1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois Knox County Biographies
Kathy Mills, who lives right now in Texas, typed this up and emailed it to me via the net. Thanks so Much Kathy!!! I really
appreciate all the time and trouble you've taken to help me out on my new venture on my Knox County, Illinois Web Site. What I do not appreciate is another Genealogy site putting this online under their byline without credit where credit is due. not savvy in my book...
These biographies were typed by Kathy Mills & Foxie Anderson Hagerty if u by chance see them on another web site they are reproduced without giving proper credit where it is due. thank you! We worked long & hard to get these online & I like giving credit where credit is due. surprisingly others do not feel the same. Thank you & enjoy.
Have a Great Day.!!
Click on appropriate link below
1899 Index beginning with A
1899 index beginning with E
1899 Index beginning with L = R
1899 Index beginning with S--Z
Have a good one everyone and Happy Happy Gene Hunting
Farmer; Elba Township; born in Lawrence County, Illinois, August 5, 1833; educated in the common schools. His father was Samuel Adams of Tennessee, and his mother was Elizabeth Chenowith Adams of Kentucky; his maternal grandparents were Absalom and Duval Chenowith. Mr. Adams was married in Lawrence County, December 1, 1859, to Matilda Bardon. She was born May 15, 1833, and was the daughter of John and Nancy (Melton) Bardon, now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Adams children are: Charles Francis (adopted), born June 18,1860; James Wesley, born October 3, 1860; Fanny Jane, born March 7, 1863; Samuel Winfield, born March 12, 1868. Mr. Adams has a large and productive stock farm of two hundred and eighty acres in Section 20. His is a democrat, and was Road Commissioner for eighteen years, Constable for six years, and Assessor for two terms. He is a member of Germania Lodge, No. 448, Yates City. His Father was Colonel in the Black Hawk War. Samuel W. Adams was married to Kittie Wilson. They have two children, Forest Glenn and James Alvin.
Alexander Frank Adams
Farmer, Sparta Township; born in Henderson Township, Knox County, March 7, 1842; educated in common schools. His parents were James Adams, of North Carolina, and Sarah (Miller) Adams of Indiana. He was married in Lewis County, New York, to Elizabeth Woolworth. Their children are, Birney H. and Fred C. His parents settled in Rio Township in 1841, and entered Government land in the Military Tract and paid for it twice. The father was a successful farmer and died on the homestead July 1, 1879, aged seventy-three years; the mother died in 1846, aged forty-five years. The father was three times married. He was a republican. In religion he was a Methodist. The children by the first marriage are: Wilson, Caroline, William, John, Lucinda, Alexander Frank, Phelps and Sarah Adams; the children by his marriage with Melba Haynes are: James, Lida and Julia. Mr. Alexander F. Adams has a fine farm of one hundred acres, and is a successful farmer. He paid $60 an acre for his land, which was entered by his uncle Ruben Robbins in 1837. Mr. Adams belongs to the church of the Second Adventists. In politics he is a republican.
Farmer, Elba Township; born December 08, 1843, in Franklin County, Ohio; educated in the common schools. finish tonight.
Farmer; Rio Township; born in Indiana, September 22, 1834; educated in Illinois; his parents were James and Sarah (Miller) Adams, of North Carolina. He was married to Sarelda J. Rusk in Knox County, March 6, 1856 [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Wilson Adams marrying a Sarilda J. Rusk in Knox County on February 28, 1856]. Their children are: Rosa G., Henry M., Ida R., Eddie A., E. Otis, Sarah A., and Clyde W. Theron died in infancy. Mr. Adams is a member of the Methodist Church. In politics, he is a democrat. He has held the office of Road Commissioner.
Farmer; Persifer township; born in Sweden in 1844, where he was educated. His parents were Andrew and Mary Olson Anderson, of Sweden. He was married December, 1889, in Marshall county, Illinois, to Elizabeth Carr, daughter of Edwin and Catherine Foster Carr, of Ohio. Their children are: Christine Mable and Paul E. Mr. Anderson came from Sweden in 1869 and began as a farm hand near Knoxville, Illinois. With his earnings he bought a farm in 1888, and by energy and economy established himself near Dahinda and became a prosperous farmer. Mr. Anderson was a member of the Lutheran Church. In politics, he was a republican. He died July 24, 1899.
Captain George W. Reynolds was born in Milton, Massachusetts July 15, 1826. He is the son of George F. and Abigail (Locke) Reynolds, who were natives of New Hampshire—the father having been born at Harrington, in 1799; the mother in the same town, in 1804. They had a family of four children: George W.; Charles C.; John W.; and Julia A. They came to Illinois in June 1835 when George was only nine years old, and settled for a short time in Tazewell County. They came to Knox County in 1836, settling on a farm in Victoria Township, which has been known for nearly two full generations as the “Reynolds Farm”. Here the father lived, and died at a ripe old age, reaching within seven years of the century mark. He was Victoria’s first Postmaster; was Justice of the Peace for many years; and was one of the first organizers of the town, which stands mostly on his land.
