Terre Haute Township, page 1287-1288
Joseph H. Magie is a native of New Jersey, born in 1831, son of
Abraham and Pheobe (Tunis) Magie, both of New Jersey. His father
was born in 1799, at East Madison, and died in 1869. His mother
was born in 1819, and died in l874. In 1856 they emigrated to Illinois,
and lived the remainder of their days at Terre Haute, where they were
farmers and kept hotel for several years. He also engaged with
his son, Joseph H., in the broom business from 1856 to 1868. His
wife was, at the time of her death, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He was, in his early life, a member of that denomination,
but at the time of his death was a Free Will Baptist. In 1855
Joseph H. came; located in Terre Haute, Illinois, where he has since
lived. He was reared on the farm, which he has always followed,
except the time from 1856 to 1868, when in the broom manufactory,
and even then carried on the farm. He has made corn and hogs a
specialty. He has a fine farm of 112 acres. He sometimes feeds
cattle for the market, and keeps good grades of farm stock. He
was married in 1858, to Martha A. Averett, of North Carolina,
born in 1831. She is the daughter of Simeon and Nancy Averett,
both of whom were natives of North Carolina. Her father now
lives with his daughter, Mrs. J. H. Magie. He was in the Mormon
troubles at Carthage, Hancock county. He was relieved from the duty of guarding the jail at ten o'clock in the morning and Joseph
Smith was killed the following evening. He is now seventy-six years
old. He first located in Hancock county, where he remained for a
few years. In 1857 he moved to Henderson county, then to Woodford
county, Illinois, where he remained some four or five years. He then
moved to Indiana, where his wife died in 1875, aged seventy-two years.
Since that time he has lived in Terre Haute. J. H. Magie, by this
marriage, has three children : Albert H., Lillie J. and Florence M.
He and wife are members of the Baptist church. He has, at various
times, been a member of different lodges. In addition to his farm he
has a nice town property.
Terre Haute Township, page 1285-1286
William H. Marsden is a native of Cheshire county, England.
He was born in 1837, and is a son of Thomas A. and Elizabeth
(Hardman) Marsden. In 1839 they came to America and located at
Dayton, Ohio, where they remained till 1814, when they came to
Henderson county, and returned to Dayton the following year. In
1867 they came again to Henderson county, and now live at Carman,
this county. His wife, Elizabeth, died soon after he located at Dayton
the first time. In Dayton he carried on a livery stable until 1865 when he engaged in the lumber trade. William H. was reared to the
vocation of farming, which he has always followed except three years;
during that time he was in the service. In 1862 he enlisted in the
army, in Co. B, 91st reg. Ill. Vols., and served three years. He
was in the following battles : Bacon Creek (Ky.), where he was taken
prisoner; Athafayla (Ga.), Spanish Fort, Blakely. Whistler and
Mobile, besides numerous skirmishes. He passed through the war
without receiving any injury. In 1859 he was married to Laurena J.
Volentine, of Ohio, born in 1835, daughter of Stephen and Mary
Volentine. Her father was a native of New York; her mother of
Connecticut. They came to Ohio in 1845, where her father died in
1879, aged seventy-five; her mother died in 1877, aged sixty years.
William H. Marsden, by this marriage, has nine children living :
Thomas W., Stephen H., Mary H., Ulyses L., John E., Isaac R.,
Louella, Lourinda V. and Ernest A. He has a fine farm of 3S0
acres, and keeps a good class of farm stock. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he of the masonic lodge
at Carman. William H. Marsden's grandfather, William Marsden,
located in township 8, range 5, where the widow Kirby now lives, and
opened a farm in the then wilderness. He was a native of England.
He died in 1864, in Hancock, at the age of seventy-four years.
Harry F. McAllister, the present efficient circuit clerk, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, April 27, 1840. His father was born near Philadelphia. He was of Scotch descent. For some time prior to and up to his death he was prothonotary of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. He died in 1849. His wife survives. She is also a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. H. F. McAllister received but a limited education, as his father died when Harry was yet young, leaving the family in meager circumstances. At the age of fourteen Harry began clerking in Rock Island, Illinois. He next spent three years in Milwaukee and vicinity, in making abstracts of titles, eminently fitted for such work by his efficiency in penmanship. In the spring of 1861 he came to Oquawka, but soon went to Geneseo, Illinois. He returned in the the fall to Oquawka, and became engaged in the circuit clerk's office. He continued as Mr. Hugh L. Thomson's deputy circuit clerk until 1868, when he was promoted to the circuit clerkship by the ballot of the people, and has been re-elected in 1872, 1876, and 1880. In 1866 he was appointed notary public; in 1872 master in chancery for Henderson county, by Judge A. A. Smith. In 2874 he was elected township treasurer, all of which offices he still fills with credit. For the past six years he has been a member of the republican state central committee. He is a member of the masonic fraternity. Mr. McAllister was married August 30, 1866, to Miss Esther, daughter of Christian and Sarah (Nye) Root, a native of New York State.
