Campbell, Orange Lowell
native of Knox County and was born in Knoxville, March 7, 1852. His
father was Elisha Campbell
, born in Gallipolis, Ohio. His mother
was Mary Amelia Lowell
, a native of Maryland.
As the name
indicates, Mr. Campbell’s ancestors are of Scotch descent. His
great-grandfather, John Campbell, was born in Scotland and was a
cousin of Thomas Campbell, the poet. His grandfather was also
called John Campbell, and was a man of broad culture and an
accomplished gentleman. He was a physician and poet, and during the
struggle for independence, became an officer in the Revolution. He was a
native of Virginia.
Mr. Campbell’s father was both a teacher and mechanic. As a
sergeant, he entered his country’s service in the War of the Rebellion
and was wounded in a skirmish at Fort Donelson. He was so injured as to
induce a spinal disease: but by exercising the greatest care, his life
was prolonged for fifteen years. At the early age of sixteen he left his
Ohio home coming first to Bloomington, IL., then to St. Louis, then to
Peoria, and finally to Knoxville. He resided in Knoxville for
twenty-five years, and then removed to Council Bluffs, Iowa where he
Mr. O. L. Campbell obtained his education in the public schools
of Knoxville. After receiving the customary training in the primary
grammar schools, he entered the high school, from which he graduated in
1868. In his studies he was proficient. The circumstances and conditions
of his boyhood opened up to him a practical view of life. When but a
lad, the bent of his mind was turned towards the printer’s art. Early he
entered the printing office of the Knox County Republican under
the editorship and management of Z. Beatty, and served there as
an apprentice almost continuously until Feb. 23, 1876, when he became
editor and proprietor. For nearly a quarter of a century, the Knox
County Republican has made its weekly visit in many homes and has
ever regarded as an interesting and reliable publication.
Mr. Campbell is certainly a public spirited man. Self-interest,
the main spring of action, has not been the all-absorbing passion of his
life. The many and various offices that he has held in different
organizations attest the fact that he has been a worker for the public
good. He was elected City Clerk of Knoxville for eight different terms
and served as Town Clerk for twenty years. In town and county he has
been the Secretary of twenty-two organizations. He was a member of the
Knox County agricultural Board for nineteen years, serving as Secretary
during the entire period. For seventeen years, he has served with credit
as Secretary of the Old Settlers’ Association. In 1892, he was one of
the originators and organizers of the Farmers’ Institute, and had held
the office of Secretary during the eight years of its existence. He is
also one of the organizers of the Knoxville Public Library; was a member
for eight years of the Board of Education; is a member of the Fraternal
Life Insurance Organization, called “The Miner of Honor”; was charter
member of the Home Forum, Sons of Veterans, and Modern Woodmen of
America. It is but truth to say, that Mr. Campbell has performed the
functions of these various offices acceptably and creditably.
Mr. Campbell’s great experience, well informed mind, and
readiness to assist in public enterprises, have made him a very useful
member of society. He attracts by his personal bearing, gentility of
manners, and frankness of spirit. He is liberal, kind, and charitable
and the golden rule of right doing and right living is his unerring
guide. He is frank, open hearted, consistent, and manifests in his daily
life honesty of purpose and integrity of action. In religious belief, he
is a Presbyterian. In political faith, he is a conscientious,
straightforward republican. Under President Harrison’s administration,
he was appointed Postmaster at Knoxville, holding the office for four
years. He is now Chairman of the Republican Congressional Committee of
the Tenth Congressional District.
Mr. Campbell was married in Knoxville June 19, 1873 to
Augusta Stowe Bull. Three children have been born to them:
Sterling H., Secretary of the National Railway Specialty Company,
Chicago; Charlotte W., teacher of English in St. Mary’s School,
Knoxville; and Mary, who was born Oct. 9, 1893.
Carns, John Z., President of the
Farmers’ National Bank, Knoxville; was born in Knoxville Sept. 8,
1858. He was educated at Knox College, Galesburg, IL. His father,
John W. Carns, was born in Virginia, and his mother, Sarah (Zook)
Carns was born in Pennsylvania.
Mr. J. Z. Carns was married in Knoxville, IL. Sept 10, 1890 to
Nellie Pierce. They have one child, Marie L.
Mr. Carns entered the Farmers’ National Bank as Assistant
Cashier in 1885, in 1887 was made Cashier, and in the spring of 1899, he
was elected President. In politics Mr. Carns is a republican.
Carson, Cyrus N., Knoxville, Dry
Goods Merchant; born in Pennsylvania, March 13, 1846; educated in
Pennsylvania public schools. Mr. Carson’s parents, John B. Carson
and Elizabeth (Shaffer), were natives of Pennsylvania, as were
his maternal grandparents, Daniel and Katherine (Eichelberger)
March 19, 1873, Mr. Carson was married to Ruth E. Baily
in Knoxville; they have four children: R. Baily, Elizabeth M., Ruth
E., and Margaret H.
Mr. Carson is a member of Knoxville Lodge, No 66, A. F. and A.
M.; also of Rabona Chapter, No 95, R. A. M., and of Illinois Council,
No. 1, of Knoxville, R. P. S. M. In politics he is a democrat.
Carter, D. M., Wagon and Carriage
business; Salem Township; born Nov. 8, 1838 in Gallia Co., OH.; educated
in the common schools. His father, George Carter, was born in
Gallia Co, OH., and died in Ohio at the age of 84. His mother, Phebe
(Ripley) who also died in Ohio, was born in New York; her father,
Joshua Ripley, a Baptist minister was a native of New York
State. George Carter’s father, John, was born in Shenandoah Vale,
Virginia, and lived to the age of 97.
Dec. 8, 1868, Mr. Carter married Miss L. J. Boggs in
Abingdon, IL. She was the daughter of Elliott and Elinor (McCoy)
Boggs, who came to Abingdon in 1864. Mrs. Carter was born in
Nicholas Co., W. V., Oct. 20, 1841. Both her parents are deceased; the
father died at the age of 70; the mother at the age of 80.
Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Carter: Etha B.,
born Sept 18, 1869; Myrta L., born July 10, 1873, died April 10,
1894; Earl M., born June 23, 1876. Etha B. graduated at
the Chicago Musical College; she married Dr. H. J. Hensley;
Earl M. is a graduate of the Illinois School of Dentistry at
Mr. Carter was a soldier in the late Civil War, a sergeant
in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-fourth Ohio Infantry. He worked
for the government in building and repairing ambulances and wagons until
Lee’s surrender. He is a member of the G.A. R., Yates City and has been
a member of the Board of Aldermen several terms. He was manager of a
co-operative store in Yates City, IL. for about ten years: U. S.
storekeeper at Peoria under Julius S. Starr for five years; and
now holds the office of Township Treasurer. In politics he is a
Carver, Edwin, Farmer and fruit
grower; Henderson Township; born June 28, 1834 in Fayette Co, IN. His
father, Jonathan Carver, was born on the Hudson River in New York
State, and died at the age of 82. His mother, Malinda (Nelson)
was a native of Augusta, Maine. His paternal grandparents, Elijah and
Susan (Longwell) Carver, were natives of New York State; his
paternal great-grandfather was Timothy Carver. His maternal
grandparents, Jacob and Mary (Campbell) Nelson, were born in
Maine, as was also his maternal great-grandfather, Jacob Nelson,
whose son Horatio Nelson, was in the naval service during the
Feb. 18, 1857, Mr. Carver was married in Fayette Co, IN., to
Nancy J. Van Buskirk, daughter of George and Rachel (Helm) Van
Buskirk, natives respectively of Kentucky and Pennsylvania. Both
parents died in Fayette Co, IN., the father being nearly 96 years of
Mr. and Mrs. Carver have one son, Grant, who was
educated in Galva and Chicago, and married Helen, daughter of
Mr. Carver came to Illinois, Oct. 18, 1865, and settled three
miles northeast of Lafayette, Stark County, on a farm of two hundred and
forty acres of virgin prairie, which he improved and subsequently
sold. He moved near Lafayette and from there, in 1880, to Galva, where
he engaged in the implement business. After five years, he returned to
the farm, which he cultivated until 1889, when he moved to Galesburg. He
owns sixty-five acres of land near Henderson, which he converted into a
fruit farm, a charming retreat greatly admired by Galesburg people. He
is a republican.
Cation, David C., Cashier;
Williamsfield, Truro Township; born in Millbrook, Peoria County, June
16, 1856; educated in Elba Township, Knox Co. His parents, James
Cation and Catharine (Gray), were born in Glasgow, Scotland; his
paternal grandparents, William and Margaret (Paul) Cation, were
born in Scotland.
He was married to Ella Barber Feb. 20, 1884 in Quincy,
IL. She was born Aug. 6, 1855. There are two children living, James
L., born Jan. 18, 1885, near McMinnville, Oregon, and Catharine,
born Sept. 10, 1891.
Mr. Cation has been a teacher in the public schools of Knox,
Peoria, and Stark counties, IL., and also in the State of Oregon. He was
in the employ of one of the largest lumbering firms in Portland, OR.,
for two years, and was a weigher and clerk with the grain firm of J.
W. Briedwell at Briedwell, OR. He was a student in Hedding College,
Abingdon, IL., took a course in Brown’s Business College, Jacksonville,
IL. He has been Town Clerk and Supervisor of Truro Township and is
Village Treasurer and Cashier of the bank at Williamsfield. In politics
he is a republican, and is at present a member of the Knox County
Cation, William, Farmer; Truro
Township; born Aug. 29, 1858, in Peoria Co.; educated in Knox
County. His parents, James and Catharine (Gray) Cation, were born
in Glasgow, Scotland; his paternal grandparents were William and
Margaret (Paul) Cation.
Dec. 28, 1882 in Galesburg, Mr. Cation was married to Sarah
A., daughter of Thomas A. and Olive Cowell; Mrs. Cation was
born Oct. 8, 1859. There were four children: Lulu Maud, born Mar.
22, 1885, died Aug. 30, 1888; Charles Arthur, born Aug. 2, 1889;
Lelah May, born Sept 22, 1892; William James, born Aug.
Mrs. Cation’s parents are now living in Elba Township.
Mr. Cation is a practical farmer, and has a very fine home. He
is a republican.
Caulkins, William, Knoxville;
farmer and fruit grower; born Oct. 30, 1843 in Washington Co, IN., where
he was educated in the district schools. His father, Samuel Caulkins
was born in Washington Co., IN., and his mother, Sarah A. (Stewart),
was born in Ohio. His paternal grandparents, Joel and Desire
(Barnard) Caulkins were natives of Onondaga Co, N.Y. Joel
Caulkins was born in 1782 and served in the war of 1812. He died in
May 1879; his wife died in 1858. William Caulkins’ maternal
grandfather was James Stewart.
Mr. Caulkins’ first wife was Mary Ward, whom he married
Oct. 10, 1868. They had ten children: Lewella, Mary, Cora, Olive Z.,
Delmer, William F., Charles W., Frederick, Lurissa, and Cornelius
R. Lewella married William Weikert of Orange
Township. They have one son, Earl. Mary married Albert
Weikert, of Knoxville. They have one daughter, Porthia. Mary
died April 7, 1898. Cora married Rev. F. M. Campbell; they
have a baby boy. Olive Z. married John Youngquist; they
have a son and daughter, Stirling and Cecil. W. Frank
married Gertrude Stokes.
Dec. 31, 1898, Mr. Caulkins married his second wife, Mrs.
Mary Briggs Runyan, in Peoria; she had seven children by her first
marriage: Leslie, Nellie, Flora, Edgar, Myron, Verne, and
Harold. Mr. Runyan died July 4, 1893.
In religion Mr. Caulkins is a Free Methodist. In politics he is
a republican. He is a member of G. W. Trafton Post of Knoxville, No 229,
Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Illinois. The ancestry of the
family is Scotch, Dutch, and English.