Captain Reynolds’ early school advantages were not at all satisfactory. He remained on the home farm until 1853, attending the district school as much as his farm duties would permit. Schools throughout the State had not then been organized, and here and there, the little log school house stood as the precursor of the better structures of today. The school was three miles distant, and George availed himself of all the instruction that the little log cabin afforded. At the age of eighteen he attended Knox Academy for one year, paying his board by working nights and mornings, and Saturdays. He then returned to the old homestead, remaining until 1847, when he took a trip to the New England States. In the Spring of 1848, he returned to Illinois and took his father’s farm on shares until 1854. His next adventure was to California by the overland route, in search of gold. After remaining there for two years, he returned by the way of Panama and New Orleans, and settled on the farm which he subsequently purchased, and where he now lives.
Captain Reynolds is imbued with a good degree of patriotism and served his country faithfully during the late Rebellion. In 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Eighty-third Illinois Volunteers and was chosen Captain. He served through the war and was mustered out in June 1865. He returned to his home in Victoria, receiving the plaudits of his fellow townsmen for his meritorious service. He then engaged in farming and stock-raising.
Captain Reynolds has always had the confidence of his neighbors, and the citizens generally. He was elected Town Clerk for several years, was Township Treasurer of the School Fund for about ten years, and has been School Director for a long time. The village of Victoria was organized in 1887, since which time he has been Village Treasurer. In religious belief, he is a Congregationalist, and has always done active work for the church. In politics, he is a true republican, believing thoroughly in republican measures and principles.
Captain Reynolds has been twice married. His first wife was Mary C. Hotchkiss, a native of New York. They were married in February 1849, and the union was blessed with one son, Lewis M., born October 26, 1849. Mrs. Reynolds died in 1858, and a second marriage took place in 1859, to Elizabeth Swickard, a native of Wayne County, Ohio: they have one daughter, Jennie M., born November 1, 1868, and now the wife of James McMaster. Mr. and Mrs. McMaster have one daughter, Ethelyne, born in 1896.
Merchant (retired); Victoria Township; born June 10, 1811, in Otsego County, New York. His father was Philip Becker; his grandfather, Jacob Becker, came from Germany, and was a soldier in the Revolution. Mr. Becker was educated in the common schools. He was married in Victoria, October 12, 1845, to Mary J. Smith, daughter of an 1839 settler of Victoria, and a sister of Judge A. A. Smith, of Galesburg. Their children are: Hannah, Emma, Ella, Carrie, and Sue L. Mr. Becker came to Victoria in 1844, and was a merchant for twenty years. He moved to Galesburg, where he was prominent in banking circles, and was Alderman of the Third Ward. In 1892, he returned to Victoria Township, and settled on a farm which he owned in 1845. In religion, Mr. Becker was a Methodist. He was a republican.
John Junk was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, May 6, 1827. His parents were James and Elizabeth (Lincoln) Junk of Pennsylvania. James Junk died in Fayette County July 3, 1877, previous to which he had celebrated his golden wedding. He was the oldest of seven children, the others being: Samuel, Thomas, Sarah, Henry, Robert, and Jackson. John Junk’s paternal grandparents were John Junk of New Jersey, and Sarah (Preston) Junk of Pennsylvania; his maternal grandparents were Benjamin Lincoln, who was born near Baltimore, and was a second cousin of Abraham Lincoln; and Elizabeth (Bates) Lincoln.
John Junk was educated in a log school house in Fayette County, and later apprenticed to learn the trades of carpenter and joiner, and millwright, devoting three years to the former and two years to the latter. He came to Knox County in May 1855 and, having previously known Dr. Joseph Henderson, he settled near him in Henderson Township. The first application of his trade in the county was the building of a barn for Governor William McMurtry, after which he built a school house in District No. 1. While thus engaged, he boarded with Mrs. Ebenezer (Robertson) Westfall. November 22, 1855 he was married in Knoxville, Illinois to Elizabeth, daughter of Alexander and Narcissa (Ferguson) Robertson. Mr. Robertson served in the Black Hawk War. He and his brother, Daniel Robertson, came to Henderson Township in February 1828. Alexander Robertson died February 28, 1848. His daughter Elizabeth was born in Henderson Township December 14, 1837.
During the Fall of 1855, Mr. John Junk bought eighty acres of land and began farming. He was very successful, and, after a few years, went to the old home of his wife and bought out the other heirs, securing a farm of four hundred and thirty acres, where he now resides.
