Oquawka Township
Pages 104-106

John B. Patterson, of Oquawka, Illinois, was born in Virginia, January 11, 1806. His father, Thomas Patterson, was a native of Londonberry, Ireland, a finely educated gentleman, who was ardently devoted to the cause of education, and spent the greater portion of his life as a professor in different educational institutions in the State of Virginia. The subject of this sketch removed to Winchester when quite a boy. After receiving such education as he was able to acquire in the schools of the county of his residence, and undergoing the usual vicissitudes that fall to the lot of boys similiarly situated, he at the age of eighteen entered a printing office to learn the art of printing. After two years of experience, he took charge of the mechanical department of the "Winchester Virginia", a new democractic paper, and remained in this employ for one year. On January 11, 1827, he was united in marriage with Mahala Jane Norton, of Loudon county, Virginia. In April of the following year he started a new democratic paper, the "Leesburg Observer," adovcating the claims of Andrew Jackson to the presidency. This enterprise proved not to be a pecuniary success, and the paper was discontinued. In May, 1829, he went to the city ofWashington and commenced the publication of the "American Argus," which, after the issue of a few numbers, was discontinued for want of paying support. In March, 1832, he joined the advance guard of the grand army that was soon to follow, and set his face toward the great west, andarrived in Rock Island the following month. From this place he was invited to Galena to take charge of the "Galenian," a paper published at the time in the far famed lead mines of Illinois. His engagement was to continue for a few weeks or until the close of the Black Hawk war, then just begun. At Galena he joined Capt. Milton Waugh's company of Col.James Strode's regiment, and was by the colonel detailed as regimental printer (a new office) and served as a staff officer until the close ofthe war, and continued on the paper until October of that year. After closing his connection with this paper he returned to Rock Island, and entered the employment of Col. Davenport in his large mercantile establishment, who was also a member of the American Fur Company. He remained thus employed, and in keeping books for the Indian agent, Major Davenport. On the return of that renowned warrior and chief, Black Hawk and his party, from their celebrated tour of the great cities of the east, Mr. P., at the solicitation of Black Hawk, prepared, wrote and published his autobiography. He came to the Yellow Banks in the summerof 1834, and made arrangements to spend the fall and winter trading with the indians in the country west of the Mississippi. Going to Keokuk, Iowa, he was detained some six weeks, and while thus waiting he opened a school and taught ten scholars. This was the first school ever taught in Keokuk. In September he came up to the Yellow Banks, loaded a boat and started for the Forks of Skunk river, Iowa. Arriving there, he built a storehouse and remained trading with the Indians until April, 1835, when he came down the Skunk river on a rudely constructed raft, upon which he freighted his furs that he had collected in trade with the Indians. Arriving at the Mississippi river he found the ice solid, nor did it break up until the 7th of April. In 1836 the town of Oquawka was laid out, and Mr. Patterson opened in that town a general retail store and continued the business for many years. In February, 1848, he commenced the publication of the "Spectator," a weekly newspaper which he continues to manage and edit at the present time. In 1849 he admitted his son, E. H. N. Patterson, as associate editor and proprietor, the firm continuing until 1875, when his son went to Colorado and become editor of the "Georgetown Colorado Miner." The press on which the "Spectator" has been printed since its first advent, was the first press brought into Iowa, on which the Burlington "Gazette"was printed for some years, and is still a good press. Mr. Patterson held the office of Justice of the Peace while he resided in Rock Island in 1833. He also held a like office at the Yellow Banks, then in Warren county, in 1835; in 1838, postmaster at Oquawka; in 1837, was appointed brigade inspector and commissioned colonel. Col. Patterson is one ofthe oldest editors in the state, and few, if any, have had continuously unbroken editorial charge of one paper for so many consecutive years..He is now past his allotted three-score-and-ten years, and feels that he is now living on borrowed time. Still mentally and physically vigorous, he bids fair yet for a long time to remain to cheer his friends, with whom he has been so long and favorably known.


