Early History of Coggon
Prepared for the American History and Genealogy Project.
This is not a USGenWeb Project or Property
Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by Sandra Sanchez
All Rights Reserved
In the early history of the town, the mill played a very important
part. It was the driving force that helped to start the town.
The area had been surveyed by 1840, but the first settler on record in
the area of the future town was a Nathan Haight. Coming from New York
State in 1851, he filed on forty acres adjacent to and including a mill
site on the Buffalo River. The
tract was part of a U.S. governmental reserve set aside for veterans of
the Mexican War.
In exploring along the stream where it bows to the north, Mr. Haight
beheld a spot where the water fell on two large stones. It was called
In 1858, it became the property of William BRUCE, an emigrant from
Scotland, who entered a half section of land. He immediately began
erecting the first flour mill in this part of the country. He built a
frame house on top of the hill, a short distance southeast of the mill
site and lived there while building the mill. When that was finished he
built a stone house in addition to the frame one. Today it is the
residence of Marland Schott on Market Street. In the spring of a859,
the family moved into the stone house and used the frame building for a
general store. Wm. Weeks Sr., a stone mason, with some help, built the
mill and stone house. Issac Branch did the carpenter work and Mr.
Lennox Sr. assisted. Alexander Rick, known as Sandy Rick, helped in
making and installing the flour making machinery. Jacob Clark was the
mill-wright. They started grinding soon after the harvest in 1859, and
John Morris Phillips brought the first wheat to be ground into flour.
The stone mill was located just north of the old railroad station.
All material on this site (c) 2000 by Sandra Sanchez
All rights reserved