Mr. and Mrs. Junk are the parents of two children, Stephen A., who died at the age of four years; and Alexander Robertson.
In politics, Mr. Junk is a democrat, and has held many important offices. In 1871, he was elected Supervisor, serving four years, and was again Supervisor in 1906. He was Justice of the Peace for eight years, and Road Commissioner for three years; he also served as Assessor. He is a member of Hiram Lodge, No. 26, Masonic fraternity.
James Champion McMurtry, son of William and Ruth (Champion) McMurtry, was born in Crawford County, Indiana, February 3, 1829. He belongs to a noted family, whose descent is from the French Huguenots. His great-grandfather, John McMurtry, had a large family of children, five of whom were killed in the Revolution, at the battle of Cowpens.
The McMurtry family came to Knox County, November 1, 1829, and settled in Henderson Township. The family consisted of the grandfather, James McMurtry, his two sons, William and James, their wives, and the children of William—Mary and James C. The following families, whose names will always be associated with Knox County, were already settled in the neighborhood: Daniel and Alexander Robinson, and Riggs Pennington, of whom William and James McMurtry bought their farm of one hundred and sixty acres, on which was a small log cabin. On this farm, the people of the whole neighborhood assisted in building a block house or stockade, which afforded protection against the incursions of the Indians. At different times before, during and after the Black Hawk War, about twenty-five families were gathered here. During the war, William McMurtry organized a company of Rangers of about eighty-nine, which embraced nearly all that were fit for service in Knox, Warren, and Mercer counties. They were all mounted, each man furnishing his own rifle and horse. They pursued the Indians in all directions but were never engaged in battle.
His grandfather, James McMurtry, was one of thirteen children, and was born in Tennessee. His maternal grandfather was of Irish descent, and was born on the “Emerald Isle’. James McMurtry died in 1854, at the advanced age of nearly ninety.
His father, William McMurtry, was one of the most remarkable men of his time. He was strong intellectually, was a thorough student of human nature, and was an adept in the art of leading and controlling men. He was born in Tennessee, and married Ruth Champion, a native of Kentucky. He was a State Senator for many years. In 1848, he was elected Lieutenant Governor of Illinois on the same ticket with Governor French. He was captain of a company in the Black Hawk War and Colonel of the Sixty-seventh Regiment of Militia of Illinois. During the Civil War, he was chosen Colonel of the One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and after serving a short time in Kentucky, he became ill and was honorably discharged.
In 1846, he became a member of the Masonic Order, joining the Hiram Lodge in Henderson and the Horeb Chapter in Henderson. He was the Grand Treasurer of the Grand Lodge and Chapter for fourteen years. He was one of the first three County School Commissioners of Knox County and has held the office several times since.
Governor McMurtry was an uncompromising democrat, and a particular friend of Stephen A. Douglas. He was early instructed in the democratic ritual by his father and grandfather. He was one of the most conspicuous political figures in Illinois, and on account of his tenacity of opinion and firm adherence to democratic principles, he was regarded as a “wheel horse” in his party.
The natural powers of Governor McMurtry were great. He was a great reader and had a well stored mind. He was entertaining and agreeable in conversation, a good neighbor and constant friend. He performed the duties of citizenship faithfully, and was regarded by everyone as a conscientious and upright citizen.
Dr. James C. McMurtry received his education in the common schools. Later, he was a student in Knox College, and in Union College, Schenectady, New York. He took his degree in medicine at the Rush Medical College in Chicago. After graduation, he returned to Knox County, and has practiced medicine here ever since.
In early life, Dr. McMurtry embraced the political faith of his father. He was a democrat until the breaking out of the Civil War. He cast his first republican vote for Abraham Lincoln’s re-election. Since that time he has been a firm adherent to republican principles, and his voice is often heard in the council hall of the republican party. He is regarded as an influential party man, and is a party leader in local and State politics. He helped form the Union League in Henderson Township and was elected its first president. He has been offered many official positions in the party, which he has declined. He says that “during the war, his life was threatened many times by members of the Golden Circle; but his good nerve, judgment, and reputation as a good fencer, and ‘dead shot’, did much to prevent disorder in Knox County.” The doctor is a superior athlete, and has exhibited his strength and nerve on many occasions.
Dr. McMurtry possesses many of the characteristics of his father. He is noted for the honesty of his convictions, his clear-sightedness of obligation and duty, and his moral courage in maintaining the right. In manner, he is not finical or affected, and in his speech, he is straightforward and plain. He is liberal in his views, charitable towards all, given to hospitality, and has lived a life full of good deeds.
