DAR Linage books, and many reference and "how to" books. The collection also includes 300 Computer Disks and 2,646 Microfilm Rolls.
Evening meetings which are held the 4th Thursday of each month except November which is held the 3rd Thursday. There are no meetings in December and January. Dates and programs are published in the "Linn County Heritage Hunters." quarterly newsletter and in the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Visitors are always welcome to attend these meetings, which at the Genealogical Society Library. Located in the lower level of the Masonic Library.
Microfilm Records - Linn County
- Marriage Records 1840-1928
- Marriage Indexes 1840-1933
- Birth Records 1880-1932
- Birth Indexes 1880-1924
- Death Records 1880-1924
- Death Indexes 1880-1924
- Declaration of Intention 1873-1906
- Naturalization Records 1856-1878
- Naturalization Calendar 1898-1903
- Naturalization Indexes 1881-1906
- Administrator's Bonds 1873-1895
- Guardianship Records 1840-1920
- Probate Records 1840-1924
- Probate Indexes 1840-1900
- Linn County 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930
- Iowa Soundex 1880, 1900, 1920
- Wisconsin Territorial 1836-1842
- Census of Cedar Rapids 1895
- Linn County (indexed) 1856
- Linn County (indexed) 1885
- Linn County (indexed) 1895
- Linn County 1915
- Linn County (indexed) 1925
- Land Records 1841-1886
- Land Records Indexes 1841-1890
- Town Lot Records 1856-1893
- Town Lot Indexes 1855-1870
- Quaker Records 1865-1910
- Birth Records / Titus (see note) 1921-1958
- Death Records / Titus (see note) 1921-1959
- Cedar Rapids Gazetteer 1883-1915
- Cedar Rapids Republican 1872-1885
- Cedar Rapids Standard 1878-1887
- Cedar Rapids Times 1871-1883
- Cedar Rapids Weekly Gazette 1890-1906
- Cedar Valley Times 1857-1870
- Center Point 1873-1951
- Central City 1859-1957
- Coggan 1916-1972
- Lisbon 1888-1922
- Marion Sentinel 1890-1988
- Mt. Vernon Hawkeye 1869-1984
- Springville 1896-1935
- Walker 1883-1942
- Western IA 1859-1870
- American Gazetteer 1797
- LDS Family Registry, July 1989
- Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America
- Genealogical and Historical Atlas of the United States 1790-1909
- History of Berks County, PA 1846
- History of the Cumberland Valley in Pennsylvania 1862-1934
- Norwegian Postal Guide 1901
- Register of towns, 1841-1881 Census of England and Wales (indexed by streets)
- German Gazetteer, 1912 with maps (all in German)
- Survey Gazetteer of the British Isles (9th Edition, 1964)
- Vital Records of Rhode Island 1636-1850
The Society will do research in most situations at a rate of $10.00 per hour for members and $15.00 per hour for non members, plus all copying fees.
Yearly membership dues for the Genealogical society (valid from January 1 to December 31 of each year) are $15.00 for an indivual and $18.00 for a family. Members will receive the "Linn County Heritage Hunters" quarterly newsletter.
The "Dear Genie" column was established in the Sunday edition of the Cedar Rapids Gazette in January 1973 to aid anyone searching for an Iowa ancestor. Queries have 50 word limit and must have an Iowa connection. Send printed or typed queries to: Dear Genie, P.O. Box 175, Cedar Rapids, IA 52406 "
Available to Purchase
- An application must be completed and information verified.
- Pioneer Certificate per Ancestor $5.00 each.
- A Gold Seal Certificate
- will be given for ancestors in Linn County prior to 1850
- A Silver Seal Certificate
- will be given for ancestors in Linn County after 1850