Honey Creek Township, Page 356
John Paul
was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, December 15, 1815. He is the son of Joseph and Sarah Paul, and is of Holland Dutch descent. His father was a miller, and young John worked at this business during his boyhood. In 1828 the family moved to Mahoning county, Ohio. He was married January 4, 1838, to Hannah, daughter of Basil and Rachel Perry, and immediately settled in Colmbiana county, Ohio. From here, in 1844, he came to Henderson county and settled on Sec. 34, T. & R.6. He is the father of five children, all boys: James, born July 28, 1840; Eli, born March 6, 1843; died September 27, 1846; Joseph L., born March 9, 1846; Basil Henry, born September 5, 1848; Thomas Morgan, born February 4, 1851. Mr. Paul has followed farming since his marriage. Basil Henry was married November 27, 1870 to Miss Nancy J. Logan, daughter of Judge John Logan. They are the parents of two children: Missie Ann, born June 5, 1873; Myra M., born November 2, 1876.


Olena Twp
John S. Peasley was born near Montreal, Canada, July 8, 1813. He was married March 20, 1844, to Lucretia Crownover, of Lomax, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Peasley have had six children, four of whom are still living: Charles, on the home farm; George and Frank, in Colorado; Mrs. Nathaniel Bruen, in T. 10, R. 5. Mr. Peasley came to Illinois early, although the precise year was not ascertained. He built the mill at Warren for Mr. Lambert Hopper, in 1842. He was very widely and favorable known.


Oquawka Twp
John A. Pence is a son of John and Elizabeth (Heaton) Pence, founder and builder of Pence's Fort, of historic note in Henderson county. He was born near Oquawka August 12, 1830, and is believed to be the first white child born within what are now the bounds of Henderson county. His earliest years were spent without the advantages of surroundings of the children of the present day. His playmates were the the children of the Indians, who shared with him their rude playthings as well as their mother's breasts. His educational advantages were extremely meager. In March, 1850, he went to California, where he remained till June, 1859, when he returned to his home in Oquawka. In 1861, when red handed treason and rebellion threatened his country, he volunteered his services in defense of the national flag, as a member of Co. D, 7th Mo. Cavalry. After eighteen months warfare, he was wounded and taken prisoner by Quantrell's band of guerillas, and was soon after paroled, first being sworn never to again take up arms against the confederate states. During his short term of service he filled the positions of action adjutant, post quartermaster, and lieutenant. December 19, 1862, he was married to Miss Mary A. Chapen, a daughter of Mr. Ebenezer and Catharine (Daggett) Chapen, who came to Henderson in 1839. They were formerly from Indiana and emigrated to Knox county, Illinois, in an early day. Mr. Pence has given much attention to the gathering and preserving of geological specimens, and has now in his possession of of the finest cabinets in the country.


Honey Creek Township, Page 351
John Pence,
the father of our sketch, was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, January 12, 1803. He was raised as a farmer and mechanic, and educated in the common schools. March 4, 1829, he married Miss Hannah Pence. In 1838 he removed to Illinois, landing at Shokokon June 2, and moved into a log cabin on Sec. 11, T.*, R.6. They were the parents of six children: Robert, Philip, Susan Ann, Harriet, Louisaand Anna Belle. Mr. Pence died April 12, 1860; Mrs. Pence died March 22, 1861. Robert Pence grew to manhood among the pioneers of the county, and was married December 11, 1862, to Miss Anna Howard, daughter of Thomas and Betty Howard. She was born in England, and while yet a mere child her parents came to America and settled in New york. They emigrated to Henderson county in 1856, where she was met and won by Robert Pence. They have ten children: James Robert, born January 25, 1864; Thomas Lee, born March 10, 1865; Estella May, born March 1, 1867; Philip Edward, born December 28, 1869; Charles Henry, born December 18, 1871; Harriet Ann, born November 13, 1873; Martha Jane, born August 16, 1875; Orville Foster, born August 4, 1877; Olive Blanche, born June 11, 1879; Harry Franklin, born January 25, 1882. Mr. Pence now resides on the old homestead.