Dr. McMurtry was married June 9, 1855 to Caroline Nelson, of Warren County. She is the daughter of Andrew Nelson, who, at the time of marriage, was a merchant in Henderson. To Dr. and Mrs. McMurtry were born five children: James W., Franklin Hl, Susan H., Caroline and Mary. Franklin H. died at the age of five.
Alanson G. Charles is a native of Knox Township, and was born February 21, 1846. His parents were George A. and Dorlinsky (Post) Charles, natives of the State of New York. George A., the father, was a man of great natural ability. With an unerring judgment and quick perceptions, his opinions always carried with them the weight of conviction. He was kind and generous, and was beloved by all who knew him.
Alanson G. resembles his father in features and complexion, and the law of heredity is fully exemplified in his generous spirit and benevolent disposition. He is a sturdy, thrifty farmer, and is the owner of twelve hundred acres of beautiful rolling prairie land, in one solid body, with a commodious dwelling in the midst. Near by, are three hundred and twenty acres more, which may serve for tillage or pasture land, as the husbandman may think best. Mr. Charles’ farm seems to be an ideal one. As one steps upon it, the first impression is extent, magnitude. It is beautifully situated, and from the windows of his homestead, may be seen the spires and belfry towers of the city of Knoxville. Plenty seems to have its home here, as the abundant crops and the fine stock of horses, cattle, and swine attest.
Mr. Charles has been a resident of the county from the day of his birth. He has no desire for a better country or a better home. He has lived in peace and quietude, and has never sought position or place. He rather dislikes office, but has, now and then, accepted it at the urgent importunities of friends. For four terms he was elected Supervisor, which office he filled with great credit. For twelve years he has discharged the duties of Treasurer of Knox County Agricultural Board, and still holds that office. At present he is President of Knox County Farmer’s Institute, which was organized in 1891.
As a man, Mr. Charles is well informed and is thoroughly posted in his business relations. He is reserved, never opinionated, and is able to give an intelligent statement on all subjects coming within the scope of his knowledge. He is a good neighbor, a lover of friends, and is given to hospitality. In politics, he is a democrat, but not an extreme partisan. He sees good and evil in all parties; but his honesty forbids his screening the acts of evildoers. He believes that the perpetuity of republican institutions depends upon men of integrity and ability in office instead of strictly party men without these qualifications.
Both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church, and according to the principles therein inculcated, they have lived upright, Christian lives.
Mr. Charles was united in marriage November 24, 1868 to Lottie Rogers, daughter of Charles and Eliza (Phillips) Rogers. Charles Rogers was a native of Connecticut; and his wife, Eliza, of England. They settled in Knox Township in 1844, where Mrs. Charles was born January 31, 1848.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles have been blessed with six children: George, Albert, Roger, John H., Alice, and Bessie. Albert and Roger are deceased.
Thomas Lee Gilbert, son of Thomas and Annis (Dibble) Gilbert, was born in Oneida County, New York March 17, 1830. His father was a farmer, and it was on the farm that the son received his first lessons in industry and thrift that have opened to him the pathway of success.
Thomas Gilbert, the father, went with his father’s family to Oneida County, New York when he was only six years of age. He lived there, working on a farm, until he had grown to manhood. He then went to Ogdensburg, New York, and engaged in the mercantile business, until the War of 1812. He enlisted, and was wounded when Ogdensburg was taken by the British. After the close of the war, he went to the headwaters of the Mississippi, as a trader with the Indians. After returning from the Northwest, he lived in Oneida County until the Spring of 1834. He then went west again, in order to select a location for a permanent home. He traveled on horseback over the State of Illinois, and studied the merits and demerits of every portion. He preferred the country between the Illinois and Mississippi rivers; but the land was not then in the market and he returned to New York.
In the Spring of 1835, he was selected as one of a committee to find a suitable location in Illinois for a colony. This committee was composed of Thomas Gilbert, Nehemiah West, and Timothy Jarvis. A letter of instructions, written by the Rev. George W. Gale, was given them, which Mr. Gilbert carried in his pocket through the entire trip. The original letter is preserved in the archives of Knox College, from which the following interesting items are transcribed:
“First, Health. This may be regarded as a sine qua non. Under this head, the following indications are to be specially noticed: 1. The quality of the water in wells and springs.
The sixth article has reference to hydraulic power, mills, and machinery; the seventh, to canals and navigable streams; the eighth, to state of population and prospect of increase. The main drift of the instructions was to select a healthy location. The letter is dated May 10, 1835, and is directed to Messrs. Gilbert, West, and Jarvis.