Challman, George E., Retired
Farmer; Walnut Grove Township; born Dec. 22, 1825 in Voxna, Norland,
Sweden, where he was educated, and taught the catechism of the Swedish
Established Church. His parents were natives of the Province of
Halsingland, and being persecuted because of their religious belief,
left Sweden in 1846, and settled in Henry County, IL. They were the
first emigrants of the “Bishop Hill Colony”, a socialistic, theocratic
community, with which they lived for two years. In 1848-49 they lived
with the “Puritans” in Galesburg. March 14, 1850, they started for
California by way of Salt Lake City, where they heard Brigham Young
preach; they were in the desert July 4, and west of the Sierra Nevada
Mountains in the gold region, July 14. Mr. Challman left San Francisco
July 21, 1851, on the steamer Oregon, returning east by way of Central
America, and the West Indies, reaching Galesburg in the fall of 1851.
He was married to Anna Lind in Knoxville, April 21,
1854. She came to America from Sweden in connection with the “Johnson
Party”. Her mother died soon after their arrival, and her father
returned to Sweden.
Mr. and Mrs. Challman have had four children: Amanda,
born Jan. 21, 1855, died Oct. 16, 1868; Rose A., wife of G.
Waite Robbins, born May 18, 1857, died Oct, 25, 1894; Elizabeth,
now Mrs. Justus A. Larson, living in Victoria Township, and
Hester Matilda, living with her parents.
Mr. Challman is a republican, and has been several times
delegate to the Republican Convention of Knox County. He has held the
following offices: School Director for twenty-seven years; Commissioner
of Highways; School Trustee; and member of the Public Library Board for
Walnut Grove Township. Mr. Challman is a prominent and influential man.
Chamberlain, F. H., Farmer and
Furniture Dealer; Salem Township; born Dec. 29, 1847 in Clinton Co., OH;
educated in Clinton County common schools. His father, John, was
born in New Jersey; his mother, Mary Jane, who is now living in
Viana, Clinton Co., OH., was born in Virginia. John Chamberlain’s
parents, William (who was a sailor) and Elizabeth, were
born in New Jersey. Mary Jane Chamberlain’s parents, Hadon and
Elizabeth (Smithson), were born in Virginia.
Dec. 18, 1879, Mr. Chamberlain married Charlotte M. West,
in Galesburg; they have three children: Bertha M., Edith W., and Glen
Mrs. Chamberlain is the daughter of Isaac N. and Charlotte
M. West. She was born in Salem Township Dec. 4, 1861; her father was
a large landowner.
Mr. Chamberlain came to Illinois in 1872, and farmed for a
number of years; then went into livery and harness business; later in
the grocery business; and now has a furniture and undertaking
establishment; he also carries a large stock of wall-paper, paints and
oils. He is a member of the I.O. of O. F., Lodge No. 360, Yates City. He
has been Constable for the town of Salem, and also School Director. In
politics he is a republican.
Chapin, Burrell N., Retired
Farmer; Knoxville; born Aug. 4, 1834 at Lewiston, IL.; educated in the
common schools at Farmington and Canton, IL. His father, Moses Bascom
Chapin, was born in MA., Sept. 21, 1805; his mother, Irenia De
Maranville, was born June 12, 1808 in Grafton, N. H., where she is
Mr. Chapin is of a Mayflower and Revolutionary ancestry, his
paternal ancestors, with but one exception, having fought for their
country, either against the Indians or foreign foe. He is a lineal
descendant of William White, the eleventh signer of the Mayflower
compact of 1620. His paternal great-grandparents were Captain Caleb
and Rebecca (Bascomb) Chapin, the former born July 1836, at
Barnardston, MA. His maternal great-grandparents were Charles De
Maranville of Freetown, MA, and Deborah (Lombard) De Maranville;
his paternal grandparents were Consider Chapin, born Aug 26,
1766, in Deerfield Township, MA, and Esther (Wallace) Chapin; his
maternal grandparents were Jabez and Comfort (Buffum) De Maranville,
the latter born Mar 15, 1782. Consider and Caleb Chapin served
during the Revolution; the former was in Shay’s Rebellion and the latter
in the Battle of Lake Erie.
Mr. B. N. Chapin was married Sept. 22, 1857 near Farmington,
IL., to C. Jane Culver. Three of their four children are now
living: Mrs. Edith Adelia McClure, of Knoxville; Mrs. Eva J.
Maple of Maguon; and Ora Eugene Chapin, lawyer, of
Chicago. Ora Chapin is a graduate of Knox College (1888) and of the
Chicago Law School. He has a large and lucrative practice, and has held
important offices in Cook County, including those of Deputy Sheriff,
Deputy County Clerk and Clerk of the Cook County Courts.
Mrs. Chapin is also of distinguished ancestry, among them being
William White of Mayflower fame. She is related to Peter Craps
and Silas Kirby, who were Revolutionary patriots. Her paternal
grandfather, Joseph Culver, served under Washington at Valley
Forge, and was at the surrender of Burgoyne. He was one of six men who
carried the wounded General Arnold on a litter from the
battlefield at Saratoga to Albany, New York. Mrs. Chapin and her two
daughters are members of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Charles, Captain George A.,
was for many years one of the most prominent and influential men in Knox
County. Though politically a democrat, he was for many years elected
Supervisor in an anti-slavery stronghold, and was the chosen leader of
the Knoxville party during the whole period of the county seat war.
He was born in Erie Co., N.Y., Dec. 25, 1810, the son of
Captain John Charles, a sailor upon the inland seas, who was born in
Pennsylvania Oct. 17, 1782, and Eunice Gates, born June 16, 1788
in New York. Captain John Charles came west in 1830 with his family, and
located on Section 28 of what is now Knox Township. For a year they
occupied an abandoned log cabin, found in the vicinity, then they moved
into a hewed log house built by themselves.
Here Captain George A. Charles lived until his marriage to
Pomelia Gardner, when he located a claim on Section 22 in the same
township. His wife dying after the birth of her first child, Rosalia,
who became Mrs. J. F. Earl of Mason City, IL, he was again
married, Dec. 5, 1843, to Doolinsky Post, daughter of Ezra and
Patty (Pratt) Post. By this marriage he had four children:
Alvira, Alanson G., Albion P., and Harley J.