Biggsville Township, Page 1355-1356
JOHN McDILL (deceased), one of Henderson county's early pioneers, was born in Chester county, South Carolina, November 8, 1807. Early in life he removed with his parents, George and Margaret (Duglas) McDill to Newton county, Georgia, where they resided for many years. In 1835 Mr. McDill made a trip on horse to Illinois, prospecting with a view to settling in this new but growing country. Being favorably impressed with the land and advantages in Henderson county, the following year the family, consisting of his parents, brothers, Robert and James, sisters, Jane, Kerren H. and Nancy, and himself emigrated here and settled in T. 10, R. 5, where the parents lived till the time of their death. April 24, 1812, Mr. McDill was married to Miss Christen S. Gordon, who was born in North Carolina, January 21, 1815. Soon after his marriage he moved upon land he had purchased in Sec. 4, T. 10, R. 4. where he continued to reside till the spring of 1876. He then, with his daughter Nancy, went back to Georgia with a view to improving his already impaired health. For a time he apparently grew better, but in the spring of 1881 it became visible that his days were about numbered, and his son at Biggsville accordingly notified by telegraph. He at once went to his side to take care of him, and if possible return with him to his old home, which he did late in April; on May 9, 1881, he died. He was buried in the United Presbyterian church cemetery at South Henderson. His wife died December 12, 1864, and was buried in the same place. They had born to them one son, George, born in Henderson county, July 31, 1843. His educational advantages were confined to the common schools of this county's early history. Though he was reared on the farm, he was a boy of very delicate health. In 1865 his father purchased a stock of goods and engaged in merchandising in Biggsville, and George was called in soon after to take charge of the store. This he did but a short time, when ill health compelled him to return to the farm. In 1879 his father sold the farm and the son again turned his attention in a mercantile direction, first as a clerk, but in the spring of 1882, with Mr. A. W. Graham, embarked in a general mercantile business in Biggsville. December 17, 1868, he was united in marriage with Miss Amanda D. Bell, daughter of Mr. S. N. Bell, of Biggsville, a native of Georgia. She was born in 1849, and came with her parents to this county in 1855. They have one child living, Clara B. and Minnie (deceased). They are members of the United Presbyterian church.
Biggsville Township, Page 1356-1357
Prominent among those now living who had an early residence in Henderson county may be mentioned ROBERT MCDILL. Mr. McDill was born in Chester county, South Carolina, September 20, 1803. In 1809 his father and family removed to the State of Ohio, and settled in Preble county. He took an active part in the war of 1812, and died in 1813. His wife in 1845 removed to Bloomington, Indiana, where she died at the advanced age of ninety-seven years. Growing up in a new country as he did, Robert was favored with only a limited means of education, which, however, did not hinder his providing for himself a competency before being overtaken with old age. In 1825 he married Miss Mary Porter, a native of South Carolina, who was born in 1806. After his marriage Mr. McDill gave his entire attention to farming on the old home in Preble county in Ohio, till 1844, when he decided to remove to Henderson county, Illinois, a move he had contemplated since he was here on a prospective tour in 1835. After looking around a short time for a location he finally located on Sec. 25, T. 10, R. 5, and actively engaged in farming and stock raising. This he followed till 1868, when on account of the loss of vision he removed to Biggsville, where he might spend his declining years in rest and quiet. Of his ten children but six are living; two of his sons enlisted in the war for the union in the late rebellion, and suffered capture and imprisonment. Mr. McDill and his noble wife are, their great age being considered, enjoying a good degree of health. They are members of the United Presbyterian church. James C., the son of the family, was born in Preble county, Ohio, in 1830, and came with his parents to this county in 1844. His educational advantages were only fair, but they were well improved. He followed farming till 1866, when he went into the grain trade at Biggsville. Soon after he sold out here and went to Iowa, where he extensively engaged in the grain trade along the newly constructed line of the Burlington & Missouri railroad. In 1879 he permanently located in Biggsville and begun a mercantile business in the grocery, hardware and implement line. In 1853 he married Miss Elizabeth P. Pinkerton, a native of Preble county, Ohio. She died January I8, 1866.