During this trip, Mr. Gilbert, the father, entered a half section of land in Orange Township, and also bought an adjoining claim on which was an unfinished log cabin. He then returned to New York for his family. He went to Chicago and tried to sell his horse, saddle, and bridle for the eighty dollars which he paid. He could not get that price, but instead, was offered forty acres of land, which is now the center of Chicago. The land was refused, and at last, his outfit was sold for sixty dollars. He then took a boat at Chicago around the lakes to Buffalo, then by lake to Cleveland, then by canal to Portsmouth on the Ohio River, then by the Ohio, Mississippi, and Illinois rivers to Copperas Creek Landing, and then by team to Knoxville, reaching that place November 25, 1835. He lived on his farm until 1865, when he sold out and moved to Knoxville where he died in 1872.
Thomas L. Gilbert has lived a busy life. He has earned not only a competence, but the respect and good-will of his fellow citizens. His ambition has been to shun the wrong, and to demand nothing but what is right. His life is an example of good deeds done and is worthy of imitation. In his business relations, he has ever been just and honest, and has never claimed anything but his own. He came into Knox County when only a child, and here has been his home ever since. In youth, he assisted on the farm, attending school as opportunity presented. At the date of his marriage, he settled on a farm in Orange Township, remaining there until the Spring of 1866. He then rented his farm and removed to Knoxville, where he was engaged in the grocery and live stock business until 1868. He next purchased an interest in a hardware store, which claimed his attention until 1871. In 1873, he engaged in the lumber business, which he continued for nearly twenty years. At present he is dealing in real estate.
The early educational advantages of Mr. Gilbert were such as are incident to a new country. To acquire a thorough business education, he improved every opportunity presented. He attended school each winter season until the Fall of 1850, when he entered Knox Academy at Galesburg. He is a well-informed and cultivated man, and shows that he has studied the book of experience with a high purpose and a noble aim.
In politics, Mr. Gilbert is a republican, having been connected with that party from its organization. In religion, he is a Presbyterian; both he and his wife being members of that church. He was united in wedlock April 24, 1856 to Harriet T. Hebard, the daughter of Benjamin and Eliza (Clisbee) Hebard, natives of Ohio. They have but one child, a daughter, Effie, who resides with them in Knoxville.
Farmer; Knox Township; born December 2, 1866, on the old homestead; educated in the common schools. His parents, Harvey and Eliza (Maxwell) Montgomery, were born in Knox County; the former was born January 14, 1834, being the oldest citizen in Knox Township who was born there. They married in Henderson Township November 15, 1864; they have three children: Sarah J., John and Henry. Sarah J. married John G. Hayes, of Knox Township; they have one son, Harry M. Henry married Mary E. Bowers; they have one daughter living, Jennie. Harvey Montgomery was fifth in a family of seven children of John and Margaret (Vaughn) Montgomery, who were born in Kentucky, the former in Nelson, and the latter in Barren County. May 10, 1830, John Montgomery came to Knox County and in 1832 settled on the farm which his grandson now owns. The paternal great-grandfather, Robert Montgomery, was a native of Scotland. The maternal grandparents, Henry Vaughn and Jane Bell, were born in Kentucky. March 2, 1892, Mr. Montgomery was married in Galesburg Township to Grace J. Dunlap; they have one child, Marie G. Mrs. Montgomery’s father, Thomas Dunlap, was born in Flemingsburgh, Kentucky in 1816, and came to Illinois when a boy. He was married to Cornelia Anderson, of New York. They were deaf mutes. They had eight children: Edwin, Caroline, Hattie, Eva E., Sarah, Clara, Grace J., and Cornelia. Mr. Dunlap died April 15, 1890; his widow is still living. The ancestry of the family is Scotch and English. In politics, Mr. Montgomery is a democrat.
Farmer; Knox Township; born in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, November 10, 1852; educated in the district schools. November 15, 1876, Mr. Neeley was married in Knoxville to Ida A. Metcalf; they have had one daughter, Harriett Maude. Mrs. Neeley’s father, Almanson Metcalf, was born in Fairview, Cattaraugus County, New York, April 12, 1823, and married Harriet M. Beech in Knox Township September 1, 1855. Mrs. Neeley was their only child. Mr. Metcalf was a republican. He was a prominent Mason of Knoxville, Lodge No. 400, A. F. and A. M.
Mr. and Mrs. Neeley are members of the Presbyterian Church in Knoxville. He is a republican.