Bedford Twp. pg. 264
W. H. Penny was born in Henderson county, and was married in 1860 to Miss Ellen Britt, who was born in New York. Georgie, Annie, Effie, Fannie, Lizzie, Gussie, Percie and Cosie are his children living. Eleven children were born to them; three not named are deceased. His father, George W. Penny, was born in Maryland in 1800, and is still living. He was a soldier during the Black Hawk war, during which he passed through the country in pursuit of the warriors under this illustrious chief. After the war was over he came back to Henderson county and bought what is now known as the Allen Voorhees farm. He was married about 45 years ago to Miss Mary A. Huston. They had eight children. Mr. and Mrs. Penny are living in Mayville, Maryland, at a good old age. He was a carpenter by trade, which he followed until he began farming in Henderson county. Before this he did not own a foot of land, but succeeded in accumulating several hundred acres of choice farm land. William H. Penny, our subject, is well known thoughout the county as a successful and enterprising farmer; his 400-acre farm shows evidences of skill and industry. Mr. Penny is a member of the masonic institution


Oquawka Twp.
Jacob C. Peterman, wagon and carriage maker, Oquawka, is the son of John and Catherine (Olewine) Peterman, and is a native of Washington county, Maryland. When he was about one year old his parents removed to Richland county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood and during his early life learned the trade he now follows. In 1850 he went with a company over the plains to California, and while there engaged in mining and working at his trade. He was also for a time employed as deputy sheriff in the collection of foreign tax. In 1856 he returned home, having made the enterprise a success. On June 30, 1857, he was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Mickey, a native of Ohio. The next day, July 1, they started for Illinois, arriving at Oquawka, July 7. Here he permanently located and began the business of his trade. They have six children living, John R., Charles M., Carrie G., Burton, George, and Jennie B. He and wife and eldest daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Oquawka Township
Hon. James Peterson, member of the state legislature, was born November 19, 1838, in New York City. His education was such as good public schools afford. The larger part of his knowledge is of that practical sort acquired by actual experience in business. His youth was mostly spent behind his father's counter. His father dying, James, at the age of fourteen years, in 1852, came to Oquawka and became a clerk in the store of the Moir Brothers, his uncles. After the death of James and William Moir, Mr. Peterson became a partner in the firm of Robert Moir & Co. He was for a number of years cashier of the Moir Bank. In 1875 he retired. His chief business since has been in loaning funds. Mr. Peterson has devoted a part of his life to public business. He was an alderman when Oquawka was under city government. He has taken an active part in educational affairs. In 1882 he was elected to the state legislature. Among his efforts in that honorable body was a bill to compel the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company to pay taxes on their bridge at Burlington. The bill passed the house but was defeated in the senate. Mr Peterson also directed the apportionment constituting his own senatorial as well as congressional district. Mr. Peterson is a staunch republican. He is also a prominent Mason, having been worshipful master ten terms. He was married in 1874 to Sadie, daughter of Dr. S. H. Ruple, of Oquawka, and a native of Washington, Pennsylvania. Their children are Genevieve, James, and Sadie. Mr. Peterson's parents, John P. and Agnes (Moir) Peterson, were both natives of Forres Scotland, and emigrated in early life to New York City. John P. Peterson had studied medicine ten years in the colleges of Edinburgh and Glasgow. He also spent one year as surgeon on a fleet to Greenland. He graduated an M.D. Upon coming to America he was so disgusted in finding that a drug clerk was allowed to practice medicine, or that so little attainment was required by the profession, that he abandoned his profession and embarked in the hardware merchandising in New York City. In about 1843 he located in Berlin, Wisconsin, in business, where he died in 1854, aged little more than fifty years. His wife survived, and came to Oquawka in April, 1852; but when visiting New York she succumbed to death, and was buried in Greenwood cemetery. In the family were five girls and one boy: Amelia, Agnes, Emma, Elizabeth, Georgiana, and James.


