Thadeus Eames, the subject of this sketch, came to Henderson county an old man and is now ninety-four years of age, being the oldest man but one in the county. He is the son of Joseph and Mary (Rice) Eames, and was born in 1790, in Worcester county, Massachusetts. His ancestry was English, having come over before the revolutionary war, in which his father fought as a private soldier. When he was one year old his parents removed to Oneida county, New York, where he received his education in the common school. In 1835 he emigrated to Henderson county, Illinois. Mr. Eames was married on January 4, 1814, to Miss Orinda Cooper. To them were born five sons, of whom but one, Albert, is living. The eldest, Franklin, died of consumption in 1848; the second, Joseph, a grocer of Oquawka, died of cholera on a boat on the Mississippi coming home from St. Louis, where he had been buying goods; the fourth son, Obadiah, of Red Wing, Minnesota, died in 1880, leaving to his family a very large estate; the youngest son, O. H. Perry, was also a victim of consumption. In 1853, five years after the death of his first wife, Mr. Eames was married again to Mary Elizabeth Sumner. Mr. Eames began life with nothing; he has now two beautiful farms of 320 acres each, on one of which he resides.
Terre Haute Township, page 1284
Among the first pioneers to locate in this township was the Edmunds family. Oliver Edmunds, the subject of this sketch, was born
in Ohio, and emigrated when eight years old to Henderson county
with his parents, Obediah and Lydia (Moors) Edmunds. His father
was a native of Rutland county, Vermont, born in 1788. Obediah
Edmunds Jr.'s father, Obediah Edmunds Sr. was a native of Rhode
Island, but was reared principally in Vermont. He married in Vermont, where he raised a family and died. He married Sarah Williams,
a granddaughter of Roger Williams. He was a revolutionary soldier
and belonged to the Vermont Minute Men. James Edmunds, father
of Obediah Edmunds, Sr., was also engaged in the revolution and was
taken prisoner by Burgoyne's scouts. About 1810 Obediah Edmunds
Jr. emigrated to New York, where he resided till 1819, when he
removed to Columbia county, Pennsylvania. In 1826 he moved to
Ohio, where he remained till 1837. He then came to Henderson
county with his family, and located in T. 8, R. 5, near the south line
of the county, where he resided till his death, which occurred in 1853,
in the sixty fifth year of his age. His wife survived him six years,
and died in her seventy-third year. They built the second house
in the township. They raised a family of ten children, only two
of whom are now living. Obediah Jr. was in early life a member of
the Methodist Episcopal church, but died a Quaker. In politics he
was a radical anti-slavery advocate. Oliver Edmunds, his son, lives
on the old homestead, where he was born in 1825. His early education was limited, because of there being but few schools here during
his boyhood. He was reared on the farm where he has since lived.
In 1854 he was married to Eliza Spiker, of Ohio, born in 1834,
daughter of Henry and Rachel (Hekle) Spiker; the latter of Maryland,
the mother of Virginia. In 1839 they came with the early settlers and
located in Hancock county, where Henry Spiker died in 1846, at the
age of thirty-four years. His wife yet resides in Hancock county,
where they first located. Oliver Edmunds has by this marriage four
children: Marilda, John A., Charles S. and Bertie H. He has a
well improved farm of 555 acres and keeps a good grade of all kinds
of farm stock.
Biggsville Township, Page 1358
THOMAS R. EDWARDS, farmer, Biggsville, was born in Belmont county, Ohio, November 29, 1820. His youth and the greater part of his life was spent in his native county on a farm; beginning almost with the beginning of settlement in the Buckeye State. February 25, 1851, he was united in marriage with Miss Susan Cook, also a native of Belmont county, Ohio, born August 1, 1827. In the fall of 1860 he removed to Henderson county, Illinois, and four years later permanently located on his farm in Sec. 22, T. 10, R. 4, where he now enjoys the comforts of a pleasant home, and honored by six interesting children, whose names, in the order of their birth, are: John W., Orloff D., Stephen C., David B. and (twins) Charles H. and Emma F. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. His parents were John and Prudence (Booth) Edwards; the former born in Wales in 1792, and when but a small boy was brought to the United States with his parents, John and Elizabeth (Watkins) Edwards. He died in Belmont county, Ohio, in 1830. The latter was the daughter of Edwin Booth, who was born and educated in London, England, and came to America as a British soldier during the war of the revolution, and died here a true patriot to the colonial cause, in his ninety-sixth year, in Holmes county, Ohio. Thomas R. Edwards is one of a family of five children: Edwin, Elizabeth, Rachel and Rebecca. His father was one of a family of four sons, Walter, John (himself) and Thomas born in Wales, and David born in America in 1803. The three eldest were born in 1790, 1792 and 1795 respectively. Their father was a prominent educator both in Europe and America.
Hamilton Evans, a son of John and Nancy (McDonald) Evans, was born January 19, 1828, in Monroe county, Ohio. His father is a native of Maryland, and his mother of Pennsylvania. They were married in Pennsylvania, moved to Virginia, Ohio, and Indiana, respectively, and finally in 1836 came to Illinois and secured eighty acres of land on Sec. 3, T. 9 N., R. 5 W., Henderson county. They wintered one fourth mile south of the present site of Olena, in a log house already built. In the following year a log cabin 16 X 18 was erected and occupied. About 1847 Mrs. Evans died, and was buried in Olena cemetery. She was the mother of twelve children. Mr. Evans next married Mrs. Sarah (Waggy) Mills. In 1853 he sold his farm to his sons John and Hamilton. After a journey to Indiana and Ohio, he bought property in Oquawka, where he lived some years. Later he located in Gladstone, where he now resides. There are two children in the last family. Hamilton Evans was raised to all the rustic duties incident to a farmer's life. He was married August 31, 1853, to Ann B. White, a native of Greene county, Ohio, and who came with her father, Stephen White, to Henderson county about 1835. Mr. Evans settled one fourth mile west of his present residence. In 1862 he occupied his present place, comprising now about 400 acres. The farm is largely the result of his own efforts economy. In 1850 Mr. Evans, with his family, crossed the plains to California, and returned two years later.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
Connie Lovitt Bates