GEORGE M. JAMISON, farmer, Biggsville, was born in Henderson county, Illinois, May 17, 1835. His parents, James and Mary (McKinney) Jamison, were born October 7, 1805, and April 28, 1798, respectively. They were united in marriage March 8, 1827, and reared a family of five children, whose names in the order of their birth were Samuel, Sarah A., Mary J., Margaret E. and George M. They died in Henderson county, Illinois, she in August, 1843, and he in October of the same year. They emigrated to this county in 1830 from Perry county, Indiana. He was the eldest son of Samuel and Sarah (Rowland) Jamison, and brother of John C. Jamison, whose biography appears elsewhere in this chapter. George M., the subject of this notice, was reared on a farm with only the advantages of a common school education, completed with six months at Abingdon College. His education, however, in the way of economy, industry and integrity was full and complete. January 10, 1861, he married Miss Sophia Van Tuyl; she was born near Dayton, Ohio, May 8, 1839, and came with her parents to Henderson, Illinois, in 1854. Her father died October 8, 1880, in Warren county, and her mother still resides there. In 1862 Mr. Jamison enlisted in Co. K, 84th Ill. Vol Inf., from which he was discharged after one year's service on account of disability. In the fall of 1878 he bought a residence in Biggsville, where he now (1882) lives, though he is engaged in farming, stockraising and feeding. He is now in comfortable circumstances, owning two farms containing 360 acres of land besides his village residence. His children are Alfred L., Sarah B., Herbert and Howard.
JAMES W. JAMISON, son of John C. and Sarah (Stice) Jamison, was born in Henderson county, Illinois, August 17, 1845. Was reared on his father's farm, where he is now engaged in farming. April 7, 1872, he married Miss Nancy J. Luten, of Lee county, Iowa. She was born in Ohio, March 16, 1850. They are the parents of three children: Nora C., Estella T. and Thadius. His brother, William H., was born in 1841, August 30. Served in the late war, in the 89th Ill. Vol. Inf. Was wounded and died October 18, 1868.
Biggsville Township, Page 1350
JOHN JAMISON, son of James and Elizabeth (Ewing) Jamison, and only brother of Samuel Jamison, emigrated to this county from Grayson county, Kentucky, a few years later than the other members of the Jamison family. He settled on Sec. 6, T. 10, R. 4, the first one on the prairie in that neighborhood. His bones now rest in the Smith Creek cemetery. His wife was formerly Miss Ann Beatty. His children were Joseph (now dead), Elizabeth, Margaret, William, Jane, Sarah (the three latter dead), Nancy and Samuel (living). His son Joseph's family are the only representatives of his now living in this county, and are worthy representatives of the name.
John C. Jamison, retired farmer, Biggsville. In writing the history of Henderson county it is rarely the privilege of the biographer to sketch the life of one having a continuous residence in the county since 1829. Nevertheless that man is found in the person of Mr. Jamison. He was born in Grayson county, Kentucky, February 3, 1811, on the same day which gave birth to the venerable Horace Greeley. His father, Samuel Jamison, was born in Pennsylvania, and his grandfather, James Jamison, was a native of Ireland. He, with his parents, emigrated to America about the middle of the seventeenth century, being then but a boy. He, with his son Samuel (the father of our subject), emigrated from Brownsville, Virginia, via the rivers, to where Louisville, Kentucky, now stands, though at that time the place could boast of only one log cabin. Here Samuel married Sarah Rowland, by whom he had born to him three sons. Lost his wife by death; remarried, and in 1819 removed to Perry county, Indiana. His second marriage was with Mrs. Melinda (Richards) Short. His mother, before marriage, was Miss Elizabeth Ewing, a lady whose family were noted for their rare moral and intellectual worth. In 1830 he emigrated to Henderson county, Illinois, where he died August 20, 1845. Having spent the greater part of his life in the tall timbers of Kentucky and Indiana, he attained to a great degree those characteristics and great physical powers so honored and loved among the true pioneers. Of his three sons, John C. may be mentioned as the pioneer of the family in Henderson county. His father sent him here in 1829 prospecting for a suitable locality, with a view to settling the family, which was done the following year. He was married in this county September 15, 1836, to Miss Sarah Stice, a native of Montgomery, Illinois. She died August 8, 1879, where she so long lived and reared her family. The children are Martha (wife of Wm. Bell), James W. and Tabitha, living; Caroline, Thomas and William H., deceased. By industrious labor and good management Mr. Jamison has secured a competency of this world's goods, owning, besides his residence in Biggsville, a fine farm of 250 acres, in Secs. 6 and 7.