Contractor and Builder; Knox Township; born March 15, 1858, in Knox County, Illinois; educated in the common schools. The ancestry of the family is Scotch and Dutch on the paternal side, on the maternal side, German and English. Mr. Parkins’ father, Leven A. Parkins, was a native of Virginia, while his mother, Martha (Maxey), was born in Kentucky; they had eleven children, (six are listed): Byron, Hiram F., James M., Charles, Almon E., and Annie, who married to Julius Newton. Mr. Parkins’ father died in July 1876, but his mother is still living. Mr. Parkins’ paternal grandfather, James Madison Parkins, who married Miss Haptonstall, was born in Virginia. Mr. Parkins married his first wife, Ida McDaniel in Galesburg January 13, 1880; they had two children: Frederick, born October 11, 1882; and Sarah I. Mrs. Parkins died September 17, 1896. May 7, 1898, Mr. Parkins was married in East Galesburg to Mrs. Laura B. (Clutts) Jeffries, who had one son, Chester, by her first marriage. Mrs. Parkins’ father, Robert Clutts, was born in Ohio, September 12, 1838, and was married to Pricey Shelton, a native of Kentucky. They had three children: Mary E., Charles, and Laura B. Mr. Clutts died in 1876, but Mrs. Clutts is still living. Mr. Parkins is a member of Hazel Lodge, No. 378, Knights of Pythias, of East Galesburg, also of East Galesburg Camp, No 3426, Modern Woodmen of America. Mrs. Parkins is a member of Rathbone Marguerite Temple of Galesburg, Illinois. In religion, Mr. Parkins belongs to the United Brethren. In politics he is a republican, and for three years held the office of Alderman.
Knoxville; born in Knox County, April 30, 1849; educated in the public schools. His father, James W. Peckenpaugh, was born in Indiana; his mother Mary (Chaney), was born in Ohio. His paternal grandparents, Solomon and Rachel H. (Williams) Peckenpaugh, his maternal grandfather, Ezekiel Chaney, were born in Kentucky. His paternal great-grandparents were Peter Peckenpaugh and Meally (Abbott). The former of Pennsylvania, October 9, 1872, Mr. Peckenpaugh was married in Knoxville to Mary J. Brown; she was a daughter of John Brown, born in Ohio, December 28, 1828, and Johanna (Stenson), a native of Sweden. Mrs. Peckenpaugh lost her father August 30, 1854, and her mother September 28, 1892. Her ancestry was English and Swedish. Mr. and Mrs. Peckenpaugh have four children: Arthur B., Harriet E., John F., and Clarence W. Arthur B. married Alice Lawrence July 10, 1895; they have one son Lawrence A. Harriet E. married Lee Chalmer Wilson, of Knoxville, October 6, 1898. Mr. and Mrs. Peckenpaugh are members of the Eastern Star of Knoxville, Faith Chapter Number 169; Mrs. Peckenpaugh has held the office of Worthy Matron. Mr. Peckenpaugh is a member of Pacific Lodge of Knoxville, No. 66, A. F. and A. M., also of Illinois Council Number 1, R. S. M. Mr. Peckenpaugh is in the tubular well and wind mill business. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is a republican in politics, and has held the office of Alderman, and is a member of the School Board.
Ellenor (now Mrs. S. S. Soper of Wataga), who places a portrait in this volume in memory of her father, was born in Henderson Township, Knox County, May 3, 1839. She received her education in a district school, and always lived on a farm. She was first married to David Temple, and had one child, Thomas F. She was married to Mr. Soper, in Henderson Township, in October, 1861. They have five children: George T., Mary E., Septimus S., Edward D. and Nettie May. Thomas F. is a farmer in Boone County, Iowa; George T. is a farmer in Clark County, Missouri; Mary E. is Mrs. Mary E. Russell, of Wataga, Knox County, Illinois; Septimus S. is in the Klondike gold fields; Edward D. is a farmer near Wataga, and Nettie M. is Mrs. Nettie May Jacobson.
Mr. Thomas C. Duval came to Illinois in 1835, settling first in
Warren County, near Robinson's Point, and removing to Henderson
Township, Knox County, in 1836. He brought to Illinois his wife, six
children and one hundred dollars in money. He invested the money in
land in Henderson Township, and his industry and good management
insured success. When corn sold for a dollar a bushel he invested the
proceeds in land, and, in 1869, owned about two thousand acres in
Sparta and Henderson townships. In politics, Mr. Duval was a
republican, and he was a member of the Christian Church. He was a
good and an upright citizen, ever ready to help others with money as
well as advice. He was especially lenient to his tenants, sometimes
giving them a second chance if crops failed, and in one case at least,
aiding a tenant who was unable to pay his rent, to weather the storm
and finally secure a farm of his own. Mr. Duval was kind-hearted and
true, a kind father, a good neighbor, a man whose place could not
easily be filled. His death occurred in Wataga, September 25, 1890.