Oquawka Twp.
Eleazer Pogue, son of John and Jane (Welch) Pogue, was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, on December 7, 1813. On his mother's side his ancestry was Scotch, while his father was a native of Ireland. While on the passage over to America he was taken ill and was so near death that a shroud was prepared for him, ready for his death. Mr. Pogue passed his early life in the county of his birth, receiving a good practical education in the common schools. He was greatly blessed in the fact that his were thoroughly christian parents, his father having been an elder in the church of Seceders for many years, while all his mother's folks were Presbyterians in faith and practice. His father died in 1872 and his mother in 1874. The loving hands of his children have erected over his remains a beautiful monument, costing over $4600. Mr. Pogue emigrated to Warren county, Illinois, in 1838, and then to Henderson county. He was married to Amelia Paden in May 1836, in Franklin county, Pennsylvania. Of this marriage seven children were born, two of whom are still living. John W. is now married and resides at Red Oak, Iowa, where is now engaged in farming; Elizabeth, the younger of the two living children of this marriage, is the wife of John Terrill, a farmer of Keokuk county, Iowa. In January of 1849 Mr. Pogue was bereaved of his wife, and in the following May he married Miss Ann McDermit. To them have been born seven boys and three girls. Four of the sons and all of the daughters are now (1882) living. George W. and James B. are now engaged in farming Red Oak, Iowa; Smiley E. is now farming near Gladstone; Leander W. is at home with his parents; two of his daughters, Jennie S. and Mary A., are engaged in teaching school, the former in Red Oak, Iowa, and latter in Gladstone, Illinois; the youngest, Emily M., is now at home with her parents. In his family relations Mr. Pogue has been greatly blessed. Though he began life with nothing and has met with some severe misfortunes, yet he has now some 400 acres of land, party lying in township 10, range 5, and part in township 11, range 5.


Olena Twp
Ira Putney, Jr., adopted son of Ira Putney, Sr., and Sarah Copp, was born at Steansted, Province of Quebec, June 16, 1840. When he was four years of age his father removed to Bloomington, McLean county, Illinois. During the residence of the family at this place and at Burlington, Iowa, whither they had moved, Ira passed his time at school, completing the high school course of the Burlington school at the age of thirteen. A year later the family removed to Olena, Henderson county, where the father bought the business of Marks & Porter, general merchants. Father and son continued together until October, 1861, when the son enlisted at Cairo, in Co. E. 10th Ill. Inf., Capt. C. F. Cowan. He was assigned duty in the quartermaster's department, under Quartermaster J. Pyatt, now of Jacksonville, Illinois. He followed the fortunes of the army in its course through Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, and Alabama, until after the capture of Atlanta. He was mustered out, October, 1864, at East Point, Georgia. Although in the quartermaster's department, Mr. Putney did not escape hard service, remembering very vividly serving rations under severe fire before Atlanta. Returning to Olena, he re-entered business with his father. In 1865 the firm of Putney and Son was followed by Putney & Curry, the elder Putney retiring and giving place to George Curry. Mr. Putney and Mr. Curry were associated in business most of the time until 1876, when Mr. Curry retired, leaving the entire business in Mr. Putney's hands. In 1877 an unfortunate investment forced Mr. Putney to the wall, being followed by Mr. J. H. Stevens. After farming for five years he again opened a store, where he still offers for sale a general stock of groceries, dry goods, and boots and shoes. Two years previous to entering the army, in June 1859, Mr. Putney was united in marriage to Azubah A. Haislett. Of their six children, they have buried one, the eldest. Mr. Putney belongs to the Freemasons fraternity. He is a zealous republican, and has done his party yeoman's service in the community where he lives. He has at various times been postmaster, which position he now holds.


All Rights Reserved 

Copyright 2003

Connie Lovitt Bates