Contributed by, J. B Baker
Cedar Rapids Gazette, Thursday, March 17, 1904
A small but very pretty wedding took place last night at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert W. Lee, 1436 Bever Avenue. At 8 o'clock in the evening, Mildred, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lee, was married to Mr. John L. Rau, in the presence of guests who were all relatives. The house was decorated with in green and white. Festoons of smilax were draped from the ceiling of the parlor and a mass of palms and ferns made a backdrop for the bridal party. Smilax adorned the hall and festoons of white ribbons were in the setting room.
The Rev. E. J. Lockwood, pastor of St. Paul's M.E. church, performed the ceremony. Miss Ethel Rau, sister of the groom, played the wedding march….led by a tiny niece of the bride, Clarise Autumn Hills of Ottumwa. The little maid of four years wore a white silk frock and carried the rings on a silver tray. She was followed by a niece and nephew of the bride, Miss Leona Brown and Wayne Brown. Miss Brown wore pink and carried pink carnations. The bride and groom entered together. The bride's gown was champaign voile over white silk and trimmed with lace medallions and bertha. A white velvet girdle and stock, and a bouquet of bridal roses completed a beautiful toilette.
The wedding supper was served by two sisters of the bride, Mrs. A. J. Hills, Mrs. C. O. Brown and Miss Leah Williams. A special table for the bridal party was decorated in green and white and small tables for the guests were in green and pink.
Many handsome and useful gifts were testimony to the esteem felt for the bride and groom. A gift especially noted was an elegant silver loving cup presented by Co. C of which Mr. Rau is second lieutenant. The bride has lived in Cedar Rapids but three years and has made many friends in that period.
Mr. and Mrs. Rau will live at home after April 1 at 1434 Bever Avenue.