Leroy Joseph Baird - Banker and Real Estate Dealer, Williamsfield; born in Elba Township, Knox County, Illinois, December 16, 1857. His parents were William H. and Elizabeth Jane (Farwell) Baird, born in Clinton County, Pennsylvania. His paternal grandparents were Benjamin Baird of Pennsylvania, and Ellen (Summerson) Baird of England. Mr. L. J. Baird was reared on his father's farm and educated in the common schools and at Hedding College, Abingdon. In 1880, he bought a farm which he managed for several years, finally leaving it in 1890 to engage in the banking and real estate business at Williamsfield, which is his present occupation. Mr. Baird was married at Yates City, October 21, 1883, to Mary H. Parker. They had two children, Ellen Elizabeth and Earl Melville. Mr. Baird's second marriage was with Hannah A. Elliot at Williamsfield, July 30, 1895. They have had one child, Russell Elliott. In politics, Mr. Baird is an independent Democrat. pg 888
; Farmer; Indian Point township; born in Jackson county, Ohio, December
30, 1821; educated in the common schools. He came to Indian Point with
his father, John Shumaker, in 1837, and the family has been one of the
most prominent and successful of that locality. In 1848, Mr. Shumaker
married Mary A. Lowrey; they have three children; Charles, who married
Elinor, daughter of Samuel Davis; William, who married Hattie, daughter
of Dr. Reece; and Leonard, who married Clara Moss. Charles has one son,
James H. Leonard has one son, Clarence C.
Milton Stegall; Farmer; Indian Point township; born in Cedar Township, Knox county, Illinois, May 21, 1851; educated in the common schools. His parents were Frederick and Lovina Marks Stegall; the former came to Knox County in 1836 and settled in Cedar Township about 1840, and died there in October, 1896. There were four children;: Milton, Elery, Sarah, and Emma J. His paternal grandfather was also Frederick Stegall. November 27, 1879, Mr. Stegall was married to Amanda Fernow in Knoxville, They have two children: Asa and Emery. After his marriage Mr. Stegall began farming in Cedar Township, and in 1887, he bought a farm in Indian Point Township, where he now lives. In Politics, Mr. Stegall is a democrat. Foxie's Note: Father's biography is above.
Stegall, Elery; Farmer Cedar township, where he was born February 13, 1866; educated in the common schools. His parents were Frederick and Lovina Marks Stegall. Frederick Stegall settled in Knox County in 1836, and died in 1896, leaving , beside his widow, two sons and two daughters. March 04, 1889, in Galesburg, Elery Stegall was married to Mary Kennedy. They have three children; Frederick, Mary A., and Margaret B. Mrs. Stegall is a daughter of Jerry Kennedy, who came from Ireland to this country in 1865. Mr. Stegall is one of the substantial men of his town. In religion, he is a Protestant. He is a democrat.1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois Knox County
Smith, Charles Newton; Engineer; Galesburg; born June 24, 1855, in Pennsylvania, where he was educated. His parents were Jeremiah and Catherine E. Miller Smith, of Pennsylvania, the latter of Reading; his grandfather, Jacob Smith, and his great-grandparents were also natives of Pennsylvania. He was married in Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, September 16, 1878, to Isabella, daughter of Anthony Bets, of Germany, and Mary Jane Brown Betz, of Pennsylvania. Mr. Betz came to Tamaqua from Germany at the age of nine years. He was superintendent of a coal mine till his death at the age of forty-four years. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have four children, Jerry, Laura Jane, Robert Henry, and Edward Newton. Mr. Smith's father was one of the first locomotive engineers in Pennsylvania, and followed the business stile he retired of old age. He now lives at Tamaqua, Pa. his wife died in 1895. At the age of fourteen, Mr. C. N Smith began to work in a rolling mill, and when eighteen years old, began as brakeman on the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad. After being conductor for two years he began as fireman on the same road, and after three years, became and extra engineer. He left during the Strike of 1887, but began running an engine on the C B & Q R. R. in March, 1888, which position he still holds. During his entire railroad service, Mr. Smith has lost but two weeks' time. By economy, he and his wife have built their home on East South street, Galesburg. Mr. Smith is a republican.
Henry Franklin Smith; Farmer; Cedar Township; born February 09, 1858, in Warren County, Illinois; educated in Knox county. His parents were James Bolin Smith, of Warren county, Kentucky, and Elizabeth Burns Smith, of Adams County, near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; his paternal grandparents, William and Malinda Petty Smith, came from Virginia; his maternal grandparents were John Burns, of Ireland, and Rebecca Leightener Burns, of South Carolina; his great-grandfather, John Smith was born in England. The Burns family were of Scotch descent. Mr. Henry Smith was married in Knox county, Julys 1879, to Sarah Elmina Hughey; their children are: James Wesley, Hattie Edith and Ira Reece. His father was reared and married in Kentucky, and removed to Missouri, where ea son, William T. was born, and where his wife died. He returned to Kentucky and was married to Ruth Watkins; he then removed to Warren County, Illinois, where his second wife died. His third marriage was with Elizabeth A. Burns; their children were John L; Henry F. James B. Robert M., George W; Charles Eugene; Cyrus H. Mary A., wife of M. Kennedy; Hattie, deceased; and Laura R. He bought a farm of two hundred and forty-four acres in Cedar Township, where he died at the age of seventy-eight. H. F. Smith lived three years in Nickolls County and sic years in Frontier county, Nebraska, where he engaged in Stock raising. He sold his farm of three hundred and twenty acres for five thousand dollars. and after his return to Knox county, bought the old homestead where he has since lived. Mr. Smith is a Congregationalist. In politics, he is a democrat. Foxie's Note: Mr. Smith also has biography on the 1912 Knox county History Page.