Until 1870 he lived on his farm. Then he removed to Knoxville,
purchasing a residence on East Main Street, where he lived until his
death, Nov. 5, 1878.
Captain Charles was County Surveyor for four years, and
Supervisor of Knox Township for thirteen years. Coming to Knox County
with almost nothing, through his sound judgment and shrewd financial
ability he was able to achieve pronounced success. He was thoroughly
honest and upright, and made hosts of warm friends.
Clay, Hiland Henry, son of
John L. and Louisa M. (Balch) Clay, was born in Chester, Vermont,
Jan. 3, 1838.
His paternal grandfather was Timothy Clay, who was born
in MA. His paternal grandmother was Rhoda Lawson, also a native
of MA. His maternal great-grandfather was Hart Balch, who was
born in Boston. His maternal great grandmother’s maiden name was
Betsey Green. His maternal grandfather was Joel Balch, a
native of N. H., and his maternal grandmother was Betsey Stevens.
John L. Clay, the father, came to Knox County in 1837. He
bought four hundred and eighty acres of land in Galesburg Township, a
part of which has always been known as the “Clay” homestead. His
traveling companions were Adnah Williams, who founded the
“Williams Nursery” on West Main Street, and Stephen Fields. Both
Williams and Fields bought a tract of land. After making their
investments and examining this section of country thoroughly with a view
to future settlement, they all returned to Vermont.
In 1840, Mr. Clay moved to Illinois with his family, which
consisted of his wife and four children: Alonzo C., William L.,
Warren W., and Hiland H. They lived in Galesburg, then a small
village, nearly one year, until a house was built on the land which he
had already purchased. This land was all prairie, very fertile, and
became one of the best farms in Knox County. Here Mr. Clay lived until
he died, reared his family, and by his industry became a man of wealth
and standing. He was charitable and kind, a good neighbor and a fond
father. He was liberal minded, a thorough-going democrat, and was called
to fill several local offices, such as Assessor and Supervisor.
Mr. Clay married into a very superior family
intellectually. His wife’s maiden name was Louisa M. Balch, who
was born in Andover, Vermont. Her brother, Dr. William S. Blach,
was a Universalist clergyman, and one of the greatest orators and
debaters in the denomination to which he belonged. Mrs. Clay was a
strong, intellectual woman. She had a versatile mind, was well informed,
and always manifested true, motherly instincts in her family. Her
neighbors gave her the name of being a kind hearted woman, ministering
to the sick and needy as circumstances seemed to require.
Major H. H. Clay inherited some of the characteristics
and mental qualities of his mother. He was educated in the common
schools, finishing with a short course in Lombard University. He is
thoroughly posted in the events of the day, and has been a prominent
citizen in the community in which he has lived ever since he has arrived
at manhood. He was raised on the farm and farming has been his
occupation through life. His homestead embraces four hundred and twenty
acres of most excellent land, and he is regarded as one of the best
practical farmers of Knox County. During the Civil War, he enlisted in
the One Hundred and Second Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and
remained in service until its close. He participated in many hard fought
battles, such as Reseca, New Hope Church, Peachtree Creek, and siege of
Atlanta. On entering the army he was chosen First Lieutenant of his
company, and within four months thereafter, was commissioned as
Captain. In Dec. 1864, he rose to the rank of Major, and commanded his
Regiment until the close of the war.
As a soldier, Major Clay was a good disciplinarian, prompt and
intelligent, and always won the respect and confidence of his
command. His regiment saw the most active service after May 1,
1864. They were engaged in battle in the siege of Chattanooga and
Atlanta nearly one hundred days. They remained in this vicinity until
Nov. 15 when they entered the great army under General Sherman in that
ever memorable “march to the Sea”. Major Clay’s regiment participated in
the Grand March in Washington and was mustered out June 6, 1865,
disbanding in Chicago.
As a man and citizen, Major Clay has had an honorable
career. He is a man of strict integrity, sound judgment, and has a well
stored mind. He is not fastidious or squeamish, or burdened with the
conventionalities of life. He goes straight forward to his labors and
duty and leaves to others the freedom he himself enjoys. He is broad in
his views, liberal in his dealings, and charitable toward all. In
politics Mr. Clay is a consistent and unswerving democrat. All his life
he has been identified with that party. He has held several township
offices. In 1877 he was elected Supervisor, which office he filled most
Major Clay was married Oct. 14, 1878 to Jennie E. Clay,
daughter of James and Charlotte T. (Orcutt) Clay, residents of
To them were born six children: Fred C., John L., Walter T.,
Irving H., Marion and Roberts M. Foxie's Note:
descendants still owns & lives in the original Clay farm north and west
of Galesburg, IL.
Clearwater, Abraham S.,
Farmer; Ontario Township; born May 3, 1818, in Montgomery Co, N.Y.;
educated in New York State. His father, Jacob Clearwater, born in
New York, was of German descent, while his mother, Esther (Shealy),
also born in New York, was of Scotch descent.
April 13, 1856, Abraham S. Clearwater was married to
Margaret Jane McGregor in Ontario Township. Two children were born
to them: Clark A; and Carrie L, wife of Charles Moore. Margaret
Jane McGregor was born in Matilda, Canada; she was the daughter of
John and Jane (Wood) McGregor, who were natives of Canada; they were
of Scotch descent.
Abraham S. Clearwater came to Knox County in the fall of 1843,
and bought eighty acres of land in Section 30, which he converted into
one of the best farms in the township. Later he added one hundred and
three acres in Section 29, besides timber land in Rio. A farmer all his
life, his only official work was in some local offices. His word was as
good as his note. He was a man of sterling traits of character, a good
husband and father, of quiet disposition, and ever willing to aid a
He united with the Baptist Church in 1837. In politics he was a
republican. He died April 29, 1898.