John McFarland may be mentioned as among the early settlers now living and doing business in Oquawka, having come here in 1841. He was born at Mt. Vernon, Knox county, Ohio, March 20, 1828, and came with his parents, William and Nancy (Stelley) McFarland, to Oquawka, as above stated. His father was by trade a carpenter, and followed the business many years after his settlement here. John was married in August, 1855, to Miss Ella King, a daughter of Robert and Nancy (Hensley) King, of Oquawka. She was born in Milton, Trimble county, Kentucky, February 28, 1838, and was brought by her parents to Burlington, Iowa, the same year. In 1856 Mr. McFarland embarked in the lumber trade in this place, successfully following the business till the present. He has lately, to some extent, been turning his attention to farming, having bought a farm a short distance out of town. Mr. McFarland and wife are the parents of six children, four of whom are now living, as follows: Frank E., Harvey, Walter, and Maud. Mrs. McFarland is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. McFarland's parents are both dead and buried here.
William H. and Lucretia (Morris) Mills, lived in Dearborn county, Indiana, at the time of Myron Harding Mills' birth, which took place on the anniversary of the battle of New Orleans, January 8, 1839. The Millses are of English descent. His paternal great grandfather, Lemas Mills, served under Washington during the war of the revolution, and endured all the hardships of the pestilence and starvation at Valley Forge. His wife, Mary Heddin Mills, visited him in camp there, and ministered to the wants of the sick and perishing. Mr. Mills has in his possession some relics of those days, among them a pair of silver knee-buckles, which his great grandfather wore through the war, and a mortar and pestle, made from beech wood, which were used for pulverizing grain. His maternal grandfather, Amos Morris, was in the war of 1812. The father of Mr. Mills came to Henderson county in 1840, and settled on the bluff west of Rozetta, living in a hastily constructed cabin the first year. Young Myron attended school in a house near where Liberty school house now is, and grew up to manhood with about such an uneventful life as other boys who are raised on a farm; was married September 14, 1859, to Miss Sophia, daughter of Thomas Ellet, Esq., who settled in Greenville precinct in 1836. They have one child, a son, Charles, born January 13, 1836. Mr. Mills was in Co. K, 84th Ill. Vols., and won the rank of a lieutenant; was wounded in the head at Shiloh by a ball from the rifle of a sharp shooter. He is the junior member of the firm of Musgove & Mills, nurserymen and fruit growers, who do an extensive business; is a member of Kirkwood Post, G. A. R., No. 81, of I.O..O.F., and Masons.
Oquawka Township. Page. 130
William and Agnes (Petrie) Moir, natives of Forres, Scotland, emigrated to America in 1833. Their oldest son, Alexander, went to Demarara, in 1828, and came back to America, and in 1847 to Oquawka, Illinois, where he died September 21, 1858. Their sons William and James emigrated in 1831 and 1832, respectively, followed by their parents, as stated, in 1833, accompanied by the other brothers and sister, John, Robert, and Agnes. Their residence was made in New York city, where they became engaged in mercantile business. James came to Oquawka in 1843, William and Robert in 1847. For further notes on the Moirs we refer the reader to the history of Oquawka.
Honey Creek Township, Page 353
BEET MOORE is an Englishman by birth, having been born in Northamptonshire about 1826. His father was Samuel and his mother Sarah (Beach) Moore. His grandfather was John Moore. His maternal grandparents were George and Mary Beach. His parents came to American in 1830, stopped at Deerfield Corners, New York, from where they soon moved to the Black river country. From there they went to Michigan, where the father and mother lived and died, the father in 1864, the mother two years earlier. Mr. Moore came to Henderson county in march, 1853, settling in T.8, R. 6. He was married in 1859 to Mrs. Amelia Crane, a daughter of John and Temperance Curts. His wife died December 28, 1876. In 1860 he was in the Rocky Mountains engaged in mining and logging, and has since spent a year at Chippewa Falls. His home in on Sec. 2, T.8, R.6.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
Connie Lovitt Bates