Manly Smith; Farmer; Truro Township; born in Monroe County, New York, September12, 1849; educated in the common schools. His father, William H. Smith, was born in Saratoga County, New York; his mother, Mary Smith, in Monroe County, New York. he was married to Harriet Kinney, near Oneida. She was born in 1851 and is a daughter of John and Rhoda Kinney, who live at Oneida. They have four children; Irven C., born December 30, 1873, Walter M., born January 02, 1876, John born April 09, 1881; and Orpha, born September 23, 1888, all of whom are living at home. Mr. Smith came with his father, in 1855, from New to Kalamazoo, Michigan, where he lived for ten or twelve years He then came to Yates City, and now owns a farm in Truro Township In politics, he is a democrat.
Smith, M. L; Freight Conductor; Galesburg; born in 1844; in Cleveland, Ohio, came to Kirkwood, Illinois, in 1855. In 1861, he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Thirty-eight Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and served during the war. He came to Galesburg in 1877, and was employed as brakeman by Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company for about four years. He assisted in the offices of the company, and was afterwards made freight conductor, which position he now holds. He is a member of the Order of Railway conductors. In 1868, he was married to Elizabeth Carmichael. they have two daughters, Mabel and Bertha.
Stromberg, Nels O; Cabinetmaker; Galesburg; born July 28, 1829, in Sweden, where he was educated. His parents, Olof and Cary Truedson Nelson, came from Sweden as did his paternal grandparents. Nels and Nilla Swenson Peterson. Mr. Stromberg was married to Bessey Matson, in Sweden, December 31, 1853; their eight children are: Peter, John, William, Arthur, Edwin, Celia, Bessy, and Mary. Mr. Stromberg is a republican. He is a member of the Lutheran Church.
Swanson, Peter F.; Contractor and Builder; Galesburg; born in 1866, in Sweden, where he was educated. After coming to Galesburg he worked on a farm for four years, and then worked as carpenter till 1894; he then entered upon the business of contractor and builder, which he still follows. In the meantime, he took a course in the Galesburg Business College. Mr. Swanson was married to Anna Nellon November 27, 1895. They have a handsome home on Whitesboro Street.
West, Amy Rooks, Galesburg; born September 04, 1818, at Sempronius, New York; educated in the common schools. She was married to John Gibbs West December 29, 1836, at East Java, New York. Of this union six children grew to manhood: Charles, Lyman, Homer, Ira, Nehemiah, and Willard. John G. West, son of John and Sallie Woodcock West was born January 21, 1812. He came to Galesburg in 1836, with the first settlers, and died June 09, 1886. In religion, Mrs. West is a Congregationalist.
Willsie, Alfred N.; Engineer; Galesburg; born April 24, 1864; educated in the common schools. His parents were H. H. Willsie of Canada, and Betsy Nichols Willsie, of New York. He was married in Galesburg, November 21, 1888to Mata B. F. Baker. Mr. Willsie began work for the C B & Q R. R. in 1880, as errand boy in the master mechanic's office. He was promoted to foreman in 1890, he was made traveling fireman. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., No. 487, and also of the Forrester's. Mr. Willsie is a republican, and keenly interested in political affairs.
Williamson, Frank M.; Farmer; Cedar Township, where he was born, November 09, 1849; educated in the common schools. His parents. James and Safrona Bland Williamson, were both natives of Indiana. Mr. Williamson's father came from Sangamon County, Illinois, to Knox County in 1833. He had nine sons. May 28, 1833. Frank M. married his first wife Margaret Warren; they had five children; Warren, Elsie, George, Maud, and Maggie. The first Mrs. Williamson died in 1889, and October 15, 1891, Mr. Williamson married his second wife, Nettie Goddard in Warren County; she was a daughter of Robert Goddard. They had two children: Ruby and Pearl. Mr. Williamson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics, he is a republican, and was elected Justice of the Peace three terms; the first time was during Governor Oglesby's last term of office.
These are the 1899 Encyclopedia Link Bar are all typed by Kathy Mills & some by Foxie
and then emailed to me for processing Thanks so Much Kathy.......