Cole, Fred G., Farmer, Truro
Township; born in Peoria Co, IL. Aug. 8, 1863; educated at French
Grove. His father, William F. Cole, was born in Pittsburg, PA.;
his mother, Mary Ann (Cutter) Cole was born in Richland Co,
OH. His paternal grandfather, John Cole, was born in England; his
maternal grandparents were Isaac Cutter and Sarah Metcalf, the
latter was born in Richland Co, OH.
Feb. 13, 1885, Mr. F. G. Cole was married to Ettie M. Tucker,
who was born Aug. 16, 1865, a daughter of V. L. and Jane Tucker. They
had one child, Mabel J., born Nov. 17, 1888.
Mr. Cole lived for about five years in Kansas. He now owns a
farm south of Williamsfield. He is a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge,
No. 779. In politics he is a republican.
Cole, I. Frank, Farmer, Truro
Township; born Dec. 21, 1851, in Brimfield Township, Peoria Co, IL;
educated in the common schools. His father, William F. Cole, was
born in Pittsburg, PA, July 18, 1818 and died Dec. 23, 1883. His mother,
Mary Ann (Cutter) Cole, was born in Richland Co., OH, July 29,
1829, and died March 15, 1894. His paternal grandparents, John and
Jane (Bates) Cole, were born in England. His maternal grandfather
was Isaac Cutter, and his maternal grandmother, Sarah
(Metcalf), who was born in Richland Co, OH.
Jan. 11, 1877 he married, in Elba Township, Martha Ann,
daughter of J. C. and Margaret (King) Nelson; she was born Sept.
14, 1854. Of this union there were eight children: John, born
Nov. 27, 1877, died in infancy; Mary Ann, born Mar. 4, 1879;
Maud, born Nov. 18, 1880; Lemuel J., born Feb. 11, 1884;
Marge, born May 6, 1886; Sarah, born May 13, 1888, died Feb.
25, 1889; Martha N., born Sept. 16, 1889; and Frank Harrison,
born Aug. 23, 1891.
Mrs. Cole’s father was born in Altoona, Pennsylvania in 1816
and died in 1897; her mother was born in Richland Co, OH. In 1819 and
died June 19, 1897.
Mr. Cole is a charter member of the Modern Woodmen of America,
and has held offices in one of these lodges, in one of which he is a
Clerk. He has served as School Trustee one term. He began his education
in a log school-house of ancient date. In politics he is a republican.
Coleman, James, Farmer; Victoria
Township, born Dec. 27, 1830 in Mercer Co, PA. His father, Samuel
Coleman, came to Victoria Township in 1855, and died in 1875; his
mother came from Ireland. He was educated in the common schools.
Mr. Coleman was thrice married. His first wife died in
Pennsylvania; his second in Illinois; he married as his third wife
Eliza Kane of Victoria.
Mr. Coleman came with his father from Pennsylvania, and located
on a farm near him. He finally moved to the homestead where he now
lives. He has been School Director for twenty-one years. His children
are: Lincoln, John, William, Clyde, Francis J., Lottie, Ada F., and
Collinson, John Spare, was
born in Luzerne Co, PA., Jan. 28, 1850, the son of Charles and
Catharine A. (Spare) Collinson, the father was a native of
Yorkshire, England, born May 14, 1826, died Jan. 17, 1889, at the age of
62. The mother was born in Luzerne Co., Aug. 18, 1824, and died Mar. 27,
1899. His paternal grandparents, Thomas and Hannah (Codlin) Collinson,
were natives of Yorkshire; his maternal grandparents, John and
Catharine (Cline) Spare, were born in Pennsylvania, and were of
Mr. Collinson’s parents were married in Wilkesbarre, PA, July
18, 1847, and came to Knox Co. Oct. 15, 1852, the trip requiring
thirty-eight days. They settled in Lynn Township, where they bought two
hundred acres of land, which they improved and enlarged. They were
industrious and prosperous, and highly respected in the community. They
were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The father was a
democrat, and held local offices. They had eleven children, ten of whom
are now living, six sons and four daughters, all of whom reside near the
old homestead, excepting one son and one daughter. There were
fifty-three grandchildren and sixteen great-grandchildren.
Mr. John S. Collinson was raised on the old homestead, and
received his education in the common schools. Jan. 1, 1872, he married
Mary E. Carver, at the home of the bride’s parents in Lynn
Township: seven children were born to them: Nora A., born Aug.
21, 1873, died Mar. 7, 1887; Dennis A., born July 20, 1875;
Katie R. born Mar, 25, 1879, died Sept. 13, 1895; Wiley A.,
born Aug. 8, 1882; Judge T., born July 31, 1884, died Mar. 3,
1886; Cora S., born Aug 5, 1886; and Grove C. , born July
26, 1888, died Dec. 3, 1889. Dennis, Wiley, and Cora are at the old home
with their parents.
Mrs. Collinson, one of eleven children, was born Oct. 13, 1852,
and is the daughter of Thomas and Rebecca (Cameron) Craven, who
came from Carbondale, Luzerne Co, PA, and settled in Lynn Township in
1856. They purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land and afterward
bought one hundred and sixty acres additional on Section 28. They now
reside in Altona, Walnut Grove Township. They are members of the
Mr. Collinson has been very successful. He has a farm of three
hundred acres in Lynn Township, and eighty acres in Victoria
Township. He is a breeder of fine stock, and is one of the largest hog
raisers in Knox County. He is one of the directors of the Knox County
Fire Insurance Company, of Knoxville. He and his son, Dennis A.,
are members of the I.O.O. F., Lodge No. 511, Altona. Mrs. Collinson is a
member of the Order of Rebeccas. He is a democrat in politics and has
been School Director for a number of years.
Conner, James H., Knoxville;
Retired Farmer; born in Franklin Co, OH., Aug. 29, 1841; educated in the
common schools. His parents were Benjamin T. and Ellen L.
(Stephenson) Conner. The latter was a native of Ohio. His ancestry
was Dutch, German, Irish, French, and English.
Mr. Conner came to Knox County in 1843. Aug. 27, 1862 he
enlisted in Company F. Eight-sixth Illinois Volunteers, and was
honorably discharged June 6, 1865.