Biggsville Township, Page 1350
WILLIAM R. JAMISON (deceased), another of the first pioneers of Henderson county, was born in Grayson county, Kentucky, in 1808. In 1819 he removed with his father (Samuel Jamison) to Perry county, Indiana, and in 1829 emigrated to Henderson county, Illinois. In Indiana he was united in marriage with Miss Martha Findley, by whom he has two sons living, Rev. John C. Jamison and F. M. Jamison. His second wife was Miss Margaret Giles (now deceased). By this union he has four children, viz: Porter, Henry, Ewell and Fannie. A few years ago he went to Jacksonville, Florida, with a view to improving his failing health, and there died, June 17, 1882. He was the second son of Samuel Jamison, elsewhere mentioned in this chapter.
Biggsville Township, Page 1350
WILSON B. JAMISON, farmer, Biggsville, son of Joseph and Sarah (VanTuyl) Jamison, and grandson of John Jamison, was born in Henderson county, Illinois, January 12, 1852. His grandfather John was an only brother of Samuel Jamison, mentioned elsewhere in this work. The subject of these few notes was born and reared on the farm where he now lives, on Sec. 31, T. 11, R. 4, and received the best education that could be obtained in the common schools, besides two years at Monmouth College and one year at Mount Pleasant, Iowa. After completing his education he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. December 1, 1874, he married Miss Christena Wiegand, daughter of William Weigand, of Biggsville. After his marriage he at once went to Bedford, Iowa, where he engaged in the grain trade, but one year later returned to his farm, satisfied to be content in the humble vocation of a farmer. For the last three years he has been in feeble health, caused by being overcome with heat in 1879. His father died March 5, 1855, leaving four children, three of whom are now living: Michael V., Anna J. and Wilson B., the subject of this sketch, who has two children, Harry F. and Jesse Joseph. They are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church.
Bedford Township. Page. 269-270
Aaron Johnson was born in Hunterton county, New Jersey, 1833. He was educated at a common school, and learned the trade of carpenter and joiner, which he has since followed. In 1857 he came to Fulton county, where he sought and found employment at his trade, at which he worked for nine months, after which he removed to Henderson county, in the spring of 1858. He was married in the spring of 1859 to Miss Catharine Coozatt, of Fulton county, Illinois. By this union two children were born to them: Liddie and Minnie C., who are living at home. In Mr. Johnson's father's family there were eleven children, of whom he was the eldest: Emma E., died and her remains repose in Somerset county, New Jersey; Cornelius resides in New Jersey; Mary J., wife of A. E. Reed, John M., Jacob W., Hannah M., Ellen and Sarah, all reside in New Jersey; Dewitt lives in Adams county, Iowa; Liddie Josephine died when seven years old. Mr. Johnson's father, of German descent, was born in New Jersey, and is still living at the age of seventy years. His mother's maiden name was Liddie Wycooll and was also of German ancestry. During the late war our subject was a member of the 30th Ill. Inf., and was engaged with his regiment at the battles of Nashville and Kingston. He served until the close of the war in 1865. His regiment formed a part of the 17th Army Corps, under Gen. Sherman. Mr. Johnson has never had any political aspirations nor sought for office, neither has he connected himself with any of the benevolent organizations of the present time, but is social and free in his habits and opinions, and liberally supports the cause of education, religion, good morals, and public progress. The estimate here placed upon his character is a willing testimony of many who have known him for years.
J. M. Johnson was born in district Fensjo, Sweden, in 1845. He there received a high school education and was apprenticed to learn the blacksmith trade at the Agricultural Industrial School. He came to America in 1869, landing in Burlington, Iowa. He finished this trade and went to LaHarpe and spent a part of his time at Roseville. In 1874 he came to Raritan, where he worked for awhile as a jour. for one year or until 1875, when he began business for himself. He was married in Webster county, Iowa, to Miss Annia Josephine Peterson in 1874. This union has been blessed by three children, two boys and one girls. Mr. Johnson's father is deceased, and his mother resides in Sweden with her sister. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Masonic order, and a member and deacon in the Swedish church organization of Raritan. In politics he is a republican.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
Connie Lovitt Bates