March 22, 1866, in Gilson, he was married to Esther Rambo,
daughter of Allen T. and Elizabeth (Shelton) Rambo. Mr. Rambo was
a native of Indiana, and was a gunsmith by trade. Mr. and Mrs. Rambo had
eleven children: Julius R., John S., Esther, Tabitha, Marian, Reuben,
Nancy K., Francis M., Thomas B., Judson, and an infant daughter. Mr.
Rambo died in April 1894, his wife April 3, 1891.
Mr. and Mrs. Conner have had eight children: Laura E., Dora
E., Ida M., Lurena E., J. Herbert, B. Franklin, L. Gertrude, and Bessie
B. B. Franklin died in his fifth year. Laura E.
married Lincoln Swigart; they have two children: Harry and
Charles. Dora E. married John Wasson; they have one son,
Mr. Conner is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In
politics he is a republican.
Conrad, Carl, Farmer; Rio Township;
born Mar 15, 1848, in Brengetosta, Sweden. His parents were Carl John
and Anna Louisa (Elstedt) Holt of Sweden; his paternal grandfather
was Peter Elstedt.
Mr. Conrad married Charlotte Granberg, Feb. 22, 1872, in
Woodhull. Nine children have been born to them: Alfred Benjamin,
David Amanuel, Gilbert Henry, Amanda Wilhelmina, Emily Augusta, Rose
Eilinda, Christian Lenne, Clara Sophia, and Anna Charlotte. Clara
S. died Nov. 28, 1877 and Anna C. died Dec. 14, 1877.
Mr. Conrad is a republican. He is a member of the Lutheran
Cooke, John, a native of
Pennsylvania, was born in Fayette County, Dec. 11, 1834. His father was
Thomas Cooke, who was born in the same county April 3, 1813. He
is still living very near the place of his birth, at the advanced age of
86. His occupation at first, was that of a miller; afterwards, a
farmer. He was a sturdy yeoman and earned a competence for himself and
family by almost unremitting toil. In 1848 he made an extensive trip
through the Mississippi valley when the means of conveyance and place of
entertainment were very unlike those of the present day. He passed down
the Ohio River, up the Mississippi to Burlington, thence to Mt.
Pleasant, Iowa, thence eastward to Macomb, Canton, Peoria, and finally
to his Pennsylvania home where he has lived in retirement these many
His mother was Eliza Frazer, who was born in Franklin
Township, PA, June 2, 1812. She was the daughter of Luke and
Elizabeth Frazer, and was a most estimable woman. She died in Knox
Co, IL. at the early age of 64.
The ancestry of this branch of the Cooke family in this country
is not far to trace. Some of them were among the early settlers of
Pennsylvania, and belonged to the Quaker fraternity. One somewhat
peculiar and distinguishing characteristic ran along the succeeding
generations of this family which is worthy of mention. They had a
“passion” for two Biblical names—Thomas and John. Away back in early
times, the family is represented by Thomas Cooke—a substantial
Quaker. Then comes a John Cooke, who is followed by a Thomas, then by a
John, and so on, even down to the latest generation.
John Cooke, the subject of this sketch, had no special
advantages for an education beyond the common schools of his native
town. He made a good use of his time and became well versed in the
practical branches then taught. His school days were intermingled with
his home duties and labors in a mill and on a farm. After arriving to
manhood, he pursued a similar occupation, until he came to Illinois in
1868. He first engaged in farming near Knoxville, which occupation he
followed for twenty-four years. In 1892, the Board of Supervisors of
Knox County elected him Superintendent of the Almshouse, which position
he still holds. The wisdom of this selection is shown in the air of
neatness and general good management that seem to pervade every
As a citizen, Mr. Cooke needs no encomium. By his own
exertions, he has earned his way in the world without assistance from
either friends or relatives. It is by attending strictly to the duties
and obligations of life that he has acquired a competence and a name for
honesty and integrity. He is considerate in action and has no
disposition to antagonize those with whom he comes in contact. He is not
forward in opinion, but always has a reserved force in his judgments. In
religion he belongs to the Christian Church, having joined in Fayette
City, PA., in 1875. In politics he is a republican.
He is a member of Pacific Lodge, No 66, A. F. and A. M., and of
the A. O. U. W. of Knoxville No. 126.
Mr. Cooke was married in Fayette County, PA., Oct. 2, 1856 to
Martha M. Torrey.
Cowell, J. C., Farmer; Elba
Township; born Dec. 25, 1860 in Henry Co., IL; his father, Thomas
Cowell, was born in the Isle of Man, July 14, 1827; his mother,
Olive (Kimball) Cowell, was born in Knox Co., July 5, 1837. His
grandparents were John and Susan (Corlet) Cowell, natives of the
Isle of Man. He was educated in the common schools.
Mr. Cowell was married in Peoria Feb. 19, 1885 to Nettie
Slocum. She was born in Peoria Co., Sept 26, 1861, and is the
daughter of John C. and Margaret Slocum, who live in Peoria
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Cowell are: Raymond, born
Mar. 29, 1886; Ethel Pearl, born April 8, 1888; Ralph Earl,
born June 16, 1890.
The father of Mr. Cowell came to America in 1846, and settled
on Section 5, Elba Township, where he has a farm of one hundred and
Mr. Cowell owns a good farm of one hundred and five acres on
Section 5, and raises stock and good horses. He is a democrat.
Cox, Levi J. Farmer; Ontario
Township, where he was born on Section 21, Jan.1, 1849; educated in Knox
County. His parents, James R. and Emma (Pittard) Cox, were born
in Somerton, Somersetshire, England, where they were married. They came
to the United States in 1848, with his grandfather, Joseph Cox,
who was also born at Somerton, but died in Kansas at the age of 98. The
latter’s wife, Sarah Davis, as well as Emma Pittard and
her father, were natives of Somerset. James R. Cox was born in
1815 and died May 13, 1897, at the home of Levi J.
Levi J. Cox was reared on a farm, and at twenty-five years of
age he had only three hundred dollars. He bought forty acres of land on
Section 16 for two thousand dollars, upon which he made a small
payment. By industry and economy he soon paid for his farm, and now owns
four hundred and fifty-nine acres of land, one hundred and twenty acres
of which he inherited from his father.
September 3, 1873, he was married to Elizabeth West in
Galesburg. They have two children: Arthur B. and Stewart J.
Mrs. Cox’s father was Samuel West, a farmer of Green Co,
PA. He moved to Morgan Co, OH., and died there when 78 years old. His
wife, Catherine Anderson, was of Scotch descent. She died in
Ohio, and her daughter came to Illinois with her brother, Isaac P.
West, and lived in Woodhull, Henry County, until her marriage.
Samuel West’s father, John, was kidnapped in Glasgow,
Scotland, before the Revolution, and brought to the colonies, where he
was sold to a Quaker near New York. He enlisted in the Colonial Army,
hoping to come across the sea captain who had sold him. He settled in
Green Co, PA. where he died.
Levi J. Cox is an A. F. and A. M., Oneida Lodge, No 337. In
politics he is independent.
Coziahr, Wilson, Farmer; Rio
Township; born July 9, 1846, Ontario Township, Knox Co, IL.; educated in
the common schools. His parents were Ludwick and Christian (Brown)
Coziahr; his paternal grandparents were William and Susanna
(George) Coziahr, and his maternal grandparents were Joe and
Lydia (Harmous) Brown, of North Carolina; his great-grandfathers
were Ludwick Coziahr and Abel Brown.
Mr. Wilson Coziahr was married to Emma Bowers in Ontario
Township, Oct. 2, 1873. There were ten children, five sons and five
daughters; one son is deceased.
Mr. Ludwick Coziahr came with his wife and three children to
Illinois in 1841, and settled in Henderson Township, then removed to
Ontario Township, and later to Rio Township, where Mrs. Coziahr died
April 15, 1899, at the age of 81 years.
Mr. Wilson Coziahr is a Protestant. In politics, he is a
democrat, and has served for a time as Road Commissioner.
Craig, Alfred M., is a man of
characteristic personality. His look and his general bearing indicate
decision of character and strong intellectual endowments. He is a native
of Illinois, and was born in Paris, Edgar County, Jan. 15, 1831. His
father was David Craig, a native of Pennsylvania, and his
mother’s maiden name was Minta Ramey.
David Craig was of Irish descent and was born in
Philadelphia. His parents came from the northern part of Ireland. David,
when a young man removed to Kentucky; but being unwilling to live in a
slave State, he came to Illinois in 1830. After remaining a short time
in Edgar County, he finally settled in Fulton County, where Justice A.
M. Craig was born.
Justice Craig’s father was a farmer, and it was on the farm
that the lad was brought up. His early advantages for schooling were
such as are incident to a new country and the life of a farmer boy. He
attended school in winter, and worked on the farm in summer, until he
entered upon a course of study at Knox College. In the fall of 1848, he
became a member of the preparatory class, and was admitted to the
freshman class in June 1849. With distinguished honor, he graduated in
June 1853. After graduation, there was no halting or indecision as to
his future course. Immediately he entered the law office of William
C. Goudy of Lewiston, IL., and after one year’s study, was admitted
to practice in all the courts of Illinois. In the fall of 1854, he
opened an office in Knoxville, which was then the county seat of Knox
County. By his perseverance and determination, he soon built up a large
and lucrative practice in Knox and the adjoining counties. His skill and
erudition in law are exemplified in the fact that he rarely, if ever,
lost a case at court. He continued his practice until June 1873, when he
was elected Justice of the Supreme Court of Illinois.
Justice Craig has richly earned the commendations and
confidence of his fellow citizens. His knowledge of law and his fidelity
in practice have opened to him places of honor and preferment. In 1856,
he was appointed States Attorney by Governor Mattison for the
Circuit, composed of the counties of Mercer, Henderson, Warren, Knox,
and Fulton. The appointment was for the unexpired term of one year,
caused by the resignation of William C. Goudy. In November 1861,
he was elected County Judge of Knox County and assisted in forming the
present constitution of the State.
Justice Craig has lived a successful life. He started in the
world a poor boy and by his good judgment and great business sagacity,
has become the owner of great possessions. He is President of the Bank
of Galesburg, of which he is the largest stockholder, and his landed
estates cover rich and extensive fields of territory. As a lawyer, he is
profound and a great judge. For the correctness and justness of his
decisions, his fame is unsurpassed. He is not an observer of
conventionalities, and is no servile worshiper of court etiquette. He is
plain in his manner, kind, social, and generous to his friends. He is a
student of human nature, and has won distinction more by his practical
common sense than by his knowledge of Latin or Greek. He has served his
county and his State faithfully and well, and is entitled to the
plaudits of all.
Justice Craig was married in Aug. 1857 to Elizabeth P.
Harvey, daughter of C.K. Harvey, who was a lawyer of eminent
ability. Mr. Harvey was born and educated in the State of Vermont. He
came to Knox County at an early day, and built up a large practice in
Knox and adjoining counties. He represented Knox County in the
Constitutional Convention of 1847. He died at Knoxville in 1848, at the
age of thirty-three.
Justice and Mrs. Craig have had four children, two now living:
Dr. A. H., a druggist, and Captain Charles C., a lawyer,
both living in this city.
Cramer, Benjamin, Farmer;
Chestnut Township; born in Ohio, Jan. 10, 1839; educated in the common
schools. His parents, William and Sarah (Shutes) Cramer, were
natives of Ohio, and were born respectively Jan. 25, 1804 and Sept. 13,
1805, and died in 1875 and 1872. They were married Sept. 1, 1824. His
maternal grandmother was Sarah Shutes, and his paternal
grandfather was Adams Cramer.
Mr. Cramer was married to Louisa Haynes in November
1860, in Chestnut Township. They had four children: A. H., born
Dec. 8, 1861; George E., born Nov. 22, 1863; Grace C.,
born Nov 5, 1869; and Asa, born Mar 13, 1877.
Mrs. Cramer was born in Orange Township, Knox Co. IL, Jan 30,
1842. She was the daughter of Herman L. and Gerilla Haynes, who
died in Orange Township.
Mr. Cramer is a republican and has been Assessor for a number
of terms: Road Commissioner two terms, and School Director for twenty
years. He has been a dealer in grain and live-stock as well as a
farmer. His farm of two hundred and fifteen acres is situated two and
one-half miles southeast of DeLong on Sections 1, 3, 4, 9, and 10.
Mr. Cramer and his wife belong to the Methodist Church.
Crane, Henry Wetmore, son
of James W. and Cornelia L. (Wetmore) Crane, was born in Ontario
Township, Knox County, IL. July 7, 1859. The family is of English
descent, their history in this country dating back to early times in New
England. The parents of James W. Crane were born in CT., and settled,
immediately after their marriage, in Oneida Co, N.Y. James W. was the
fourth child and second son in a family of six children. The family came
to Ontario Township in June 1837, and settled on an unbroken prairie,
where they made a farm, and where the father of James W. died in 1848,
and the mother in 1854.
The parents of Cornelia L. Wetmore lived and died in New York
State, where her father was a successful merchant. She came to Knox
County about two years before her marriage.
Henry W. Crane was the oldest son, and was educated in the
Oneida High School, and in Knox College, Galesburg. He was married in
Henry Co., IL. Sept. 25, 1882 to Carrie Wood Stickney. They have
three children: Zina S., Mary Ann, and James Henry.
Mrs. Crane’s parents were Henry and Mary (Wood) Stickney,
old residents of Henry County, now deceased. Mrs. Crane was born in
Henry County, and received her education in Knox College, Galesburg.
Mr. Crane was one of the organizers of the Oneida State Bank,
and has ever since been on its Board of Directors and also a member of
the Finance Committee; he is also a farmer, or, more especially, a
manager of farms, as he rents his own farm and that of his wife, and
resides in Oneida, of which place he has been a prominent citizen since
1888. He keeps his land in a high state of cultivation by rotation of
crops, having always at least one-third of the area in pasture, or
meadow, and taking a share of the crop instead of a money rent, has
proved for him an element of success.
In politics Mr. Crane is independent. He has been a member of
the Board of Education, an Alderman and Mayor, to which office he was
elected in 1895, and which, by re-election, he has held to the present
time. He is a member of the Baptist Church of Ontario, and is a
thorough-going, progressive, public spirited citizen.
Crane, James Wilson, son of
Zina and Harriet (Hall) Crane, was born in Marcy, Oneida County,
April 20, 1829. His parents were born in Durham, CT., and died in Knox
County, the father aged 63 and the mother 58 years. His paternal
grandparents were Frederick and Anna (Babcock) Crane, and on his
mother’s side, Luther and Harriet Hall, all of whom were born in
Zina Crane, before coming west with his family in June 1837,
purchased three hundred and twenty acres of unbroken prairie land in
Knox County, to which he added one hundred and sixty acres of timber
land. In coming to Knox County he followed the example of Rev. George W.
Gale, of Oneida County, and one of the founders of Galesburg. He
assisted in the organization of Ontario Township, and was interested in
educational matters, and with Charles F. Camp, now deceased,
built the first school house near Ontario Corners. In politics he was a
James W. Crane came with his father to Knox County and became a
farmer and stock-raiser. He attended the common schools for a short
time, but received the principal part of his education by his own
efforts. He was married in Ontario Township May 29, 1854, to Cornelia
L. Wetmore, daughter of Jesse and Louise (Holmes) Wetmore. She
was born in Oneida Co., N. Y., Sept. 5, 1833. They have three children:
Henry W., now living in Oneida; Frank, a resident of
Cummings, Traill Co, N.D.; and Carl S., now living at the old
In early times Mr. Crane drove his stock to Galena, thirty or
forty days being required to make the trip. He at one time added one
hundred and fifty turkeys to his drove of hogs which were killed and
sold to the miners. It is said that Mr. Crane is the oldest resident of
Ontario Township; he is certainly one of the best known and most
influential farmers in Knox County. He has a farm of two hundred and
forty acres of choice land, a fine residence, and convenient farm
buildings. He has been very successful in his business, and formerly had
large land interests in North Dakota, which he sold to his son Frank,
who resides in that State.
In politics, Mr. Crane is independent. He is an attendant of
the Unitarian Church. He has traveled extensively in the United States,
is broad and liberal in his views, and is greatly respected and honored
wherever he is known.
Cronoble, George W., Farmer;
Knox Township; born in Center Co, PA., Aug. 22, 1840; educated in
Ohio. His parents, Jacob and Elizabeth (Houseman) Cronoble, and
his paternal grandfather, Adam Cronoble, were natives of
Pennsylvania. The ancestry of the family is German.
Mr. Cronoble was married to Sarah L. Elkins July 9,
1865, in Kentucky. They have six children: William H., Oscar C.,
Jennie M., John A., G. Edward and Artie B. William H. is a
farmer, and married Susie Mooney; they have three children:
Bernice, Russell, and Gale. Jennie M. married Charles H.
Aug. 2, 1862, Mr. Cronoble enlisted in Company F,
Eighty-third Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and was honorably
discharged June 26, 1865. He is a member of G. W. Trafton Post, No. 239,
of Knoxville, Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Illinois.
In religion Mr. Cronoble belongs to the United Brethren. In
politics he is a republican.
Cummings, Leonard B.,
Farmer; Walnut Grove Township; born June 28, 1823, in Knox Co, Maine. He
is the son of Suel and Sophia Cummings, and grandson of
Richard Cummings, who was of Scotch descent. He was educated in the
common schools; came to Knox Co., IL. in 1853.
He was married in Copley Township, July 16, 1854, to Celinda,
daughter of A. W. and M. A. Bulkeley. To them were born eleven
children, four of whom are now living: Lenora C., wife of O.
C. Housel, Galesburg, IL.; John A., Walnut Grove Township;
Aurelia C., wife of Theodore Cochen, Jr., Brooklyn, N.Y.; and
Grace C., wife of F. S. Stephenson, Oneida, IL.